F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Unique-AD Wireless CarPlay
GetBMWParts

05-10-2019, 11:55 AM   #89
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertoSONIC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooshnoo View Post
Has anyone had any luck in getting your music to sound good? The sound quality is just absolutely terrible in my opinion. I've tried everything in the MMI box settings... Loudness, EQ, etc... and nothing matches the sound quality I used to have when playing my tunes through USB or Bluetooth directly to iDrive. Maybe that's the nature of AUX???

I always keep an old piece of crap iphone in my console which has my music on it, but if I switch iDrive to USB, I won't hear any sounds coming from carplay via AUX.
That's what I did to get a better audio quality.
- Set aux level to +8
- Set carplay EQ to Classic
- Set idrive EQ to reduce lows and increase highs. Adjust these to the point you're liking it.

Keep in mind that you won't get the same audi quality as bluetooth or usb audio. The best you can do is to try to get it closer to it.
Hey Alberto

What did you mean when you said you set the AUX level to 8? I must be missing something as I can't find that setting.

05-10-2019, 11:57 AM   #90
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 318d F30 LCI

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Has anyone had any luck in getting your music to sound good? The sound quality is just absolutely terrible in my opinion. I've tried everything in the MMI box settings... Loudness, EQ, etc... and nothing matches the sound quality I used to have when playing my tunes through USB or Bluetooth directly to iDrive. Maybe that's the nature of AUX???

I always keep an old piece of crap iphone in my console which has my music on it, but if I switch iDrive to USB, I won't hear any sounds coming from carplay via AUX.
That's what I did to get a better audio quality.
- Set aux level to +8
- Set carplay EQ to Classic
- Set idrive EQ to reduce lows and increase highs. Adjust these to the point you're liking it.

Keep in mind that you won't get the same audi quality as bluetooth or usb audio. The best you can do is to try to get it closer to it.
Hey Alberto

What did you mean when you said you set the AUX level to 8? I must be missing something as I can't find that setting.
It's an option in the idrive aux screen, you can choose the aux gain
Appreciate 1
ooshnoo868.50
      05-10-2019, 12:00 PM   #91
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertoSONIC;
It's an option in the idrive aux screen in which you can choose the aux gain
Ahhh...there it is. Didn't realize you could click the little AUX icon.

05-10-2019, 12:16 PM   #92
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
It's an option in the idrive aux screen, you can choose the aux gain
I bumped it up to 20 and while not as great as USB, it does sound more acceptable.

I may code the Band and Olufsen EQ settings and see if that helps.

Will let you know what I come up with.

05-11-2019, 08:07 AM   #93
Atchoo
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

Today I did the install, but I am having trouble with the audio.

If I have the aux cable between audio out and audio in I have no sound, even with aux input selected in iDrive.

When I move the cable from audio in (Quadlock) to the aux in that is placed in the arm rest, I do have sound, is this normal behavior?

My headunit is a hu_champ2.

I am however quite happy with the sound quality, recent posts here made me worry a bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 08:13 AM   #94
grahamrb
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 1-series m-sport 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atchoo View Post

If I have the aux cable between audio out and audio in I have no sound, even with aux input selected in iDrive.

When I move the cable from audio in (Quadlock) to the aux in that is placed in the arm rest, I do have sound, is this normal behavior?

I am however quite happy with the sound quality, recent posts here made me worry a bit.
Have you bumped up the volume boost for aux in idrive?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 08:24 AM   #95
Atchoo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamrb View Post
Have you bumped up the volume boost for aux in idrive?
Yes I did play around with this, but when the cable is connected to "audio in" on the quadlock all I get is static when all the volumes are up.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 08:29 AM   #96
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:

Yes I did play around with this, but when the cable is connected to "audio in" on the quadlock all I get is static when all the volumes are up.
Inspect the quad lock and see if you can tell if there is a bad connection in there.

I also remember hearing them say on their installation video, that the green and black fiber optic cables, if they are not connected you won't have audio. Don't know if that's related to your issue, but you may want to check that connection as well

05-11-2019, 10:40 AM   #97
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

Quote:

I think it is something common on HU_CHAMP2 . I found this post about running the cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesmith2939 View Post
Yes the Android unit is fine.

The only thing is you may need to run the Aux cable from the main loom to the Aux plug under the centre arm rest.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 11:07 AM   #98
steker
Private
Rep
Drives: 428i

Quote:
It's because it's showing the backup camera video.. which I guess isn't plugged so it shows a black screen. In carplay settings, is reverse camera set to Off? If it is, then make sure dip switch number 8 is in ON position.
Quote:
In addition to what AlbertoSONIC said, here's a rather fuzzy diagram of the DIP switches and their functions, with 8 being on like he mentioned

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
Well, I opened up the glove box compartment today (it took about 30 minutes total this time from start to finish, I'm getting the hang of it now) and actually saw that switch 8 was set to ON. So I turned it OFF, started my car and put it in reverse and the PDC screen is working again. So it seems it was the other way around for me.

