F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > 335i xDrive lowering springs?
proTUNING Freaks

05-25-2021, 01:24 PM   #45
Kooner23
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i & E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlblues View Post
Thank you for mentioning your conversation with Koni on the Dinan spring compatibility. I thought I had remembered an old post of yours where they said it either wasnt compatible or they didnt know. Yes, according to their website, when searching based on my vehicle, they offer the Sport Yellows and the Special Active Reds.
I have the shorter Dinan bumpstops on my car now. Are you saying the F80 versions would be shorter/better?
Here's a post comparing the original, F80 and Dinan bumpstops. F80 bump stops are slightly longer than the Dinans. Probably not worth switching to F80 bump stops from Dinan.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1621134
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2021, 06:08 PM   #46
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlblues View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Have you definitely seen a Koni option for Special Actives for your model? There are a handful of cars that for some unknown reason, Koni has not produced SA's. Koni-USA catalog isn't always complete. So if you don't see it there then make sure to check Koni-Germany catalog.

It's not that big of a deal because Koni Yellows set all the way towards Comfort are in the middle of the range of the SA's.

Based on conversations that I've had with Koni-NA, you could still use SA's with the drop of your Dinan springs. They said that the critical issue is not to have the shocks bottoming out on the stock bump stops which confuses the SA valving. So you should be fine if you use the shorter F80 bump stops. That goes for the Koni Sport Yellows too.
Thank you for mentioning your conversation with Koni on the Dinan spring compatibility. I thought I had remembered an old post of yours where they said it either wasnt compatible or they didnt know. Yes, according to their website, when searching based on my vehicle, they offer the Sport Yellows and the Special Active Reds.
I have the shorter Dinan bumpstops on my car now. Are you saying the F80 versions would be shorter/better?
I don't know which BMW bump stops Dinan sold you. If you get a chance to pull the BMW part numbers and measurements off them please let me know. It's possible that they could even be the same as the F80 bump stops. Part numbers and measurements for those are in the photo that I posted
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 06:15 PM   #47
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooner23 View Post
Quote:
Yes. I always go to a dealer or an alignment shop experienced with BMWs. And they set it to stock alignment specs.

I'm curious why you used the Eibach (-05) springs if you have a F30 335i xDrive? That's the car that I have and the (-06) springs are specified for it. The drop is front 0.8" and rear 0.6" which is about F20mm/R15mm. See photos

Eibachs Germany catalog also specifies the the -05 part number as being compatible with the F30 xdrive. Rear springs are exactly the same in both kits however, the front springs should sit slightly lower due to the difference in load ratings of the springs.

Simply went with the -05 part number for the lower front end and more of an even front and back drop without sacrificing to much ride quality on regular dampers.
But you seem to be getting less front drop with the (-05) springs, not more?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 07:17 PM   #48
Kooner23
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Here are my before and current measurements. For each measurement, I measured from the wheel arch to the top of my wheel right at the silver line.

Side note: These current measurements, is with more fuel than the before measurements. I'll remeasure in a week to see if the springs settle out, and the gas will be near the same amount then.

Driver Front: Before 10.5cm -> After 8.9cm Total drop = 1.6 cm

Passenger Front: Before 10.6cm -> After 8.6cm Total drop = 2 cm

Driver Rear: Before 11.2cm -> After 9.3cm Total drop = 1.9 cm

Passenger Rear: Before 10.7cm -> After 8.9cm Total drop = 1.8 cm

As for the -05 not dropping more than the -06 part number. My guess would be the springs may need some time to settle, and the old springs and struts were original with over 80K km on them, so maybe they had more of sag to them as time went on!

Did your Eibachs springs settle at all?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 08:28 PM   #49
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
Quote:
Here are my before and current measurements. For each measurement, I measured from the wheel arch to the top of my wheel right at the silver line.

Side note: These current measurements, is with more fuel than the before measurements. I'll remeasure in a week to see if the springs settle out, and the gas will be near the same amount then.

As for the -05 not dropping more than the -06 part number. My guess would be the springs may need some time to settle, and the old springs and struts were original with over 80K km on them, so maybe they had more of sag to them as time went on!

Would you mind measuring from the center of the hub (the + of the roundel on each wheel) to the fender arch? That way others can compare and wheel size doesn't affect the comparison measurements. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 09:23 PM   #50
Kooner23
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
Would you mind measuring from the center of the hub (the + of the roundel on each wheel) to the fender arch? That way others can compare and wheel size doesn't affect the comparison measurements. Thanks!
Yes, I was originally going to do that but depending on where the spoke lands it pushes out the measuring tape slightly. So these numbers could be off by a mm or so.

Driver front: 36cm
Passenger Front: 35.7cm
Driver rear 36.3cm
Passenger rear: 35.9cm

Would like to know other measurements on lowered f30 xdrives!
Appreciate 2
      05-26-2021, 08:36 AM   #51
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I don't think my Eibach (-06) springs settled much at all. I got pretty much the exact drop that was estimated, Front 0.8" and rear 0.6". I replaced mine with my car at low miles, so stock springs definitely weren't sagging.
2015 335i Xdrive
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2021, 08:51 AM   #52
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
Yes, I was originally going to do that but depending on where the spoke lands it pushes out the measuring tape slightly. So these numbers could be off by a mm or so.

Driver front: 36cm
Passenger Front: 35.7cm
Driver rear 36.3cm
Passenger rear: 35.9cm

Would like to know other measurements on lowered f30 xdrives!
Measuring tip:
Use a four foot long level and some blue painters tape. I put blue painters tape across the top of the fender lip. Then line up the level vertically on the ground so that its edge goes through the center point of the BMW wheel logo. Make sure the bubble in the level is in the middle. Then mark on the blue painters tape, the exact vertical spot on the lip.

Then measure from wheel centerpoint to mark on painters tape on fender lip.

The wheel centerpoint never changes since it's the center of the wheel hub. So it's always perfect reference point if trying to compare how much a suspension has been raised or lowered. Just make sure that you used this same method to getting starting points at all four wheels with the stock suspension.

Even if two guys had the exact same wheels, if they use the top of the wheel rim as their measuring point, their measurements might not be comparable. That's because they could have different tires at different air pressures. If their measured tire diameters aren't exactly the same then even with identical wheels their measurements aren't comparable.

Always use the wheel centerpoint to take drop comparison measurements!

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2021, 01:26 AM   #53
F30xn55
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Xdrive

Quote:
I don't think my Eibach (-06) springs settled much at all. I got pretty much the exact drop that was estimated, Front 0.8" and rear 0.6". I replaced mine with my car at low miles, so stock springs definitely weren't sagging.
2015 335i Xdrive
I am also looking to get the 06 or 05 springs, do you have any pictures of how your car sits?
Appreciate 0