F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > *** OFFICIAL bootmod3 de-cat with OBD readiness THREAD***
ARMA SPEED

09-19-2021, 05:58 PM   #177
mxstyles
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 LTW

I agree with jayematic. Appreciate the help
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 12:06 PM   #178
mxstyles
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 LTW

hello all, would appreciate the info suggested in this post, thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 09:41 PM   #179
Matt1081199
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Hey guys, I've been reading through this forum and I'm a little confused and just want to clear up a few things. I have a 2013 328ix and I'd really like to install a catless dp. Of course the one thing stopping me is passing inspection. If I'm understanding this correctly, can I just use bootmod3 to flash the "cat efficiency" option? Which I'm assuming will only cause the post cat sensor to appear as "not ready." if that's the only sensor that's not ready then I should be able to pass with one sensor not ready right? If I'm missing something please point it out and correct me. I'd love to get to the bottom of this as well! Appreciate everyone's dedication to this topic!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 01:21 PM   #180
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1081199 View Post
Hey guys, I've been reading through this forum and I'm a little confused and just want to clear up a few things. I have a 2013 328ix and I'd really like to install a catless dp. Of course the one thing stopping me is passing inspection. If I'm understanding this correctly, can I just use bootmod3 to flash the "cat efficiency" option? Which I'm assuming will only cause the post cat sensor to appear as "not ready." if that's the only sensor that's not ready then I should be able to pass with one sensor not ready right? If I'm missing something please point it out and correct me. I'd love to get to the bottom of this as well! Appreciate everyone's dedication to this topic!
You need to check your local laws to see how many sensors you can have not ready, if you will need to do anything else like pass a sniffer test, etc. The flash option in BM3 just removes the CEL, there are other workarounds you need to do if you want to do more than just that.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 04:18 PM   #181
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 black F30 N55

Quote:
If you're in ca

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/am...g-smog-checks/

I had to flash it back to stock and change out my dp to pass smog. They're strict nowadays so it's difficult to pass even with just a tune flashed. I still say go Catless, and just switch it out every couple years for smog. It only takes me about 45 mins to change it out now. The first time take a bit longer to figure out how to get the clamp back on quickly. Once you do it's pretty simple.
      10-17-2021, 09:02 PM   #182
Matt1081199
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post

You need to check your local laws to see how many sensors you can have not ready, if you will need to do anything else like pass a sniffer test, etc. The flash option in BM3 just removes the CEL, there are other workarounds you need to do if you want to do more than just that.

I live in NH. I'm pretty sure we don't have smog testing and I believe we can pass with one monitor not ready. If that's true then I think I might be okay just using bootmod3 to delete the CEL for the post cat sensor. As long as that's the only monitor is resets. If it causes multiple monitors to be in a "not ready" state then I would need to do something else.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 01:14 PM   #183
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I live in NH. I'm pretty sure we don't have smog testing and I believe we can pass with one monitor not ready. If that's true then I think I might be okay just using bootmod3 to delete the CEL for the post cat sensor. As long as that's the only monitor is resets. If it causes multiple monitors to be in a "not ready" state then I would need to do something else.
Well you should have all the tools to test it for yourself lol. I assume BM3 can check your monitors like MHD can?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 12:20 PM   #184
Matt1081199
Rep

Quote:

Well you should have all the tools to test it for yourself lol. I assume BM3 can check your monitors like MHD can?
Sorry I should have specified. I haven't purchased the downpipe or bootmod3 yet. I wanted to make sure that's all I needed before dropping the cash and potentially finding out that I can't pass inspection. I was just curious what others have done and if they are able to pass inspection just by deleting the CEL with bootmod3 or if there are other steps that need to be taken as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 12:58 PM   #185
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Sorry I should have specified. I haven't purchased the downpipe or bootmod3 yet. I wanted to make sure that's all I needed before dropping the cash and potentially finding out that I can't pass inspection. I was just curious what others have done and if they are able to pass inspection just by deleting the CEL with bootmod3 or if there are other steps that need to be taken as well.
Gotcha. Well you always have the option of buying AA, fabspeed, or another DP that guarantees no CEL.