Maybe they programmed it incorrectly on my unit, but in the end all is working fine now. I'm really happy with this! I already can't live without Google Maps and Flitsmeister on the big screen Thanks again for your help guys! Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #99
Atchoo
Rep

Quote:
Inspect the quad lock and see if you can tell if there is a bad connection in there.

I also remember hearing them say on their installation video, that the green and black fiber optic cables, if they are not connected you won't have audio. Don't know if that's related to your issue, but you may want to check that connection as well
Checked both and they look ok to me. I ended up routing the extra cable to the armrest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblues View Post
I think it is something common on HU_CHAMP2 . I found this post about running the cable
Nice find, I was thinking something similar, since the HU_CHAMP2 has the combobox in the back of the car unlike the normal NBT where it is all part of the hu itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steker View Post
Well, I opened up the glove box compartment today (it took about 30 minutes total this time from start to finish, I'm getting the hang of it now) and actually saw that switch 8 was set to ON. So I turned it OFF, started my car and put it in reverse and the PDC screen is working again. So it seems it was the other way around for me.

Maybe they programmed it incorrectly on my unit, but in the end all is working fine now. I'm really happy with this! I already can't live without Google Maps and Flitsmeister on the big screen Thanks again for your help guys! Much appreciated.
Do you have to close Carplay by hand before you can see the PDC screen? This is what I have to do atm and am wondering if I can just have it popup whenever I put the car in reverse.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 02:05 PM   #100
steker
Private
Rep

Quote:
Do you have to close Carplay by hand before you can see the PDC screen? This is what I have to do atm and am wondering if I can just have it popup whenever I put the car in reverse.
When the screen is in CarPlay mode and I put my car in reverse, it now switches automatically to the PDC screen. When I put my car back in neutral or drive it switches back to CarPlay again.

Maybe it's a setting in the Android interface of the unit that you can change?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 03:21 PM   #101
contracts34
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Series F33

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post
I have the Unique AD box since July last year (the original wired version) - so happy with it and has been working great. Wired version can use the stock mic, is best to remove the iPhone/car bluetooth link, I now live within carplay and is all easy to navigate with the BMW controls and Siri.

Wireless was not available back then but I am cool with connecting the phone to the car, I am now used to it...

Waze my preferred app as it offers speed cam alerts. Google maps is next best as it provides lane guidance (no speed limits in the UK just yet).

My only issue now is no full wide screen support ... yet?... I just sent them an email to see if there are any updates - back in November they shared a new firmware (5.1.8) and said full screen support would come in March
Hi. Like you I bought and installed the wired version in August last year. When I saw the new widescreen version recently I contacted them to ask about a software update to bring widescreen to my unit. I was told it’s not possible as the hardware is not compatible! I would love widescreen for the maps

Last edited by contracts34; 05-11-2019 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 03:24 AM   #102
Rathian
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport

Garage List
2022 BMW iX3  [0.00]
Quote:

I have the exact same scenario except my audio keeps losing something after a while. Have played around with the wiring and from initial investigation appears to be a loose or damaged wire in part of the loom. Unique have sent a replacement I just need to switch it out and check to see if it's fixed.

When the sound works I to am happy with the quality.
      05-12-2019, 03:25 AM   #103
Atchoo
Rep

Is there a way to go to the android settings screen when a phone is connected to carplay?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 04:33 AM   #104
steker
Private
Rep

Quote:
Is there a way to go to the android settings screen when a phone is connected to carplay?
Good question I just put my phone in airplane mode or turn off WiFi and Bluetooth and then it automatically jumps back into the Android interface as there is no CarPlay connection. But I can only assume that there is a button combination that makes it happen too.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 03:54 PM   #105
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Good question I just put my phone in airplane mode or turn off WiFi and Bluetooth and then it automatically jumps back into the Android interface as there is no CarPlay connection. But I can only assume that there is a button combination that makes it happen too.
Ehm, I don't know if you're talking about unique ad unit.. Just wanted to say that I'm pretty sure it's not android. It has different update files and boots too fast to be an android system. However, to see the home screen you don't need to be disconnected from carplay. Just go to the carplay home (where you see apps) and click on the BMW app, it goes back to Unique unit homescreen!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 04:34 PM   #106
steker
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ehm, I don't know if you're talking about unique ad unit.. Just wanted to say that I'm pretty sure it's not android. It has different update files and boots too fast to be an android system. However, to see the home screen you don't need to be disconnected from carplay. Just go to the carplay home (where you see apps) and click on the BMW app, it goes back to Unique unit homescreen!
Aah I assumed it was Android because of the back and home button, which is exactly the look of Android 4, next to the dark interface. Maybe it's a stripped down version or just a proprietary OS with Android looks.

