F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Cool Carbon S/T Plus Brake Pads
Extreme Powerhouse

11-08-2018, 10:30 AM   #1
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

Cool Carbon S/T Plus Brake Pads

Has anyone run the Cool Carbon S/T Plus pads for street and occasional track day use? They are on sale on Turner Motorsports website.

http://www.coolcarbonperformance.com...ionsBPlus.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/m-8...82018_25368_RM

Flash Sale - Up to 20% OFF Cool Carbon Brake Pads
Sale Ends 11.14.18 at 11:59 PM (EST)

Cool Carbon S/T Plus Compound has the GG rating and higher friction level than the original S/T pads. Developed to fill the gap between entry-level performance and competition pads, these brake pads offer better stopping power and torque without sacrificing street drivability.

The S/T Plus Compound features a new formulation with Twaron aramid content in the composite, providing greater thermal stability and better durability than comparable pads. This compound was developed in a dedicated manufacturing facility using a proprietary process of unique curing and triple scorching for a shorter bedding time.
With a better bite and greater linear stability, these longer-lived pads offer lower noise and brake dust over other high-performance alternatives and are designed to perform even with street tires.

With stability in temperatures exceeding 600C, Cool Carbon S/T Plus Compound pads are perfect for canyon carving, spirited driving, or light to medium track use! Use these front pads with original S/T rear pads for the optimal balance.

Street Performance/Track Tuned (S/T) pads from Cool Carbon feature a substantially higher friction level over the OE pads. Better stopping power and torque with stability in cold or hot temperatures exceeding 450C is easy thanks to the special “hollow” ceramic structure of the pads, which exponentially increases the ability to dispel heat.

Minimal noise under normal driving conditions come from the constrained layer noise shims featured with these pads, and the better feel under your brake pedal means more feedback and control during standard or spirited driving, giving you the sure-footed confidence required to enjoy your performance car. With long life, excellent fade resistance, and a low dust level, Cool Carbon S/T pads are fantastic for your European performance car.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 11:38 AM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I previously used Akebono Ceramic pads on my E92 for low dusting properties - they were excellent

Went to buy them for my F32 with 5k miles on the OEM pads/rotors (Brembo frt/Bosch rear calipers) & they do not make the full set for my application, so I went with the CoolCarbons - installed new rotors at same time as I wanted crossdrilled/slotted

IMO they suck

No initial bite at all, had to apply much more force to get the car stop & braking distance increased - none of these were issues with my OEM pads

Then, on top of that they started making a noise upon light application on one side only and a loud groaning noise when applying brakes in reverse. There was never a noise with the OEM pads.

Checked the hardware/pad lubrication, it was good but cleaned & re-lubed anyway - no change in noise

Finally got disgusted & changed out my entire braking system to M4 blue Brembos all round with yet another set of new crossdrilled/slotted rotors (as the rotor size changed to 370mm/345mm) & went with the Porterfield R4-S pads that I had heard so many good things about

Braking with the Porterfield pads (Kevlar Ceramic) is more in line with the OEM pad feel as far as initial bite (friction level up to .41), braking distance impressive with minimal amount of pedal effort, & most importantly - NO NOISE + they have lower dusting than the OEM pads

The Porterfield pads are way more $$ than CoolCarbons - but it was $$ well spent. I wouldn't' put the CC pads on a bicycle...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 1
JaredG_F301106.00
      11-08-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

Phew...dodged a bullet there. Thanks for the review!!

