F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > High Pressure Fuel Pump Replacement
Extreme Powerhouse

09-03-2020, 07:02 AM   #45
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 328d

That's right. Or for the latest PN, I'll quote your earlier post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
Bosch part number 0445010517 is not the latest. That one stopped being revised after October of 2015. Next design came out in July 2016.

The newest Bosch number for this car is 0445010783, which is BMW part number 13518597819 (and a 03 minor revision underneath that part number)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 08:29 AM   #46
lfdal54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 2023 X3 M40i

A question for the folks that have done the HPFP on the diesel, got my wife's 2018 328d wagon back from the dealership with the HPFP recall late last night and have a question. At the lot it started fine. On the way home noticed what sounded like an air inrush sound. This was a new sound. Also noticed when we shut the car off there was the sound of something spooling/whirring down, only for a couple of seconds, followed by a "thunk". This was repeatable. Going to call the dealership this morning, but was looking for some insight before they get to make it worse. I hate it when people touch my cars, but this level of replacement is beyond what I can do at home. Any thoughts welcome.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 08:45 AM   #47
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep

Did they actually replace the pump? Quite often my car makes a thunk as the trans sets itself into park. Just intrinsic to having a cable free transmission shifter though. No reason the pump should cause a thunk I can think of. As far as the whirring / wind sounds, maybe the intake pipe to the turbo is loose? Or the air filter housing fits into a notch kinda deal on the left side, maybe they misaligned it. Unless you want to mess with the piping, probably best to have them take another look.

The throttlebody makes some noise when the car is shut off. Could always pop the hood and listen in that area to see if that's where it's coming from. Any software updates while it was in? I know my throttle body made a different noise previously, and now it makes a clicking noise like a woodpecker for about 5-10 seconds after shutdown… that started after I updated one of the ECU's.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 09:17 AM   #48
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfdal54 View Post
A question for the folks that have done the HPFP on the diesel, got my wife's 2018 328d wagon back from the dealership with the HPFP recall late last night and have a question. At the lot it started fine. On the way home noticed what sounded like an air inrush sound. This was a new sound. Also noticed when we shut the car off there was the sound of something spooling/whirring down, only for a couple of seconds, followed by a "thunk". This was repeatable. Going to call the dealership this morning, but was looking for some insight before they get to make it worse. I hate it when people touch my cars, but this level of replacement is beyond what I can do at home. Any thoughts welcome.
The turbocharger will normally spool down on turn-off making the pitched spool down sound, then the "throttle body" will close making the thump when the air flow is interrupted. Then all of that is followed by a bunch of electrical buzzing and whirring. That part is normal from factory.

What is abnormal is that you hear it now, which makes it more pronounced. That worries me whether or not they installed all the right things back, since they had to take a few pieces out to get to HPFP. The other question is whether or not they flashed your car with a newer iStep version while there? I noticed different versions may have adjusted the shut down sequence and turbo behavior, which as a result can affect the noise of the turbo spooling down. Let us know what you find.

That is the exact reason why I have not taken my car to the dealer for the recall. I think my car is safer sitting on a time bomb than it is in my dealer's hands. It is sad, but true.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 03:05 PM   #49
lfdal54
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated. They did replace the pump, definitely a new part in there. Went out today and found the problems, plural. None of the clips holding the airbox assembly were engaged. The rear top seal of the air filter was clearly visible and looked a good 1/2 inch open at the back. Definitely sucking in some unfiltered air, glad we didn't travel far. The main air noise was what I call the mystery hose, it's the one that goes from the bottom, driver's side of the airbox to the main inlet. That was totally disengaged and just hanging in space. It click-locked back to the airbox with no problem, so I'm assuming it's okay. Definitely different shutdown noises than last night, also definitely on the passenger side of the engine in the area of the turbo. I checked as much as I could in the area of the HPFP and everything looks like it's connected.

I'm going to vent at the dealership later. They're going to get to totally reinspect the installation. The bottom of the airbox felt looser than what I remembered from doing the air filter in Dec of 202o. I'm hoping the air intake is connected. At least I feel comfortable driving it now. We let them do the rear brakes instead of me doing them, plus they did two control arm bushings. Given how gently she drives that wagon I'm not happy about the bushings at 45k miles. So about $1700 over and above the recall.