But good to know the BMW icon is the key. I thought it was just the BMW Connected app.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 04:39 PM   #107
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Aah I assumed it was Android because of the back and home button, which is exactly the look of Android 4, next to the dark interface. Maybe it's a stripped down version or just a proprietary OS with Android looks.

But good to know the BMW icon is the key. I thought it was just the BMW Connected app.
Also, strange tip: you can change the BMW icon to other brands icon, from carplay settings (it asks for a pin, it's 1123). No reason to do that, just saying xD
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 04:24 AM   #108
steker
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertoSONIC
Also, strange tip: you can change the BMW icon to other brands icon, from carplay settings (it asks for a pin, it's 1123). No reason to do that, just saying xD
How.... do you know all these things

Maybe you know the following too, is there a way to turn off the steering wheel controls? Right now I have the following setup:

- Bluetooth: BMW iDrive
- Wifi: CarPlay
- Google Maps, Waze, etc: CarPlay (no sound, because BMW iDrive Bluetooth is selected and not AUX, which is fine, because normally I have these apps muted too)
- Phone: BMW iDrive audio and mic (but using the CarPlay Phone app to control it)
- Spotify: BMW iDrive Bluetooth audio (but using CarPlay Spotify app to control it)
- Radio: BMW iDrive normal radio

The reason I chose this setup is because the audio quality of the CarPlay unit is really bad in comparison to iDrive Bluetooth, so I really want to keep using Spotify, radio and phone the traditional way. Luckily in CarPlay you can still control your Phone and Spotify even though they are connected through Bluetooth with iDrive.

I always have the CarPlay screen showing. But when I for instance want to change the radio station, I use the steering wheel controls. When I scroll through the radio stations in the small info screen between the meters, the cursor in CarPlay also moves. And obviously when I want to select the radio station by clicking it, it also clicks the app or button that is selected in CarPlay. Same for selecting the next song in Spotify.

Now I just either back out of CarPlay to quickly switch radio station or use the iDrive controller to select a Spotify song in Now Playing or the CarPlay Spotify app. But it would be great if the steering wheel buttons would only work for iDrive and not CarPlay. Have you found a way to make that work?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 04:47 AM   #109
Atchoo
Rep

I talked to Unique today and they confirmed that the HU_CHAMP2 needs the Aux cable to be routed to the armrest.

I also asked them about my reverse camera not showing up and they asked me to move the number 4 dipswitch to the ON position, gonna try that later.

Quote:

The reason I chose this setup is because the audio quality of the CarPlay unit is really bad in comparison to iDrive Bluetooth
Do you have the advanced audio package? I have the base audio and it sounds quite good, I can hardly tell the difference between Bluetooth and Aux playing Apple Music.

I am thinking to make a recording for myself, so I can compare the 2 better.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 05:12 AM   #110
steker
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atchoo
I talked to Unique today and they confirmed that the HU_CHAMP2 needs the Aux cable to be routed to the armrest.

I also asked them about my reverse camera not showing up and they asked me to move the number 4 dipswitch to the ON position, gonna try that later.
Did they tell you what switch number 4 actually does? It's called Tracking ON/OFF, but what does it mean in this context? My setup is:

1: OFF (8.8" screen)
4: OFF (Tracking ON)
8: OFF (Aftermarket Camera, even though I don't have a camera, just OEM PDC)

Mine goes from CarPlay to iDrive PDC when I put it in Reverse and back to CarPlay when I put it in Neutral or Drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atchoo
Do you have the advanced audio package? I have the base audio and it sounds quite good, I can hardly tell the difference between Bluetooth and Aux playing Apple Music.

I am thinking to make a recording for myself, so I can compare the 2 better.
I have the Harman Kardon audio system and with iDrive Bluetooth the music sounds very clear, while with the CarPlay Bluetooth it just sounds very muffled and lacking any range. Just comparing the same song, by switching output, made the difference very clear to me.

Maybe it's the setting on my unit, that could also be the case. I know that there is an equaliser, so I'm going to play with that to see if I can get close, but I just think it's either the Bluetooth or audio chip that's not of high quality. But if you don't notice a big difference, that's even better! Then you can really fully live in CarPlay and forget about iDrive, as the worlds are not perfect together.

Last edited by steker; 05-13-2019 at 05:23 AM..
Appreciate 0