F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Is this dealer trying to play me? (I'm pretty young buyer)
Studio RSR

04-21-2014, 08:17 AM   #45
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Truth be told, you probably won't get much in the way of a discount from sticker on a 4 Series Convertible due to the fact that they're so new.

That said, the sales rep shouldn't of been such a d-bag about it. I bought my first new car when I was 22 (Infiniti) and was treated with respect at every dealership I went to (I also looked at BMW and Lexus). All I did was just set up appointments to test drive, explain to the sales rep exactly what I was looking for, when I was looking to make a purchase and was treated with respect at all of the places I went to.

This go around, at 29 years old (I'm told I look much younger), I scheduled an appointment with Audi and BMW on days where it just so happened to rain (one day it frickin snowed). The sales guys at both places joked that I must be serious since no one comes in to take a joy ride in crappy weather. The guy at Audi went a step further and insisted that we use the weather to demonstrate the S4's Quattro AWD system and insisted that I drive it like a bat out of hell.

Anyway, if you're looking at getting a 4 Series convertible, you may want to wait a few months unless you don't mind paying close to sticker for one. If you want sales guys to treat you like an adult, just act like one. Not saying you were being childish or anything, just go in there with confidence, walk in and introduce yourself with a firm handshake. If you go in feeling like you're too young to be in there, the sales reps will get that vibe too (they shouldn't judge a book by it's cover in such a way but unfortunately some of them do). You've done all the research, go in there and show it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 08:24 AM   #46
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
It happens to us older guys to that don't fit the mold of a BMW buyer. I am essentially a supervisor, field tech, delivery guy rolled in to one for what I do for a living and make a decent paycheck. I also have a wife that makes a very good living.

So one day I pull up one of my local dealers in my admittedly ratty work truck and dressed in my standard work uniform (not a suit and tie). Any way, nobody wants to talk to me so I approach one of the sales guys at his desk and ask if he can help me. The guy is very short with me and dismissive so I leave fairly quickly with a bad taste in my mouth for said dealership.

Fast forward a couple of years later, through some research I ended up finding a very good CA at the dealership and have now bought three cars from them in the last 1 1/2. I always made it a point to make eye contact with the CA that was a pompous ass to me as I was taking delivery of the car. I'm not really a petty guy, but it was fun doing that little f u to him on the way out each time.

It is unfortunate for the dealership that if somebodies first contact is negative with a bad CA, it taints the view of the entire dealership from a customer perspective. My dealership is mostly above average (sales, parts, service etc.) and maybe would not have of ever known this if I didn't find the second CA.
Man I have a horror story of my own. I knew of a guy who went in and wanted to look at a Lexus GS and was ready to buy that day if he liked it enough. The sales guy looked at him and told him that he may want to go to the Toyota dealership across the street as they have a more affordable selection of cars.

Needless to say, this guy has never purchased a Lexus and he swears he never will after that.

When I went there (different dealership), they were by far the nicest people I've ever dealt with. When I called my sales guy there back in 2007 to let him know that I went ahead and purchased an Infiniti and thanked him for his time, a couple weeks later he sent me a letter CONGRATULATING ME on my purchase of the Infiniti. He then sent me an invitation to go to the local track to test drive the, then, new IS-F with professional race instructors teaching you how to drive on a track. I told myself that I'd recommend anyone who ever wants a Lexus to go see that guy. Unfortunately for him, most of my friends have no interest in owning a Lexus.

Just goes to show how different dealers and individual sales folks are.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 08:33 AM   #47
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Sounds like you're losing sleep over this, or we're missing a piece of information here.

Just simply go to another dealership.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 08:37 AM   #48
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M5 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyun89 View Post
I went to a dealership just now to see new 4 series convertible. I am pretty young at age 24, but I have a high paying job. However, it felt like this dealer wasn't even interested in trying to get me the car. It seems he wanted to get rid of me since I was young. Here are the funny stuffs:

The guy claiming he sold BMW for 12 years didn't even know lower end cars like 4 series without DHP still has adaptive suspension that could control the stiffness with the Experience control (those rocker button with label "Eco Pro" and "Sport"). He urged me to keep try feeling the difference between the modes, but I swear my butt didn't feel a difference. If I'm wrong please point it out, but I'm very sure I am right.

