F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B58 Engine: please post your experience, including problems / resolutions
GetBMWParts

04-19-2017, 06:06 PM   #133
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalkster View Post
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ght=belt+chirp

Is this it? I get it too, only on shifts though... although not too often because I let the car fully warm up before hard driving. Anyone who has been in my car and heard it thinks its a BOV haha, but when I first heard it I thought my tires squeaked on a patch of paint in the road or something.
That's totally it. To me sounds like soaping up a basketball and rubbing it against the windows
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 06:15 PM   #134
mwh2009
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araemo View Post
Great detail there. Sounds like they were thorough. I'm pretty sure my dealer had the same first steps as yours. However unlike yours, mine is consistently not working.

Nice that they checked for multiple days before giving it back to you.

They said my system was 'low' when they drained it (but not so low it should have caused a problem), around 1.1 pounds instead of 1.2 pounds (they quoted me grams for some reason, but the conversions match your work order. ~540 grams is 'full'). Hope they found the right root cause for you.
I'm a little suspicious that they never got to root cause, just because the SA said that the 'fix' was the second replacement compressor they installed. I guess if I drive it for a while, with no issues, I'll stop worrying.
No longer with me: 2018 Golf R, 2017 F80 M3, 2016 F30 340i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 08:40 PM   #135
Golo2016
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwh2009 View Post
So a final update on my car's A/C problem - after replacing basically the entire A/C system, (including a second compressor), the car is now functioning again after an additional month in the shop.

Sounds like they still aren't 100% sure what was the problem. It was intermittent and really tough to ensure that it was fixed.

The service department was great - courteous and transparent, but the problem was really frustrating. Finally got my car back last night. Missed it so much. (driving a loaner 320xi automatic will do that to you)

SO - haven't finished negotiating how BMW will make it right for me, but will post an update on how the dealership responded to a very unhappy customer after it's all said and done!
What dealer in VA is that? You can PM me if you don't want to post it.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 08:43 PM   #136
Golo2016
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskmaker76 View Post
Im having issues under my passenger seat... can't tell if it's the seat or some bracket undeserved it... or even under the car... sounds like rattling or something hitting
I also have so kind of "knock" noise, but mine comes from under the driver seat IMO. It does it sometimes, not all the time. Waiting till it start doing it more often before I let the dealer start the "can't replicate" bs.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 09:08 PM   #137
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Quote:
I'm a little suspicious that they never got to root cause, just because the SA said that the 'fix' was the second replacement compressor they installed. I guess if I drive it for a while, with no issues, I'll stop worrying.
Huh, the notes you posted don't really reflect that. It sounds like it was the thermal expansion valve, which is a complex enough mechanical part I could see it causing an intermittent failure... but I guess time will tell. It is weird that the notes don't list a compressor replacement, but the parts list does.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 09:01 AM   #138
f30m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Just got my first check engine light at 4900 miles. It came on randomly when I was sitting in my parking garage idling and turned my AC on. I'm not sure if it was a direct result of turning my AC on, but it hasn't gone away even with it off. Taking it in for an oil change tomorrow and they're going to inspect the check engine light too.
      04-20-2017, 09:13 AM   #139
cptcrunch
Captain Crunch
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek View Post
I gave you a "like/reputation/appreciate" point based solely on your signature where you quite rightly link to your before and after MPPSK Dyno's, still very much appreciated!
Well I appreciate your appreciation!

I realized yesterday that I hadn't added it to the signature and that I see threads on a weekly basis about people wondering if the MPPSK is "worth it" or "what the numbers are." And that adding it to my signature is an easy way to advertise the results.
Appreciate 1
Beek707.00
      04-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #140
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Based on what the dealership just told me, check your coolant levels if it stops working again.

So, it'll be two and a half weeks without my car by the time I get it back. It would be only 2 if I wasn't of town Mon-Thurs next week though.

They diagnosed a bad auxiliary coolant pump, and that was definitely one problem, but they found the likely cause of the bad pump: No coolant at all in that system due to a leak in the radiator. Apparently only the primary (high-temperature) coolant loop has a coolant level sensor, so there was no warning that the low-temperature loop was low/out. Given how long it took them they're doing a goodwill replacement on the radiator even though it looks like road debris damage.

