F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > ER FMIC Boost Leak
Studio RSR

03-25-2019, 11:00 PM   #1
brofessorpham
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320i F30 N20

ER FMIC Boost Leak

So I just installed my ER FMIC w/ Chargepipe and have noticed that my car has gone into limp mode. It’s coding “Drivetrain malfunction” and fails to even touch 4psi on WOT. I can hear a loud whining noise on the driver side of the vehicle. I am assuming there is a boost leak and I suspect that it may be from the O ring gaskets. Does anybody on here know what may be the problem? Also what size are the O ring gaskets and does anybody know where I can order them?
Alpine White 320i /// BM3 Stage 2 93 OCT AGG /// Evolution Racewerks FMIC-CP-TP /// VRSF Catless Downpipe /// AWE Tuning Touring Exhaust /// Injen SP Series Intake /// M3 Style Headlights /// Carbon Fiber Spoiler-Lip-Grille
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 12:12 AM   #2
Big.Al
Instagram @F82_Al
Rep
Drives: 2017 F82 M4

idk if you checked or not but see if the meth bung plugs are tightly secured or if they flew off because on most charge pipes they come in shipped loose and you need to tighten them. this was my issue after installing vrsf cp
      03-26-2019, 08:30 AM   #3
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

My connection was loose after my first install. Just re-did it no prob since. (My fmic was not ER)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 11:05 AM   #4
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Did you install the o-rings properly, with the barb flap in the right direction?

How was the o-ring condition? The barb flap is delicate and easy to damage.

I'd loosen the silicon coupler, make sure each half is relaxed, then re-tighten each t-bolt clamp(back-n-forth) on the coupler

Last edited by alohasurftoad; 03-26-2019 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 1
rjd_F301999.50
      03-26-2019, 04:05 PM   #5
brofessorpham
Enlisted Member
Rep

I actually did not check the meth bungs to see if they were tightened; however, I didn't see anything loose so I assumed it was on correctly.

I did DIY this install.

Will check back to see if the couplers/O-rings/FMIC-CP connections are secured and undamaged.

Gonna do a leak test as soon as I get home.

Thanks for the info!
Alpine White 320i /// BM3 Stage 2 93 OCT AGG /// Evolution Racewerks FMIC-CP-TP /// VRSF Catless Downpipe /// AWE Tuning Touring Exhaust /// Injen SP Series Intake /// M3 Style Headlights /// Carbon Fiber Spoiler-Lip-Grille
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 05:19 PM   #6
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

Yeah, sounds like the o-ring didn't set or even tore. Start with the easy side, intake top and work downward.

I just did this install over the last weekend. I ended up having to order new O-rings because the heat cycles SERIOUSLY baked the rings solid, stiff.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 09:02 PM   #7
brofessorpham
Enlisted Member
Rep

Brief update. The rough idle appears to be more prevalent.. it has actually gotten so bad to the point my engine stalled several times. Can an O-ring really cause this or would this be a loose connection CP/FMIC? This isn't even a matter of boost loss but rather engine failure. I'm also getting codes for lean mixtures on 93 octane.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 11:49 PM   #8
brofessorpham
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
Did you install the o-rings properly, with the barb flap in the right direction?

How was the o-ring condition? The barb flap is delicate and easy to damage.

I'd loosen the silicon coupler, make sure each half is relaxed, then re-tighten each t-bolt clamp(back-n-forth) on the coupler
Based off of memory of the install, I remember the o-ring on chargepipe towards throttle body was in good condition and it fit nice and snug. The O-ring on the chargepipe towards intercooler did not fit very well. In fact it had some gaps as I was trying to force it to squeeze in the groove. I am ordering new ones and will reinstall the o-rings.
Appreciate 0