F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > ISTA+ not connecting after Win11 upgrade (E-sys works)
GetBMWParts

04-10-2023, 05:54 PM   #1
DLucian
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 335i N55 | F20 125I B48

ISTA+ not connecting after Win11 upgrade (E-sys works)

Greetings everyone,

After working with a 4.15 version of ista for years on my windows 10 laptop, with E series K+DCAN cable and F series ENET cable, I am no longer able to connect to any F series vehicles.

It al started after (probably, but can not confirm it's the actual reason) I was forced to upgrade to Windows 11 because I had some issues with other software. After this, ISTA is simply not connecting to any F series cars using the ENET cable (tried multiple cars).

Checked the IP from network settings, tried with edbias settings but nothing works. Wierdly, E-SYS runs great and always connects to the car, no matter what network settings I use (static IP or automatic).

Looked into the issue, found no clear cause, just lots of other people who reinstalled ISTA and it worked for them. So, I upgraded to ista 4.32 and tried again.

First time connecting to the car using local area connection (later found it was set to automatic IP), and it found the ENET cable hooked to my F31. Joy oh joys, clicked on it and was greeted to an endless waiting time for identifying the vehicle. Stopped the program, started again and I was back where I started. It would not, for the life of it, find my ENET cable. Again, tried the manual IP (169.254.1.1) and nothing. Configured the edibas file, used edibas setting and get no connection error. It seemed like it only sort of worked once after reinstalling ISTA and now, nothing is happening again.

Again, E-sys runs perfectly and always connects to the car. E-series cars work great with K+DCAN cable (and the reconfigured edibas file).

I believe some idiotic windows setting is preventing ista from finding my ENET cable but I have no idea what it can be. Found someone saying something about APIPA settings but I have no idea what these are but will try doing some reset commends that I found. Maybe this helps but I doubt it.

Can anyone suggest anything regarding this, please? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 09:02 PM   #2
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

make sure windows firewall and anti-virus are disabled.

also, you can use the kdcan cable for f series within ista. obviously, no programming within ista with this cable but for a workaround, use kdcan cable on f series.

worse comes worse, fully delete ista and clear registry then try to re-install.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 01:29 AM   #3
DLucian
Private
Rep

Thanks for the reply. I had no idea you can use the K + DCAN cable for F series. Will give this a try since I need this urgently today.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 06:41 AM   #4
coazz94
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

I have exactly the same problem, no matter what i do i dont get the car to show in ISTA.
I ordered now a new cable, to see if this is the problem..

If you find a solution, please let me know !
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 09:43 AM   #5
Siki78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30,G30

See in windows if net 3.5 is on and install all visual c++. If you need help I can see quickly over teamviewer
      02-17-2024, 07:52 AM   #6
DLucian
Private
Rep

So, If anyone else stumbles upon this topic again, just to let everyone know that 1 year later, the issue is still not fixed. I am still unable to use ISTA on this idiotic windows 11 laptop that I used to work with.

Any (new) thoughts from anyone? Disabling the antivirus did nothing. Also, net 3.5 is on in Windows Features.

Later edit: Also installed Visual C++ for x86 and got nothing. Tried connecting to an F11 today and discovered that E-sys is no longer connecting as well. Yesterday tried connecting to an F series M2 and managed to use E-sys but not ISTA. This feels like it's getting worse.

Last edited by DLucian; 02-17-2024 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: Added more details.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 08:32 AM   #7
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

i don’t think ISTA 4.15 is compatible with W11 from the sounds of it as 4.15 came out in 2018 & W11 was a cpl yrs later.

I’d try a newer version of ISTA+ and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 08:08 AM   #8
DLucian
Private
Rep

Thanks for your input, but this is referring to ISTA 4.32 as I said in the original post.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 11:48 AM   #9
Monty42
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 328 d Xdeive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLucian View Post
Greetings everyone,

After working with a 4.15 version of ista for years on my windows 10 laptop, with E series K+DCAN cable and F series ENET cable, I am no longer able to connect to any F series vehicles.

It al started after (probably, but can not confirm it's the actual reason) I was forced to upgrade to Windows 11 because I had some issues with other software. After this, ISTA is simply not connecting to any F series cars using the ENET cable (tried multiple cars).

Checked the IP from network settings, tried with edbias settings but nothing works. Wierdly, E-SYS runs great and always connects to the car, no matter what network settings I use (static IP or automatic).

Looked into the issue, found no clear cause, just lots of other people who reinstalled ISTA and it worked for them. So, I upgraded to ista 4.32 and tried again.

First time connecting to the car using local area connection (later found it was set to automatic IP), and it found the ENET cable hooked to my F31. Joy oh joys, clicked on it and was greeted to an endless waiting time for identifying the vehicle. Stopped the program, started again and I was back where I started. It would not, for the life of it, find my ENET cable. Again, tried the manual IP (169.254.1.1) and nothing. Configured the edibas file, used edibas setting and get no connection error. It seemed like it only sort of worked once after reinstalling ISTA and now, nothing is happening again.

Again, E-sys runs perfectly and always connects to the car. E-series cars work great with K+DCAN cable (and the reconfigured edibas file).

I believe some idiotic windows setting is preventing ista from finding my ENET cable but I have no idea what it can be. Found someone saying something about APIPA settings but I have no idea what these are but will try doing some reset commends that I found. Maybe this helps but I doubt it.

Can anyone suggest anything regarding this, please? Thanks!
The check engine light came on on my 2014 328d Xdrive. It is intermittent. I connected ISTA +. I cannot connect with the ethernet cable. Connection manager is greyed out.

After two days of reading and serching the internet I have not found a solution

I trued using ediabas withthe ethernet cable. It does not recognize the car.

I have not upgraded Windows 10 since the last time I used ISTA +.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 02:22 PM   #10
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I don't have Windows 11, so this may not apply, but...back when I went from Windows 7 to Windows 8 some programs would not work unless I ran them in Windows 7 compatibility mode, which was an option that W8 had. It's worth a shot. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-54eea0f45938
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 02:52 PM   #11
Siki78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30,G30

Ista 4.32.15 is working with windows 11 there must be user error some wrong config or missing prerequisites
      03-08-2024, 08:19 AM   #12
SimonBMW1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Series

I had this on Windows 10. Added all apps to the windows firewall exceptions and it works. Also added the Edibios or whatever its called. AVG antivirus was saying ISTA was a virus too.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 03:56 PM   #13
///Magic Bus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3C G80 XDrive

I struggled for many weeks before I accidentally figured out why I couldn't connect to my G80 M3 with ISTA+
I finally discovered an IP addressing conflict between ISTA+/BMW and Oracle Virtual Box (which is installed on my laptop): both used the same IP address range.
I just had to disable the network connections created by Virtual Box for ISTA to work immediately.
Maybe this can help
Appreciate 0