F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > So the Supra is getting a makeover...
ARMA SPEED

04-27-2010, 07:03 PM   #45
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

thanks for the support everyone ...should be back with some more updates soon...
      04-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #46
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Why not just use those work meisters in the background instead of the Axis wheels?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #47
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94JZA80 View Post
well the opportunity presented itself, so i figured what the heck lol...hopefully one day soon i'll be going all out on the motor, just like you're doing now. i'm still on the stock twin turbos, so i'm a prime candidate for going single. but that's another project altogether...plus i need to save up the $$$ to do it. after i get this cosmetic project out of the way, i'm going to install the MAP ECU II that i meant to install months ago. i'm curious to see how much more than 441WHP/429WTQ i can manage with a tune...

get it done man, and dont cut corners AT ALL in order just to get it done. Trust me, you'll regret that.

my car has been apart since the beginning of January and with the beautiful weather outside i'm dying to drive it, but I'm waiting on a few parts just because thats what I want to get done....u know?

oh, and I'd love to race your supra once its done

Could be a good run
      04-27-2010, 07:41 PM   #48
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoooon View Post
Why not just use those work meisters in the background instead of the Axis wheels?
a few reasons. 1) they're 5 x 120 bolt pattern (BMW fitment, not 5 x 114.3 like the Supra), and 2) they weren't my wheels in the first place - they belonged on my brother until his 99 M Coupe recently got totaled. they now belong to another M Coupe owner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
get it done man, and dont cut corners AT ALL in order just to get it done. Trust me, you'll regret that.

my car has been apart since the beginning of January and with the beautiful weather outside i'm dying to drive it, but I'm waiting on a few parts just because thats what I want to get done....u know?

oh, and I'd love to race your supra once its done

Could be a good run
i know EXACTLY what you mean...this project is already over a month behind LOL. but i'm exactly like you - take the extra time to do it right the first time around. it really does suck not being able to take advantage of the cool winter weather with our turbo'd cars, but honestly the cool weather is gone from here anyways. it started getting warmer down here a few weeks ago.

as far as a race, that would definitely be fun, although i think we're over 1,000 miles apart lol...maybe some day. although if i had to guess, i'd say you'd win every time (assuming you're running enough boost). even once i get the MAP ECU II installed, there's only so much one can squeeze out of the stock twin turbos...but i'm optimistic. if i got another 20-30whp out of it, i'd be thrilled. at any rate, a buddy of mine with a 35R e36 M3 made 527whp/505wtq on a dyno today @ 18psi, 100 octane (on a dyno-com dyno, which reads similarly to a dyno-jet). even that slight power advantage and probably significant weight advantage, i think he'd pull me good. i'm sure you'd do the same...now if you were only on 15psi and pump gas, i might be able to hang .
      04-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #49
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
a few reasons. 1) they're 5 x 120 bolt pattern (BMW fitment, not 5 x 114.3 like the Supra), and 2) they weren't my wheels in the first place - they belonged on my brother until his 99 M Coupe recently got totaled. they now belong to another M Coupe owner...

i know EXACTLY what you mean...this project is already over a month behind LOL. but i'm exactly like you - take the extra time to do it right the first time around. it really does suck not being able to take advantage of the cool winter weather with our turbo'd cars, but honestly the cool weather is gone from here anyways. it started getting warmer down here a few weeks ago.

as far as a race, that would definitely be fun, although i think we're over 1,000 miles apart lol...maybe some day. although if i had to guess, i'd say you'd win every time (assuming you're running enough boost). even once i get the MAP ECU II installed, there's only so much one can squeeze out of the stock twin turbos...but i'm optimistic. if i got another 20-30whp out of it, i'd be thrilled. at any rate, a buddy of mine with a 35R e36 M3 made 527whp/505wtq on a dyno today @ 18psi, 100 octane (on a dyno-com dyno, which reads similarly to a dyno-jet). even that slight power advantage and probably significant weight advantage, i think he'd pull me good. i'm sure you'd do the same...now if you were only on 15psi and pump gas, i might be able to hang .
well i'll probably be running 16-18psi w meth.....so we'll see what that puts down

I weighed my car last year w the current turbo setup and it was 3205lbs w a 1/2 tank of gas, my camera bag which is probably 30lbs and a full sized spare. So its probably a high 3100lb car in its current form as I've lost the spare in order to fit the meth setup. Nice and light!! Still heavy compared to an Mcoupe though
      04-27-2010, 11:53 PM   #50
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
well i'll probably be running 16-18psi w meth.....so we'll see what that puts down

