F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Muffler Delete
ARMA SPEED

08-14-2020, 12:32 AM   #1
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14' 335i, 17' X6 35i

Muffler Delete

I currently have a borla atak catback system on my 335i with stock downpipe and I'm wondering if I had a muffler delete with my oem exhaust (non mperf exhaust), which one would have been louder? I'm thinking about doing a muffler delete on my ATAK. This will be louder then my current setup right now right? Will there anything that I'll regret doing a muffler delete on my ATAK catback?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 12:58 AM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rox335i View Post
I currently have a borla atak catback system on my 335i with stock downpipe and I'm wondering if I had a muffler delete with my oem exhaust (non mperf exhaust), which one would have been louder? I'm thinking about doing a muffler delete on my ATAK. This will be louder then my current setup right now right? Will there anything that I'll regret doing a muffler delete on my ATAK catback?
The only difference between ATAK catback with muffler delete and OEM catback with muffler delete will be the midpipe/resonator. If the ATAK has a non resonated midpipe then yes, deleting the ATAK muffler will be louder than deleting the OEM muffler with OEM midpipe/resonator... but then you just wasted a whole bunch of money on the ATAK basically and could have just done a muffler delete and resonator delete on stock catback for cheap.

Better path forward is to just get a downpipe to get some performance in addition to the sound increase.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 01:17 AM   #3
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
The only difference between ATAK catback with muffler delete and OEM catback with muffler delete will be the midpipe/resonator. If the ATAK has a non resonated midpipe then yes, deleting the ATAK muffler will be louder than deleting the OEM muffler with OEM midpipe/resonator... but then you just wasted a whole bunch of money on the ATAK basically and could have just done a muffler delete and resonator delete on stock catback for cheap.

Better path forward is to just get a downpipe to get some performance in addition to the sound increase.
But deleting the muffler on my ATAK will still be louder than my ATAK with the muffler right?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 07:00 AM   #4
FancyTie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Package 6spd

Quote:
But deleting the muffler on my ATAK will still be louder than my ATAK with the muffler right?
As you remove more parts that are there to "Reduce" the sound, yes it will be louder...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 08:42 AM   #5
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyTie View Post
Quote:
As you remove more parts that are there to "Reduce" the sound, yes it will be louder...
Do you know if I would keep the same exhaust note but just louder?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 10:02 AM   #6
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Deleting the muffler will not keep the same exhaust note, no. With all else being equal (i.e., no change in midpipe and DP), the muffler is basically what controls the volume, tone, and sound. Thats why all axlebacks sound different... when you chop off the muffler its going to get louder, more raspy, and less refined. Drone is also going to increase.

If you want to keep the same exhaust note, i recommend you do not chop off the muffler. Catted DP is probably the best bet to keep note similar and increase volume/turbo noise a bit.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 12:29 PM   #7
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Deleting the muffler will not keep the same exhaust note, no. With all else being equal (i.e., no change in midpipe and DP), the muffler is basically what controls the volume, tone, and sound. Thats why all axlebacks sound different... when you chop off the muffler its going to get louder, more raspy, and less refined. Drone is also going to increase.

If you want to keep the same exhaust note, i recommend you do not chop off the muffler. Catted DP is probably the best bet to keep note similar and increase volume/turbo noise a bit.
Do you think it will sound ricey?

I used to have the CG-R1 and it had no mufflers (y pipe) or resonators. Would it sound similar to that?

https://www.cgprecision.com/#!/R-1-R...egory=17975132
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 12:34 PM   #8
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I used to have the CG-R1 and it had no mufflers (y pipe) or resonators. Would it sound similar to that?

Hard to say because everyone has a different interpretation of 'ricey' and exhaust sounds in general. The thing you have going for you is OEM DP, because they removes a lot of rasp and to some extent drone even if you remove resonator and muffler. Realistically the only way you are going to know if you like it is to try.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 12:49 PM   #9
FancyTie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Package 6spd

IMO, the best sound on the 335i or any other car (mostly) would be catless + reso delete + muffler.

Stock DP + muffler delete makes the sound more "clear" or "ricey" like you said.

All that said, it's just imo!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 02:09 PM   #10
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Hard to say because everyone has a different interpretation of 'ricey' and exhaust sounds in general. The thing you have going for you is OEM DP, because they removes a lot of rasp and to some extent drone even if you remove resonator and muffler. Realistically the only way you are going to know if you like it is to try.
Would you ever do a muffler delete?

