F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > silvrbreez Glacier Silver Metallic F30 M Sport Journal
Extreme Powerhouse

01-20-2021, 07:52 AM   #89
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Well, THIS is my most recent pic...

Broken charge pipe. Yay! Already have the FTP upgraded pipe sitting in my garage. I couldn't install it fast enough. This is just under 60,000 miles.

I was planning to take the upgraded Turner stepped intercooler, FTP charge pipe, and FTP boost pipe to a BMW performance shop for the install. Now I guess I'll try to tackle it all in my garage.
      01-20-2021, 07:57 AM   #90
e90Nate
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
damn, did this happen on stock tune?
      01-20-2021, 08:17 AM   #91
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

Yep. Never flashed to MHD Stage 1. I was reluctant to do so on the factory charge pipe.
      01-20-2021, 10:07 AM   #92
e90Nate
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrbreez View Post
Yep. Never flashed to MHD Stage 1. I was reluctant to do so on the factory charge pipe.
damn, I better get a chargepipe for when my stocker blows
      01-20-2021, 12:56 PM   #93
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90Nate View Post
damn, I better get a chargepipe for when my stocker blows
For sure! I bought one because of all I'd heard on F30post and at the recommendation of a performance shop I planned to have do some work for me. Anyone with an N55 should make this a priority before 60,000 miles.
      01-25-2021, 01:15 PM   #94
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

Out with the old...

OEM intercooler, cracked OEM chargepipe, and OEM boost pipe/hose

In with the new...

Shoe-horned Turner stepped intercooler

FTP Charge Pipe at manifold connection (managble but a little tight to maneuver)

FTP Boost Pipe at turbo (super tight and difficult to maneuver)

Extracting the OEM chargepipe from within the engine bay, attaching the clip at the turbo on the boost pipe, and making clearance to fit the new larger stepped intercooler were the biggest challenges in this. Glad I was able to tackle it at home though and get it done.

So this is the latest rundown on the car...

So here's the breakdown of my 2015 335i as I picked it up CPO…
  • Glacier Silver Metallic
  • Black Leather Interior
  • M Sport Package
  • Premium Package
  • Driver Assistance Package
  • Technology Package
  • Adaptive M Suspension
  • M Sport Brakes
  • Fineline Anthracite Interior Trim
  • Pearl Gloss Interior Accents
  • Harman Kardon
  • M Performance Illuminated Door Sills
  • M Performance Black Kidney Grilles
  • 19" Orbit Gray Style 442M
  • Bridgestone Potenza S001 Run Flat

Here's a quick rundown of the modifications I've done thus far (UPDATED 1/25/21)...
  • XPEL Ultimate Paint Protection Film (Front Clip)
  • BMW All Weather Mats
  • Velsman Key Fob Protectors
  • Tempered Glass Dash Display Screen Protector
  • Replica M Performance Stainless Steel Gas & Brake Pedal
  • KUDA Phone Base (SOLD 10/27/19)
  • Scosche MagicMount Flush Mount (SOLD 10/27/19)
  • Dual USB Car Charger
  • Grolish M Puddle Lights
  • IND Painted Front Reflectors (Glacier Silver)
  • IND Painted Rear Reflectors (Dark Shadow)
  • Burger Motorsports Gloss Black Angle Cut Exhaust Tips
  • Black Aluminum License Plate Frames
  • Clear Smoked License Plate Protectors
  • BBS CI-R 19" staggered & Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
  • Debadged trunk
  • Posi-Quiet Pads
  • Dinan Springs & Supplemental Ride Quality Kit
  • IND Gloss Black hook and trunk roundels
  • Rennline Phone Mount
  • OEM Euro Spec Side Mirror Glass
  • Carbon Fiber front splitter for M Sport bumper (Amazon)
  • OEM Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps
  • Sylvania ZEVO 7906R LED bulbs for brake and rear turn signal bulbs (flashed for LED swap in Bimmercode)
  • MHD Flash Tune Software
  • FTP charge pipe & boost pipe
  • Turner Stepped Intercooler

Future plans include…
  • Turner Hi-flow Catted Downpipe
  • Adam's Rotors Sport II (overslotted)

Last edited by silvrbreez; 01-25-2021 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 10:47 AM   #95
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

Flashed to MHD Stage 1 (93 oct) this morning and ran some data logs on the way to work. The car felt very smooth. After analyzing the data logs, everything looked good with no sign of boost leaks or timing issues and targets for boost, fuel, throttle, AFR, and IAT all appeared to be in line.