I weighed my car last year w the current turbo setup and it was 3205lbs w a 1/2 tank of gas, my camera bag which is probably 30lbs and a full sized spare. So its probably a high 3100lb car in its current form as I've lost the spare in order to fit the meth setup. Nice and light!! Still heavy compared to an Mcoupe though
yeah, my brother's M Coupe was stripped down to ~2800-lbs...thing was ridiculously fast w/ the PT6262, even without the tune...
      04-27-2010, 11:56 PM   #51
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
some prior work cleaned up a bit before primer:

rear wiper and washer nozzle shaved:

other parts primed and ready for sanding:

the rolled fenders cleaned up:

04-27-2010, 11:59 PM   #52
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

Looks like work is going ahead really quickly.
I love the RMM wing - looks really similar to the TRD wing.
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 12:18 AM   #53
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The__J__Factor View Post
Looks like work is going ahead really quickly.
I love the RMM wing - looks really similar to the TRD wing.
alot of this stuff has already happened, and i'm just cutting and pasting the progress from another thread that i started on another forum. this thread is not quite up to date as the others, but i can only update so often without being in front of the computer for hours on end...

with regard to the wing, it is an exact replica of the TRD wing, the only difference being that RMM makes the center portion available in carbon fiber. there are eBay versions out there that make the center portion as well as the end plates out of carbon fiber...but i hear that they're hit or miss with fitment. so i didn't take any chances and went with a genuine RMM wing.
      04-28-2010, 12:28 AM   #54
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Ooh Okay I see.
It seems like I've seen pictures of these cars together on E46Fanatics. You and your sibling's cars.
Back in 2008 Haha

What car did your brother get to replace his Mcoupe?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...6&highlight=z3

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 12:46 AM   #55
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Im so happy that I found this. I dont like many JDM cars but the Supra is just awesome. Cant wait to see the finished product.

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 08:49 AM   #56
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoooon View Post
Ooh Okay I see.
It seems like I've seen pictures of these cars together on E46Fanatics. You and your sibling's cars.
Back in 2008 Haha

What car did your brother get to replace his Mcoupe?
wow we did that photo shoot so long ago lol...i was thinking of posting this build thread over at e46fanatics too, i just gotta find the time...

my brother has not yet gotten a replacement for the M Coupe...he's been toying with all sorts of ideas - Honda S2000, FD3S RX-7, Subaru Forrester (converted to STi spec), etc. - but i really hope he comes back to the Z3 M Coupe...either way, it'll be a while before he gets another project car...but rest assured that in due time he'll be pursuing another epic automotive project.
      04-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #57
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
hood and front fenders fitted:

cutting the hood and installing the AeroCatch locking hood latches:

well i said i wasn't going to post pics of the color samples b/c the camera doesn't do them justice, but here they are the original 3 (OE 1A1 Anthracite, 1A1 w/ 1 coat of graphite pearl, and 1A1 w/ 2 coats of bronze pearl) in case anyone was wondering. i didn't get pictures of the other 4 samples he made (1A1 w/ 1 Bronze pearl coat; 1A1, then 1 Bronze pearl coat, then 1 Graphite pearl coat; 1A1, then 1 Graphite pearl coat, then 1 Bronze pearl coat; 1A1, then 1 coat of a 50/50 mix of the Bronze pearl and Graphite pearl). i have until tomorrow to make my decision:

...if you can't tell the differences between them, i wouldn't be surprised...they were just too subtle for the camera to pick up. if i had to describe them, i would say that the graphite pearl had ALOT of blue flake in it. and when i wasn't moving the sample around in the sunlight, it blended w/ the 1A1 to make a gorgeous charcoal gray. when i moved the sample around in the sunlight, the graphite pearl shifted more than the bronze pearl did, resulting in a blue-gray sparkle than ran across the curves. the sample w/ 2 coats of bronze pearl was gorgeous too, but i'm not sure if its meant for the Supra. it turned the 1A1 very reddish-purple. the sample w/ 1 coat of bronze (not pictured above) was better, but i'm still uncertain about it. the various blends of both pearls all turned out quite similar (with very subtle differences), but all blends gave the 1A1 a distinct blue-lavender hue that shifted only about as much as the bronze pearl by itself did. the blends actually looked strikingly similar to a Lamborghini paint known as Grigio Iris, though a shade or two darker. once again, they looked stunning, but they left me feeling uncertain.

