F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Looking to obtain the 2015 428i 2dr Coupe
Studio RSR

08-01-2018, 04:48 PM   #1
enochy
Rep
Drives: 428i

Looking to obtain the 2015 428i 2dr Coupe

Hello,

One of my local dealers has a 2015 BMW 4 Series 428i 2dr Coupe that has 46k mileage for 21,000, with Tech Package and M-Sports Package. it kills me that its not the xdrive, because that would have been better, especially in NYC.

He honestly told me BMW's are the most expensive to own as insurance is high and maintence/upkeep is high as well, so im really pondering if i should pull the trigger. I hate to find out I have to drop another few grand in fixing the car etc. There is one accident report on the car, front/side damage, dealer told me upon inspection, that the hood/bumper was likely replaced, driver side fender painted, but no frame damage. Dealer said I can take it to my mechanic to have it inspected before purchase. He's a pretty honest/not pushy dealer.

I'll have roughly 3k mileage left before warranty expires.
I like to own the car for atleast 4-5 years.

What are the most common things that go wrong in the 4 series 428i?
-so far from my research, I hear the Oil Filter Housing Gasket (OFHG) can go bad, leading to leaking oil
-also a timing chain????, can anyone clarify?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 08:17 PM   #2
enochy
Rep

bump...shamelessly
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 09:50 PM   #3
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Timing chain should not be an issue since the part(s) were revised for 2015 vehicles.

If it were me, Id be concerned with the fact its been wrecked. Have you checked the paintwork RRREALLY closely? How about the gaps between panels that were repaired/replaced?

Have you looked around for other similar vehicles? Anything at a BMW dealer is going to be marked up considerably and unless its CPO, whats the point? I wouldn't suggest Joe Blow's Auto Sales either, dont get me wrong. I personally bought my car from CarMax with 29k on it... it's only ever been serviced by BMW and myself. No issues whatsoever. I priced out the same vehicle from my dealer prior to purchase and they were selling similar vehicles for $3-5k more.

As for maintenance, Id plan to change oil yourself every 5k (to save on costs).

Is this vehicle SULEV ? They come with a lot of additional warrantied items. Some up to 150k miles. Ive had my coolant thermostat replaced for free under this extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #4
enochy
Rep

Gaps and panels look good. Unfortunately its not SULEV.

I found an Indy BMW service center(great reviews) that can do prepurchase inspections for $175(takes about an hour, don't know how thorough you can be in 1 hour)

As far as extended warranty, I've spoke with endurance as well as Mr. Steele from BMW, seems like it will cost anywhere from 2700-5700 depending on the warranty plan. I read that you must do your maintenance at BMW or a certified mechanic or else the extended warranty becomes voided, so I'm afraid DIY maintenance will be difficult if I opt for the extended warranty.

Dealer also mentioned, generally, on BMW's, if turbo goes out, your out upto 8k, waterpump maybe another grand, etc. that is some scary sh*t LOL
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 09:54 PM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Definitely go ahead and schedule a pre-purchase inspection.

About N20 timing chains: yes, the timing chain can stretch and break. B48 engine has many improvements including a redesigned timing chain now in the back of the engine. BMW engineers apparently are confident that the new design will be trouble free.

If you can find a car in your budget with B48 engine and more factory warranty remaining, it might be a good option ...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 09:05 PM   #6
ffpharma
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by enochy View Post
Gaps and panels look good. Unfortunately its not SULEV.

I found an Indy BMW service center(great reviews) that can do prepurchase inspections for $175(takes about an hour, don't know how thorough you can be in 1 hour)

As far as extended warranty, I've spoke with endurance as well as Mr. Steele from BMW, seems like it will cost anywhere from 2700-5700 depending on the warranty plan. I read that you must do your maintenance at BMW or a certified mechanic or else the extended warranty becomes voided, so I'm afraid DIY maintenance will be difficult if I opt for the extended warranty.

Dealer also mentioned, generally, on BMW's, if turbo goes out, your out upto 8k, waterpump maybe another grand, etc. that is some scary sh*t LOL

DId you have a chance to get it inspected? The peace of mind for under a couple hundred is not bad. Potential catch sometime even if its only an hour long. Good luck sir!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 09:34 PM   #7
TheShadow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M sport

Shouldnt have a problem with insurance tbh. i was in a same scared poistion u were as i bought my first F30 around 2 weeks ago. 335i m sport package CPO warranty until 2020 or 100k miles with 43k miles on it for 26k. the insurance for full coverage for me is 600$ every 6 months. I bought mine privately from a enthusiast who is on this forum as well thankfully. Definitely get the pre purchase inspection but like ur self its only 1 hour. They probably just check the breaks, tires, basic stuff not really thorough. Best thing to do if you buy it is to immediately take it to a dealership while u still have the 3k miles of warranty to get everything checked. Other then that look for a car with a better warranty plan even if it means having to pay a extra 1-2k just so ur mind will be more at ease
Appreciate 0