F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > strange whine while accelerating
ARMA SPEED

12-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #1
pepper77
Poland
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

strange whine while accelerating

At first I'd like to say 'hi' to all users here I'm new member

I'm the owner of F30 328i from 2012 N20 engine and I have a question. I noticed a few weeks ago a strange whine while accelerating, doesn't matter if on idle or running. Two BMW mechanics in my area said it is NOT a timing chain (so far) and they dont hear anything disturbing (maybe because I have my engine warmed up where the noise is slightly less noticeable)
I recorderd a few videos

Cold start from outside

Right after cold start, doors open, hood open

engine walkaround, without gas accelerating

engine walkaround, then I put my phone on the right corner near the engine

Phone on tripod, various angles
one
two
Engine warmed up a little, on 0:45 i turn off and on the blower, you can see a slight rpm increase/decrease - is it normal?
video

In my opinion the noise comes from alternator, its faulty bearing or something, but I don't know much about mechanics and this opinion is based on similar YT vids only. Here I have a few, very similar
video1
video2
video3
video4
video5

Additionally, First noises I heard this summer and turning off the blower helped, now I hear it with the blower on and off, could it be alternator that worked under load then? And now it is even more 'broken' ?

can you advise anything? Thanks in advance

Last edited by pepper77; 12-19-2017 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 01:44 PM   #2
JOHNSPEED
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 e92

I'm no mechanic, but sounds about normal to me?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 07:24 PM   #3
D041987
Big Turbo Boys N Girls
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328I 6speed

I am def having the same issue as you. Along with my Tranny going south as well. Fucking POS car BMW made that's for sure. Never in my life have I had so many issues and annoyances of parts failing before 60K!

But I think this is Alternator related or oil pump related. I am going to do some more investigation and see where the noise is coming from this weekend. If it lower engine by the oil pan than its oil pump an chain. If its more in the front and top of the engine it can be the Chain guide, alternator, belts, and pulleys.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 07:25 PM   #4
Domotron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328xi M-Sport

might be a dumb question but did this start right when temperature went down ?
      12-22-2017, 07:00 AM   #5
pepper77
Poland
Rep

yesterday I went shopping and I noticed that after engine warmed up and when I turned OFF fan blower (doesnt matter if a/c is on or off) the noise went away

When again turned ON the blower it appeared, in addition I heard some odd sound like grinding the sand after release the gas completely, I don't know how to explain that sound ;p

So I turned off air fan blower and ride a little without it and besides the bigger and bigger steam on my windshield since no warm air, I didnt hear anything disturbing.

I've seen some vids recently on YT that such a behaviour can be caused by alternator bearing or compressor bearing (pulleys)

But that sound is present on cold engine with blower on/off
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 12:24 PM   #6
D041987
Big Turbo Boys N Girls
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328I 6speed

No mine is constant and no change when fan or ac are on. It's def gear related for me. For you I would drop the cabin filter on the passenger side and see fi you have any debris/ leafs in the fan. Clean it out and also open the hood and clean the air dams that go into the blower. They sometimes get clogged and catch on the blower fan and make noises if debris are stuck in there.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2018, 10:54 AM   #7
4xdrift
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Check your timing chain and guides. Look down through the oil fill.

https://bmwtechnician.com/2016/08/07...g-chain-issue/
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 01:43 AM   #8
pepper77
Poland
Rep

it is not a timing chain issue related
Went to my local mechanic he loosened all belts and the noise was still there so apparently it not related to alternator and ac compressor
In other local forum in my country a few people also have similar issue, and many of them still after replacing the chain.

here example after replacing the chain

can you hear that odd vacuum like sound when accelerating?

here is more noticeable, after replacing the chain as well

What should I do? Where start to look? Or maybe it is a normal sound of cold n20 but I highly, really highly doubt it. I dont remember having those noises last year...

the most bizzare thing, that sound vanishes after driving 1-2km, when the engine warms up a little. Sometimes does not disappear completely and i can hear it in my quiet garage while accelerating a bit on idle but when turn off completely vents, it goes away How it can be related?
In addition turning on vents on cold does not help, the engine must warm up a little.

I added some coolant since it was 2mm below minimum, (added about 250ml) and did pump bleeding, didnt make any difference.

It is even hard to show any mechanic since when I reach any dealer the engine warms up and I come back with nothing

Once in january I was so pissed at that noise that below -15C I wait inside my car for an hour in front of my dealer to cool down the engine and waiting for open he got the sound, thought it was alternator but after removing belts... ech dint find the cause

Now I wait for better weather, about 10+ at night and if it's still there, I will start to look for really badass tech - the distance will be not an issue.

In the meantime I will check my ac, add gas if needed, look at installation (last year they added gas with a dye so any leaks will be visible), will see...

