F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Is Comfort Access less secure ?
ARMA SPEED

04-04-2018, 11:16 AM   #23
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstein View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Signal extenders, available on eBay. They place it near your front door, hoping that the key (which is always transmitting) is in range. If it is (and it will be if it's stuck in the lock on the other side) it boosts the signal so the car picks it up and assumes you're nearby with the key, as a legitimate owner. Open the door and voila.

Utterly pointless extra, not just because it adds a vulnerability that isn't there otherwise. It's a solution to a problem we didn't even know we had.
Invest a few quid in one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076F766...395841_TE_dp_1

And keep the keys in it.
Hmmm, so you add the convenience of not having to press the keyfob to unlock car, but you add the inconvenience of having to put your keys in a pouch every time you get home, i'm not sure it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 11:27 AM   #24
Torque of the Devil
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe

It really is no hardship to press lock/unlock on the keyfob and I'd rather press lock on my keyfob than have to be pressing on the door handle to lock the car, utterly pointless option, given the increased security risks I wouldn't even want it as an option if it was free.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 11:37 AM   #25
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

This is from local police last month (theft in Feb)

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...evice-14378480

It shows how simple and quick it is.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 11:55 AM   #26
ep22jg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

I’m in two minds over this!
I can’t argue against all the evidence of the potential increased security risk ...... But ...

As already stated, most options and in fact the BMW its self are not essential. We all have our reasons for buying the car and selected options!

My car doesn’t have it, but parents car does. Only a couple of times, the ‘kick’ to open the boot has been really useful. Worth the cost ....... ??

Having had a car stolen by taking the keys from my house, I initially decided not to have a decent car again. I then decided that I wouldn’t let the scum of this world dictate what I owned! I feel the same about CA.

Incidentally, the new X3 works on all doors, so I guess it will follow on all models.

As I said at the beginning of this ramble, I’m still not sure if I’d spec it, but I wouldn’t reject a car for having it!
      04-04-2018, 12:13 PM   #27
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep22jg View Post
Incidentally, the new X3 works on all doors, so I guess it will follow on all models.

As I said at the beginning of this ramble, I’m still not sure if I’d spec it, but I wouldn’t reject a car for having it!
5-series and upwards have it on all doors, my F11 on the tailgate (both sections) as well.

Not sure I'd option CA on a new car, but as mine had it fitted, is a useful extra.
Appreciate 1
ep22jg233.50
      04-04-2018, 12:27 PM   #28
vtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

I quite like the CA option. Probably wouldn't have bought this CPO car if it didn't have it. That said, I park inside a locked garage at home. And car theft doesn't seem to be a major issue where I live. I primarily hear about stolen cars when the owner has left the keys IN the vehicle.

It's a low enough risk that the convenience is worth it to me. I never have to fumble for my keys and if my hands are full, a quick kick at the trunk (boot) and she pops open.

When my wife was looking at new cars she didn't think she needed it and she said it was useless like some posters above. The car she ultimately chose had it as part of a package that we wanted. She now says it one of her favorite features!
Appreciate 1
Pequin230.00
      04-04-2018, 01:33 PM   #29
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible View Post
Comfort Access. Theives can take your car without having the keys or entering your house.
Here is how it works...
Even more of a driver for getting it then. If a scum bag wants to nick my car I'd much rather they don't come into the house to get the keys thanks. Plus once they have driven away they can't start it again.

I don't keep my keys in a pouch but they are not near a wall anyway plus I have gap insurance.

I do find it very useful and have done for years pre bmw as well.
Appreciate 2
dizzy619446.50
Pequin230.00
      04-04-2018, 01:55 PM   #30
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

I intentionally spec’d it on my car... part of the comfort pack (with storage pack)

Do i regret it, no if my car is stolen on the drive prob would.

Same could be said for my adaptive suspension.... dont regret spec’ing it... if it goes wrong out of warranty prob would.
Appreciate 1
dizzy619446.50
      04-04-2018, 03:59 PM   #31
ZeroFx
Major
Rep
Drives: M4x

its the worst idea ever.

if i could be bothered or remember id leave my keys somewhere smarter..

but alas... i cba
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 06:12 PM   #32
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Like most on here I had always thought it to be an utter pointless waste of time.

But my new Merc has it and I actually quite like it! Very convenient to open/close the powered boot with a kick as well as open/close the doors with a simple touch, works really well.

But here's the useful bit. When it's parked up outside your house and the most vulnerable, you can DISABLE comfort access by double pressing the lock button on the fob. The indicators flash 4 times to show its disabled. Brilliant feature on the Merc.

Of course some will say why bother having it if you are going to disable it, but it's useful for any other time you are out and about with your car. It's only really at home where the key could be near the car that you'd want to disable it.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
robwils759.00
      04-04-2018, 06:49 PM   #33
Manivxr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d EB

It makes it more convenient for you to open your car doors. It makes it more convenient for thiefs to open your car doors. Simples.