No/low coolant in the low-temperature circuit prevents the condenser from being cooled (as well as not cooling the intake charge any, no wonder it felt like it was suffering more from the warm ambient temperatures than I expected), hence no AC. Two driving weekends down the drain, but oh well, I'll get it back in working order at least.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 12:31 PM   #141
f30m
Private First Class
Rep

Got my first limp mode today at 4900 miles. Took off from a light with about 3/4 throttle and about half way through first gear I got the warning and had to crawl to the side of the road. Shut it off and back on and it was fine. Does anybody know exactly what triggers limo mode?
      04-22-2017, 12:39 PM   #142
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30m View Post
Got my first limp mode today at 4900 miles. Took off from a light with about 3/4 throttle and about half way through first gear I got the warning and had to crawl to the side of the road. Shut it off and back on and it was fine. Does anybody know exactly what triggers limo mode?
Many possibilities. There isn't a single cause.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 07:07 PM   #143
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

My car has around 4000 miles on it and I am taking it to the dealer for some general noise issues (door seal noise and creaking from the passenger B pillar) but I also might have some noise from the engine checked out.

It's a little hard to explain but there is some crunching/rattling sound coming from the middle of the car closer to the engine (transmission maybe?) that can really be heard with the windows down and its even louder when I'm driving next to a wall or car. It seems be happening up to 4500 RPM at which point the exhaust overpowers it a little. It doesnt seem to happen when reving in park tho so only while driving I hear it. I got the car during the middle of winter so I'm not sure if it came like this since I only really noticed the noise with the windows down. I'll try to see if I can get it on video before I go to the dealer on Tuesday.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 07:45 PM   #144
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Did you get to read the code?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 07:46 PM   #145
f30m
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
Quote:
Did you get to read the code?
No I didn't get a chance to
      04-22-2017, 09:38 PM   #146
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No I didn't get a chance to
More than likely it'll store the code for a while, if you have a code reader that can show stored and/or pending codes, you might still be able to get it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 07:41 PM   #147
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Competition Gran Coupe

Mines in the shop now. I got an 'Emergency Call Malfunction' out of the blue... comes and goes but is mostly always there. Seems to affect my online search nav function.

Since I was there I mentioned the drivetrain malfunctions, and I also had one episode of super loud rattling noise in exhaust.

Will keep everyone updated.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 04:35 PM   #148
Bav@Heart
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_340i View Post
My car has around 4000 miles on it and I am taking it to the dealer for some general noise issues (door seal noise and creaking from the passenger B pillar) but I also might have some noise from the engine checked out.

It's a little hard to explain but there is some crunching/rattling sound coming from the middle of the car closer to the engine (transmission maybe?) that can really be heard with the windows down and its even louder when I'm driving next to a wall or car. It seems be happening up to 4500 RPM at which point the exhaust overpowers it a little. It doesnt seem to happen when reving in park tho so only while driving I hear it. I got the car during the middle of winter so I'm not sure if it came like this since I only really noticed the noise with the windows down. I'll try to see if I can get it on video before I go to the dealer on Tuesday.
I have all those as well. Mine is making a loud squealing noise for the first 30 second on cold starts. After that it quiets down, but i can sort of hear the same noise when accelerating lightly. As the car warms up more, I kind of hear it less, but it never truely goes away.

I took the car in and after a month and a visit from some special BMW mechanic, they decided it was the turbo making the noise so they replaced it, but noise was exactly the same the next day they gave it back to me. Even though, the shop foreman concluded the noise was no longer there.

I'm still waiting for a call back from service advisor to schedule the car to come back in.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 04:47 PM   #149
Bav@Heart
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M-Sport

My issues around 9k miles.

Noises from all doors, lube and clean, but it comes right back after a week​ or so.

Rattle on exhaust when turning on. It sounds like the flap, but doesnt bother me enough to complain about it.

Loud squeal from around turbo when started cold. New turbo from dealer did not solve problem. Still waiting on response from SA.

