F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Repetitive error: cruise controle malfunction: SZL or wheel buttons?
Studio RSR

08-03-2023, 12:03 PM   #1
DaHollow
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Repetitive error: cruise controle malfunction: SZL or wheel buttons?

Hi all,

I bought my F30 330d new back in the days and since a while I get a very annoying error with a gong telling me the cruise control has malfunctioned.

Some say it's the SZL but I'm not sure. The dealer gave me a 1.600 EUR repair quote. Don't get me wrong, I have the money to repair it, but I just don't like to be scammed.

The symptoms are:
- during the error I get a notification about the cruise controle on my navigation screen with a gong I'm starting to hate from the bottom of my heart.
- during the error only the buttons on the wheel don't work. So the buttons for the cruise control settings (left side) and the phone, volume, etc (right side). After a while everything works again.
- The horn, shifter paddles, left lever for blinker, right lever for whipers etc keep working during the error. They don't fail.

- during long trips I don't get the error, or even for months on end.
- when it starts I often get 10+ warnings during a very short trip.
- There's no difference in turning the wheel left or right before the error occurs.

My Carly app gave the following error codes

- 030410: Multifunction Steering Wheel (MFL): missing LIN slave
- D90C0D: LIN master K_LIN_11: no communication (is this related?)
- 804029: sek battery undervoltage

Those 3 error codes had the same time stamp.

Questions

1) is it the SZL itself or the wiring to the buttons on the steering wheel?
2) MOST IMPORTANT: is there a way I can fix this myself? Perhaps by disabling the cruise control so I don't get that message anymore until I can fix it completely?

Sorry for my English.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 09:21 PM   #2
SpoolinAddict
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i Stage 2 BM3

Have the same issue but it's only if I accidentally press any of the buttons there. I never use that feature anyway, as long as it's not problematic to the car, I don't worry about it
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 12:19 PM   #3
LuxoM3
(formerly exe36M3)
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i

I've taken apart the steering wheel quite a few times. *Maybe* the Cruise Control switch is going bad in the steering wheel. It's probably the easiest and cheapest to replace. Buy part off ebay used and swap in/try. There's not a lot of parts to it. Here's a PDF of a guy who did some retrofit work... http://www.mediafire.com/file/5ircb7t4dsvckkt