F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Avin USA 10.25 android system install DIY
proTUNING Freaks

12-05-2017, 01:10 AM   #1123
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Well I finally got my unit and installed it today. I have the e93 version so maybe not seeing the same issues as the rest of you. I'm gonna list the problems that I see so we can start a running tab to report back to Tommy.

First off I have just updated to the November build with ID6 so should be on the latest. Also I have the OBD unit installed and the Torque app says it's connected w/ wifi but cannot talk to the car's ECU. Not sure if that's a setting or not yet.

The bugs that I'm seeing are as follows:
- Cannot control some menus (settings) with idrive controller.
- Cursor moves in the wrong direction initially when scrolling through menus.
- CarPlay keeps asking if I want this app to be default for this USB device even though I keep selecting it.
- The audio is sometimes grainy compared to the OEM sound, even if it's another aux (like tune2air) device.
- Phone calls should be taken over any other activity. Now I have to click phone to answer an incoming call.

Some of these may be settings (and I hope they are) but from what I'm seeing this is not a production ready product.

There are a couple of features that I'd really like to see added before I'd consider this a great product. First the quirks like the few above need to be ironed out.. I know there are more that others are having too. Second, I would like to see CarPlay get better integrated with the native iDrive controls like it is in OEM systems. When I press the talk button on my steering wheel I should be able to pick android or siri to talk to.

I'm not bagging on the Avin guys (yet) just want to try and work with them, and you guys to get a smooth working product.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 12:07 PM   #1124
fullcollapseca
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328ix GT

I've installed my unit (Nov. firmware) and Avin backup cam to a 2014 F34 328xi GT over the weekend.

Questions:
1. I've got Netflix to install, but has anyone figured out how to install Hulu?
2. Google Maps is insanely laggy for me and Waze wasn't originally working. Any fix for this yet? Any other offline program recommended?
3.Any updates on rearranging the menu, switching from KM to MPH?
4. Anyone come up with a faster way to hotspot an iphone?
5. Any audio setting recommendations? My audio is still horrible for most apps.

Suggestions

1. Consider programming the hot keys (1-8) so where pressing #1 would instantly kick in the AUX for Android sound. Pressing #2, would switch over to BMW original interface and switch sound to BT, USB audio, radio, etc.. instead of navigating to original car option on Android.

2. You might be able to buy a discounted ($40-$60) USB Carplay dongle off Aliexpress. They look strikingly similar to ones sold on Avin. Anyone have any success on this?

3. Wire the GPS dongle from the passenger side behind the plastic trim under the glove compartment, up to the right side of the front window. You can do it without any wires showing except when opening the passenger door.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 12:56 PM   #1125
KevDon92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

How does the stock radio tuner on the iDrive sound with this unit?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 02:13 PM   #1126
carlitos3
Rep
Drives: 328i

Hello you all, I am new to this site and I just installed the AVIN android unit in my car 328i (F30) 2013. I have an issue with the sound coming out from the Android unit, I spoke to AVIN (Tommy) and he mentioned to plug-in the AUX cable, by extending a cable to the ARM REST section. That suggestion to me doesn't make sense;

1. On the back of the OEM head unit (harness), I am assuming that somewhere there is the AUX connection coming out and extending to the ARM REST original configuration and for that reason why not just locate that cable that will connect directly to the AVIN unit.

2. I am not a big fan of having cables showing permanently and if I don't have any options it appears to me that I am going to remove and re-install the stuff that is on the way to extend the AUX cable to the arm rest from the harness.

I have read a lot of your comments of this thread but it is a lot to read (long thread), unfortunately I couldn't find anything related and I was wondering if you guys found a good reliable solution. Thank you all in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 02:27 PM   #1127
plikmuny
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d, 330D(2019)

Is there a good Samaritan here who would share the download link for November update from where all those who have this Avin device simply download and update?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 04:01 PM   #1128
Pupwiz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6

So I just finished my install on 2014 X6 still E71 design. For the most part everything went well. As I just got it I would have to assume that it's a gen2. I added the GPS splitting cable to the package as well as the external mic.
The installation was about 6 out of 10 as far as difficulty with a few thing being a frustration level of 10. I followed the posted video somewhat of the OP but as mine was a different version I ran into a few gotcha's and a couple bonuses but extremely thankful as the plugs and such where almost the same. For others in the X6 category here are are a few things that might help save some time.

1st the back of my x6 glovebox has a panel that removes easily for running the USB cables to the box.
I didn't have to remove the center vent and as mine has about 5 different wires running to it all tiny, I feared breaking something so I left it hooked up and just wrapped it with a soft rag when need it out then stored it back in it's original position when not.
The face plate on the DVD radio lower section, after the screws are removed is very hard to pop free. It only has two keepers on the lower section that are located at the end of the DVD slots where the dash angles in towards the windshield so you know where to pry but these two hung on to the point where I thought they were going to break before they let go. Once one pops the other gave up a lot easier.
The DVD face plate that stays attached to the radio has a tab on the bottom to keep it from moving left. The tab on the bottom has to be pushed and then slide it to the left slightly and it will come off the front of the DVD section. I broke one of the tabs before figuring this out so use caution as it only needs to go left about 2 millimeters if that. Then you can remove the ribbon cable to prevent damage to the face plate of the DVD.
Fitting all the wiring into the whole behind the radio and getting the radio in took 5 or 6 attempts as it doesn't want to go back in with all the additional wires. Use lots of rags to protect the dash and shifter so you don't mark things up making the numerous attempts. Patience pays off here and I don't have a lot so I was starting to loose it before it finally went in flush.

