F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Thud sounds at low speed
proTUNING Freaks

11-13-2018, 11:09 AM   #1
xi330
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi w/ 6mt, sport, nav

Thud sounds at low speed

F30 335i xdrive m-package, manual with 80k miles:
I've been experiencing a thud sound at low speed (2-20mph) when pulling into a driveway, or garage or any slightly uneven surface. When I shake or push on each corner of the car there is no sound and car rebounds as expected. Believe it is coming from the front end of car but not confident that it's only the front end. Otherwise, the car runs and drives great. Mentioned to dealer at last service and they weren't concerned with it, not even sure they checked.
What could it be? Engine mount, bad hub, loose exhaust, etc...?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 11:15 AM   #2
xi330
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi w/ 6mt, sport, nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi330 View Post
F30 335i xdrive m-package, manual with 80k miles:
I've been experiencing a thud sound at low speed (2-20mph) when pulling into a driveway, or garage or any slightly uneven surface. When I shake or push on each corner of the car there is no sound and car rebounds as expected. Believe it is coming from the front end of car but not confident that it's only the front end. Otherwise, the car runs and drives great. Mentioned to dealer at last service and they weren't concerned with it, not even sure they checked.
What could it be? Engine mount, bad hub, loose exhaust, etc...?
They identified the problem as the sway bar links are bad and the independent shop is recommending a replacement. They've suggested TRW as the replacement part and curious if anyone on here was familiar with it? OR would recommend another option as the shop can install other replacement links.?
Appreciate your guidance in advance,
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 12:11 PM   #3
mdchris
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi

Don't know about them for BMW specifically but TRW is a well known aftermarket bushing/suspension parts company. I wouldn't hesitate to use their stuff on my car.
Appreciate 1
xi3309.50