The data below was compiled using Virtual Dyno software. Gains were negligible between the car at 100% stock and with Turner IC & FTP pipes installed. Gains with MHD Stage 1 tune appear in line with what MHD publishes. The cleanest runs were stacked on the Virutal Dyno for comparison.

+50 HP (~+20%) & +65 ft-lbs (~+25%)

More information on the Virutal Dyno software can be found at the thread below:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1710794

More information on MHD tuning can be found at the thread below:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1450585

Last edited by silvrbreez; 02-01-2021 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 07:22 PM   #96
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

So my Amazon deal carbon fiber splitters were crushed after too close of an encounter with a steep declining driveway. After about 12 months of caution with those, I found a situation I couldn't avoid and crushed one of them. In the process, it also caused the paint behind it to spiderweb and flake off once the splitter was removed.

I decided to make a change and go for something totally different. I also came to accept the fact that whatever I do for a splitter basically needs to be considered "sacrificial" with my daily commute and lowered drive height. This caused me to lean away from more costly carbon fiber options to replace what I had. I decided to go the M-Performance route and do so with a reputable replica style kit. Thinking of the cost and sacrificial aspects, I also decided to avoid painting any parts of the splitter. It's going to stay matte black and get abused as my daily driver. I'll preserve it where I can and might consider some matte PPF on the "fangs" to keep that area looking a little better longer.

I opted for Kies Motorspot's PhaseOne M-Performance kit. The price was right and backed by Kies well-respected service. It arrived well-packaged and I got to work straight away to assemble the two-piece kit. The assembly of the internal brace to the exterior splitter was straightforward using the provided hardware. The double-stick automotive tape provided was a little lacked though (more on that later).

I knew that the new splitter was going to cause my front to be a bit lower than the previous carbon fiber splitters, and I was already close to not clearing my Race Ramps setup. After ordering the Race Ramps extensions to decrease the approach angle, I was ready for the install.

The install was straightforward, but having two sets of hands was very helpful to do the tape-on part of the installation. Once adhered to the bumper, I fastened the lip to the bumper underside with new factory-style rivets (very easy and so glad I freshened those up) and a zip-tie on the far sides as shown in Kies' YouTube installation video. The splitter felt very secure and isn't going anywhere.

Pic of test fit...

Pic straight on after full installation...note the waviness inside the "fangs"

The waviness on the center portion was due to the less than effective double-sided tape between the internal brace and exterior lip. I attempted to wedge more double-sided tape in between there but quickly realized that this would still never do the trick due to the shape and overhang of the lip beyond the brace. I decided that one strategically placed black zip-tie would level out the waviness enough to satisfy me. I typically wouldn't resort to zip-tying a fix, but I had to remind myself that this lip is basically sacrificial, might last a year or so, and perfection in areas that most will never see wasn't worth shooting for.

After picking the spots, drilling a few small holes, and cinching the zip-ties, this is the adjusted fit. I'm happy with how it came out even though it's not perfect. It does make me wonder how the OEM kit addresses that overhand and if there is waviness in it too.

Here is a shot looking down at the front bumper to show the new extension and another from the side showing the profile.

I'm happy with the outcome and I'd do it again just like this.

Last edited by silvrbreez; 06-07-2021 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 2
      06-22-2021, 10:01 AM   #97
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

Latest pic...

e90Nate285.00
cfm56d7b5876.00
      07-04-2021, 11:15 PM   #98
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Latest pic...

Fantastic - being the last word. Congratulations!
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2021, 02:00 PM   #99
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

Coming soon!

jnj2455352.50
      07-28-2021, 10:02 PM   #100
jnj2455
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i 6MT/RWD/MPPSK/2VF

Quote:
Coming soon!

Will be interested in hearing your thoughts before and after. Suspension feel, steering feel, float, etc.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2021, 11:15 PM   #101
petey.ad
Rep
Drives: 335i F30

Quote:
Coming soon!