I'll let someone else who uses this method answer your other question, I chose to just get fabspeed so i dont have to worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 09:37 PM   #186
Tom978560
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Can somebody pm me the pdf?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 12:45 PM   #187
Matt1081199
Rep

Quote:

Gotcha. Well you always have the option of buying AA, fabspeed, or another DP that guarantees no CEL.

I'll let someone else who uses this method answer your other question, I chose to just get fabspeed so i dont have to worry about it.
Yeah that's true, I'd really like to run catless though. Hopefully someone has used the method I'm talking about and can report back if it was enough or not. I'm also seeing a lot of talk about the pdf that was created to adjust the thresholds I think. If that's something I should do instead I'd love to get my hands on that pdf.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 01:34 PM   #188
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah that's true, I'd really like to run catless though. Hopefully someone has used the method I'm talking about and can report back if it was enough or not. I'm also seeing a lot of talk about the pdf that was created to adjust the thresholds I think. If that's something I should do instead I'd love to get my hands on that pdf.
Whats your reason for really wanting catless? You aren't really gaining anything over a good catted on stock turbo, and aside from that it smells terrible, pollutes a lot, and requires tunes/workarounds to prevent CEL and try and pass emissions . I guess its cheaper. I'd send you the PDF but i dont have it
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 12:09 AM   #189
Matt1081199
Rep

Quote:

Whats your reason for really wanting catless? You aren't really gaining anything over a good catted on stock turbo, and aside from that it smells terrible, pollutes a lot, and requires tunes/workarounds to prevent CEL and try and pass emissions . I guess its cheaper. I'd send you the PDF but i dont have it
I'd like to start tuning with bootmod3 and I know that stage 2 recommends a downpipe. I'd also like to reduce backpressure to make some small gains. Sure there's the option of a high flow cat but those are much more expensive, and if I'm being honest I kinda like the sound of a catless DP. Smell doesn't really bother me much. If you don't mind sending me the PDF I'd love to take a look at it. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 07:41 AM   #190
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

I am a NY Inspector, and gave up trying to pass with workarounds. I bought a used cat from another member in the next state, and flashed back to stock.

Bad news for anyone in NY...Next year we are required to buy a new inspection machine. Part of the new inspection will be a 360 degree walkaround the vehicle with a camera, as well as I will have to photograph all the cats on all vehicles that come in for inspection. Also, the new machine will be checking for tunes/aftermarket flashes.

Womp womp.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 09:02 PM   #191
nterr0r
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i xDrive GC (f36)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA1Z24 View Post
I am a NY Inspector, and gave up trying to pass with workarounds. I bought a used cat from another member in the next state, and flashed back to stock.

Bad news for anyone in NY...Next year we are required to buy a new inspection machine. Part of the new inspection will be a 360 degree walkaround the vehicle with a camera, as well as I will have to photograph all the cats on all vehicles that come in for inspection. Also, the new machine will be checking for tunes/aftermarket flashes.

Womp womp.
Will AA or Fabspeed pass the above if you just flash back to stock? Or are those going to fall victim to the above as well?

In the meantime, would anyone be kind enough to share the PDF with me? My inspection is due around the corner and last year I somehow managed to reset the drivecycle and pass with my VRSF catted downpipe but this year, after several similar attempts, I keep failing with 2 "not ready." I don't have my stock downpipe as a local shop in NY pulled a fast one and kept it while I had a bunch of work done to my car. Trying to figure out a solution before it becomes a problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 05:11 AM   #192
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nterr0r View Post
Will AA or Fabspeed pass the above if you just flash back to stock? Or are those going to fall victim to the above as well?

