F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > How to remove 3M Tape Or Glue from front bumper?
proTUNING Freaks

01-20-2021, 07:46 AM   #1
tafmasterpl
Rep
Drives: F30

How to remove 3M Tape Or Glue from front bumper?

Hello guys i’ve got an accident last week crashed my bimmer through snow and even xdrive couldnt help me i killed 2 michelin pilot alpin 5’s and front splitter which was added by previous owner, thankfully thats all the damage, i replaced tires already and now i need to clean up the front it looks like this(pics):

View post on imgur.com

I think its the 3M tape or some kind of glue, but it looks really really hard to remove, could u advise me what to do to remove it without destroying the paint that much(i want to add same black splitters on sides again so it doesnt need to be perfect because i will cover it anyway)

And maybe another question if u got any advices do you have any ideas how to remove that white scar without paying for the painting whole element because thats the only thing that looks odd(the rest is just some dirt & flies and whole front is fine)

Thanks for help guys
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 08:15 AM   #2
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
To remove the adhesive tape I'd start with a plastic razor blade and gently try to scrape it away. You can also try "flossing" it off with fishing line, but if the pieces of tape aren't very tall, the plastic razor blade will work better.

Once the tape is off the remaining goo can be removed with an adhesive remover or something like goo gone. I've also used Stoner's Bug and Tar remover with success. I really think most of those products are made out of the same stuff.

As for the scuff on the black plastic, that will be hard to repair. Removing the paint transfer will help a lot and you could follow up with a trim restorer product to make it look black again. If it was on the painted part of the far you could gently polish the area to make it look better, but plastic will be much harder. Not sure you'll be able to improve it much.

EDIT: Just noticed you're in Poland, so my actual product recommendations won't work. I would just go with whatever product of the same type you can find locally.
      01-20-2021, 10:55 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Use low heat from a hair dryer to soften the tape, then roll it off with your thumb.
Appreciate 0