Looking forward to more updates!!! Your ride looks amazing!
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2021, 07:43 AM   #102
lovushka
Registered
Rep
Drives: f31 320d

love the color there
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2021, 08:00 AM   #103
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys. I definitely plan to share some before and after thoughts of the Dinan Shockware. I'm a technical guy, but I'm not up on all of the suspension lingo and any comments will be more "seat of the pants" based. I'm hoping to get the flash done on Friday 8/6, and I'll have about 90 minutes in the car between the shop and my house to gauge first impressions.

As a bit of background, I'm trying to take a scaled/staged approach to improving the stock M-Sport suspension. Bear in mind, my driving consists of a daily commute with some spirited jaunts on occasion with a few winding roads and several long straightaways.

I picked up a set of used Dinan springs and bump stops from a forum member a couple of years back and have enjoyed the lower ride height aesthetically, but there seems to have been a minimal or negligible performance benefit. I'd really like to reduce some of the body roll the car has, and to do that I plan to try and remove that with Dinan Shockware first then sway bar upgrades if I'm still not satisfied. The thinking is that I may be able to get the suspension dialed into where I want and can be satisfied without making the immediate jump to coilovers. If these steps don't address it to my satisfaction and I still feel the need to jump to coilovers, then only the $150 for the Dinan Shockware tune would have been lost.

So, my thinking is...

STEP 1: Dinan springs & bump stops - done January 2020
STEP 2: Dinan Shockware - pending August 2021
STEP 3: Turner Motorsports Sway Bar Upgrade Kit with Adjustable End Links (if I think it's necessary after STEP 2, but probably will do it anyway)
STEP 4: Ohlins Road & Track or KW DDC Coilover Kit (if I think's it's necessary after STEP 3)

I'm fairly green on this depth of suspension upgrades, so I'm open to recommendations or things to consider.

Last edited by silvrbreez; 07-29-2021 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 08:01 AM   #104
jnj2455
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys. I definitely plan to share some before and after thoughts of the Dinan Shockware. I'm a technical guy, but I'm not up on all of the suspension lingo and any comments will be more "seat of the pants" based. I'm hoping to get the flash done on Friday 8/6, and I'll have about 90 minutes in the car between the shop and my house to gauge first impressions.

As a bit of background, I'm trying to take a scaled/staged approach to improving the stock M-Sport suspension. Bear in mind, my driving consists of a daily commute with some spirited jaunts on occasion with a few winding roads and several long straightaways.

I picked up a set of used Dinan springs and bump stops from a forum member a couple of years back and have enjoyed the lower ride height aesthetically, but there seems to have been a minimal or negligible performance benefit. I'd really like to reduce some of the body roll the car has, and to do that I plan to try and remove that with Dinan Shockware first then sway bar upgrades if I'm still not satisfied. The thinking is that I may be able to get the suspension dialed into where I want and can be satisfied without making the immediate jump to coilovers. If these steps don't address it to my satisfaction and I still feel the need to jump to coilovers, then only the $150 for the Dinan Shockware tune would have been lost.

So, my thinking is...

STEP 1: Dinan springs & bump stops - done January 2020
STEP 2: Dinan Shockware - pending August 2021
STEP 3: Turner Motorsports Sway Bar Upgrade Kit with Adjustable End Links (if I think it's necessary after STEP 2, but probably will do it anyway)
STEP 4: Ohlins Road & Track or KW DDC Coilover Kit (if I think's it's necessary after STEP 3)

I'm fairly green on this depth of suspension upgrades, so I'm open to recommendations or things to consider.
I'm somewhat in your boat too. I don't know much about suspension geometry and how adding this or that will sharpen what. I also don't need/want my car to feel like it's a go-kart sitting mere inches off the ground. But there certainly is a bit of float even in sport mode and my low profile 19" tyres.

I've read anecdotally that the shockware makes the new comfort feel like the old sport, and the new sport mode is a whole other level. So looking forward to your results as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 08:35 AM   #105
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

I've heard the same.

I'm not certain that the factory EDC adjustments for Sport and Sport+ are even any different. I've tried to search around for what type of adjustments are made by the ECU, but I haven't turned up anything so far. Dinan also doesn't seem to publish the adjustments. It'd be nice to know what the factory EDC does vs. Dinan to see if you can feel the difference. For example, say factory EDC in Sport adjusts to 25% stiffer and Dinan takes that to 50%, will the before and after feel that signifcant or even more so.

