F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Dinan Springs Update (review pending)
Extreme Powerhouse

01-16-2014, 01:27 PM   #67
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
At long last, they are available!! I just ordered the kit for my 335i. Shockware is still held up in the delays related to getting through the new encryption to gain access to the ECU... but it looks like Dinan heard the message that many of us were sending them loud and clear that we're hungry for something ASAP. And I think 30% stiffer springs with matching bump stops will do a lot to improve body control.

By the way, according to the rep I spoke with yesterday, these springs are 20mm (about 3/4") lower than the base suspension, and about 1/2" (.45") lower than sport/DHP suspension. (Which is exactly what I was looking for.) Apparently the ride height difference between base and sport is only about 0.3" rather than a full 1/2"...
I think the Dinan reps have some confusion about this. They kept referring to a base suspension, and the drop wasn't adding up, and i was able to clarify that by "base" they meant sportline which is just a non-DHP sport suspension. Anyhow, I believe the drop will be the same 3/4 of an inch on both DHP/non-DHP sport suspension. The springs are not compatible with the REAL base suspension.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #68
nemith
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 BMW 335xi M-Sport EBII

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3605 View Post
The springs are not compatible with the REAL base suspension.
Why wouldn't they be? The drop would be ~10mm more, but would be the same otherwise.

The math works out too. If it's 20mm drop from the base then that would be ~3/4inch. If it's 10mm less than sport it would be closer to 1/2" drop (or .4" actually)

I don't see why you would need sport springs first to use the Dinan springs. BMW's own performance suspension works for both base suspension and sport suspension (25mm drop from base and a 10mm drop from the sport suspension)

Quote:
I believe the drop will be the same 3/4 of an inch on both DHP/non-DHP sport suspension.
Agreed. Springs should be the same with DHP/non-DHP
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 02:20 PM   #69
PabloK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by vip View Post
they must have just made that change because earlier in the week it did not it was applicable for xdrive models. I'm sure it was just a typo on their end and that they are still of course working on getting the springs released for xdrive.
Yup! When I ordered it yesterday x-drive was listed... I agree just an error.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #70
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAwolverine View Post
VIP and all others who have ordered this kit... to clarify, are you guys running them on stock sport/m-sport suspension? VIP, i remember you were planning on running a set up with the blistein shocks

also since these were made to be used in conjunction with OEM suspension, would excessive wear on the shocks still be as much of a concern as using H&R sports for example?
I will be running it on stock sportline/msport (which is the same thing). The dinan springs were made to work with the stock suspension with or without dhp. They also include revised bump stops.

I was planning on getting the Bilstein B8 shocks but they are on back order until March. So when I found out that Dinan springs work on stock shocks, I decided to do that instead.
      01-16-2014, 03:49 PM   #71
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
VIP and all others who have ordered this kit... to clarify, are you guys running them on stock sport/m-sport suspension? VIP, i remember you were planning on running a set up with the blistein shocks

also since these were made to be used in conjunction with OEM suspension, would excessive wear on the shocks still be as much of a concern as using H&R sports for example?
Yes, I am adding the Dinan springs to my M-Sport Adaptive M Suspension. Wear and tear on the dampers is not a concern to me with this spring kit due to the marginal drop and the inclusion of matching bumps stops that retain (or actually slightly increase) the travel range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemith View Post
I don't see why you would need sport springs first to use the Dinan springs. BMW's own performance suspension works for both base suspension and sport suspension (25mm drop from base and a 10mm drop from the sport suspension)
The question of whether they're compatible with base suspension would be more related to how well they match to the softer calibrated non-Sport dampers... the drop should be fine.

Quote:
I think the Dinan reps have some confusion about this. They kept referring to a base suspension, and the drop wasn't adding up, and i was able to clarify that by "base" they meant sportline which is just a non-DHP sport suspension. Anyhow, I believe the drop will be the same 3/4 of an inch on both DHP/non-DHP sport suspension. The springs are not compatible with the REAL base suspension.
Yes, there is definitely some confusion... it would make sense if it were a .75" drop from base suspension, and a .45" drop from Sport/DHP suspension if it's true that the ride height difference between these two OEM setups is indeed .3"

But the question really is, are these springs "compatible" with the base suspension based on the significantly stiffer spring rates... a 30% increase in stiffness compared to Sport/M Sport springs is a sizable jump - the non-Sport dampers/springs are quite soft, so the Dinan springs may not match up well with those dampers (?)
      01-16-2014, 04:12 PM   #72
LAwolverine
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cannondale

Quote:
Originally Posted by vip View Post
I will be running it on stock sportline/msport (which is the same thing). The dinan springs were made to work with the stock suspension with or without dhp. They also include revised bump stops.

