F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
Studio RSR

08-14-2020, 10:26 PM   #4203
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypayne05 View Post
You might have to wait for a custom firmware for the B units or for a new release from Andream to fix it. I have CarPlay so I dont have that issue

Do Android Auto for Idrive then, worth a looksee...

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1738137

https://github.com/hufman/AndroidAutoIdrive
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 09:54 AM   #4204
Fishie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 32ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSeabass View Post
Okay, likely final update - turns out I did have to plug in the 3.5mm cord to the center console to get audio despite the instructions to the contrary. The audio sounds like shit, and I still end up with the radio accidentally coming on here and there as I navigate an extremely sluggish menu with iDrive.

Gonna box this up and return it. Huge headache, and I may look into the touchscreen replacement options instead.
That's correct. 2013 cars have been giving issues with microphone + audio.

I was able to adjust my cars EQ settings and the audio is even better than before. The 3.5mm to the centre console is not a huge issue, the cable is very easy to hide and I believe that having it plugged in is worth it in order to have carplay.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 09:58 AM   #4205
BimmerLuv1
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW E81

Problem: MCU won't update and stuck

Hello @ all,

1. I read most of this thread and it's amazing how active you guys are and try to help each other. Kudos to you!!!

2. Sry für hijacking your F30 forum because I drive an E81

3. My problem....

I drive an E81 120i, Made 2009, Navi CIC Prof with 8,8 screen and I have installed a MMI vom ROAD TOP. I tried to update the SOFTWARE AND MCU with the latest build from the first page of this thread (ROAD TOP CIC).

SOFTWARE updated fine but I can't flash the MCU. It's stuck at this screen "USER UPDATE MCU, WAIT DO NOT POWER OFF". I kept the running for 30 min with this screen but nothing happened. I then forced the MMI to restart with the 5 sec BACK BUTTON press. MCU Version is still the old version.

Anyone an idea on how I can solve this?

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 12:02 PM   #4206
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Upgraded my Andream to B v1.0.2 and that fixed the scrolling lag completely. Makes the user experience a lot better.

Question: it seems it wasn't able to take the MCU 20.06 update. I have the Gemini-update.bin and the MCU .bin on the root of my flash drive. Was I flashing the wrong version? Can the B units take the 20.06 MCU update? Thanks!
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 12:13 PM   #4207
propernorf
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
idrive is simply no go for me, it rarely connects and if does usually not for long. Nevertheless really awesome project.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 12:24 PM   #4208
eexxcc
Rep
Drives: F07 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
Upgraded my Andream to B v1.0.2 and that fixed the scrolling lag completely. Makes the user experience a lot better.

Question: it seems it wasn't able to take the MCU 20.06 update. I have the Gemini-update.bin and the MCU .bin on the root of my flash drive. Was I flashing the wrong version? Can the B units take the 20.06 MCU update? Thanks!
Updated my Andream B (B_V1.0.2) unit to MCU 20.06, no problems so far.

After updating, restart unit by pressing back button for 5 sec.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 12:33 PM   #4209
cinergi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i xDrive Modern Line

Sound quality?

Most of this thread seems to focus on functionality and software. I'm wondering about the sound quality of these boxes? Some say it's great, others say it's terrible so I'm not sure what to make of it. This is a key consideration for me.

What's the sound quality as compared to a direct BT connection to iDrive? I'm trying to avoid flat-sounding audio with no bass or treble extension. I have the Logic7 system, which is capable of great sound given a great input. Looking to hear primarily from those who also have Logic7, since the base stereo doesn't sound as good to begin with (I had it in my previous car) so quality differences would be masked.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 12:43 PM   #4210
skalli07
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 318D 2013 M sport

No one :'( ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalli07 View Post
Hello all

I have a big problem with my box that I installed today

My car : BMW F20 2016 120D NBT
My box : Andream

Software used (after update) :
v2.1.0.8.multiusb.gpe.b (PIN: 2863)
v1.0.A0.mod (PIN: 2863) (Not cross compatible) (based on: v2.1.0.6.gpe.b)