In the meantime, would anyone be kind enough to share the PDF with me? My inspection is due around the corner and last year I somehow managed to reset the drivecycle and pass with my VRSF catted downpipe but this year, after several similar attempts, I keep failing with 2 "not ready." I don't have my stock downpipe as a local shop in NY pulled a fast one and kept it while I had a bunch of work done to my car. Trying to figure out a solution before it becomes a problem.
You need a cat. It is extremely difficult to run an F30's monitors without a cat. If you're willing to leave a sizeable deposit, you can borrow my cat...Just pay labor to install and remove it...DM

I will guess those cats will fail the visual inspection because they are not stock parts, nor are they considered an aftermarket replacement.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 06:22 PM   #193
Wiqidz
2 Time Vet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom978560 View Post
Can somebody pm me the pdf?
Please let me know if you find it.
      10-24-2021, 06:28 PM   #194
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nterr0r View Post

AA DP is EPA certified so it is legal and will pass in all states except California. That includes both OBD2 check and visual. It's the only fully legal DP i am aware of for N55.

Fabspeed is technically not EPA certified, so while it will pass OBD2, it could in theory fail visual, if they can tell the difference between that and OEM.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 11:33 AM   #195
Wiqidz
2 Time Vet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW F30 335i

Does anyone have the updated PDF I reached out to some members to no avail. Looking for some help. Gonna try stock map in meantime, but when configuring do you guys do cel monitors off or do you leave them on for purpose of inspection?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 08:11 PM   #196
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep

Quote:
AA DP is EPA certified so it is legal and will pass in all states except California.

Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico (2011 model year and later), New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington (2009 model year and later), as well as the District of Columbia all follow the same emissions standards as California.

So if you're in one of those states, you will most likely fail with an aftermarket cat. These states did not adopt California emissions standards because they are lax on emissions. I am fairly certain at some point in time they would start making a visual inspection on the cat.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 11:05 AM   #197
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA1Z24 View Post
Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico (2011 model year and later), New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington (2009 model year and later), as well as the District of Columbia all follow the same emissions standards as California.

So if you're in one of those states, you will most likely fail with an aftermarket cat. These states did not adopt California emissions standards because they are lax on emissions. I am fairly certain at some point in time they would start making a visual inspection on the cat.
I know that other states have adopted some of CA's standards, but that doesn't mean they have exactly the same requirements regarding use of aftermarket equipment such as the cats. Other states also don't have the CVN/Cal ID checks. AFAIK (would need to double check states outside CA), they would have had to promulgate CA's specific vehicle codes that relate to the use of aftermarket equipment in order for the AA DP to not be legal. Otherwise, the EPA law is what would apply. I would encourage anyone to confirm local laws. AA lists some of the applicable ones on their website: https://store.activeautowerke.com/pr...atted-downpipe

Everything i have ever seen for use of EPA-certified vs CARB-certified is only distinguished between CA and other states. Other states have varying requirements as to whether testing is even required, how many monitors can be "not ready", visual vs sniffer vs OBD2 only, etc. Some of the states you mentioned i know are not the same as CA because they allow 1 monitor to not be ready, not to mention the lack of ECU checks. So while they may have adopted some standards, I don't believe they have related to the use of aftermarket equipment, which is specifically CARB approval vs EPA approval.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 11:32 AM   #198
5w20
@_sunbish
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i & 340i

Whomever is concerned about their emissions testing needs to look at their local laws. Sometimes counties have different standards. Here in Texas, the heavily populated counties that are within the bigger metropolitan areas such as DFW, Austin, San Antonio, Houston, etc., all REQUIRE emissions and safety. The less populated counties only do safety checks.

So with that being said, I've lived in the Houston metropolitan area as long as I've been driving (20+ years) and never have they once actually looked for the emissions components. All they have ever done is plug in the machine and check the OBD status on 1996+ newer vehicles. I've removed catalytic converters, EGR, AIR systems, EVAP, even tuned out the secondary O2 sensors and still pass as long as I've fooled the engines computer into thinking that everything is there and working properly.