I only played with it for a few hours but was very impressed with the outcome vs the factory this thing is pretty sharp.
Only thing is with mine as well as the OP I have to switch back to the old system for the backup OEM camera to work so I'm hoping there will be a soultion to that someday.
Anyone need any questions answer on x6 E71 hit me up and I'll try and help you out.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #1129
fullcollapseca
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitos3 View Post
Hello you all, I am new to this site and I just installed the AVIN android unit in my car 328i (F30) 2013. I have an issue with the sound coming out from the Android unit, I spoke to AVIN (Tommy) and he mentioned to plug-in the AUX cable, by extending a cable to the ARM REST section. That suggestion to me doesn't make sense;

1. On the back of the OEM head unit (harness), I am assuming that somewhere there is the AUX connection coming out and extending to the ARM REST original configuration and for that reason why not just locate that cable that will connect directly to the AVIN unit.

2. I am not a big fan of having cables showing permanently and if I don't have any options it appears to me that I am going to remove and re-install the stuff that is on the way to extend the AUX cable to the arm rest from the harness.

I have read a lot of your comments of this thread but it is a lot to read (long thread), unfortunately I couldn't find anything related and I was wondering if you guys found a good reliable solution. Thank you all in advance.
For Auxiliary cable, there should be a plug on the main wiring harness that is 3.5MM, possibly labeled "aux out". Plug a 6 foot male to male aux cable from the aux out, feed the cable behind the stereo towards the passenger seat. You then push the cable and grab it below the glove compartment. tuck it behind the plastic trim leading towards the center console. Open the center console and take out the small protective mat. Feed a hard/flexible wire through the large hole down to the bottom of the floor, tape the aux cable to the wire and drag it back into the center console to plug into the aux.

Sounds complicated, but at the end no wires will show at all! Takes about 3-5 min.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 04:17 PM   #1130
fullcollapseca
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevDon92 View Post
How does the stock radio tuner on the iDrive sound with this unit?
Stock radio, CD, BT, USB from original BMW screen should sound exactly the same. Only audio from the Android side has issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #1131
Wolverine
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F36 420D GC M-Sport

Pleased with the update.

Going to play about a bit more tomorrow on the commute.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 07:13 PM   #1132
carlitos3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcollapseca View Post
Stock radio, CD, BT, USB from original BMW screen should sound exactly the same. Only audio from the Android side has issues.
How did you connect your audio from the android unit?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 07:27 PM   #1133
fullcollapseca
Rep

Quote:
How did you connect your audio from the android unit?
The cable wiring harness that connects between the Avin head unit and BMW stereo has an 3.5mm output labeled "aux out". You get about a 6 foot 3.5" aux cable to plug from this aux out line to arm rest aux input, switch your audio settings in BMW to auxiliary to get sound for Android interface.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 09:42 PM   #1134
carlitos3
Rep

Quote:
The cable wiring harness that connects between the Avin head unit and BMW stereo has an 3.5mm output labeled "aux out". You get about a 6 foot 3.5" aux cable to plug from this aux out line to arm rest aux input, switch your audio settings in BMW to auxiliary to get sound for Android interface.
Thank you for your help, did you remove some parts to conceal the cable or did you perform an easy install, having a visible AUX cable? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 09:49 PM   #1135
carlitos3
Rep

Smile

Quote:
For Auxiliary cable, there should be a plug on the main wiring harness that is 3.5MM, possibly labeled "aux out". Plug a 6 foot male to male aux cable from the aux out, feed the cable behind the stereo towards the passenger seat. You then push the cable and grab it below the glove compartment. tuck it behind the plastic trim leading towards the center console. Open the center console and take out the small protective mat. Feed a hard/flexible wire through the large hole down to the bottom of the floor, tape the aux cable to the wire and drag it back into the center console to plug into the aux.

Sounds complicated, but at the end no wires will show at all! Takes about 3-5 min.
Thank you very much, I will try that this weekend!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 12:42 AM   #1136
daxtor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: EBII F30 335i

Quote:
Thank you very much, I will try that this weekend!
Here is a visual guide of routing cables from the center console to the arm rest area:
http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=702457
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 05:13 AM   #1137
Adamantio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 420d G.C Msport

Hi, I bought the Android car usb adapter / Apple car play, but I did not understand how to use it and how it works, can someone explain it to me?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 05:26 AM   #1138
Adamantio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 420d G.C Msport

Also anyone knows if is it possible to use the touchpad of the idrive knob on the Android side?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 09:03 AM   #1139
carlitos3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxtor View Post
Here is a visual guide of routing cables from the center console to the arm rest area:
http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=702457
THANK YOU
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 09:09 AM   #1140
Pupwiz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6

Help with a couple questions.
Does the unit normally recognize night time for night mode? (google maps bright white at night).

Micro SD cards format - I have installed one but it's not showing up on the unit. Does it have to be in a certain format to be recognized?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 09:16 AM   #1141
carlitos3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantio View Post
Hi, I bought the Android car usb adapter / Apple car play, but I did not understand how to use it and how it works, can someone explain it to me?
Thanks
Contact AVIN and they will give you access to download the APP for carplay, before you do that make sure you connect the Carplay cable to the android unit, you shall have another cable with two USB ports from the android unit.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 12:24 PM   #1142
Wolverine
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F36 420D GC M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupwiz View Post
Does the unit normally recognize night time for night mode? (google maps bright white at night).

Micro SD cards format - I have installed one but it's not showing up on the unit. Does it have to be in a certain format to be recognized?
Thanks
Mine does the night mode in waze.

SD cards I think need to be FAT32?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 03:03 PM   #1143
a803sgo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M-SPORT (F30)

Quote:

Thanks
Make sure your timezone is right.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 04:51 PM   #1144
carlitos3
Rep

Quote:

Thanks
Format your card as fat32.
Appreciate 0