F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > what percent tint
Extreme Powerhouse

06-24-2017, 09:41 PM   #45
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin36 View Post
I have always gotten mixed answers as to what California allows. I have read 70% is ok but also have read no amount of tint can be added. I have just accepted the risk and put on 20% and said fuck it. Have passed several cops since I put em on and haven't gotten any looks thankfully.
You could probably go a long time without getting hassled... but one law enforcement encounter could make your day a lot worse.

Vehicle Code §26708(a)(1) says, "A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows."

Tint film is a "material." There are other subsections that allow you to place it on the rear window, side windows behind the driver, and a strip at the top of the windshield. There is also an exception for "clear, colorless" films on the front side windows, but not tints (unless you have a letter from your doctor saying it's medically necessary).
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 10:30 PM   #46
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin36 View Post
I have always gotten mixed answers as to what California allows. I have read 70% is ok but also have read no amount of tint can be added. I have just accepted the risk and put on 20% and said fuck it. Have passed several cops since I put em on and haven't gotten any looks thankfully.
You could probably go a long time without getting hassled... but one law enforcement encounter could make your day a lot worse.

Vehicle Code §26708(a)(1) says, "A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows."

Tint film is a "material." There are other subsections that allow you to place it on the rear window, side windows behind the driver, and a strip at the top of the windshield. There is also an exception for "clear, colorless" films on the front side windows, but not tints (unless you have a letter from your doctor saying it's medically necessary).
Yea. I've come to terms with it haha drove with a 35% in my G35 for 3 years and was fortunate to not get pulled over for it.
      06-29-2017, 02:50 PM   #47
tegraphile
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Sedan M-sport.

I went with 35% all around and I'm pretty happy with the result. Initially I thought it might be too dark, but looking at cars on the road, I think it's fine. Allows enough light in during the day to see into the cabin, so hopefully won't draw any extra law enforcement attention.