Also, if I went with a muffler delete, what would happen with the valve plug? Will it just hang there?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 02:33 PM   #11
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Also, if I went with a muffler delete, what would happen with the valve plug? Will it just hang there?
No, but that's just because i think a increase in volume with no corresponding increase in performance i more or less unnecessary. Same reason i dont run burbles outside OEM. All it does is draw attention to you unnecessarily, which police in California love to pull you over for. But thats just me, plenty of people like loud exhausts and i understand that having a good sounding exhaust is part of the driving experience.

And yeah, if the plug is unused, then its unused.

What's your reluctance to do a downpipe?
Appreciate 2
      08-14-2020, 06:49 PM   #12
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

No, but that's just because i think a increase in volume with no corresponding increase in performance i more or less unnecessary. Same reason i dont run burbles outside OEM. All it does is draw attention to you unnecessarily, which police in California love to pull you over for. But thats just me, plenty of people like loud exhausts and i understand that having a good sounding exhaust is part of the driving experience.

And yeah, if the plug is unused, then its unused.

What's your reluctance to do a downpipe?
Will cutting off my Borla atak muffler sound the same if it was my oem muffler that's cut? The only difference there will be is that I have the borla midpipe instead of oem right?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 06:59 PM   #13
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Will cutting off my Borla atak muffler sound the same if it was my oem muffler that's cut? The only difference there will be is that I have the borla midpipe instead of oem right?
No, its not going to sound the same if your borla midpipe is not resonated and your OEM catback included a resonator (as it should). If the midpipes are different, the sound will be different. Having said that you could always delete your OEM catback resonator... then you are basically a straight pipe from DP back.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 09:05 PM   #14
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No, its not going to sound the same if your borla midpipe is not resonated and your OEM catback included a resonator (as it should). If the midpipes are different, the sound will be different. Having said that you could always delete your OEM catback resonator... then you are basically a straight pipe from DP back.
The circle in the picture I attached is the resonator right? Would it be better to remove the resonator instead of the muffler if I want a louder sound than it is currently without having a raspy exhaust sound?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 01:22 AM   #15
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The circle in the picture I attached is the resonator right? Would it be better to remove the resonator instead of the muffler if I want a louder sound than it is currently without having a raspy exhaust sound?
That looks like a resonator, yeah. Do you have a link to the exhaust you have?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 07:34 AM   #16
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That looks like a resonator, yeah. Do you have a link to the exhaust you have?
https://www.borla.com/products/f30_f...t__140580.html

Do you think a muffler delete will sound like shit? Getting second thoughts of getting one now.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 10:28 AM   #17
xnick101
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
You're asking a question no one here will have the answer to. I am sure no one has spent $1400 on an exhaust only go to delete the muffler. If you want to do that just sell the catback and do it on the stock exhaust, it'll sound the same as doing that on the ATAK catback.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 01:24 PM   #18
TSA8151
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i msport

Quote:

Do you think a muffler delete will sound like shit? Getting second thoughts of getting one now.
Catless downpipe, stock midpipe with resonator, and muffler delete sound godly. I'd get a sound clip but the exhaust is loud enough that my phone mic can't pic up the sound.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 01:31 PM   #19
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:

As i said before exhaust sound is highly subjective. Even watching videos is difficult because every mic and sound quality is different, and the sound varies depending on where the mic is relative to the exhaust outlet. It all depends on what you want...

The description and pictures on the website are not very good, but it does look like it has a resonator on the midpipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnick101 View Post
You're asking a question no one here will have the answer to. I am sure no one has spent $1400 on an exhaust only go to delete the muffler. If you want to do that just sell the catback and do it on the stock exhaust, it'll sound the same as doing that on the ATAK catback.
This is exactly what i said before.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 01:56 PM   #20
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i f30 N55 ( sold)

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
If you want a muffler delete, take your borla off and go to a muffler shop and have them make one, it'll run you like $200 or less. If you like it then sell the borla. I have heard and read muffler delete sound awesome but are very loud. I have only a catless down pipe and my car sounds quiet until I watched my home cameras and could hear myself going down my street and I'm like damm my car is actually pretty loud lol. And that's me just normal throttle not WOT
Stock intake(had open before and was sick of noise)
BMS CP
550i 351m rims with 275/245 set up.
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 02:15 PM   #21
TSA8151
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i msport

Look for a shop that does mandrel bending.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 07:04 PM   #22
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

As i said before exhaust sound is highly subjective. Even watching videos is difficult because every mic and sound quality is different, and the sound varies depending on where the mic is relative to the exhaust outlet. It all depends on what you want...

The description and pictures on the website are not very good, but it does look like it has a resonator on the midpipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnick101 View Post
This is exactly what i said before.
Will the sound of the car sound the same if it's a resonator delete and not a muffler delete but louder?
Appreciate 0