When I installed the box, I lost the possibility to show next/previous (music / radio ...) in my extended cluster (before, for exemple, when I wanted to switch the radio station or the music in bluetooth of my iPhone-, using the button of stelrling wheel, I had the info shown in my cluster in the digital screen, now, it's not showing anymore after the box installed), but it works without showing in the screen (with a swipe up, then press, it changed radio for exemple)

I also lost the information about my car (maintenance deadlines, control of oil, breaks, average consumption ..), now it's empty, only the historic of maintenance is okay

When I am in CarPlay mode, I cannot switch music (iPhone 11 pro max iOS 13.6) with the button of my wheel, when I activate the option in CarPlay setting, it uses my button(scroll up, scroll down) to navigate in the CarPlay menu (like if I turn the dial right or left), and it's not changing any music), when I use the physical buttons left/right on the dash, they switch music next/previous ..

The buttons for Siri, phone, volume are working well on my wheel

Overall, CarPlay is working good (wifi), I only have those problems, did you noticed those issues ? what can I do please ? (I really like to use the buttons in meh wheel ^^), and the extended display to show the next music/radio and the information about maintenance and consumption on the NBT)

Thank you

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 12:48 PM   #4211
ViperBoy2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
What's the sound quality as compared to a direct BT connection to iDrive? I'm trying to avoid flat-sounding audio with no bass or treble extension. I have the Logic7 system, which is capable of great sound given a great input. Looking to hear primarily from those who also have Logic7, since the base stereo doesn't sound as good to begin with (I had it in my previous car) so quality differences would be masked.
I have a full JL Audio replacement (amp + speakers) in my X5M and bought the Andream as much for audio improvement as for AA. BMW doesn't support AAC on Android, let alone AptX so the SBC Bluetooth quality is horrible. The new box definitely seems clearer (especially highs) with Spotify's highest quality downloads. Nothing scientific, but Android users especially will appreciate the upgrade

I had originally tried using an old iPhone for NBT aux input which was also an audio improvement, but the BMW apps integration was flakey on a good day
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2020, 01:20 PM   #4212
xDHC
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F20 116i

Quote:
I also lost the information about my car (maintenance deadlines, control of oil, breaks, average consumption ..), now it's empty, only the historic of maintenance is okay
( ?
you forgot to connect the fibre optic cables or did not correct connect them.
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      08-15-2020, 02:31 PM   #4213
skalli07
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDHC View Post
you forgot to connect the fibre optic cables or did not correct connect them.
Hello

Yes indeed i figured it out today Before seeing your message , this what the right guess, thx

Now i have the info working, only switch songs from my wheel in CarPlay are not working (the rest is working good)

If i can get the next/previous button from my wheel working this kit would ne perfect

Any idea?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 03:12 PM   #4214
random_flasher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F56

Quote:
Hello

Yes indeed i figured it out today Before seeing your message , this what the right guess, thx

Now i have the info working, only switch songs from my wheel in CarPlay are not working (the rest is working good)

If i can get the next/previous button from my wheel working this kit would ne perfect

Any idea?
In aux mode, you can't use next/previous with the wheel
You can stream audio via bluetooth if you like with your phone and then you'll be able to change songs/select song BUT you have to disable wheel in the mmi settings, or you'll have conflict as the wheel is used to navigate through the MMI too.
AND you will loose sound from apps like waze etc, as your phone is streaming to the car directly and you'll be in Bluetooth mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 04:02 PM   #4215
cinergi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i xDrive Modern Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperBoy2 View Post
I have a full JL Audio replacement (amp + speakers) in my X5M and bought the Andream as much for audio improvement as for AA. BMW doesn't support AAC on Android, let alone AptX so the SBC Bluetooth quality is horrible. The new box definitely seems clearer (especially highs) with Spotify's highest quality downloads. Nothing scientific, but Android users especially will appreciate the upgrade

I had originally tried using an old iPhone for NBT aux input which was also an audio improvement, but the BMW apps integration was flakey on a good day
Thanks, this makes me feel better about the quality.

