F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > How to remove scratch in safety glass?
GetBMWParts

09-20-2021, 01:03 PM   #1
steveindabmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Xdrive M-Sport

How to remove scratch in safety glass?

Anyone know how to remove a scratch in safety glass. This is on the inside and looks to be in the film that makes it "safety glass".
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 03:01 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

If it's in the film there's no fix, that film is sandwiched between the inner and outer glass layers.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2021, 07:25 PM   #3
steveindabmer
Private First Class
Rep

oh ok well it cant be the inner film than as i can feel it.

i did it with my stupid watch when i was cleaning the window.

Ive heard of trying toothpaste. I have cutting cream too. Might try one of those but dont want to make it worse....thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
If it's in the film there's no fix, that film is sandwiched between the inner and outer glass layers.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 09:15 PM   #4
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Check online about products from Novus.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2021, 09:50 PM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Getting out scratches in glass is very difficult, time consuming, and can make it worse by causing distortion in the glass. And that's if you're an expert.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2021, 02:09 PM   #6
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Forget it! Nothing you can do on the inside. The outside can be polished, but you need a polishing machine, the right cutting compound (for glass!), the right pads and lots of patience! Nothing you can apply on the inside, unfortunately.

Toothpaste!? Really? At least it will smell better
      09-23-2021, 09:56 PM   #7
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Classic Colgate is a very very fine abrasive.

Used to use it on plastics and such as a polish, back in the good old days… doubt it would do anything much on glass though.

I did use it on my iPhone to minimize the appearance of a scratch, but it won’t take it out amd requires elbow grease. What you have jsut learned is don’t wear a watch, jeans with studs, or a belt when cleaning your car.

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 07:51 AM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I haven't worn a watch for going on 20 years, nor used a camera for the last ten. When you've always go a cell phone in your pocket where's the need?

I polish my windshield yearly with cerium oxide. A half an hour with a high speed buffer only takes out very minor scratches. Anything deep enough to be felt with a finger nail is permanent.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 08:18 AM   #9
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
I haven't worn a watch for going on 20 years, nor used a camera for the last ten. When you've always go a cell phone in your pocket where's the need?

I polish my windshield yearly with cerium oxide. A half an hour with a high speed buffer only takes out very minor scratches. Anything deep enough to be felt with a finger nail is permanent.
How does that process work for all the pits these crazy soft BMW windshields collect over time?

What pads do you use? I've got a full set up for paint, but I've never taken on glass. After driving into the low sunrise this morning, I noticed all the pits in the glass really effects visibility.
      09-24-2021, 10:40 AM   #10
steveindabmer
Private First Class
Rep

Its a matter of info and battery life.

Sometimes I only need the time and years ago i saw a post about "how to extend your smartphone battery". One tip was to wear a simple watch so there was no need to power up your screen just to see the time. I was surprised how effective that was. Some of us dont have the luxury of being able to plug in all the time. Ive been wearing a watch ever since. Prob dont need it now with much better android versions and better hardware but i dont mind it.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 10:44 AM   #11
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
How does that process work for all the pits these crazy soft BMW windshields collect over time?
Better than nothing, but deep pits can't be removed.

Quote:
What pads do you use?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2021, 11:55 AM   #12
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Offtopic, but - you reach for your phone in your pocket every time you want to know the time?
Very time-efficient time checking 😄

With smart watches, I also enjoy the reduced necessity to go for my phone.

This said - I remove my watch every time I don't really need it - whether it is when being at home or when detailing the car, where it can be dangerous as well, as proven. Or whenever it can get damaged, like today, when I was moving furniture all day.
      09-24-2021, 12:45 PM   #13
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I have clocks in every room of my house, I have a clock in my car. The average number of times a day that I need to know what time it is when I'm not in my house or car is around 0.3.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 12:50 PM   #14
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindabmer View Post
Anyone know how to remove a scratch in safety glass. This is on the inside and looks to be in the film that makes it "safety glass".
I noticed something else when looking at the pictures. You have the HUD an this scratch looks to be in/near the area it projects onto the windshield.

From what I understand, there is a special film on the inside of the glass to make the HUD work correctly. No way you'll be able to polish without damaging that film.

RE: Watches. I always wear one. Between my parents raising me to be nearly fanatical about being punctual in a time long before cell phones and a professional career which demanded it, I feel naked without one. There are MANY times I don't have my phone with me (intentional or not), but I'm rarely without a watch.
      09-24-2021, 03:25 PM   #15
steveindabmer
Private First Class
Rep

Nah its honestly not really near the HUD...i think its an optical illusion. Think its just the angle i took the pic.

Quote:
I noticed something else when looking at the pictures. You have the HUD an this scratch looks to be in/near the area it projects onto the windshield.

From what I understand, there is a special film on the inside of the glass to make the HUD work correctly. No way you'll be able to polish without damaging that film.

RE: Watches. I always wear one. Between my parents raising me to be nearly fanatical about being punctual in a time long before cell phones and a professional career which demanded it, I feel naked without one. There are MANY times I don't have my phone with me (intentional or not), but I'm rarely without a watch.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 03:48 PM   #16
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindabmer View Post
Nah its honestly not really near the HUD...i think its an optical illusion. Think its just the angle i took the pic.

Quote:

The vicinity to the HUD plays no role. HUD equipped cars have a different windshield (all of it) with an additional reflective layer.