F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F3X Suspension sub-components DIY Series
proTUNING Freaks

08-27-2019, 12:58 PM   #1
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
F3X Suspension sub-components DIY Series

Hey all!

So I will be adding work to this series as it is completed, so expect this to build over time. I also welcome additions on areas I haven't done yet, or don't do ultimately.

I have (as of right now) on my workbench quite a bit of work, in front and rear sway bars, front and rear top shock mount sways and pretty much every possible bushing upgrade from Powerflex.

Obviously there are a million choices for brand, tube size, tube solid or hollow, bushing types, components, and so on, so this isn't intended to say brand X is absolutely the best over brand 123 etc etc.. but to make good function to cost choices, to improve the handling and wear and tear items across my car. Good brands, right price and real improvements are my goals, while doing the work myself.

I will be doing these in a series:
1. Top shock tower strut bars (super easy, going first).
2. Rear sway bar replacement along with subframe bushings. FaRKle! rocks btw. Using his guide as the core of my work. Credit to him for sure!
3. Front sway bar replacement along with control arm bushings.

I am going to reserve sections for each series, and will be posting as soon as I get them done.
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread

Last edited by BMW DIY Guy; 09-04-2019 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
DeeM5527.50
      08-27-2019, 01:00 PM   #2
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Series 1 - shock tower strut bars front and rear.

Series 1

Ok.. so starting with the EXTREMELY easy first, 6 bolts and bang you are done! I decided to go with the rear bar as well, though isn't actually connected to the rear shock towers. KC Design is really passionate that it makes a difference, and the price was very reasonable and might as well while I am shipping the rest anyway.

Appreciate 3
DeeM5527.50
1QuikWS61620.50
      08-27-2019, 01:01 PM   #3
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Series 2 - rear sway bar and full bushings DIY

All right yall.. I have the second video set completed with rear sway bar and bushings! Thank you to FaRKle! for such a great write up a little while ago, and I should have taken him literally on the shock bolt (only).

Any questions please let me know!

I wanted to finish out the rear series with the video DIY for the rear differential bushings. These are a very easy update, and worth it especially with simple tools and quick to do. I highly recommend it, and then will be now moving onto the front.

Last edited by BMW DIY Guy; 09-08-2019 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 3
      08-27-2019, 01:02 PM   #4
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Series 3 - front sway bar and control arm bushings

Ok.. the first of two videos for the front suspension sub-components, and the KC Design front sway bar! All in all easier than the rear, but I suspect that is due to being more comfortable with the process, than being any actually easier.

I will be working on both front control arm bushings asap, and will share that video as well of course.

And finally the front control arm bushing upgrade!!

Hey yall! I am really excited to share not only my latest video, but the updates to my videos themselves! I am happy to debut some new branding and imagery, along with I hope smoother video production as well.

Thanks all and thanks to PowerflexUSA for yet another fantastic product for the BMW F3X's as I close out my suspension upgrade series!

Last edited by BMW DIY Guy; 01-13-2020 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 2
      08-29-2019, 10:37 AM   #5
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Can you speak to the improvements each of these mods make as you install them? Perhaps some driving impressions/reviews on differences with/without? Thanks!
      08-29-2019, 10:42 AM   #6
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
Can you speak to the improvements each of these mods make as you install them? Perhaps some driving impressions/reviews on differences with/without? Thanks!
I will absolutely do the best I can.. some of the changes will be incremental enough it may be hard to determine, but will do my best.
Appreciate 1
jh_f301306.00
      08-29-2019, 12:27 PM   #7
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
I will absolutely do the best I can.. some of the changes will be incremental enough it may be hard to determine, but will do my best.
Looking forward to the results as well. I am particularly curious about this first set of kc shock bars. I always wanted to do real sway bars, but I don't have the time or space to do it myself on my daily driver and the labor involved is pretty outrageous if paying shop rates. I realize these are stiffening the car in different places, and so the effect won't be exactly the same, but if they add even 10 or 20% of the effect of proper sway bars, then it's probably worth doing given how quickly they install.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2019, 12:55 PM   #8
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
Looking forward to the results as well. I am particularly curious about this first set of kc shock bars. I always wanted to do real sway bars, but I don't have the time or space to do it myself on my daily driver and the labor involved is pretty outrageous if paying shop rates. I realize these are stiffening the car in different places, and so the effect won't be exactly the same, but if they add even 10 or 20% of the effect of proper sway bars, then it's probably worth doing given how quickly they install.
The strut bars don't act at all like sway bars. They have no roll control and are only for chassis stiffening.

I felt the front strut bar was well worth it, and you definitely notice the increased rigidity, however the rear bar didn't do anything for me. I suspect that it could potentially do something on cars with no "v-bracing" on the underside, but don't think it's worth it if your car has that. andino and kreuz also have the KC Design front strut bar (we placed a combined order with KC design a little while back).

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 2
johnung4528.00
      08-29-2019, 01:59 PM   #9
Jvac
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
The strut bars don't act at all like sway bars. They have no roll control and are only for chassis stiffening.

