F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F36 Coilovers - limited selection?
proTUNING Freaks

02-05-2020, 03:08 PM   #23
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
How's your experience with V1? I'm looking for options for my F32 xDrive. Considering B14, B12 kit, V1 and Street Comfort. Just worried rear 1.4" minimum drop of V1 might be too much for Wisconsin. Also worried drop on B12 kit might be too minimal, the xDrive front wheel gap is ridiculous, rear seems pretty good so 1.4" drop will be too much.
I love it. I have it lowered all the way down and maybe halfway down in the front but you can definitely run it higher if you wanted. KW V1 is more leaning towards comfort and B12/B14 is more towards sporty handling. So it won't go as low and will be a bit stiffer. But both will perform better than stock IMO.

The only thing I don't like about Bilstein is I feel you can get similar performance with a spring/shock combo. But it you really want to dial it in and don't want to go much lower than say H&R springs, it'll be a good option.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 03:17 PM   #24
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
I love it. I have it lowered all the way down and maybe halfway down in the front but you can definitely run it higher if you wanted. KW V1 is more leaning towards comfort and B12/B14 is more towards sporty handling. So it won't go as low and will be a bit stiffer. But both will perform better than stock IMO.

The only thing I don't like about Bilstein is I feel you can get similar performance with a spring/shock combo. But it you really want to dial it in and don't want to go much lower than say H&R springs, it'll be a good option.
Any experience with B14 ride? Reason I'm leaning towards it is because the B12 kit is almost the same price and for me it seems like I'll get 20/10mm drop front/rear. Also the B12 kit drop is registered with stock shocks paired with Eibach springs, it is supposed to vary depending on the shocks/struts so I don't really know where the ride height will end up. Koni has nothing for F32 xDrive otherwise that would've also been a good option. For B14 the minimum drop is 30mm all around and seems like that will be perfect, I can also go lower on the front as there's too much gap as compared to rear.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 06:31 AM   #25
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
Any experience with B14 ride? Reason I'm leaning towards it is because the B12 kit is almost the same price and for me it seems like I'll get 20/10mm drop front/rear. Also the B12 kit drop is registered with stock shocks paired with Eibach springs, it is supposed to vary depending on the shocks/struts so I don't really know where the ride height will end up. Koni has nothing for F32 xDrive otherwise that would've also been a good option. For B14 the minimum drop is 30mm all around and seems like that will be perfect, I can also go lower on the front as there's too much gap as compared to rear.
Sorry, I was having a brain fart. I thought you were comparing B14/B16. I wouldn't go for the B12 personally, definitely at least opt for the B14. I also struggle with paying that much for a spring/shock combo when you can have proper coilovers for not much more.

I've been in cars with the suspension, just not BMWs. But it rode very well. Firm, but not harsh. Hope that makes sense.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2020, 08:28 PM   #26
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
No. Again, it all depends on what the end-user wants. A lot of people want coilovers for a stiffer, sportier ride. That may not fit your bill.

Also keep in mind that Tein, BC, Fortune Auto, etc. are all pretty much the same.
Wait what do you mean all those coilovers are the same?

Anyway I understand what you mean about stiffer spring for some people means sporty ride.

This is just an example: the m-performance suspension has only one part # for F3x 4 cylinder or another part # for inline 6
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 04:37 AM   #27
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Wait what do you mean all those coilovers are the same?

Anyway I understand what you mean about stiffer spring for some people means sporty ride.

This is just an example: the m-performance suspension has only one part # for F3x 4 cylinder or another part # for inline 6
What I'm saying is they are all pretty much the same chinese coilover system. you'll notice those along with megan racing and many others look the same, just different colors.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 09:17 AM   #28
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What I'm saying is they are all pretty much the same chinese coilover system. you'll notice those along with megan racing and many others look the same, just different colors.
TEIN is not chinese... its 100% made in Japan.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 09:26 AM   #29
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
TEIN is not chinese... its 100% made in Japan.
Yeah and Fortune Auto is made in america, etc. Just look at them. All of them have the same design, same adjustment ranges, etc. They all come from the same supply chain, just anodized different colors. Then companies buy the components and assemble them where they are located.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 09:41 AM   #30
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah and Fortune Auto is made in america, etc. Just look at them. All of them have the same design, same adjustment ranges, etc. They all come from the same supply chain, just anodized different colors. Then companies buy the components and assemble them where they are located.
Tein is an old guard JDM company.... together with HKS, Trust/Greddy, Tanabe and many more... megan came out sometime early 2000.... yeah by copying all the JDM to market to the cheap civic owners.