-cinergi
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 05:17 PM   #4216
mbonus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypayne05 View Post
You might have to wait for a custom firmware for the B units or for a new release from Andream to fix it. I have CarPlay so I dont have that issue

Do Android Auto for Idrive then, worth a looksee...

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1738137

https://github.com/hufman/AndroidAutoIdrive
Thanks for linking this project. Very cool! I was able to get it working on 2015 F30 NBT with wired connection and Bluetooth for audio (android 10 blocks usb audio).

For now it just seems good for audio integration apps. interesting project and I hope they're able to get navigation integration ironed out
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      08-15-2020, 05:27 PM   #4217
skalli07
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabzer View Post
In aux mode, you can't use next/previous with the wheel
You can stream audio via bluetooth if you like with your phone and then you'll be able to change songs/select song BUT you have to disable wheel in the mmi settings, or you'll have conflict as the wheel is used to navigate through the MMI too.
AND you will loose sound from apps like waze etc, as your phone is streaming to the car directly and you'll be in Bluetooth mode.
Thx for the answer, so I presume that all of us have the same issue and can not skip music from the wheel ?

The button right/left (in the dash near the numbers of the radio) can actually skip music when I am in CarPlay (next, or previous), I ll use those for now

in my last car (f30 2014) I have swished the screen for a 10" android unit (Andrem) and even in aux mod with the same wheel (M sport) I had the possibility to switch music and play/pause with the wheel buttons, may be with the CarPlay box it work differently

thank you anyway
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 05:41 PM   #4218
random_flasher
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thx for the answer, so I presume that all of us have the same issue and can not skip music from the wheel ?

The button right/left (in the dash near the numbers of the radio) can actually skip music when I am in CarPlay (next, or previous), I ll use those for now

in my last car (f30 2014) I have swished the screen for a 10" android unit (Andrem) and even in aux mod with the same wheel (M sport) I had the possibility to switch music and play/pause with the wheel buttons, may be with the CarPlay box it work differently

thank you anyway
And could you see track title?
As I said you can stream via bluetooth (so change track with wheel) & use carplay
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 05:47 PM   #4219
skalli07
Rep

Quote:
And could you see track title?
As I said you can stream via bluetooth (so change track with wheel) & use carplay
Yes I know, sometimes I use both, but then I do not have sound in Waze & co ..

When I m in music (not CarPlay mode), I could see the titles in the cluster when I scroll, then I choose one by pressing the button in the wheel

when I m in CarPlay mode, when I press the left/right buttons in the dash, the music changes but nothing happens in the cluster.

For now, the best solution is the buttons in the dash, it works, not the best solution but I ll live with that .

with my last car (f30) and android unit , the wheel were working good, but I did not had the extended cluster, si I had error shown in the cluster when I switch with the wheel buttons, but it was working well and switch/play/pause were ok)

Now the only missing thing is play/pause with button in CarPlay, without switching the app to music and press pause manually (for example I m in Waze, and I want to pause music), now I use mute button )
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 11:27 PM   #4220
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
With the v2.0.B0.mod firmware, you can also use the idrive DOUBLE TILT right/left gesture to skip/prev songs.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 01:50 AM   #4221
random_flasher
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post
With the v2.0.B0.mod firmware, you can also use the idrive DOUBLE TILT right/left gesture to skip/prev songs.
From the wheel directly ?
Is the message still there ?(aux not available)
Any pictures please ?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 02:05 AM   #4222
xDHC
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F20 116i

Quote:
From the wheel directly ?
Is the message still there ?(aux not available)
Any pictures please ?
No.
Yes.
No.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 03:22 AM   #4223
random_flasher
Private First Class
Rep

So what is idrive double tilt ??
Appreciate 0