F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Is the CarMax warranty worth it on a F30?
GetBMWParts

04-28-2021, 09:44 PM   #23
tardboi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by exE36M3 View Post
So... I HAVE a 2015 435i AND I bought CarMax warranty. Was about $2900 for 4 years or 75k miles.

In the 3 years I have had it, the following has happened to my car from 50k miles to 65k miles:

1. Enhanced cruise control failed - Carmax refused to cover it citing my car was lowered. It was.
I just live with it for now as I never use Cruise Control. Cost is $800 to re-align it per dealer.

2. GPS navigation failed - Carmax warranty covered the head unit (new/refurbished), cost was $2800 unit and 4 hours of labor (Like $800).

3. Radiator (top hose) broke off - I was fiddling with it, but this is CRAZY common. I fixed it for $35 BUT if this popped off during a road trip, that's loss of coolant and a tow. The warranty from CarMax would have covered it.

4. Emission item went dead - BMW covered this but informed me of the tune in the car and flagged it.
So engine and tranny and driveline warranty is gonna be a fight in the future.

WHAT I LEARNED
In working with the CarMax adjuster, IF there is ANYTHING not stock, they won't cover it. Period. BMW is happy to work with CarMax. So take it there and let them fix. I don't know if any independent shop can work with CarMax - haven't tried yet, BUT they should as long as the shop/tech is ASE certified.

So my 2-cents... IF you don't plan on ANY modifying work, get the extended warranty - from whoever. BUT IF YOU DO, plan on VERY limited coverage and some refusals from the extended warranty company.
How does that work with a 3rd party warranty? Obviously BMW is fully capable of denying powertrain warranty on a tuned vehicle, but a 3rd party has no way to know? Especially if you flash back to stock before going to the dealer; if there is no warranty coverage concern with BMW they wouldn't be concerned about checking for a tune and alerting anyone.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 11:13 PM   #24
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardboi View Post
How does that work with a 3rd party warranty? Obviously BMW is fully capable of denying powertrain warranty on a tuned vehicle, but a 3rd party has no way to know? Especially if you flash back to stock before going to the dealer; if there is no warranty coverage concern with BMW they wouldn't be concerned about checking for a tune and alerting anyone.
If I understand your comment right, basically you are saying that a CarMax or Red or Zurich extended warranty provider doesn't care if...say a flash tune caused the warranty issue. My GUESS would be that if no one checks for the flash (dealer or indy shop) and they just tell the warranty provider there's a need to fix and cost, it should fly.

But the hitch is... well... in the case of my adaptive cruise, the dealer diagnosed, said it needed to be fixed... somehow Carmax found out the my car was lowered and BAM coverage denied. That's just the cruise control.

I suspect that a more major issue with more major repair work may blip the scrutiny of the 3rd party warranty provider.

Last edited by exE36M3; 04-28-2021 at 11:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
tardboi82.50
      04-29-2021, 09:54 AM   #25
shoman24v
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i, 2022 Highlander

OP, you are looking at a car with low miles and still under factory warranty. I would gamble that the car should be reliable for the next 52k miles, assuming you keep up with preventative maintenance. So, I don't think spending $2,900 for piece of mind is worth it. If you really want to add to the reliability of the car, try to find something without xDrive, and if you can spring for it, go through BMW and get a CPO while you still can on 2018's. You can find 330s CPO for probably around CarMax prices.

