F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 428 cold start slight shaking
proTUNING Freaks

10-16-2020, 07:15 AM   #1
Astone22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320 xdrive, f32 428

I have a 2015 428 with 44k miles on it. When I do a cold start after sitting for a couple days I notice a slight shake and I can feel it in the steering wheel. No check engine light. Any thoughts ? I also still have cpo warranty
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 07:31 AM   #2
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

There are 2 schools of thought on this as far as I know.

1 - some shake is common for bmw's as they age, especially the 4 cyl (I personally hated that response)

2 - you may need to replace the spark plugs or check the air/fuel ratios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 07:33 AM   #3
Astone22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post

1 - some shake is common for bmw's as they age, especially the 4 cyl (I personally hated that response)

Thanks for the info! Do you think it's worth taking it to the dealer I still have CPo
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 07:50 AM   #4
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astone22 View Post
Thanks for the info! Do you think it's worth taking it to the dealer I still have CPo
Yes--I had an issue where on cold start, the car seemed like it would stall as soon as I put it in gear. Car was fixed under warranty--but they had it for a couple of weeks since they needed to let the car sit 6-8 hours every time to replicate the issue. They ended up updating the software and installing a new battery under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 09:08 AM   #5
Astone22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Quote:
Yes--I had an issue where on cold start, the car seemed like it would stall as soon as I put it in gear. Car was fixed under warranty--but they had it for a couple of weeks since they needed to let the car sit 6-8 hours every time to replicate the issue. They ended up updating the software and installing a new battery under warranty.
Thanks for the info! I just had a new battery a while back so I am thinking spark plugs or coils!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 11:15 AM   #6
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Some people have had luck with running fuel cleaner and additives too. I am of the mindset that if the car doesn't throw a code thinks it's fine and it only happens on a cold start than it is probably just a momentary electrical reading that shouldn't be worried about. Our engines rely on a computer to determine literally everything and sometimes a sensor might give a wonky reading on a cold start. this would cause the engine to adjust timing and/or air and fuel mixtures which could cause a stumble. I would only start worrying if it was happening on every start or very frequently. My old s4 would give an occasional shudder or uneven idle. Never threw a code, never effected performance and no matter who I showed it to at multiple dealerships and tuning shops they all said the same thing.... "ain't no thang but a chicken wing... nothing to worry about"

44k is a little young for new coil packs although no harm in upgrading, its your money after all. I change plugs every 50k for piece of mind so that might be a good idea. Let us know what you do and if it fixes it!
      10-16-2020, 11:19 AM   #7
Astone22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
Some people have had luck with running fuel cleaner and additives too. I am of the mindset that if the car doesn't throw a code thinks it's fine and it only happens on a cold start than it is probably just a momentary electrical reading that shouldn't be worried about. Our engines rely on a computer to determine literally everything and sometimes a sensor might give a wonky reading on a cold start. this would cause the engine to adjust timing and/or air and fuel mixtures which could cause a stumble. I would only start worrying if it was happening on every start or very frequently. My old s4 would give an occasional shudder or uneven idle. Never threw a code, never effected performance and no matter who I showed it to at multiple dealerships and tuning shops they all said the same thing.... "ain't no thang but a chicken wing... nothing to worry about"

44k is a little young for new coil packs although no harm in upgrading, its your money after all. I change plugs every 50k for piece of mind so that might be a good idea. Let us know what you do and if it fixes it!
Thanks for the insight! I am planing on letting my dealer just take a look at it since I am still under warranty. I just notice it happens after the car sits for multiple days
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2020, 01:47 PM   #8
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

yes - 100% - and report back with what they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 05:42 PM   #9
Astone22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Update got my car back from the dealer. They concluded that the shaking was inspec. They went ahead and did my spark plugs since I had a coupon. Also noticed on my dash cam that they opened my door into another car 🤦*♂️
Appreciate 0