i know i originally said i wanted to add a pearl to make the car unique with a one-off custom paint job, but i think all of the samples with pearls on them are too much of a departure from the original color. unfortunately these particular pearls have a far stronger effect than many other pearls out there. that being said, i don't think i'm willing to sacrifice the color of my dreams for a color that i don't like as much - even if it makes me unique. i've craved an OE Anthracite respray for a LONG time, and i know it looks stunning on a Supra...so while i have until tomorrow to decide, i'm pretty sure its just going to be the OE 1A1 Anthracite.
      04-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #58
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
at any rate, a buddy of mine with a 35R e36 M3 made 527whp/505wtq on a dyno today @ 18psi, 100 octane (on a dyno-com dyno, which reads similarly to a dyno-jet).
Sniz,

i was wrong about the turbo setup on the M3...for some reason i've been thinking this whole time that my buddy was running a 35R on his e36 M3, but it turns out he's running a SC61 w/ .82 a/r. i believe its the remnants of an AA stage 2 turbo kit for the e36 M3, but i can't verify this b/c AA's website no longer seems to list turbo applications for the e36 M3 on their website.
      04-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #59
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Sniz,

i was wrong about the turbo setup on the M3...for some reason i've been thinking this whole time that my buddy was running a 35R on his e36 M3, but it turns out he's running a SC61 w/ .82 a/r. i believe its the remnants of an AA stage 2 turbo kit for the e36 M3, but i can't verify this b/c AA's website no longer seems to list turbo applications for the e36 M3 on their website.

I saw that over on bimmerforums

he'd like a 35r even better
      04-28-2010, 10:22 PM   #60
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

Quote:

with regard to the wing, it is an exact replica of the TRD wing, the only difference being that RMM makes the center portion available in carbon fiber. there are eBay versions out there that make the center portion as well as the end plates out of carbon fiber...but i hear that they're hit or miss with fitment. so i didn't take any chances and went with a genuine RMM wing.
Yep i had a celica before with a custom rotrex s/c set, i bought a TRD wing off ebay with the C/F mid blade. Fitment and quality was actually really good.

Car is looking bad ass.
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 09:15 AM   #61
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I saw that over on bimmerforums

he'd like a 35r even better
its very possible...but i guess it all depends on how power-hungry he is. if he's happy with the current power level, it'll be tough to convince him to go 35R when his power & torque curves are as nice as they are. to see 300whp/400wtq as early as 4000rpm is quite impressive. i know the 35R is a great match for those BMW 3.0-3.2 litre inline-6's, but unless i was looking for more power, i'd be pretty happy with the SC61.

on a side note, Shawn (A4RingedONE8T) and i had a brief discussion about hypothetical future situations last night ...since you saw Shawn's and Sam's dynos on bf.c already, i'm sure you're already aware of Shawn's plan to move to a smaller turbo in the near future. without going into too much detail (i probably shouldn't even be talking about it at this point), its very possible that Shawn's PT74 could end up under my hood . my biggest dilemma at this point would be coming up with the $$$ to have Shawn fab me a manifold and some custom exhaust piping, and purchase a wastegate. also, i'm not crazy about the idea of running such a large turbo on the stock fuel system. while i know it could make impressive enough numbers on stock fuel, i'm sure the area under the power & torque curves would suffer. i.e. without more fuel, i'll only be able to boost so high w/ a PT74, and that boost level probably wouldn't even begin to scratch the surface of the efficiency range of a PT74...spool time would effectively suffer, and lag would prevail. in effect, it would be a waste of a turbo on my car unless i upgraded the fuel system. its one thing to come up with the cash for a manifold, wastgate, and some custom exhaust piping...but add a fuel system to that, and we're easily talking another $1,000-$3,000. at any rate, its alot to think about, but its something i can't even consider until i have the funds...
      04-30-2010, 10:46 AM   #62
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
so it finally arrived...my strut bar, #003 of 150 :

...at first glance its nothing special, and it looks identical to the TRD stainless steel strut bar...but this bad boy is 100% titanium, and at 3-lbs and almost 4-ft long, it hardly weighed more than the packaging it came in. i'll get more pics of this piece early next week when we install it and test fit it with the hood...
      04-30-2010, 03:47 PM   #63
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

How do you sleep on a futon? I tried that for a couple of months and hated it when I was in college.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 04:23 PM   #64
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_TT View Post
How do you sleep on a futon? I tried that for a couple of months and hated it when I was in college.
i don't sleep on the futon LOL...that's my home office/guest room. i have a 21" thick pillow top matress in the master bedroom...after sleeping on that, i could never sleep on anything else...
      04-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #65
Chenry135
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former 2008 135i/ 2006 STI

Personally I think Supra's look the best wingless, but it looks like you are on the right track!!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 04:34 PM   #66
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenry135 View Post
Personally I think Supra's look the best wingless, but it looks like you are on the right track!!
for me its honestly a toss-up between the OE wing, the RMM wing, and wingless...i really cannot decide which looks best...i.e. i love them all equally. all other wings for the Supra look like sh!t IMO. i sported the OE wing for ~3 years and loved it, but i've always wanted the RMM wing, so i figured now was the time to do it. i'm sure i'll go wingless at some point...its just a matter of time (years most likely) until the next makeover happens...