I was looking at a almost fully loaded 428i Convertible to lease-- over 64000. I had the money to pay the MSRP but obviously won't. I tried to negotiate with the guy and told him I want to pay as close to the invoice price but would leave few hundred dollars for their profit. But he just told me to leave. So I did without a budge. He was saying he cannot lower the monthly payment below 800! (I was looking into 15k and 3 yr lease). My Father with 740LI has been paying 804 dollar for his lease! (He have lower mileage but still its 7 SERIES!!!)

Anyways, they just lost one good customer. I felt very insulted. They should show more respect to young people. It might have been just that dealer. I saw him having bad personality towards his coworkers too. But anyways,

I'm glad you have a high paying job and can afford the car. I truly am. I'm guessing it's a high paying technically oriented job, because your writing is really terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine435i View Post
Had he blown you away with amazing customer service and a price "close to the invoice," would you have bought the car?

Salesman only make money when they sell cars. It's not wise of them to turn away a potential sale. However, in reality...they rarely do. If they've been selling cars for more than a few years, they know when a customer in front of them is serious or just kicking tires. They don't like wasting time.

For the record, "lower end cars like 4 series without DHP" actually do NOT have "adaptive suspension that could control the stiffness with the Experience control."
^ this
I guess me and him have something in common my spelling and speech is horrible plus im a high school drop out
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #49
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///SAL View Post
I guess me and him have something in common my spelling and speech is horrible plus im a high school drop out
I guess him and I have something in common*

Just messing.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 08:43 AM   #50
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M5 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///SAL View Post
I guess him and I have something in common*

Just messing.
Lmaoo told you im all fucked up
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 08:45 AM   #51
russellsdad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition xDrive SPY

I agree with what many others have said. Do your homework first before you go to dealerships asking for test drives. With the Internet nowadays, there is really no excuse for not doing proper research especially for such a large purchase. Sites like Edmunds.com are invaluable for researching not just options but also prices for everything. Edmunds can show invoice as well as true market prices for the car you want including all options. Plus places like Costco Auto can even pre-negotiate the price of the car already at few hundred over invoice.

When I bought my car I used Costco. I knew exactly which options were must-haves and which I definitely did not want. I corresponded with the Internet sales manager initially over phone and email. That should avoid any possible pre-conceived notions by the dealer about your age or perceived ability to afford the car.

At the very least it is always best to schedule test drives ahead of time. That way you won't look like just another guy kicking tires wasting time. To me just walking in off the street is kinda outdated method to buy a new car especially a luxury brand.
2015 Maserati GranTurismo Sport, Bianco Eldorado
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #52
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
It happens to us older guys to that don't fit the mold of a BMW buyer. I am essentially a supervisor, field tech, delivery guy rolled in to one for what I do for a living and make a decent paycheck. I also have a wife that makes a very good living.

So one day I pull up one of my local dealers in my admittedly ratty work truck and dressed in my standard work uniform (not a suit and tie). Any way, nobody wants to talk to me so I approach one of the sales guys at his desk and ask if he can help me. The guy is very short with me and dismissive so I leave fairly quickly with a bad taste in my mouth for said dealership.

Fast forward a couple of years later, through some research I ended up finding a very good CA at the dealership and have now bought three cars from them in the last 1 1/2. I always made it a point to make eye contact with the CA that was a pompous ass to me as I was taking delivery of the car. I'm not really a petty guy, but it was fun doing that little f u to him on the way out each time.

It is unfortunate for the dealership that if somebodies first contact is negative with a bad CA, it taints the view of the entire dealership from a customer perspective. My dealership is mostly above average (sales, parts, service etc.) and maybe would not have of ever known this if I didn't find the second CA.
Man I have a horror story of my own. I knew of a guy who went in and wanted to look at a Lexus GS and was ready to buy that day if he liked it enough. The sales guy looked at him and told him that he may want to go to the Toyota dealership across the street as they have a more affordable selection of cars.

Needless to say, this guy has never purchased a Lexus and he swears he never will after that.