I understand your just looking at design... of course it's a copy because the McPherson strut are designed that way... and the perches for locking the ride are as old as two bolt nuts squeeze together. ...

Look at the German coilovers...there are the same either
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 12:13 PM   #31
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Tein is an old guard JDM company.... together with HKS, Trust/Greddy, Tanabe and many more... megan came out sometime early 2000.... yeah by copying all the JDM to market to the cheap civic owners.

I understand your just looking at design... of course it's a copy because the McPherson strut are designed that way... and the perches for locking the ride are as old as two bolt nuts squeeze together. ...

Look at the German coilovers...there are the same either
Lol you don't have to believe me if you don't want to. But bilstein, KW, H&R, etc. all have very different form factors. They also make their own shocks, springs, etc. that they sell individually. All of the others that sell blingy anodized aluminum bodies are the same. There are tests confirming that the dampening adjustment is rudimentary and not very effective on them.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2020, 12:18 PM   #32
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lol you don't have to believe me if you don't want to. But bilstein, KW, H&R, etc. all have very different form factors. They also make their own shocks, springs, etc. that they sell individually. All of the others that sell blingy anodized aluminum bodies are the same. There are tests confirming that the dampening adjustment is rudimentary and not very effective on them.
I got you.... german for german engineering...

I trust Tein. I don't about the megan, bc and fortune auto. There new, never heard of them. According to internet BC came out cheap and on the drifting scene.

Anyway... we are just people and are entitled to his or her opinion.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 12:28 PM   #33
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
I got you.... german for german engineering...

I trust Tein. I don't about the megan, bc and fortune auto. There new, never heard of them. According to internet BC came out cheap and on the drifting scene.

Anyway... we are just people and are entitled to his or her opinion.
I mean they don't have to be german lol. But just like our cars, the germans know how to do suspension right

But yes, those along with many others (just google "32 way coilovers") are cheap, stiff, and let you go low. They work well on track, but I'd never recommend them for street driving. I literally had the strut bearings fall apart on my BCs. Performed great, but harsh, crappy ride quality/nvh, and after a few winters they were covered in rust.

As always ymmv, because there are plenty of people that like them.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 12:45 PM   #34
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I mean they don't have to be german lol. But just like our cars, the germans know how to do suspension right

But yes, those along with many others (just google "32 way coilovers") are cheap, stiff, and let you go low. They work well on track, but I'd never recommend them for street driving. I literally had the strut bearings fall apart on my BCs. Performed great, but harsh, crappy ride quality/nvh, and after a few winters they were covered in rust.

As always ymmv, because there are plenty of people that like them.
I concur....

I have tein flex a on my S14 Silvia.. and they were comfortable as DD without the boob juggling stiffness... They lasted me 60k miles plus. And I hole they will do that this time around on a BMW... hahaha . I'll might take try it and make a review.

Last edited by Gen13 F36; 02-07-2020 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50
      02-07-2020, 01:07 PM   #35
theEZV
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i; Looking for F80

I've had V1s on my last 2 cars (GR WRX and now F30). I think they are a great option for a DD. The lack of front camber adjustment on the stock BMW hardware is a big bummer however. But not enough to get me to jump to the BC/FA bandwagon.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 01:08 PM   #36
DeeM55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435i

Finally decided and ordered the ST XA's for my F36 today. The German warehouse had them in stock and will be shipping them directly to my house in ~2 weeks. Part number: 1822000J

FYI - They come with the front camber plates and adjustable rebound
Lowering - 1.6" to 2.5" for both (F) and (R)

I will post a review once the installation is complete. I hope this thread helps anyone with an F36.

Last edited by DeeM55; 02-10-2020 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 2
335JTSD21.50
kern4174446.50
      02-17-2020, 10:46 PM   #37
DeeM55
Private First Class
Rep

Update: Package has landed. Total shipping time was exactly one week. Box has a small hole but nothing major. This did come from Germany so nothing to freak out about.

