F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Tablet Install - Controlling heater controls
ARMA SPEED

02-14-2023, 03:27 AM   #1
_F30_UK_
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d Xdrive

Tablet Install - Controlling heater controls

I am planning to do a tablet install in my f30, with the tablet fitting in the center of the dash covering the heater controls area, (The screen at the top of the dasboard would stay as it is). I would like to be able to control the heating controls from the tablet itself, along with the stereo volume etc. I can think of 2 ways to do this:

1. Wire each switch up to a new "central control unit", and have a USB C wire between the control unit and the tablet. When a button is pressed on the tablet, it sends the command to the control unit, which then "presses" the button (by joining the wires for a split second). The problem with this approach is I can't get any data back, i.e. how do I know what the current temperate is set to?
2. Intercept the cables that come to the back of the heater control unit and plug them into the new control unit. This way I would somehow have to decode what signal gets sent to the car when a button is pressed on the heater controls, and replay the signal from the tablet/control unit back to the car. I would also need to read the data that is being sent to the heater controls for the screen so I know what the current temperate is, what the fan speed is, what the heated seats are set to etc.

I would prefer option 2 so I am doing some research into it. I am comfortable with writing software and also working with electronics. My first hurdle is how do I check what signals are being sent from the control unit and what is being received? I plan to use a raspberry pi or Arduino for the control unit, and create the app in Java
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 07:57 AM   #2
zatelli
Private First Class
Morocco
Rep
Drives: 2013 RWD F30

Are you looking to upgrade to a digital air conditioner control panel? If so you can find two different models on AliExpress.Touch aircon for f30.
You'll want to transfer the EEPROM chips over to retain integration with the car's ECUs
Appreciate 0