F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > The urban 440i - 10k mile review
GetBMWParts

07-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #23
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
Regarding understeer, was your E90 SE spec with a 'square' wheel set? I find when I remove my Staggered summers and go to my 'square' winters that the balance of turn moves forwards and the front end feels better...
Same here with my E91. Had both summer and winter tyres on a square setup, much more balanced and neutral chassis, with sharper steering than the staggered summers I also used on the E91. Yes, you can push harder on the wider rear tyres, but at the sacrifice of better turn-in at a moderate driving pace.

Many users forget a staggered wheel set can take the edge off of many a well balanced ‘neutral’ chassis.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2018, 10:24 AM   #24
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Great write up as usual MashinBenzin and glad to hear that you're still enjoying the car.

Must admit, I really liked mine and it was only the ridiculous deal on the M4 that drew me away from it.

Let's hope you have many more happy miles and smiles

Past: C43, X4 M40i, TTS, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2018, 04:01 PM   #25
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
Regarding understeer, was your E90 SE spec with a 'square' wheel set? I find when I remove my Staggered summers and go to my 'square' winters that the balance of turn moves forwards and the front end feels better...
Same here with my E91. Had both summer and winter tyres on a square setup, much more balanced and neutral chassis, with sharper steering than the staggered summers I also used on the E91. Yes, you can push harder on the wider rear tyres, but at the sacrifice of better turn-in at a moderate driving pace.

Many users forget a staggered wheel set can take the edge off of many a well balanced 'neutral' chassis.
I really hadn't given much thought to the staggered set up until this thread. This is the first car that I have had with a staggered set up and I haven't driven it on a square set up. Makes perfect sense though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukka View Post
Great write up as usual MashinBenzin and glad to hear that you're still enjoying the car.

Must admit, I really liked mine and it was only the ridiculous deal on the M4 that drew me away from it.

Let's hope you have many more happy miles and smiles
Thanks @rukka

The current M4 deals are brilliant and I am not surprised that you took the chance. The 440i is an amazing car for the money, but a M must be something else.

Yep, planning on keeping this for many years, although should become my wife's daily driver in a few months, if all goes to plan. I will still drive it a lot though

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0