Not only am I in the dark on the suspension lingo and what not, but I'm also a little in the dark in the Shockware specs. For $150, it seems like it's worth a shot to experience it myself since it's something form the R&D and Dinan, but then again maybe I'm a sucker for the marketing.
      08-04-2021, 11:35 AM   #106
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

I finally found something on the forums related to Dinan Shockware. I guess I wasn't searching the right places before. Below is a good synopsis of what Dinan Shockware does taken from the following thread...

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1172241

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
Wanted to pass along some good information on Dinan's shockware EDC reprogramming for those with the DHP package who are considering Shockware as a possible solution to alter the damping characteristics of the F series vehicles.

I first called a couple of local Dinan dealers in the Carolinas, but, candidly, they didn't have a lot of good information to share. They knew about Shockware in general and the procedure to have it installed, but, didn't have much specific information. As such, I decided to call Dinan directly and speak with someone there. Prior to calling Dinan, I jotted down some specific questions that I was seeking answers to. This list of questions was developed post my review of all of the available discussion on Shockware within the F30post and Bimmerfest forums. I even did some research on the shockware experience of folks within the F10 community.

Q. The stock EDC system is comprised of two damping modes....eco pro/comfort and sport/sport+. Does Dinan Shockware (referred to as "S-ware" for short, going forward) create a 3rd damping mode?

A. No. two modes only. Eco pro & comfort will share the same REVISED damping profile and Sport & Sport+ will share the same REVISED profile. Some folks have said that EcoPro provides the stock bmw "comfort" setting, post the S-ware reprogram. Per Dinan this is not correct.

Q. The Dinan website description is very generic and makes reference to things like "normal" mode, which really aren't applicable to the F30. That being said, does S-ware (a) "move" the stock Sport/Sport+ damping program to the REVISED EcoPro/Comfort setting and then create a new Dinan specific damping profile for the stock Sport/Sport+ setting; OR (b) is the REVISED EcoPro/Comfort also a customized dinan specific program?

A. (a)……..the S-ware moves the stock Sport/Sport+ damping program to the REVISED EcoPro/Comfort setting i.e. it does NOT create a customized damping profile for the REVISED EcoPro/Comfort setting.

The takeaway from this is that comments on the forums such as "the revised S-ware comfort setting is somewhere between the stock BMW EcoPro/Comfort setting and the stock BMW sport setting" is not correct, per Dinan. The S-ware EcoPro/Comfort setting IS the stock BMW Sport/Sport+ setting.

Q. The stock BMW EDC programming is adaptive in nature i.e. the dampers are continuously adjusting based on sensory inputs throughout the vehicle. Does the S-ware program retain this “adaptive” nature or does the damping program become a 2 setting “static” affair?

A. The adaptive nature of the EDC program is retained post S-ware. The dampers will adjust based on road characteristics and sensory inputs.

Q. Is the stock DME program modified in any way as a result of S-ware?

A. No, the DME program is not touched. The S-ware is a direct reprogram of the Vertical Dynamics Management (VDM) control unit only. The VDM controls the damper valving. This is why the suggested installation time is a half hour only…..there is no DME programming involved.

Page 38 of the "BMW F30 Chassis Dynamics" technical write-up (google it for a PDF) goes into greater detail about the EDC system and the VDM…..if you care to learn more. (my comment, not dinan)

Q. Does S-ware alter the EPS (electric power steering) system?

A. No S-ware does not impact EPS in any way.

I am personally not interested in changing the stock springs, so I didn’t delve heavily into the merits of going with Dinan springs. The comments made by the Dinan rep in this regard were two fold (i) the stock cars are quite under damped, and (ii) while the S-ware is designed to work in conjunction with the dinan springs, folks have seen excellent results with just the EDC reprogram.

I hope this helps folks as they make their decision around this product.
UPDATE: Dinan Shockware install is scheduled for Wednesday, August 11. While I'm in the shop, I'm also going to have them upgrade the stock plastic "Mickey Mouse" coolant flange with an upgraded aluminum flange from FCP Euro and do a full coolant flush. I'm at over 65k miles so it's probably due anyway. I'm also going to get a fresh set of plugs dropped in so that I'll be ready for MHD Stage 2 soon whenever I can get around to picking up the new downpipe.