Loud "chirp" from when shifting 1 to 2 when somewhat cold. Usually for the first few shifts after putting on sport+ and using shifter. Rarely happens after that.

Blown speaker, dealer did not find any issues, but its because they put bass down, issue only happens when base is at least past half. Still waiting on SA for this.

Brake squeals real bad at low speed. I have the M handling package with blue brakes, dealer said it was common with "high performance" brakes. Not sure what to do, but it sounds horrible on parking lot.

One time doing about 5mph on slow traffic on the highway, I went to switch lanes and accelarated hard, but car just bounced revs on the limiter. It had traction control on, so it wasnt slipping. Additionally, I shifted up a few shift, but it did not​ take any shifts, once I let off the accelerator, all shift went in at once and jerked the whole car. I haven't even mentioned it to dealer because there were no codes, so I'm sure they won't do anything about it.

Hopefully BMW sorts this out because I really enjoy this car. More than my past 335's.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 06:37 PM   #150
Jaghave
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i (Auto) RWD

25k heard grinding noise when making sharp rights and left turn out my mudflap got a bit loose and rub against my tire.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 07:28 PM   #151
aigochamaloh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '16 340i MRM 8AT, 340i MGM 6MT

For my 6MT 340i, I had terrible sound compared to my wife's 8AT 340i. Took the car in for 1st oil change and they found the passenger side subwoofer under the seat not plugged in from factory. Easy fix.

For wife's car, I noticed the exhaust rattle on cold start up ever since delivery, and I could hear it from 3-4k rpm. Ignored on first oil change, I took it in again a month later, and issue was confirmed. They had the car a week. They removed the exhaust flap valve, then cold started next day. Then removed heat shields, cold started the day after that. Finally replaced the muffler with new unit and now no exhaust rattle.

We had a X5 sDrive 35i for a loaner and the B58 is SO much smoother than the N55. What a world of difference. Feels like gobs more torque, even though it's not, and just silky smooth.

Other than those minor things, the B58 has been flawless. I've been checking coolant levels and both cars are fine. We only have 6k miles on both though.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 05:24 PM   #152
lotus87
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340xi 6MT

Garage List
No major issues

340xi, 6MT (MY 2016, build Nov 2015) has been fantastic. Only issues have been:

- chip in wheel from shipping after ED - BMW dealer fixed & re-finished wheel
- Emergency SOS battery malfunction - they replaced battery

Has almost 14k miles on it, no complaints except the drivers in TX who cruise control 5+ in the left lane and oblivious to cars behind them. No engine rattles or weirdness, and luckily, none of the other issues reported above.
Appreciate 1
jalkster220.00
      05-17-2017, 06:32 PM   #153
calibro9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Incoming 2021 G80 M3 SPY

worst drivers ever down here bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus87 View Post
340xi, 6MT (MY 2016, build Nov 2015) has been fantastic. Only issues have been:

- chip in wheel from shipping after ED - BMW dealer fixed & re-finished wheel
- Emergency SOS battery malfunction - they replaced battery

Has almost 14k miles on it, no complaints except the drivers in TX who cruise control 5+ in the left lane and oblivious to cars behind them. No engine rattles or weirdness, and luckily, none of the other issues reported above.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 08:40 PM   #154
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bav@Heart View Post
I have all those as well. Mine is making a loud squealing noise for the first 30 second on cold starts. After that it quiets down, but i can sort of hear the same noise when accelerating lightly. As the car warms up more, I kind of hear it less, but it never truely goes away.

I took the car in and after a month and a visit from some special BMW mechanic, they decided it was the turbo making the noise so they replaced it, but noise was exactly the same the next day they gave it back to me. Even though, the shop foreman concluded the noise was no longer there.

I'm still waiting for a call back from service advisor to schedule the car to come back in.
I don't have any strange startup noise but my service adviser said that the noise while driving is normal and is coming from the injectors. I also noticed that the sound is more noticeable when the car is cold and when warmed up it's not bad but still there. I am going to take it to another dealer when my next service is due and see if they have a better answer.
Appreciate 0