F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Driver Restraint System Malfunction HELP!
proTUNING Freaks

05-19-2015, 12:46 AM   #1
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Driver Restraint System Malfunction HELP!

Hi, All,
I was doing a retrofit of the M-steering wheel and airbag onto a baseline car, 2013 328i.
I disconnected the battery prior to the install. After removing the airbag, I had some trouble tightening the bolt. So I reconnected the original airbag and want to see if I can get the steering wheel to lock like in my E92. I went to the trunk to reconnect the battery. When I first held it up to aligned it, i dropped the cable onto the battery negative bolt. Without it making full contact, a corner of the negative terminal touched the negative terminal bolt on the battery and caused the car to have electric supply. I almost immediate pull the negative terminal line off the battery bolt and proceeded to securely tightened the ring around the negative battery terminal bolt.
After turning on the car with the original steering wheel and the original airbag, I got this error "Driver Restraint System Malfunction -- console your service center."
How do I clear this error? Some people on an older forum E9x said there is a terminal BST cable that need replacing and will cost several hundred dollars to replace it.
Does anyone know much about this erro on the F30? Please help, I am in a panic right now.

Unlike an earlier post http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1098747
Where the system specified Fault in Airbag, belt, tensioner or belt-force limiter. Mine says nothing. Just ask me to see a service center. I am hoping a simple reset would resolve it.

Past: E46 Metallic Blue Coupe 323i GONE: E86 Jet Black Z4 Convertible GONE: E92 Crimson Red 335i,
F30 Liquid Blue Matallic 328i
Current Garage Queen: Mineral White F83 M4

Last edited by jondaman; 05-19-2015 at 01:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Get shawnsheridan to send you Tool32.

You will need an ENET cable to be able to do this though. It looks like you may have turned on the car with the airbag connector disconnected. A simple clear will get rid of the message.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 11:19 AM   #3
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
Get shawnsheridan to send you Tool32.

You will need an ENET cable to be able to do this though. It looks like you may have turned on the car with the airbag connector disconnected. A simple clear will get rid of the message.
Hi, Aritaurus, first all, thank you for your help.

Yeah, I will ask Shawn for the clear tool first. I ordered an ENET cable but the part is not yet here, hopefully by the weekend.

smilo did his steering wheel without the airbag connected and received this error "Default Airbag system driver", different from what I have. http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1126045

Now come to think about it, I reconnected the air connectors from the pins to the steering column, but the SZL pins were not connected properly on the back of the steering wheels. I took the SZL connector off to look if I needed to make a connection for the SZL to FEM and that connector was out of the socket when the electricity was reconnected.

Past: E46 Metallic Blue Coupe 323i GONE: E86 Jet Black Z4 Convertible GONE: E92 Crimson Red 335i,
F30 Liquid Blue Matallic 328i
Current Garage Queen: Mineral White F83 M4
Appreciate 0