I don't want to beg but, please help
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 08:02 AM   #9
Abusina15
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i BMW

pepper77

How much did it cost to replace chain?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 01:14 AM   #10
kobluna
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320i

Sorry to bumb rather old thread but I don't find a need to create a new thread because my problem is similar(-ish) anyway. My car is 320i 2014 (June production).

Did you ever find a reason for your problem? I got similar noise but for me it's audible even if oil is 90C or more. Even the dealer heard the sound but he didn't know any reason for it. He just said that it does not sound bad or dangerous and the car is safe to drive. I heard the sound when I had 90.000km on clock and now I have 123.000 so maybe it is not dangerous, I don't know.

However, yesterday I heard some new noise and it is still there today so it wasn't just some random noise. It is more high pitched than the sound OP (and I) has but it is only audible when the gas is applied. No need to actually accelerate but fuel need to flow i.e. gas pedal must be depressed. The whine disappears the moment I lift off the gas pedal and comes back immediately when I apply the gas again. It is more audible when in sport so RPMs is around 2000-2500.

First I thought it was turbo but now I doubt that because it is making the noise even at very light gas. Could it be that I got some carbon on my vents and that makes a noise? That would explain why the sound disappers when gas is lifted off. I would think that if my chain is defective it would whine even if gas is not applied?

The car was serviced just moment ago 10th of July and at that time I got 121.000km on the clock. It was bigger service so all the filters, spark plugs and oil was changed. Also some inspection was made. Nothing was found during that inspection.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 08:51 AM   #11
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobluna View Post
Sorry to bumb rather old thread but I don't find a need to create a new thread because my problem is similar(-ish) anyway. My car is 320i 2014 (June production).

Did you ever find a reason for your problem? I got similar noise but for me it's audible even if oil is 90C or more. Even the dealer heard the sound but he didn't know any reason for it. He just said that it does not sound bad or dangerous and the car is safe to drive. I heard the sound when I had 90.000km on clock and now I have 123.000 so maybe it is not dangerous, I don't know.

However, yesterday I heard some new noise and it is still there today so it wasn't just some random noise. It is more high pitched than the sound OP (and I) has but it is only audible when the gas is applied. No need to actually accelerate but fuel need to flow i.e. gas pedal must be depressed. The whine disappears the moment I lift off the gas pedal and comes back immediately when I apply the gas again. It is more audible when in sport so RPMs is around 2000-2500.

First I thought it was turbo but now I doubt that because it is making the noise even at very light gas. Could it be that I got some carbon on my vents and that makes a noise? That would explain why the sound disappers when gas is lifted off. I would think that if my chain is defective it would whine even if gas is not applied?

The car was serviced just moment ago 10th of July and at that time I got 121.000km on the clock. It was bigger service so all the filters, spark plugs and oil was changed. Also some inspection was made. Nothing was found during that inspection.
For the timing chain, I'm not entirely sure if it goes away when lifting off the pedal, but depressing the pedal is needed in order to get the whine to come out. I would honestly have them check it if you're under warranty.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 10:10 AM   #12
jamesf30n20
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i

If you are only getting a high pitched whine when acclerating and it’s more pronounced with your ac turned on theirs a chance it could be your accessory belt wearing out, they don’t visually show signs of wear but I’ve had a wine with my car before and ignored it the ones day doing a pull my belt snapped, after replacing it the whine was gone.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 06:09 AM   #13
kobluna
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesf30n20 View Post
If you are only getting a high pitched whine when acclerating and it’s more pronounced with your ac turned on theirs a chance it could be your accessory belt wearing out, they don’t visually show signs of wear but I’ve had a wine with my car before and ignored it the ones day doing a pull my belt snapped, after replacing it the whine was gone.
I don't know if the sound is more pronounced when AC turned on but of course it's easier to hear any sound if blower is off. Anyway it might be it, I'll have to keep an eye (or ear ) on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
For the timing chain, I'm not entirely sure if it goes away when lifting off the pedal, but depressing the pedal is needed in order to get the whine to come out. I would honestly have them check it if you're under warranty.
Unfortunately here in Finland we only have two year warranty. However, we do get goodwill from BMW or from distributor pretty easily if all of the services are done properly (which are in my case). But for my understanding, timing chain would make a very loud whining which is easy to hear. The whining I hear is pretty subtle and I didn't even get it to hear on video. So I guess I'll just continue driving and keep checking if any other symptoms occurs.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 02:19 AM   #14
danielkel
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper77 View Post
At first I'd like to say 'hi' to all users here I'm new member

I'm the owner of F30 328i from 2012 N20 engine and I have a question. I noticed a few weeks ago a strange whine while accelerating, doesn't matter if on idle or running. Two BMW mechanics in my area said it is NOT a timing chain (so far) and they dont hear anything disturbing (maybe because I have my engine warmed up where the noise is slightly less noticeable)
I recorderd a few videos

