F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Rim Color Suggestions
Extreme Powerhouse

04-23-2020, 03:35 PM   #1
jkbrennan97
United_States
Rep
Drives: In the market

Rim Color Suggestions

Hi everyone,

Looking to change up the look of my gran coupe. I have thought about applying a black powder coat to my current rims or just biting the bullet and buying separate rims. The benefit to the latter would be I would have the original rims of the car when I decide to sell it later on down the road but would mean shelling out more money.

Any suggestions as to which way to go? Also, if you have suggestions as to which rims I should consider, please let me know.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 03:44 PM   #2
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

what is your budget for rims/tires/tpms?

what wheel face style do you prefer? 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 15 spokes, twin spokes, U-spokes, Y-spokes, Mesh, lip, no lip?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Honestly i would just start looking through the threads and see what catches your eye. Asking other people what you are going to like seems a little odd to me, lol. Or just google gran coupe rims specifically and see what pictures of people's car come up.

The main reason to get new rims would be if you wanted a different style, width, and/or offset.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 04:13 PM   #4
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Power coat Lime Green. 🤣
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 08:44 AM   #5
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Style and aesthetics are really subjective. Go with what looks good to you. If you crowd-source you're decision, you'll only end up pleasing other people...and probably only a small group of them.

My only one input would be to not go with black wheels. IMO the color hides any design and the wheel essentially disappears against the black backdrop of the tires and wheel wells.
      04-24-2020, 09:19 AM   #6
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

He is just asking so I'm just giving him colors.

Sky Blue
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 09:49 AM   #7
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Nice ride. Really good points made already about subjective beauty. Personally, I like your current wheels - they have a strong presence. This may veer off your requested input, but if it were my vehicle... drop it a bit, add some aero (side and front, at least), consider a mild tint, remove the side reflectors, and remove the dealer tag. These modifications have a price range, but can be done relatively cheap. Certainly on par or less of getting a new set of wheels. Again, all personal opinion, but I don't think there is a wheel on the planet that you will install that will improve the overall look of your vehicle more than the changes I've suggested using your current wheels.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5849.00
      04-24-2020, 10:09 AM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
Nice ride. Really good points made already about subjective beauty. Personally, I like your current wheels - they have a strong presence. This may veer off your requested input, but if it were my vehicle... drop it a bit, add some aero (side and front, at least), consider a mild tint, remove the side reflectors, and remove the dealer tag. These modifications have a price range, but can be done relatively cheap. Certainly on par or less of getting a new set of wheels. Again, all personal opinion, but I don't think there is a wheel on the planet that you will install that will improve the overall look of your vehicle more than the changes I've suggested using your current wheels.
I must admit eleven11 thoughts are identical to mine. OEM 403M wheels are already one of the best looking wheels. These wheels are slightly heavier than other wheels, but - it is what it is.

Budget wise, https://www.hrewheels.com/gallery are not for everyone. Still - worth a look to get some ideas.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 02:37 PM   #9
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
I tend to agree as well. I would do a medium tint and black or CF decklid spoiler and then see how the car looks for you. And yes, get a better license plate frame front and rear (CF, black, //M, etc). Also, remove the front plate because its ugly. Yes, i know its illegal in CA, but i have been running no front plate at all and blank dealer tag with no plates for almost 2 years without an issue. Unless you are doing something else illegal and really need to avoid giving the police PC to pull you over for no front plate, remove it
Appreciate 0