I felt the front strut bar was well worth it, and you definitely notice the increased rigidity, however the rear bar didn't do anything for me. I suspect that it could potentially do something on cars with no "v-bracing" on the underside, but don't think it's worth it if your car has that. andino and kreuz also have the KC Design front strut bar (we placed a combined order with KC design a little while back).
No v bracing on my car. Just read about that mod yesterday and was considering since it also seems pretty simple. I guess one or the other would be enough in back, you say?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 03:15 PM   #10
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No v bracing on my car. Just read about that mod yesterday and was considering since it also seems pretty simple. I guess one or the other would be enough in back, you say?
I think the "v-bracing" is more effective. Plus it doesn't hinder access like their rear strut/trunk bar does. With the rear trunk bar I had to add washers and get longer bolts (40-50mm IIRC). It makes getting the floor cover more difficult, but especially difficult if you want to access the rear fuse box since the bar must be removed.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 03:47 PM   #11
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

So does the front strut bar increase handling capabilities?

I looked on their web site and can’t find a price
      08-29-2019, 03:55 PM   #12
Jvac
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I think the "v-bracing" is more effective. Plus it doesn't hinder access like their rear strut/trunk bar does. With the rear trunk bar I had to add washers and get longer bolts (40-50mm IIRC). It makes getting the floor cover more difficult, but especially difficult if you want to access the rear fuse box since the bar must be removed.
Thanks again. Your presence on this forum is a huge help to those of us who are new to suspension modding. I still have a lot to learn in this arena. Read in another thread, but is it true that underbody v brace helps anchor the rear subframe in place any better, or does it attach elsewhere?
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2019, 04:31 PM   #13
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
So does the front strut bar increase handling capabilities?

I looked on their web site and can't find a price
I listed their price in a comment on the video.. yeah, no "cart" functionality sucks but send a comment to them from their page and they will send price plus shipping info
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 06:09 PM   #14
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks again. Your presence on this forum is a huge help to those of us who are new to suspension modding. I still have a lot to learn in this arena. Read in another thread, but is it true that underbody v brace helps anchor the rear subframe in place any better, or does it attach elsewhere?
You can see from this pic where the "v-bracing" (part #18) ties into. It connects the mid-plate to the subframe. Part #4 is connected to the subframe by the main subframe bolt. The two other holes in part #4 attach to the body. I wouldn't say the "v-bracing" anchors the subframe any better, but does add rigidity to the body.

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 07:27 PM   #15
Jvac
Captain
Rep

Subframe now attached to chassis in another place via the v brace, but still wobbling around with those squishy bushings in between just as before.
So is it really beneficial to keep stiffening the chassis while the suspension remains soft, thus widening the gap between the two even further? Assuming no additional suspension mods are made, that is.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 11:51 PM   #16
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
You can see from this pic where the "v-bracing" (part #18) ties into. It connects the mid-plate to the subframe. Part #4 is connected to the subframe by the main subframe bolt. The two other holes in part #4 attach to the body. I wouldn't say the "v-bracing" anchors the subframe any better, but does add rigidity to the body.
KC Design also has that same "torsion strut" but has a cross bar closing the V as well. Not sure how much difference that will add, but noticed that too. My F32 has that V torsion strut as is.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 11:53 PM   #17
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
I am also intrigued by KC Designs lower bracing bars, front and rear that connect the back rear subframe mounts, and back front subframe mounts. I havent seen any offerings like that anywhere else so far.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 03:49 AM   #18
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Strut bar looks really close to your nicely painted engine cover - you not worried that it will eventually rub the paint off from wear as the engine torques over?

I know my Turner MS SB affords much more clearance in that area...

Are you planning on installing their Front Member Strut Bar? Interested to see if that yields any noticeable improvement/feel

As always - excellent video

I did also notice that when you installed the Rear Bar you stated the Cargo Loops/Covers could not be re-installed. Yet, when I look at the KC site with pics of the bar installed - the Cargo Loops are back on?

Me thinks you may have to turn them 180 deg from original position for them to fit?

F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 09-04-2019 at 04:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2019, 09:14 AM   #19
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Strut bar looks really close to your nicely painted engine cover - you not worried that it will eventually rub the paint off from wear as the engine torques over?

Are you planning on installing their Front Member Strut Bar? Interested to see if that yields any noticeable improvement/feel

I did also notice that when you installed the Rear Bar you stated the Cargo Loops/Covers could not be re-installed. Yet, when I look at the KC site with pics of the bar installed - the Cargo Loops are back on?

Me thinks you may have to turn them 180 deg from original position for them to fit?

Thanks man! I am very interested in the lower bars as well, as not really seen anyone else offer those before, so (for me) unclear of the difference they can make.

Painted cover.. yeah.. will keep an eye on that for sure.

GREAT feedback on the covers on the rear bar, gonna go check that right now!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 09:23 AM   #20
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post

Hahahaha.. absolutely right, fixed in like 10 seconds. Well done man, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 10:41 AM   #21
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
I am also intrigued by KC Designs lower bracing bars, front and rear that connect the back rear subframe mounts, and back front subframe mounts. I havent seen any offerings like that anywhere else so far.
The 2-point bars don't look worth it to me. Those bars that connect the subframe sides assume that the subframe itself isn't rigid enough. That's money better spent elsewhere IMO.

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 10:47 AM   #22
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
The 2-point bars don't look worth it to me. Those bars that connect the subframe sides assume that the subframe itself isn't rigid enough. That's money better spent elsewhere IMO.
What do you think of the torsion brace (V brace) with the cross bar?
Appreciate 0