Cold start from outside

Right after cold start, doors open, hood open

engine walkaround, without gas accelerating

engine walkaround, then I put my phone on the right corner near the engine

Phone on tripod, various angles
one
two
Engine warmed up a little, on 0:45 i turn off and on the blower, you can see a slight rpm increase/decrease - is it normal?
video

In my opinion the noise comes from alternator, its faulty bearing or something, but I don't know much about mechanics and this opinion is based on similar YT vids only. Here I have a few, very similar
video1
video2
video3
video4
video5

Additionally, First noises I heard this summer and turning off the blower helped, now I hear it with the blower on and off, could it be alternator that worked under load then? And now it is even more 'broken' ?

can you advise anything? Thanks in advance
The noise is coming from the oil pump. I have exactly the same noise when the engine is cold and goes almost completely away when the engine is warm. When you put your ear on the oil sump (near the flywheel side) than you can hear it more clearly.

The BMW dealer said this is a normal noise. What I don't get is that some N20 have a louder oil pump then others.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 10:49 PM   #15
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielkel View Post
The noise is coming from the oil pump. I have exactly the same noise when the engine is cold and goes almost completely away when the engine is warm. When you put your ear on the oil sump (near the flywheel side) than you can hear it more clearly.

The BMW dealer said this is a normal noise. What I don't get is that some N20 have a louder oil pump then others.
I am also getting the same noise, Goes away when warm and sounds like a bad alternator / AC compressor bearing. I have a brand new belt / tension and im at 88k miles on my 2013 328i.. It seems to go away when warmed up and revving the motor doesnt make any of those noises the bad chain vidoes have, Once warm the motor sounds normal and healthy..

Are you guys saying its just normal over time for some N20's to sound like this? Car runs flawless and my INDY said car appears to be fine.

Glad to see im not the only one that started noticing this noise.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 06:09 PM   #16
danielkel
Rep

Same noise: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6#post21203986
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 07:19 AM   #17
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Im not gonna lie these little noises and annoyances are quite annoying when my buddy at work parks his 2012 WRX next to my car which is also a 2.0t TwinScroll Turbo etc etc with direct injection and his motor sounds super smooth and quite and also my 1992 SR20DET Turbo 2.0 Sentra in the garage also sounds smooth as can be and its over 25 years old. ... Not apples to apples on my old car but the WRX is pretty much the same technology and doesnt sound like a diesel and make all these funky noises benign or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 08:46 AM   #18
danielkel
Rep

Before the BMW dealer replaced the timing and oil pump chain the car sounded like this when cold:
https://youtu.be/uD-y1-P_rVk

You can hear the buzzing noise coming from the oil pump when the engine is cold. Also you can hear (but harder to hear) the higher pitched whining noise from the oil pump chain.

When the engine is warm the buzzing noise is almost gone. But the higher pitched whining noise from the oil pump chain was still there. You can hear it more clearly in this video:
https://youtu.be/9J9eYtaXlKY

After they replaced the timing and oil pump chain the noise you hear in the second video is gone. The lower pitched buzzing noise from the oil pump in the first video is still there.

Last edited by danielkel; 08-29-2018 at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
loggin14.50
      09-10-2018, 02:47 PM   #19
mattwong92
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sedan

Quote:
Before the BMW dealer replaced the timing and oil pump chain the car sounded like this when cold:
https://youtu.be/uD-y1-P_rVk

You can hear the buzzing noise coming from the oil pump when the engine is cold. Also you can hear (but harder to hear) the higher pitched whining noise from the oil pump chain.

When the engine is warm the buzzing noise is almost gone. But the higher pitched whining noise from the oil pump chain was still there. You can hear it more clearly in this video:
https://youtu.be/9J9eYtaXlKY

After they replaced the timing and oil pump chain the noise you hear in the second video is gone. The lower pitched buzzing noise from the oil pump in the first video is still there.
Just curious did you get the dealer to replace the chain under warranty or out of pocket? And if out of warranty how did you prove to them the chain needed replacing?

I am convinced my chain is elongated and my dealer refuses to do anything.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 08:25 PM   #20
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwong92 View Post
Just curious did you get the dealer to replace the chain under warranty or out of pocket? And if out of warranty how did you prove to them the chain needed replacing?

Thanks!
Why do I get the feeling dealers are all about refusing to do stuff until you either break your back to prove it or make enough of a stink... This is why at times they get a bad name.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 09:56 AM   #21
danielkel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwong92 View Post

Thanks!
The oil pump chain and timing chain where replaced under CPO warranty. The dealer confirmed to me the early N20's are known for this problem. Just remove the drive belt and if you still hear the noise its probably one of the chains.
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2018, 03:03 AM   #22
MikeBene
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 328i N26

Has anyone found the reason for this whining sound in the engine? In my F30 328i N26 there is exactly the same whining sound noticeable as in pepper77's car. My mileage is only 5500km. BMW service told me that it is not a problem with the chain or with the oil pump. They also checked the alternator and the ac compressor and they are OK. Any advise?
Appreciate 0