F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Ordering MPPSK for 340i from another country and have it installed in home country
ARMA SPEED

03-06-2019, 07:52 AM   #1
tejula340
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 340i

Ordering MPPSK for 340i from another country and have it installed in home country

Hi,
as the title suggests - is it possible to purchase MPPSK package for 340i from UK (with correct part number, which is, by the way, same as part number in my country), have it shipped to my home country and have it installed at the local BMW certified service shop.

I found one package on ebay, costing almost 50% less than what my reseller (local) quoted me. I called my local dealer to let them know of this and they told me that they can't lower the price. Then, I asked them what if I order this package (MPPSK) from UK and have local reseller to only do installation (a requirement of MPPSK is to have authorized shop to do the fitment (due to warranty)) - they told me that this can't be done and that they will void my warranty if I do this.
I find this absurd. A seller on ebay is a BMW shop from UK (licensed) and they provide invoice with the purchase, so all is "legal". I believe our local BMW dealer told me this only to force sale of their items. But I do fear of losing warranty so I won't just order it from UK and then have it rejected.

So, are there any limitation to MPPSK kit from another country to ship and install it in another country? And mind you, UK and my local country (Slovenia) are both in EU zone.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 10:25 AM   #2
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

I think you have two problems here, the first is your local Dealer wants to make the markup on the kit so they are refusing to do the install, my question would be were you talking to Dealers parts dept or service dept. You may get a different answer from each department. Second problem is the DME needs to be updated for the tune portion of the MPPSK, if your "local reseller" has that capability then I would think you should be OK but I've not heard of anyone other than tuners like Mission Performance or Bootmod3 having that capability. Perhaps you should try other Dealers if that is an option?
      03-06-2019, 01:59 PM   #3
tejula340
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you for your input.

To make things clearer.

I bought my 340i last year at a local BMW shop. This shop also have a workshop where they service the cars. I'm sure they have the capability to update car computer (is this the DME you're referring to?), because recently they've updated my GPS maps.

So I called this BMW shop (the sales department) to ask for purchase and installment of MPPSK, which they provided. They quoted me a price of around 3,000 EURO, which is a bit high, but I guess that's the pricing they have. I asked for discount and they couldn't provide one. So I took the MPPSK code (the item code) and searched for it on ebay. I found one BMW shop in UK that is selling MPPSK for much cheaper. I checked and call them and asked them if they can sell me the package although I am not from UK (but I am from Europe). They told me that they order MPPSK packages in bulk and that this is the reason why they get the packages much cheaper. Also, they said that I can buy the package with them and have it shipped to my country.

So I called my local BMW shop again and told them of this discount. They told me that I cannot buy this MPPSK package abroad and install it locally as this will break my warranty (which I don't want to lose of course). They did not give a reasonable reason - it was just that "you cannot do it" and that's it.

Now I am asking you if there is any limitation due to country of sale of my car being different to country of sale of MPPSK package? Because the item code (and content) is the same here as it is in UK. The exhaust is the same (dual piped) and the coding probably can be done anywhere......?
Are there any limitations such as VIN limitation per country or something like this?

I am really eager to purchase this MPPSK and if I can get it almost half-price then I'm even more interested :-)

So to recap:

MPPSK package purchase in UK, at a certified reseller, with original invoice.
MPPSK installment in Slovenia, at a certified workshop, with original invoice.

Possible or not? Will that really break my warrant on the car?
Any info on this?

I would really appreciate a definite answer.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 05:06 PM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Only your regional BMW organization can answer this question. Is there BMW Slovenia just like BMW North America in the US? Calling them would be a good next step. There is no software in the kit.

MPPSK Kit contains the equivalent of a voucher with a code. The dealer sends the code to BMW (most likely BMW AG). BMW servers authorize the code - it's VIN specific - and then the ECU software upgrade starts.

There are no technical reasons why a MPPSK code generated by U.K. dealer cannot be used by the dealer in Slovenia. But warranty and other "cannot do it" reasons can exist. Simple call to BMW Slovenia (not the dealer) will be hopefully informative.
Appreciate 1
Beek707.00
      03-07-2019, 08:57 AM   #5
tejula340
Enlisted Member
Rep

Called the headquarters today. They don't know anything about voiding warranty if going this way....