Last edited by lfdal54; 02-10-2022 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 03:23 PM   #50
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep

Glad you got it figured out. Sounds like they just got lazy! 45k is definitely early for control arm bushings. I did the rear bushings at about 180k, BMW actually calls them ball joints if it's the same one I replaced. Very tricky job without the specialty tool.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 01:22 PM   #51
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328dx

Garage List
Quote:
Also noticed when we shut the car off there was the sound of something spooling/whirring down, only for a couple of seconds, followed by a "thunk". This was repeatable. Going to call the dealership this morning, but was looking for some insight before they get to make it worse. I hate it when people touch my cars, but this level of replacement is beyond what I can do at home. Any thoughts welcome.
Would this happen to be the noise you heard?

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 07:46 AM   #52
lfdal54
Major
United_States
Rep

Sorry for the lag, been away. My shutdown noise was similar, but stopped within 15 seconds. Didn't have the startup noise.

Looks like I'll be making another trip back to the dealership though. Noticed when wife pulled out of garage last night there was oil under the car. Looked at the car after it sat in the garage a while last night. Looks like the top of the splash shield, or whatever BMW calls the undercover is wet with oil. Looks like the underside is as well. Slid some cardboard under there and will look at it after I have more coffee. Popped the engine cover but couldn't see anything obvious. Any idea what they could have compromised that would cause an oil leak? Can't believe this is a coincidence. Did I mention I hate letting anyone else touch my cars?

Last edited by lfdal54; 02-23-2022 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 11:05 AM   #53
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry for the lag, been away. My shutdown noise was similar, but stopped within 15 seconds. Didn't have the startup noise.

Looks like I'll be making another trip back to the dealership though. Noticed when wife pulled out of garage last night there was oil under the car. Looked at the car after it sat in the garage a while last night. Looks like the top of the splash shield, or whatever BMW calls the undercover is wet with oil. Looks like the underside is as well. Slid some cardboard under there and will look at it after I have more coffee. Popped the engine cover but couldn't see anything obvious. Any idea what they could have compromised that would cause an oil leak? Can't believe this is a coincidence. Did I mention I hate letting anyone else touch my cars?
Was it spillage from the oil filter cap? Did they tighten that all the way? How's the overall oil level look from your dip stick?

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 12:39 PM   #54
lfdal54
Major
United_States
Rep

If only there was a dipstick..... the automated oil check says its fine. The fill cap is fine and the oil filter cap is fine. Can't really see anything from above, except the wet top of the undershield. If I wanted to find it the best way at this point is to put it on ramps and pull the undershield. Made an appointment for the dealer to fix it on Tuesday. They would have taken it on Saturday but it needs a March inspection sticker. Going to see if I can find the procedure for changing the HPFP to see what they might have screwed up. I also hate trying to clean up oil stains on my concrete garage floor.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 01:04 PM   #55
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Quote:
If only there was a dipstick..... the automated oil check says its fine. The fill cap is fine and the oil filter cap is fine. Can't really see anything from above, except the wet top of the undershield. If I wanted to find it the best way at this point is to put it on ramps and pull the undershield. Made an appointment for the dealer to fix it on Tuesday. They would have taken it on Saturday but it needs a March inspection sticker. Going to see if I can find the procedure for changing the HPFP to see what they might have screwed up. I also hate trying to clean up oil stains on my concrete garage floor.
Um, there is a dipstick...
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 05:05 PM   #56
lfdal54
Major
United_States
Rep

Not on my 2018. At least whatever is in the dipstick tube doesn't come out. I've pulled with as much pull as I dare and it doesn't budge. Can't see any sign of a locking mechanism ala Nissan but I'll ask the dealer next week. Be nice if there was a useful stick. Went researching and saw folks recommended turning and pulling hard. I have unpleasant visions of breaking something.

