F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B58 Stage 2 Supporting Mods
European Auto Source (EAS)

09-20-2019, 07:50 AM   #1
conradb58
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

B58 Stage 2 Supporting Mods

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I just got my 340i this year in July and I'm using the Stage 1 tune from MHD. I'm going to switch to Stage 2 here soon but I'm curious what supporting hardware everyone is using to support it , besides a downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 08:55 AM   #2
Solid67
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m240i xdrive MP Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradb58 View Post
I just got my 340i this year in July and I'm using the Stage 1 tune from MHD. I'm going to switch to Stage 2 here soon but I'm curious what supporting hardware everyone is using to support it , besides a downpipe.
A downpipe is all you need. Anything else after that is just extra.
2019 M240i M Performance Edition / ZF8 / Xdrive /BM3 Stg 2 E30 OTS / xHP Stg 3 ZF8 Flash / Evolution Racewerks Catless Downpipe (Ceramic Coating) / MPPSK Exhaust / FTP Intake + Intake Pipe/ FTP Chargepipe / NGK 94201 Spark Plugs - .022
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 12:08 PM   #3
conradb58
Registered
United_States
Rep

Thanks a lot ! Just still trying to wrap my head around how 1 part and a tune greatly increases the power numbers so much.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 01:57 PM   #4
BPAC306
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240I X

Quote:
Thanks a lot ! Just still trying to wrap my head around how 1 part and a tune greatly increases the power numbers so much.

Think of it this way... the cars have an electronic waste gate that will open up or close once the boost pressure builds. The car will adjust fuel and timing with the boost given and obviously has a cap on how much boost can be supplied. The flash controls that waste gate to add more boost (air) as desired but must maintain the proper fuel to support the mix. We basically make more power with Fuel, boost, timing adjustments.

Back in my mustang days (with built turbo) the waste gate was mechanical (spring and vacuum line). I literally had to get an internal waste gate spring that will allow for the max boost (6psi was desired) Then manually dial in the fuel pressure while the car is on a dyno + maintain proper A/F ratio

** the Down pipe on our cars acts as a bottle neck.... More air in = More air out, the cat is almost like a drinking straw with some cotton in it (harder to blow into the straw = more stress on the engine) You can run stage 2 with a stock cat but at a very high risk of damaging something in the long term due to excessive pressure.

12.3 @ 108 Stock

Last edited by BPAC306; 09-20-2019 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 2
BMWILUVU183.00
MaximusJ217.50

09-20-2019, 09:34 PM   #5
conradb58
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPAC306 View Post
Quote:

Think of it this way... the cars have an electronic waste gate that will open up or close once the boost pressure builds. The car will adjust fuel and timing with the boost given and obviously has a cap on how much boost can be supplied. The flash controls that waste gate to add more boost (air) as desired but must maintain the proper fuel to support the mix. We basically make more power with Fuel, boost, timing adjustments.

Back in my mustang days (with built turbo) the waste gate was mechanical (spring and vacuum line). I literally had to get an internal waste gate spring that will allow for the max boost (6psi was desired) Then manually dial in the fuel pressure while the car is on a dyno + maintain proper A/F ratio

** the Down pipe on our cars acts as a bottle neck.... More air in = More air out, the cat is almost like a drinking straw with some cotton in it (harder to blow into the straw = more stress on the engine) You can run stage 2 with a stock cat but at a very high risk of damaging something in the long term due to excessive pressure.
Awesome thanks a lot for the in depth explanation
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 06:54 AM   #6
Jahjaman
Private
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPAC306 View Post
Think of it this way...
Great post.
Appreciate 0