When I went there (different dealership), they were by far the nicest people I've ever dealt with. When I called my sales guy there back in 2007 to let him know that I went ahead and purchased an Infiniti and thanked him for his time, a couple weeks later he sent me a letter CONGRATULATING ME on my purchase of the Infiniti. He then sent me an invitation to go to the local track to test drive the, then, new IS-F with professional race instructors teaching you how to drive on a track. I told myself that I'd recommend anyone who ever wants a Lexus to go see that guy. Unfortunately for him, most of my friends have no interest in owning a Lexus.

I had a similar situation when I purchased my F30. The Audi sales rep congratulated me after I informed him that I decided on the 335. He also sent me a text a week later to ask how I liked the new car.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 09:37 AM   #53
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyun89 View Post
I tried to be as polite to them as possible and to understand their part that they're doing their job to make money for their living and it's a very stressing job.. I just wanted equal treatment in return. But I guess some dealers just never understands their customers.

I guess it is their tactic to make their customer wait for a long time and make the customer feel like they should walk out. The dealer I faced yesterday made me wait for 30 minutes. At that time, I had a sense that this dealer wasn't going to be a nice one. I hope some dealers out there sees this and learn to treat their customers better.
I understand what youre getting at but youre really only a victim if you let yourself be a victim. Go to another salesman in the same store. THAT would teach the guy a lesson if you bought a car from him. Have you/are you actually going to buy a car even if you don't get near "invoice"? No chance the 4 series cab will be heavily discounted. It just came out.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 09:55 AM   #54
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post

Wow, I know this is a common thought, but I just do not get some people. Why in the hell would a salesman say that to him? Even if the salesman felt that way about your buddy, there are so many other ways not to deal with a customer and not come off like an ass damaging the brand/dealership image. He could of easily said he was busy with another customer and would find another sales associate to help him or something else. This has to drive good dealership managers nuts.

The second guy has the right attitude. He knows it is a tough market with a lot of good competition and why not do some networking? Plus people like us tend to get bored with cars quick and like to switch to the latest and greatest. It's almost never a good idea to burn bridges.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #55
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
I had a similar situation when I purchased my F30. The Audi sales rep congratulated me after I informed him that I decided on the 335. He also sent me a text a week later to ask how I liked the new car.
Nice, another sales rep that gets it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 10:01 AM   #56
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
I understand what youre getting at but youre really only a victim if you let yourself be a victim. Go to another salesman in the same store. THAT would teach the guy a lesson if you bought a car from him. Have you/are you actually going to buy a car even if you don't get near "invoice"? No chance the 4 series cab will be heavily discounted. It just came out.
Exactly, plus it can be fun at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #57
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
Nice, another sales rep that gets it.
Indeed. I told him that I would do business with him at some point in the future. I even emailed his manager about my experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #58
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

OP, why don't you write a review on Yelp about that dealership, and give it a yelp rating? Mention the sales persons name too.

Many dealerships' sales managers watch the yelp reviews, and it's a good way for them to find out a particular salesman has been damaging their reputation.

I did this once when I was treated horribly by a dealership, and a sales manager contacted me the same day with apologies and a more professional approach.
      04-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #59
Quakered
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: was BMW 328 Tourer F31

Only hearing one side of the story here but I do think the original poster is the author of this own misfortune. If he had already bought a BMW from the dealer and had good service, why not contact his original salesman and say he wanted to come in and talk about getting a 4 series? I bet the salesman would have been so glad to see him he would have had an erection! Loyalty is a two way street.

As also mentioned, a little research would not have done any harm. The 4 convertible is brand new and in demand (just before the Summer) so no surprise that dealers might not want to give them away to self satisfied school kids. If he had wanted a 7 series I am sure the salesman would have tried his best to flog him one of these barges so he could claim the brownie points for being the only person the the dealership to have shift one this year.

I know being a scruffy git is acceptable in some circles these days but if you want to be taken seriously dress like you are serious. If I was running a dealership I would insist anyone in jeans should only be allowed in the tradesmen's entrance to the shop!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #60
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quakered View Post
If he had wanted a 7 series I am sure the salesman would have tried his best to flog him one of these barges so he could claim the brownie points for being the only person the the dealership to have shift one this year.
This made me lol. Even though they're fairly common in the US.

