F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Custom steering wheel wrap
proTUNING Freaks

12-30-2017, 09:33 AM   #23
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The source shows car models and pictures of the wheels they fit to match with your own.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 10:45 PM   #24
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 435i Gran Coupe M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
The source shows car models and pictures of the wheels they fit to match with your own.
Well I emailed them directly and sent them a picture of OP's wheel. They're going to send me a url to purchase it directly.

Now all I need is to hire an intern to do the sewing for me.
435i Gran Coupe | ///M Sport Pkg | 430hp | MHD Stage 2+ | BMS Intake | Catless Downpipe | FMIC | Black Sapphire exterior | 9H Ceramic Coating | Black Anthracite interior | 19" Black ///M Wheels | Red ///M Brake Calipers | ///M Steering wheel | ///M Metal Pedals | Alcantara dash panel | Carbon Fiber trims and gear knob | Angel Eyes LEDs | Surround Cameras | Spoiler | Coded ///M iDrive, Mirrors, HUD |

Last edited by Mountain_Commando; 12-30-2017 at 11:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 02:50 AM   #25
vympel777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540 B58 MSPRT \ F16 5.0 M SPRT

How to remove plastic parts without damaging them. They just pop? Im about to do this and wonder what tools would I need.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 03:19 AM   #26
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vympel777 View Post
How to remove plastic parts without damaging them. They just pop? Im about to do this and wonder what tools would I need.
There is no need to remove any plastic, the wrap just tucks into the gap between the plastic and the steering. They give you a plastic spatula like flat tool to tuck it in.

See installation video:

435i Gran Coupe | ///M Sport Pkg | 430hp | MHD Stage 2+ | BMS Intake | Catless Downpipe | FMIC | Black Sapphire exterior | 9H Ceramic Coating | Black Anthracite interior | 19" Black ///M Wheels | Red ///M Brake Calipers | ///M Steering wheel | ///M Metal Pedals | Alcantara dash panel | Carbon Fiber trims and gear knob | Angel Eyes LEDs | Surround Cameras | Spoiler | Coded ///M iDrive, Mirrors, HUD |
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 04:58 AM   #27
vympel777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540 B58 MSPRT \ F16 5.0 M SPRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_Commando View Post
There is no need to remove any plastic, the wrap just tucks into the gap between the plastic and the steering. They give you a plastic spatula like flat tool to tuck it in.

See installation video:

Great video thnx! But i have m sport and its quite different steering with some very tight spots. That's why i was thinking to just pop all plastic parts.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 04:51 PM   #28
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vympel777 View Post
Great video thnx! But i have m sport and its quite different steering with some very tight spots. That's why i was thinking to just pop all plastic parts.
Yes I have an M-Sport steering as well, but I think the same concept should apply because there seems to be enough space in there as well....except maybe at the bottom spoke.

Let us know how it works for you. My wrap is still in the mail.

x328x did you have to pop any plastic to make the wrap fit?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 09:41 PM   #29
x328x
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M Sport

I found it really hard to tuck the material in. I found it impossible. So i removed the center plastic trim and steering wheel buttons. This involves removing air bag. This was very easy to do and i think you can get a real oem finish
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2018, 09:54 PM   #30
KevDon92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by x328x View Post
I found it really hard to tuck the material in. I found it impossible. So i removed the center plastic trim and steering wheel buttons. This involves removing air bag. This was very easy to do and i think you can get a real oem finish
Was that with the M sport wheel or the normal wheel?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 01:25 AM   #31
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I got the package today.

The quality is really good.

I'm anticipating minimum 2 hours of work to install this, so it will have to wait until Friday.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 02:07 AM   #32
x328x
Captain
Rep

Good luck
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2018, 05:50 AM   #33
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Good luck
Thanks for the product reference mate!

Did you have to remove the airbag in order to remove the plastic parts, or is unscrewing the torx screw at the back of the bottom spoke sufficient?

