F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Inlets and Outlets
Studio RSR

10-18-2021, 01:07 PM   #1
Bmweth24
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F32

Inlets and Outlets

Currently getting a MST inlet. Also are outlets a necessary because I see no forums of the oem breaking on people.

2014 m sport 435i rwd fbo upgraded turbo
VRSF Chargepipe, vrsf race fmic, and hi flow downpipe
BMS aluminum elite intake
Stage 2H 93 bootmod3
ngk Cold spark plugs 0.020
PR Ignition Kit
Vargas stage 1 upgraded turbo
93500 miles
xHP stage 3 transmission tune

Last edited by Bmweth24; 10-18-2021 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 01:13 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

MST and CTS have the best design. If you read the main thread on inlets, you will see that several were tested and those came out on top. https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1656337&page=8

Other ones are OK, and will be better than stock, but i would just wait for the "best" ones. Check various vendors to see if you can find one who has them.

The TIC does not fail like CP, but some people say the TIC swells/balloons when you get into higher boost levels. I can see why, it is quite thin and malleable. I didn't really notice a difference with the TIC change, more something i would just do while you are in there or if you have an issue.
Appreciate 2
AmuroRay2165.00
johnung4510.50
      10-18-2021, 01:20 PM   #3
Bmweth24
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
MST and CTS have the best design. If you read the main thread on inlets, you will see that several were tested and those came out on top. https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1656337&page=8

Other ones are OK, and will be better than stock, but i would just wait for the "best" ones. Check various vendors to see if you can find one who has them.

The TIC does not fail like CP, but some people say the TIC swells/balloons when you get into higher boost levels. I can see why, it is quite thin and malleable. I didn't really notice a difference with the TIC change, more something i would just do while you are in there or if you have an issue.
Nice I just found a MST on ebay it was the last one and ordered.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 01:37 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55up View Post
Nice I just found a MST on ebay it was the last one and ordered.
I hope you made sure it was the v2 version (there are v1 and v2)
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 04:08 PM   #5
Bmweth24
Private
Rep

Quote:
I hope you made sure it was the v2 version (there are v1 and v2)
Yea it was the V2 version also will this fit with the any outlet I get?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 04:11 PM   #6
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Yea it was the V2 version also will this fit with the any outlet I get?
Yes sir
      10-18-2021, 04:16 PM   #7
Bmweth24
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Yes sir
Thank You Sir
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 04:18 PM   #8
Bmweth24
Private
Rep

https://www.racdyn-usa.com/PROD/139+...8aAn2hEALw_wcB

Is this a good one? The only one I could find.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 04:24 PM   #9
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
https://www.racdyn-usa.com/PROD/139+...8aAn2hEALw_wcB

Is this a good one? The only one I could find.
Ive never seen that one. All the major brands make one, its called TIC or turbo to intercooler pipe usually. ER, VRSF, FTP, etc should all have one.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 04:52 PM   #10
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Ive never seen that one. All the major brands make one, its called TIC or turbo to intercooler pipe usually. ER, VRSF, FTP, etc should all have one.
It looks like an FTP. Do you think there is any value to wrap the TIC in reflective tape? And is it really a larger diameter compared to stock?
      10-18-2021, 05:22 PM   #11
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
It looks like an FTP. Do you think there is any value to wrap the TIC in reflective tape? And is it really a larger diameter compared to stock?
Reflective tape would not be desirable on a TIC pipe. The compressed air comes out of the turbo hot on its way to the intercooler to be cooled down. The stock plastic TIC isn't going to give off much heat. But an aluminum TIC is going to be radiating more heat which is desirable. It's best for the boosted air to lose as much heat as possible on its way to the engine.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2165.00
      10-18-2021, 05:55 PM   #12
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I went back and forth in my head about wrapping the TIC before i installed it. I decided against it, based on the assumption that the air coming out of the turbo was hotter than the TIC and the surrounding air. So, wrapping it would actually be counter productive.

Also stock TIC isnt plastic, its rubber like a radiator hose but very thin (with metal ends).
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 10:53 PM   #13
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I went back and forth in my head about wrapping the TIC before i installed it. I decided against it, based on the assumption that the air coming out of the turbo was hotter than the TIC and the surrounding air. So, wrapping it would actually be counter productive.