Should I buy the package then? :-)

Well if say they will void my warranty then I guess I can still use just the exhaust? That surely can't void warranty??
After all, I'm more after the exhaust note than after the extra 40 HP to be honest...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 09:25 AM   #6
Aberle
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i Limited Edition MPPSK

My account of a similar situation acquiring the MPPSK: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1407601

With regard to warranty, in my particular case I can only tell you that the dealership said I would NOT have warranty on the kit, but everything else would remain unaffected, and I would have warranty on the installation.

To clear any possible confusion, they would cover any issue derived from them not installing a part properly, but if any part of the kit -say the muffler- had some kind of issue -out of the box- that would not be covered.

I guess you'd have to work out the details with your dealer.-
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2019, 12:13 PM   #7
tejula340
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well that's fine for me. If muffler breaks down (if this even possible?) I can afford and get a new one. All other parts of the kit are passive (hardware/metal) and the ECU upgrade is software (developed by BMW anyway).

However what I'm concerned about is the following:
If engine dies (or has serious problems) then I still wish to keep my warranty. I don't want them saying "you bought this kit on your own at your risk and it affected the engine". However this sounds stupid as the kit is made and installed by BMW.
This is what I'm mostly concerned about. I don't care about a few pieces of metal (the exhaust). I care about the whole engine.

On a side note - i still believe they're just simply trying to sell me the twice-the-price package. Which I understand - because we all want to make money. But to lie to the customer about warranty - now that's a dirty move.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 01:10 PM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

If anything happens to the engine, it would be difficult to prove that MPPSK caused the problem - if no other mods are present of course.

MPPSK is a BMW accessory installed by BMW dealer using BMW procedures.

The warranty and what is covered needs to be clarified. If the dealer installs MPPSK, any installation problems should be covered. If the exhaust for example has a problem with the valve, the dealer may or may not cooperate if the same BMW exhaust came from another country (less than logical but can happen). Reinstallation of the ECU tune should be covered if your vehicle has to be reprogrammed for some reason.

I hope all will be well. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2019, 04:20 PM   #9
tejula340
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes. It all sounds silly to be honest (BMW denying warranty because of installment of their proprietary equipment at their certified shop), but at the end of the day I do not wish to risk this. After all, if serious damage occurs (for any reason) they will probably look for any reason not to cover the damage and the "import" of MPPSK can aid them.
Again, it really sounds stupid. The more I mention it the more stupid it sounds TBH :-)
By this logic then I cannot buy a front splitter from another country and install it as this will void my warranty? :-D
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 05:07 AM   #10
tejula340
Enlisted Member
Rep

My local dealer called me today offering a hefty discount ;-)
Seems that they tried to persuade me the hard way, now they're changing the record. Bad cop / good cop approach I guess :-)
They offered me a 800EUR discount to almost match the imported part (because I would also need to pay for transport in case of importing which is not cheap due to the kit being oversized).
So I think I will go with the local option :-)

However for future reference to other members - I checked and import of MPPSK is not a problem and will not void warranty if ordered abroad and installed at local certified workshop.

Will keep you posted of the outcome.
Appreciate 2
Aberle74.00
Beek707.00
      03-08-2019, 08:54 AM   #11
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for sharing an update. Glad everything worked out to your satisfaction.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 02:42 PM   #12
mikt01
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejula340 View Post
My local dealer called me today offering a hefty discount ;-)
Seems that they tried to persuade me the hard way, now they're changing the record. Bad cop / good cop approach I guess :-)
They offered me a 800EUR discount to almost match the imported part (because I would also need to pay for transport in case of importing which is not cheap due to the kit being oversized).
So I think I will go with the local option :-)

However for future reference to other members - I checked and import of MPPSK is not a problem and will not void warranty if ordered abroad and installed at local certified workshop.

Will keep you posted of the outcome.
$800 EUR discount is quite substantial. I might have to see if any Canadian dealers would do the same.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 03:48 PM   #13
tejula340
Enlisted Member
Rep

Got the MPPSK installed today.

Just WOW.

The car pulls slightly better, but that's not the thing I'm impressed with.

The sound of the car is absolutely amazing. And just about right. Not too much, yet much louder than the original.

The thing I love the most is the actual change in sound when switched from comfort to sport+. IT actually sounds much louder, comparing to stock where there is little to no difference in switching modes (or at least I didn't hear it).

Anyway, this is by far the best decision I've made. Worth every penny.
The sound is so rewarding! It was too silent with stock pipes and even in tunnels if you blasted the car it merely sounded loud. But with MPPSK the tunnels are a real treat.