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 1
1QuikWS61620.50
      11-08-2018, 03:31 PM   #4
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Same here, I am not pleased with my cool carbon pads... Requires way more pedal pressure for some reason, and they dust as bad as stock.
Appreciate 1
1QuikWS61620.50
      11-08-2018, 03:54 PM   #5
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
Phew...dodged a bullet there. Thanks for the review!!
Yup, that was my impression - I'm sure they'll be others chime in that state they love em'

All a matter of opinion
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 05:20 PM   #6
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
I previously used Akebono Ceramic pads on my E92 for low dusting properties - they were excellent

Went to buy them for my F32 with 5k miles on the OEM pads/rotors (Brembo frt/Bosch rear calipers) & they do not make the full set for my application, so I went with the CoolCarbons - installed new rotors at same time as I wanted crossdrilled/slotted

IMO they suck

No initial bite at all, had to apply much more force to get the car stop & braking distance increased - none of these were issues with my OEM pads

Then, on top of that they started making a noise upon light application on one side only and a loud groaning noise when applying brakes in reverse. There was never a noise with the OEM pads.

Checked the hardware/pad lubrication, it was good but cleaned & re-lubed anyway - no change in noise

Finally got disgusted & changed out my entire braking system to M4 blue Brembos all round with yet another set of new crossdrilled/slotted rotors (as the rotor size changed to 370mm/345mm) & went with the Porterfield R4-S pads that I had heard so many good things about

Braking with the Porterfield pads (Kevlar Ceramic) is more in line with the OEM pad feel as far as initial bite (friction level up to .41), braking distance impressive with minimal amount of pedal effort, & most importantly - NO NOISE + they have lower dusting than the OEM pads

The Porterfield pads are way more $$ than CoolCarbons - but it was $$ well spent. I wouldn't' put the CC pads on a bicycle...

super nice observations. where did you get the Porterfield pads and pd you know if fitting M Performance callipers? have been testing for months now a custom designed 3d strand woven carbon ceramic rotor set and after superlative results with pagid rs i now need to check the ceramic ceramic.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 08:05 PM   #7
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Another cool carbon user here, pretty disappointed in them as well.
Interior: Bavsound stage 1 and subs - custom trunk sub by Mike1327
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 11:01 PM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

For daily driving, the initial bite is quite important and Cool Carbon brake pads provide less initial bite than OEM brake pads due to the compound being used.

In addition, Cool Carbon brake pads require a specific bedding process.

http://www.coolcarbonperformance.com/bedding.html

For example, if ABS is activated during bedding "this may result in a non-uniform transfer of friction material to the rotor surface and a reduction in braking smoothness. The rotor surface may require attention if this occurs".

The above is quite common with Cool Carbon brake pads.

My perspective on ideal brake pads for daily driving: great initial bite with no noise and dust being the inadvertent result of a softer compound.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 03:12 AM   #9
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
super nice observations. where did you get the Porterfield pads and pd you know if fitting M Performance callipers? have been testing for months now a custom designed 3d strand woven carbon ceramic rotor set and after superlative results with pagid rs i now need to check the ceramic ceramic.
https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/P...field%20Brakes

Yes, they make them for M Perf Calipers. I have the 4-piston Brembo fronts/2 piston Brembo Rears with 370/345 rotors

The Porterfield are NOT ceramic pads though...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 11:15 AM   #10
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Not a fan of Cool Carbon. I ran them on my M3. On track, they overheated quickly and melted into chunks that coated the rotors and wheels. On the street, it is as others have said, less bite than stock and some noise.

It's just not a good pad for street or track use... the only good thing I can say is that it does handle heat a little better than stock pads but not nearly enough to get you through a track day.
      04-10-2019, 12:07 PM   #11
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

FWIW, you might want to consider Pagid pads.

I'm running Pagid RS4-2 in the fronts (Stoptech Trophy BBK; 380mm dia; 6 piston calipers) and Pagid Yellow RSL1 in the rears (stock OEM; single piston floating calipers; Stoptech slotted discs) and they are proving to be superb for road use and also on track. I spent a day on track at Spa (Belgium) recently, which has some big braking zones, and they didn't fade at all.

There is some squeal at low speeds and with light braking, and they generate at least as much dust as OEM, but these are not big issues for me. They bite well from cold, the braking performance is excellent, and they seem very disc-friendly. Quite expensive though.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0