Also stock TIC isnt plastic, its rubber like a radiator hose but very thin (with metal ends).
Yeah, wrapping the TIC would just force more heat into the intercooler and make it work even harder. It's kind of the opposite situation from the downpipe. I purposely ceramic coated my Fabspeed downpipe because I didn't want it giving off more of that really high heat in the engine bay near the turbo. Ceramic coating it helped it to sweep more heat down and out through the exhaust system.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 11:16 PM   #14
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Yeah, wrapping the TIC would just force more heat into the intercooler and make it work even harder. It's kind of the opposite situation from the downpipe. I purposely ceramic coated my Fabspeed downpipe because I didn't want it giving off more of that really high heat in the engine bay near the turbo. Ceramic coating it helped it to sweep more heat down and out through the exhaust system.
I considered using exhaust wrap on my DP but i read a bunch of threads that recommended against it, mostly because moisure could become trapped and make things rust. I would also be a little concerned about potentially overheating the cat on really long pulls or hard driving but not sure about that part. If i was catless i would have definitely wrapped it.
Appreciate 1
johnung4510.50
      10-19-2021, 05:34 AM   #15
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I considered using exhaust wrap on my DP but i read a bunch of threads that recommended against it, mostly because moisure could become trapped and make things rust. I would also be a little concerned about potentially overheating the cat on really long pulls or hard driving but not sure about that part. If i was catless i would have definitely wrapped it.
The owner who ceramic coated my catted downpipe said that when he coats catless downpipes he does them completely inside and out. The ceramic coating discourages the metal from being a heat sink and flows the heat right through to the exhaust.

I did my DP in black a few years ago to fly under the radar. Looks more like a shadow underneath and doesn't stand out. But they have a lot more ceramic coating colors now. I snapped a photo that I will attach.

I'll post a link in case someone reading this is interested. They do great work and people ship them parts to coat all the time. They are in PA.

https://boneheadperformance.com/
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-19-2021, 05:41 AM   #16
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I had a similar conversation with a race car builder about turbo blankets. He said the downside was that it would cover up a problem like a turbo oil leak until it was too late.

(Note: His opinion was that a turbo blanket wouldn't do much if anything on a street engine but that they had benefits on the track on very high horsepower race engines)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 12:57 PM   #17
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I had a similar conversation with a race car builder about turbo blankets. He said the downside was that it would cover up a problem like a turbo oil leak until it was too late.

(Note: His opinion was that a turbo blanket wouldn't do much if anything on a street engine but that they had benefits on the track on very high horsepower race engines)
Well the benefit of wrapping/coating anything upstream of the turbo (and the turbo itself) is different than wrapping anything post-turbo.

The keeping in the heat pre-turbo increases the amount of energy that goes through the turbo, so more energy is spent spooling than "wasted" as heat. This is why heat wrapping a manifold for example can actually be a big benefit. Its the same reason why a lot of OEMs tuck the turbos into the V of engines now (audi i know for sure does, i think Merc does as well) - very short exhaust runner length from cylinder head to turbo and minimizes heat loss.

Wrapping post-turbo is more just for underhood heat control and doesnt actually affect the turbo itself.

The ceramic coating is nice and i might have done that had i planned ahead more before i installed my DP lol
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 01:45 PM   #18
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Well the benefit of wrapping/coating anything upstream of the turbo (and the turbo itself) is different than wrapping anything post-turbo.

The keeping in the heat pre-turbo increases the amount of energy that goes through the turbo, so more energy is spent spooling than "wasted" as heat. This is why heat wrapping a manifold for example can actually be a big benefit. Its the same reason why a lot of OEMs tuck the turbos into the V of engines now (audi i know for sure does, i think Merc does as well) - very short exhaust runner length from cylinder head to turbo and minimizes heat loss.

Wrapping post-turbo is more just for underhood heat control and doesnt actually affect the turbo itself.

The ceramic coating is nice and i might have done that had i planned ahead more before i installed my DP lol
Yes, thanks for pointing those out. My comment was aimed more at similarity of what you said about potentially trapping moisture & causing rust etc. How turbo blanket can coverup problems like oil leaks from being seen. I wasn't thinking big picture
Appreciate 0