I took a quick look and noticed the front camber plates were not included. This is a huge bummer. I specifically asked the rep when I placed my order if they were included and she confirmed they were. I'm not sure what happened. I'll give KW a call in the morning.

I was planning on doing the install this Saturday morning and then driving over to M o d B a r g a i n s immediately after and getting the car aligned. I'm hoping this can still happen if I can get the camber plates.

Anyways, here's a few pics of the ST XA coilovers. I'll do a full review once they're on. I'll make sure to include pics of the before and after ride height.

Also, I ordered a Performance lip off of eBay. Fits the F32 or F36. I don't think I'll be installing that. I want to get a feel for the car before adding anything that might affect my review. If anyone wants to buy it, I'll sell it to you for the price I bought it for minus the shipping $145.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50
      02-18-2020, 12:34 AM   #38
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeM55 View Post
Update: Package has landed. Total shipping time was exactly one week. Box has a small hole but nothing major. This did come from Germany so nothing to freak out about.

I took a quick look and noticed the front camber plates were not included. This is a huge bummer. I specifically asked the rep when I placed my order if they were included and she confirmed they were. I'm not sure what happened. I'll give KW a call in the morning.

I was planning on doing the install this Saturday morning and then driving over to M o d B a r g a i n s immediately after and getting the car aligned. I'm hoping this can still happen if I can get the camber plates.

Anyways, here's a few pics of the ST XA coilovers. I'll do a full review once they're on. I'll make sure to include pics of the before and after ride height.

Also, I ordered a Performance lip off of eBay. Fits the F32 or F36. I don't think I'll be installing that. I want to get a feel for the car before adding anything that might affect my review. If anyone wants to buy it, I'll sell it to you for the price I bought it for minus the shipping $145.
Nice....

Missing the front camber plate that's a huge bummer alright, before you call them for it... be sure your invoice say ST-XA. And check your coils you got if it actually an XA. The ST-X seems to not come with front camber plates.... and I heard they look the same. So check the suspension for dampening adjustability.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 06:48 AM   #39
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Just a note that the rear shock part numbers match my "F31-Specific" KW V1s
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 09:16 AM   #40
DeeM55
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you guys. I double checked the invoice and box. Everything states XAs. The adjustable rebound knob was also included (1-5 rebound adj). I'm wondering if the struts are in fact KW V1's with adjustability instead of a completely different strut. Hmm...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 09:26 AM   #41
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Yep it's the exact same part number for the front shocks too. V1s don't have adjustable dampening. The knob that they include is actually to loosen the set screw on the adjustment collar. They use that screw instead of opposing collars that need to be clamped together.

Edit: I'm referring to the larger 7 digit number on the sticker. It looks like the actual "Part #" below it is different.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 09:42 AM   #42
DeeM55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yep it's the exact same part number for the front shocks too. V1s don't have adjustable dampening. The knob that they include is actually to loosen the screw on the adjustment collar. They use that screw instead of opposing collars that need to be clamped together.

Edit: I'm referring to the larger 7 digit number on the sticker. It looks like the actual "Part #" below it is different.
Kern - I'll double check when I get home but I'm almost positive it was the rebound adjustment knob and not the knob to loosen or tighten the height adjustable perch. It had 1 through 5 with arrows going in both directions and "rebound" stamped on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 03:19 PM   #43
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeM55 View Post
Kern - I'll double check when I get home but I'm almost positive it was the rebound adjustment knob and not the knob to loosen or tighten the height adjustable perch. It had 1 through 5 with arrows going in both directions and "rebound" stamped on it.
Mine did too haha. It's probably used for both on suspension that has adjustable dampening.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 03:36 PM   #44
DeeM55
Private First Class
Rep

Well, shit.. lol

Btw, I called this morning. They apologized for giving me bad information twice. The camber plates ARE NOT INCLUDED. The rep/manager stated camber plates do not exist for the F36 model nor do the ST XTA coilovers (which come with the camber plates/top mounts).

So, she provided me with the dimensions for the upper ID of the front springs and dimensions of the piston rod Incase I want to source my own camber plates/top mounts.

Or I can get a full refund...
Appreciate 0