Last edited by silvrbreez; 08-04-2021 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
jnj2455352.50
      08-05-2021, 08:39 PM   #107
jnj2455
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This is going to be a good way for me to kill 45 mins reading through the responses lol.

I also wonder if I, an LCI model that supposedly had tweaked suspension from pre-LCI, will notice as much of a difference?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 12:12 PM   #108
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

LIVE UPDATE FROM THE SHOP…

The plastic "Mickey Mouse" upper coolant flange that I'm having replaced with a new aluminum one as preventative maintenance, because they are prone to fail, crumbled apart as they removed it from the car. I'm at just over 66k miles.

If you haven't done this yet, I suggest you upgrade that flange ASAP.

Also learned that my front tires are threaded slightly in one area. New rubber is going on tomorrow.

Still waiting for the rest of the work to finish to test out the Dinan Shockware flash on the way home (1 hr 45 min drive).

WELL …

Add me to the list of F3X owners who were unsuccessful in attempting to have Dinan Shockware flashed to their car. Despite being equipped with M-Adaptive suspension all of the associated EDC modules/ECU, and after multiple attempts by the shop to flash the software, a call between Dinan and the shop (which has successfully flashed Shockware on other F-chassis vehicles recently) identified that Dinan was unable to recognize the vehicles ECU. That's where the explanation stopped and that consistent with the feedback other forum members here also received.

It seems like this is still hit or miss and I believe it's a rarity, but add me to the group of unsuccessful attempts. The shop did note that the two most recent vehicles they successfully flashed either LCI models with the B58.

Guess it's time to save up for those sway bars.

Last edited by silvrbreez; 08-11-2021 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 11:26 PM   #109
gerdasmi
Rep
Drives: BMW F11

Sick build
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2022, 03:51 PM   #110
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

PHOTO UPDATE

Got some recent updates installed and snagged some new pics in the driveway. New additions since my last set of photos include...
  • KG Splitters sides and rear splitters: I picked these up as a more complete alternative to the M-Performance style side skirt extensions. My thinking was value and more pieces. The thickness meshes well with the styling of the M-Performance style front and rear, but if I'm being honest the verdict is still out on this one to me. It's a good product, but I think I may end up preferring the streamlined and consistent styling of the M-Performance style side skirt extensions a bit more. We'll see if they stay or go.
  • Tommy L Garage mudflaps: I've never been a mudflaps on my car kinda guy, but there is no denying that the simplistic design of these does a good job of reducing the daily road grime from my commute. They are slim enough that they tend to disappear at most angles, but I'm still getting used to the aesthetic. We'll see if they stay or go.
  • OEM M-Performance Carbon Fiber Trunk Spoiler: Picked this up from a forum member on here. Great deal for OEM carbon. Couldn't pass it up.
  • Kies Motorsports PhaseOne M-Performance Style Rear diffuser: Went to Kies for the front so went back for the rear. Fitment was probably 8 or 9 out of 10. Two of the tabs below the reflectors took some massaging to get them engaged. Other than that, it completes the M-Performance style look in the rear.
  • Andream MMI CarPlay Decoder Box: After much back and forth in my mind about a EVO retrofit, I decided to just keep some cash and do the MMI box. The Andream support on this forum is tremendous, so it seemed like the best route for me to get it in and troubleshoot if need be. The hardest part of the install was removing the glovebox. Works like a charm.
  • Valentine V1 Gen 2 with Blendmount: Been eyeing radar detectors for years and decided to opt for the tried and true Valentine. I went with there newest option, the Gen 2, and paired with my phone to take advantage of the tethered GPS capability with supported apps via Bluetooth. I had the suction cup mount for about a week before I realized that the Blendmount would definitely clean things up. Glad I splurged on that.

Still in love with these wheels...

Not hellaflush, but just right for me and my daily commute...

Freshened up my mobile car care kit with a trunk bag from Griot's...

Last edited by silvrbreez; 04-17-2022 at 08:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
e90Nate285.00