I was planning on getting the Bilstein B8 shocks but they are on back order until March. So when I found out that Dinan springs work on stock shocks, I decided to do that instead.
awesome! i'm interested to hear back from you when you've installed them. pictures would be greatly appreciated also
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 04:23 PM   #73
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
awesome! i'm interested to hear back from you when you've installed them. pictures would be greatly appreciated also
most definitely. I will do a before and after set of pictures.
      01-16-2014, 04:56 PM   #74
momo3605
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemith View Post
Why wouldn't they be? The drop would be ~10mm more, but would be the same otherwise.

The math works out too. If it's 20mm drop from the base then that would be ~3/4inch. If it's 10mm less than sport it would be closer to 1/2" drop (or .4" actually)

Agreed. Springs should be the same with DHP/non-DHP
Well my point is that Dinan has a 335i Sportline with sport suspension (which they refer to as base) and a 328i Sportline with DHP. The drop is stated as 3/4 of an inch which will apply to both since they use the same 704 sport springs already.

Dinan does not own a car with base suspension, that's why I say it's not compatible. It's never been tested. In theory you can say that you might get a 30mm (1 inch) drop on the base suspension, but they've never tested it. Also mixing stiff springs with an overly soft damper might cause a bad match up. That I'm not sure about.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 08:06 PM   #75
USC2000
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

It would be nice if Dinan had a rep on here that could clear up the confusion.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 08:27 PM   #76
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

There is massive confusion on drop.

It's 20mm off of base, like MPS, and 30% more stiff.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 08:27 PM   #77
Chico
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

vip, thanks so much for posting this thread. This is great news to hear. The price is a bit high for a spring application, but the drop and the fact that they were engineered to work with the stock adaptive suspension makes it a "must have" for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 10:32 PM   #78
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico View Post
vip, thanks so much for posting this thread. This is great news to hear. The price is a bit high for a spring application, but the drop and the fact that they were engineered to work with the stock adaptive suspension makes it a "must have" for me.
hey man, you're welcome. Can't believe this turned into 4 pages lol. It's some good information though, saved me almost $730 too as I was just about to purchase the Bilstein B8 shocks.

Yeah I agree the price is high, but is more than worth it for what you get. Yeah they should work great with the adaptive/non adaptive suspensions.
      01-17-2014, 12:57 AM   #79
reedo302
Estorilblau Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan Estoril 328i M Sport

Best of all, the $499 springs account for 5 DINAN POINTS. Add software and an intake and you've got yourself a Dinan3 badge.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 03:14 AM   #80
momo3605
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post

Lol, I'm pretty sure it's 20mm off of sport suspension. How could dinan measure off a car they don't have?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 06:47 AM   #81
Seraphblade@sg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Just placed my order on a local agent in singapore. They have confirmed that the installation is indeed 1 day.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post

So, 20mm and 30% stiffer off base????

Doesn't sound right cos m sports is definitely pretty close, if not more, then 30% over base... That is what my butt tells me after driven both on the same day...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #82
Chico
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphblade@sg View Post
Just placed my order on a local agent in singapore. They have confirmed that the installation is indeed 1 day.....

Doesn't sound right cos m sports is definitely pretty close, if not more, then 30% over base... That is what my butt tells me after driven both on the same day...
how can this be one day to install it? My local shop just confirmed 2.5 to 3.5 hours at the most. Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #83
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico View Post
how can this be one day to install it? My local shop just confirmed 2.5 to 3.5 hours at the most. Am I missing something?
seriously right? No way it takes 7 hours to install. All it is standard springs and bump stops. Nothing more, nothing less.
      01-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #84
momo3605
Major
Rep

Ok, I shot an email to Jeff to confirm if it's 20mm drop from base or from sport.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 01:30 PM   #85
momo3605
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphblade@sg View Post

Yea I agree, I'm pretty sure it's 20mm and 30% stiffer than sport suspension. 30% stiffer than base is probably no better than the sport suspension haha. But I am trying to get confirmation from Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #86
Chico
Captain
Rep

I spoke to Dinan and said these springs were tested on the sportline model. So 20mm lower for anyone that has the sportline or Msport. That was good enough for me and placed my order. Only way to find out for sure is for the first owner to show us before and after pics.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 06:17 PM   #87
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

I got my springs today, good to be only 25 miles from their HQ lol.

Install will most likely be sometime next week.
      01-17-2014, 07:16 PM   #88
USC2000
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

Can't wait for pics so I can decide if I should pull the trigger on these.
Appreciate 0