Last edited by lfdal54; 02-23-2022 at 06:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 05:10 PM   #57
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hmm, should be one on the drivers side. You do have to remove the top acoustic cover to get to it though. It's not accessible with the cover on.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 05:13 PM   #58
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep

Right here. I would hope they all have dipsticks, Having to use the automated system during an oil change would be no fun!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 10:04 PM   #59
lfdal54
Major
United_States
Rep

Appreciate the responses. Thats interesting - "remove the torx screw that holds the dipstick in place" - torx screw? I can find the dipstick easy enough. Although the stick on mine has a black top. I can find a p/n for the stick on realoem, and cross it to a stick from a BMW dealership, although doesn't look anything like the head on mine. I'll give it one more good tug tomorrow then ask the dealership to free it up when they have the car next week. Sincerely, today I put my entire bodyweight behind pulling on the thing with no results. BTW - I've had the cover off on my X3m40i and if that has a stick I haven't seen it, nor does realoem list one. I'll look again next time I'm under there. Hasn't been a concern so far since the dealer has been doing the oil changes on both of them, although I plan on starting to do the 328d's now that its about to hit 50k.

Last edited by lfdal54; 02-23-2022 at 10:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 10:17 PM   #60
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep

The Torx screw is just for removing the dipstick holder from the engine block. That was a pic from the writeup in this thread to remove the hpfp. If you have one it shouldn't need any tools. Dunno, mine comes out pretty easily, but it's a 2014.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 11:22 PM   #61
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

I have a 2018, there most definitely is a dipstick. I use it every time I changed my own own after the "free" maintenance period ended. It does not require brute force, I pull it with 2 fingers. You don't have to take cover off, it just makes it easier with cover off. All N47 and N57 engines have it. Only gassers got rid of dipstick.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 02:31 PM   #62
lfdal54
Major
United_States
Rep

First, thanks everyone for not calling me an idiot. Kindness is much appreciated. I went out there again today and gave the stick one last ho-heave-ho. It let go with a pop and came out of the tube. All in one piece. Yea team. Interestingly enough I reinserted and removed it about a dozen times thereafter and its now a light two finger pull just like any other dipstick. The good news is that it agreed with the iDrive and I haven't lost enough oil to make a dent on the stick. The bad news is that the drip pan I slid under the car is still getting oil on it. Onward to Tuesday.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 05:00 PM   #63
NanasBack
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: EB 335 oil burner

If the engine is N57, see attached procedure for HPFP replacement.
It states, the transmission has to be dropped as well. (Auto).

13 51 017 Removing and installing_replacing high pressure pump (N57 D30 O_T 1).pdf
      02-24-2022, 05:59 PM   #64
lfdal54
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanasBack View Post
If the engine is N57, see attached procedure for HPFP replacement.
It states, the transmission has to be dropped as well. (Auto).

Attachment 2820724
I think I just became really happy hers is an N47.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 08:13 AM   #65
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ouch, it is a little tight on the N47, I would have to see it on the N57. Maybe you could get away with just lowering the tail of the transmission. Unless the bell housing is in the way or something, then I guess removal it is! Glad I didn't have to do that.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 01:22 PM   #66
lfdal54
Major
United_States
Rep

Just cause I hate to bother people for information and not tell them what happened.

The oil leak was the o-rings on the dip-stick tube where it goes into the block. At least that's what they said. I was trying to replay the chronology of events to see if I contributed to it. When she first got the car back in 2019 I noticed the dipstick tube and gave the stick a few good tugs. At the time I wasn't sure if it was really a stick or something BMW blanked off so I didn't pursue it.

No leaks in the intervening time.

I didn't notice the leaks on the floor until after the car came back from the recall. Indeed, in the two weeks it was at the shop, I definitely noticed no oil on the floor. I did start to mess with the stick as I mentioned previously, but not until after the HPFP was changed and I noticed oil on the floor. So, I don't think it was anything I did.

Been back in the garage a week now with a 240 mile round trip on-it and no oil loss or further staining. I hate coincidences.

Thanks for all the advice.

Last edited by lfdal54; 03-10-2022 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
FaRKle!4016.00