I also love the fact that when placed in comfort mode the car is maybe just 5-10% louder overall. Cruising on highway at 130kph is practically the same and effortless. And in town you can be silent and not appear an 18 yo racer kid.
Since my 340i is sport pack (not M) it also looks and sounds like a regular family sedan. But switching to sport+ makes so much difference now! I can see people getting confused by the appearance and sound of my 340, as it looks like a basic 318i.
I am not after the looks, I am after performance and sound. And this was just the perfect upgrade.
I believe 340i deserves a louder exhaust as it is a beast of an engine that needs to roar!

To anyone in doubt - buy the MPPSK. You can ask for discount.

10/10 upgrade.

Last edited by tejula340; 04-08-2019 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 2
cfm56d7b5883.50
Beek707.00
      04-08-2019, 04:31 PM   #14
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for sharing. Congratulations! Enjoy the car even more so.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2019, 08:43 AM   #15
tejula340
Enlisted Member
Rep

One question regarding MPPSK exhaust though.

Am I right to assume the flow of gas during comfort mode (labeled blue) and sport mode (labelled red):

So basically you control the sound by directing gas flow once through the muffler and once by bypassing it (red) with the help of valves (marked green) that are on each side? This is why it is so much louder in sport mode?
When in comfort the valve is closed and forces the gas to exit through the muffler. But once valves are opened the gas has less resistance to exit through straight pipes rather than entering the muffler?
Appreciate 1
Aberle74.00
      04-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #16
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep

Yes you have the exhaust flow mapped properly, I suppose some of the exhaust gasses could still flow through the muffler in Sport mode as the muffler is not blocked off by the valves but it would certainly be a very limited amount. The exhaust gasses will essentially follow the path of least resistance.
Aberle74.00
      04-14-2019, 04:52 AM   #17
tejula340
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you sir. I thought it is so.

I mean, the difference in loudness is drastic with this exhaust!
With stock sportline exhaust there is also a valve, but when opened, it only opens another pipe that exits through the muffler, so it only adds up a little sound whereas with MPPSK exhaust you are basically redirecting the gas flow straight from the catalyst directly out (straight pipe)? And as far as I know with MPPSK they also remove the resonator?

Amazing sound indeed!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 09:04 PM   #18
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejula340 View Post
Thank you sir. I thought it is so.

I mean, the difference in loudness is drastic with this exhaust!
With stock sportline exhaust there is also a valve, but when opened, it only opens another pipe that exits through the muffler, so it only adds up a little sound whereas with MPPSK exhaust you are basically redirecting the gas flow straight from the catalyst directly out (straight pipe)? And as far as I know with MPPSK they also remove the resonator?

Amazing sound indeed!
Correct and I agree, amazing sound.
      04-15-2019, 03:10 PM   #19
tejula340
Enlisted Member
Rep

On another note - i found out that on the invoice, which confirms that my car has MPPSK installed, it says in the bottom "In combination with the M performance Power and Sound Kit, the use of RON 98 (AKI 93) is recommended".
Are you guys running on premium fuel? Notice any difference? I've been told that modern cars can adjust depending on the higher/lower octane fuel detected in the tank and that pouring in 95/98 or 100 octane fuel will make no noticeable difference (except in the wallet)...

Your thoughts?

I mean, I'm sure BMW doesn't just recommend this fuel type for nothing, right?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 02:22 PM   #20
JohnyC1337
Rep
Drives: bmw 340xi

Hiho how much did you pay for that MPPSK in slovenia in the end? I am from czech republic and my dealer wants about 4000 euro for mppsk with carbon ends. I would mich rather make a trip to Slovenia and have it installed there in "your" dealer if the price would be better

I have found this which is about 1/2 price of what my delaer charges

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-340i-...kAAOSw51tdUXuS

Last edited by JohnyC1337; 02-13-2020 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 10:43 AM   #21
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i msport+ MPPSK

I wouldn't even mention you got it in the UK - it must be an EU wide accessory. Can't imagine it would differ from the German (or slovak?) part?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 12:37 PM   #22
JohnyC1337
Rep
Drives: bmw 340xi

Hmm the problem is that I checked ebay and they can ship it only into uk but not internationally... so I dont know how to get it. But my dealer told me they can install it for about 400E.
Appreciate 0