EDIT: Saw your earlier post. Yes I think it's unavoidable to remove the airbag/plastic parts in order to tuck the wrap in.

Last edited by Mountain_Commando; 01-16-2018 at 07:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 08:35 AM   #34
chuky07
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i sportline

Quote:
I got the package today.

The quality is really good.

I'm anticipating minimum 2 hours of work to install this, so it will have to wait until Friday.
is that alcantara or suede? how much did you pay for it? looks really good! post some pics after the install please
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 06:52 PM   #35
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuky07 View Post
is that alcantara or suede? how much did you pay for it? looks really good! post some pics after the install please
It's suede. But pics are from iphone hence shitty, quality is much better than pics show.

Will post install pics on Friday.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 02:54 AM   #36
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Here you go guys, install complete and it looks sweeeet!

Time taken:
30 minutes to find and disconnect the battery (I'm not a very smart man), 15 minutes to remove airbag and plastic parts, 10 minutes to understand the sewing instructions, then 4 hours (yes, 4 hours!) and another 15 minutes to reassemble the plastic parts and airbag. For a grand total of around 5 hours.

Recommendations:
- Make sure you're well fed and rested before you start
- Make sure you have enough daylight, or a bright overhead garage light
- Make sure you give the string a firm tug after each stitch. I neglected this in the beginning, the it resulted in wider than a wider than usual pattern in a small patch
- Once you get going, it gets easier...albeit repetitive.
- Halfway through, I replugged my airbag and battery (withe plastic parts still out) so that I could get power and listen to music while sewing.

Steering looks great now and feels really nice and solid.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-24-2018, 12:21 AM   #37
Imperial328i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 MGM 328i, 2017 LBB M2

It doesn’t bother you that it’s all rumpled on the sides?
Appreciate 1
cdwalls701.00
      01-24-2018, 04:22 AM   #38
x328x
Captain
Rep

Hey mountain you did a great job, but yeah the wrinkles near the sides. I think you maybe didnt use the double sided tape there or maybe its pulling to tight where the plastic is. I think it would be a easy fix, just remove plastics again and just fiddle around with the material. If u fix that it will look oem
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2018, 06:36 AM   #39
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Yes didn't use tape there. Doesn't really bother me, that uber close up and lighting makes it stand out more.

But ok, I'll play with it over the weekend...just to please you critics
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2018, 03:23 PM   #40
x328x
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes didn't use tape there. Doesn't really bother me, that uber close up and lighting makes it stand out more.

But ok, I'll play with it over the weekend...just to please you critics
Lol thanks. My ocd kicks in when i see it. How good is the feel of the thicker steering wheel. Such a great mod
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 05:26 PM   #41
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Lol thanks. My ocd kicks in when i see it. How good is the feel of the thicker steering wheel. Such a great mod
Oh it's the best mate! I had the alcantara wheel which just felt way too thin and unbecoming of a bimmer (ironically it's supposed to be a luxury item). This one adds volume and feels solid, it's funny how such small things can enhance the driving experience. And of course looks wicked good, sporty!

Glad I found your post! I was when I first saw your steering and was all over it like a hooker over an investment banker
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 10:20 AM   #42
aps
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

they seem to have removed the one similar to OP. I can't find the same setup with (faux?)alcantara in the middle and leather on the top and bottom. anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 05:08 PM   #43
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOT335 View Post
they seem to have removed the one similar to OP. I can't find the same setup with (faux?)alcantara in the middle and leather on the top and bottom. anyone else?
Send them a message. I couldn't find what I wanted either, so I messaged them, sent OP's pic, and specified that I wanted red only stitching. They responded immediately and comms were great.
Appreciate 1
aps335.50
      02-19-2018, 08:26 PM   #44
lukeiswright
Luke Wright
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 6mt 328i

I want to order one but I'm afraid I'll screw it up installing it lmao
Appreciate 0