With other threads on the forum talking about how to make life more difficult for thiefs with deterrents. All i can say is don't pay to make your car more vulnerable to theft .
Appreciate 1
JD64215.00
      04-04-2018, 08:03 PM   #34
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorphlack View Post
This is one option I had rejected to everyone who ask me to do it. Security reason is most important.
Simon, if it's factory-fitted, can it be coded to be inactive? So you have to press the button?
If so, could you share what needs to be changed?

Cheers in advance...
      04-05-2018, 02:43 AM   #35
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

You can't draw any conclusions until you see all the figures.
Fact is more cars are stolen without CA than with.
People also bang on about their car not being stolen with Autowatch ghost fitted. Well, I have CA and my car is still outside. Yup exactly, stats are fabulous.

CA may add a level of vulnerability but key loggers have been around for years and are more common. I think it's a bit potluck if your car does get targeted and that's where insurance comes in. Inconvenient may be but life's a bi*ch sometimes.

As for CA as an option. I have it on 2 cars and would not be without it.
Appreciate 1
Pequin230.00
      04-05-2018, 03:06 AM   #36
Ti Rich
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S D

What gets me is how many people have garages but never use them. I must be the only person on our estate of 300 houses who actually puts their cars into a locked, alarmed garage at night.

PS..the keys still go into a Faraday bag as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 04:26 AM   #37
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Rich View Post
What gets me is how many people have garages but never use them. I must be the only person on our estate of 300 houses who actually puts their cars into a locked, alarmed garage at night.

PS..the keys still go into a Faraday bag as well.
We always garage our cars too. When we lived in London, we parked on the street and had quite a few problems with minor vandalism, including one where we caught the scrote and he paid a high price in more ways than one

After that experience, even though we now live in a safe rural area, I just feel a lot more relaxed with our cars garaged.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 05:27 AM   #38
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Stealing Comfort Access cars is the fastest growing car theft method and much easier than breaking into a house.

I wouldn't go near Comfort Access unless your car is garaged.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 06:55 PM   #39
Manivxr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d EB

Garage. Out of sight out of mind
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 02:54 AM   #40
michael201193
Registered
Rep
Drives: e60 550i

Hey guys, registered to help out. To look at why it is less secure lets take a look at the remote fob when pressing the buttons. the fobs work by storing 256 encrypted codes all of which can unlock your car, these 256 codes are all ways changing to avoid multiple attacks if an attacker steals one of your codes. Other Fobs use a protection known as a challenge response, where after a button press the car sends back a code sequence to be encrypted and and sent back to the vehicle. where the vehicle know the secret key to decrypt the received code. If the decrypted code matches the original code it unlocks.

Thats fairly secure now days, it would take an attacker thousands of hours to brute force(try every possible code sequence)

As far as the comfort access, its a passive system that relies on short range frequencies to trigger and power the fob. the fob contains a code and when in proximity and someone touches the handle, the car sends out the read sequence(times pulses to communicate with the fob, like a nerdy morris code) , if the car recieves the correct code the door opens.

Some details may be off because I cannot find the datasheet for BMW's FOBs or their protocol for operation. However this is generally how this works. At DEFCON-23 a group demonstrated stealing a FOB's data to unlock a vehicle. And if its anything like Schlage's (lock company) FOB entry door locks then they can be easily read and duplicated. I know because Im making a RFID tag duplicator for my computer security course. I was thinking about expanding it to try and do my comfort access as well so I have lots of research to do on how comfort access works. I'll let you guys know my overall findings
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 03:17 AM   #41
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manivxr View Post
Garage. Out of sight out of mind
Yep nice and safe in a garage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ester-46043388
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 03:58 AM   #42
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

If you can't avoid getting a car with CA, just buy a Faraday pouch to keep the key in. £10 on Amazon. Signal can't be amplified. Simples
      11-03-2018, 04:47 AM   #43
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
If you can't avoid getting a car with CA, just buy a Faraday pouch to keep the key in. £10 on Amazon. Signal can't be amplified. Simples
March 2018 build onwards, CA keys go into sleep mode when left still so can't be relayed. BMW also offer to supply these safe keys to owners of older CA cars at a reduced price. There was a thread about it on here.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 05:56 AM   #44
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
To be fair in this instance there was a Golf R on the Drive which the owner believes was the target before they discovered the keys to his more valuable RS6 that was in the garage.

It's getting out of control though now, to many of these thieves think they're playing a game of PlayStation grand theft auto in real life, homeowners need to be able to use any means possible to defend their family in their home without fear of prosecution.
Appreciate 2
zofinger319.00
Pequin230.00