F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Nu Finish
proTUNING Freaks

08-21-2018, 09:33 AM   #23
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Random orbits are best with finer grades of compound, polishes, sealers and wax. They don't work well with heavy cut compounds for paint correction, that's where you want to use a rotary buffer.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 07:25 AM   #24
bringit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328d

I haven't really detailed my car for years and was really out of touch with the latest "chemicals" so I spent a month on and off reading about all the more popular sealants on the market and picked up a torx RO polisher.

Before I knew any better, I did buy a bottle of nufinish since I used this years ago and was familiar with the stuff. I wanted to just say that I've used like half a bottle of this stuff applied with my RO and IMO the hydrophobic properties and durability of this product is actually really good. It does last for months.. I applied it after washing, claying, did 1 pass of Meguiar's ultimate compound to remove swirls and finished with nufinish and the water does bead very well for months. Pretty easy to apply and remove. There are videos on youtube demonstrating it's durability where it will lasts for months where brand name products like Meguiars will fail after a few car washes. For the price ($12CAD) and availability it seems great.. also it was pretty easy to apply and remove with a microfiber cloth.

I really want to try collonite 845 next as it seems to get good reviews. Just trying to source it locally for a decent price. The only thing I'm hoping to get from collonite is a better glossier shine. This is the only thing I feel I'm not getting from the nufinish.. I want more pop! Will I get this from collonite?

Last edited by bringit; 08-24-2018 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      08-24-2018, 08:25 AM   #25
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

The only way to get a super deep finish is the old fashioned way, by compounding and polishing. Whatever you use for a top coat can't make up for a bad finish beneath it.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 09:23 AM   #26
bringit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328d

I recently bought Meguiars Ultimate polish.. I haven't tried that yet. I was thinking that because I missed the polishing step after the compounding, maybe that should bring out more of that glossy shine. I should try that first..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 11:32 AM   #27
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

To do a really good job there are four steps. You start with a heavy cut compound to remove defects and scratches, a light cut compound to restore some of the shine, a polish to get the full shine, a sealer to protect it. If the paint's not in bad shape you can skip the first step, but you can't skip the third.
Appreciate 0