Quote:
I know being a scruffy git is acceptable in some circles these days but if you want to be taken seriously dress like you are serious. If I was running a dealership I would insist anyone in jeans should only be allowed in the tradesmen's entrance to the shop!
Meh, I wore jeans when car shopping. Not gonna dress up too much on a Saturday afternoon. If they want me to dress like I'm going to a job interview, then I'd tell them to shove it up their ass. At the end of the day, they're there to perform a service for me, since I'm the one shelling out cash at the end of everything they have no room telling me what I should be wearing when I set foot in their dealership. That said, I don't go out anywhere looking like I just crawled out of bed or anything.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 11:37 AM   #61
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quakered View Post
Must be a UK thing. In the US you'd probably be eliminating over 90% of your customers if you didn't want the casually-dressed crowd. Unless I'm coming directly from work, I'll either be in jeans or shorts which is at least a step up from the sweats I wear at home
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #62
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
Must be a UK thing. In the US you'd probably be eliminating over 90% of your customers if you didn't want the casually-dressed crowd. Unless I'm coming directly from work, I'll either be in jeans or shorts which is at least a step up from the sweats I wear at home
You beat me to it Chief. Quakered's dress code dealership would be out of business very quickly in the U.S.

He does bring up some good points that customers can be a P.I.A., but that comes with any service/sales type job. This is where the better more successful CA's rise and the crappy ones usually sink and leave the business. We are only getting one side of the story, but I don't see where the OP was being unreasonable. If the CA didn't like the offer that the OP gave there are much more professional ways of handling the negotiation than telling him he might as well leave. Maybe there is more to the story, but asking a potential customer to hit the bricks has to be the absolute last option.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #63
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

OP, negotiate on the phone. Use trucecar.com for the costs, get MF and residual % and calc your lease rates yourself

you can get a great deal, without stepping into the dealership other than delivery and avoid issues with age.

EDIT: if you are young and dress casually, sometimes you will get a negative treatment. most sales people, esp in CA, I think are savvy enough to understand that there there a LOT of casually dressed people with $$

Last edited by nicknaz; 04-21-2014 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 12:22 PM   #64
Carnook
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss 335i View Post
I run my own business. My client is king. I don't care what they are here for. Maybe to buy a product. Maybe just to chat about it. Who cares. We first must establish trust. We build relationships. Not selectively choose who to talk to based on what they likelihood is I will make money off of them today.
Yeah, I'm really sure that if a stranger called you up and offered to only pay 0.4% above your cost that you would spend tonnes of time trying to establish trust and build a relationship. More likely you'd find a nice way to say "sorry, I don't think we can do business together" and then see if they come back with a more reasonable offer.

I agree with everyone here that buyers should shop around and try to find the best deal, but sellers are allowed to do the same. Buyers have to be willing to walk away if their offer isn't accepted which means sellers also have the right to walk away.

The customer is king, but they are not always right and they are not always worth having as a customer.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 12:24 PM   #65
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnook
The customer is king, but they are not always right...
This is often forgotten.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #66
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnook View Post
Yeah, I'm really sure that if a stranger called you up and offered to only pay 0.4% above your cost that you would spend tonnes of time trying to establish trust and build a relationship. More likely you'd find a nice way to say "sorry, I don't think we can do business together" and then see if they come back with a more reasonable offer.
It depends. I'm in sales myself and have seen customers that initially say they want to spend $x for something. I don't walk away from those. If the customer is interested and willing to listen, you have a conversation about what they need to see if it's a match with your product. If there is, then you discuss the aspects of the product that suit their needs.

Once you've done all that, sometimes the customer will decide it's worthwhile to pay more (because you've established the value to them), other times you agree to part ways. But even in those situations, the customer will have heard your value prop (and hopefully decided they like you) and might decide in the future to come back or send you a referral.

Today's sale is based on yesterday's conversation. Today's conversation sets up tomorrow's sale. Not having the conversation at all doesn't hurt anybody but the sales guy.
Appreciate 0