I myself is shopping now for an F30, 2018, preferably CPO. CarMax cars are not out of question if it is the right one, but I often wonder why cars that could be CPO end up at CarMax, so you really gotta look close at them.
| 2018 BMW 330i | 30k Miles | M-Sport Package | Driving Assistance Plus | Premium Package | Executive Package | Harmon Kardon | Active Blind Spot Detection | PDC | Mineral Grey Metallic/Coral Red Dakota Leather |
| 2022 Toyota Highlander Platinum AWD |
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 10:50 AM   #26
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman24v View Post
but I often wonder why cars that could be CPO end up at CarMax, so you really gotta look close at them.
Because the dealer will low ball you on a trade. If CarMax was going to give me more than the dealer on a trade (factoring in sales tax savings), I'd absolutely sell to CarMax.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 11:04 AM   #27
EnlightenedOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Because the dealer will low ball you on a trade. If CarMax was going to give me more than the dealer on a trade (factoring in sales tax savings), I'd absolutely sell to CarMax.
This is my thought too. I’ve sold many cars to CarMax versus trading in elsewhere. Even with the tax savings CarMax is higher a lot of times.
Appreciate 1
tex26702400.50
      04-29-2021, 11:08 AM   #28
shoman24v
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well, most BMW's are leased, so I could see if CarMax was willing to pay more than the return on the lease, sure.
| 2018 BMW 330i | 30k Miles | M-Sport Package | Driving Assistance Plus | Premium Package | Executive Package | Harmon Kardon | Active Blind Spot Detection | PDC | Mineral Grey Metallic/Coral Red Dakota Leather |
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 11:42 AM   #29
EnlightenedOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well, most BMW's are leased, so I could see if CarMax was willing to pay more than the return on the lease, sure.
Yes, that’s a good point. I recently sold my Tesla lease to CarMax because I actually got cash back and avoided paying the disposition fee to Tesla. Ended up about $3000 ahead by selling to CarMax versus turning the lease in.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 01:58 PM   #30
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
So then you answered your own question; if you buy out your lease, you think the dealer is going to then buy it back for more than CarMax will, and then turn around and CPO it and sell it? Again, I think a better deal is to be had from CarMax - especially right now with the prices in the used car market.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 02:02 PM   #31
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
I've had good luck buying from CarMax...enough to where now, they are usually the first place I look. Inventory is excellent, and if you hunt around for a while you can usually find a great deal. Right now might be the exception to that, though.

The only thing I don't like is that sticker...but white vinegar and patience gets rid of it.

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 03:10 PM   #32
shoman24v
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So then you answered your own question; if you buy out your lease, you think the dealer is going to then buy it back for more than CarMax will, and then turn around and CPO it and sell it? Again, I think a better deal is to be had from CarMax - especially right now with the prices in the used car market.
But, we don't know if that's the case. It is just an assumption. I feel some cars end up there with issues (say paint or minor accident). A few M Sports I wanted to look at very recently had something on their history report or paint that doesn't match the rest of the car, or a front end that didn't line up. That's why I would say be sure you fully have the car checked. Last year, I almost pulled the trigger on a '15 X3 xDrive35i with really low miles. After my final inspection before signing, I saw it had paintwork. Deal breaker. Got our CPO sDrive28i for the same price, 2 years newer, no issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 04:01 PM   #33
EnlightenedOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
But, we don't know if that's the case. It is just an assumption. I feel some cars end up there with issues (say paint or minor accident). A few M Sports I wanted to look at very recently had something on their history report or paint that doesn't match the rest of the car, or a front end that didn't line up. That's why I would say be sure you fully have the car checked. Last year, I almost pulled the trigger on a '15 X3 xDrive35i with really low miles. After my final inspection before signing, I saw it had paintwork. Deal breaker. Got our CPO sDrive28i for the same price, 2 years newer, no issues.
Is it the general consensus that CPO cars don’t have any paintwork or accidents or other issues? Are they reviewed for modifications like louder exhaust, etc.? I am also considering buying CPO cars and having them shipped but this seems risky to me since I will have already paid for the car before I get to see it in person.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 04:12 PM   #34
shoman24v
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlightenedOne View Post
Is it the general consensus that CPO cars don’t have any paintwork or accidents or other issues? Are they reviewed for modifications like louder exhaust, etc.? I am also considering buying CPO cars and having them shipped but this seems risky to me since I will have already paid for the car before I get to see it in person.
I'm not sure what makes a car qualified for CPO. I don't know if any I've clicked on have had an accident reported, but I have seen carfaxes with damage reported. Here is an example
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 04:42 PM   #35
M Smurf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Quote:
I bought my current car sight unseen and shipped, non CPO. Best thing I ever did was to get a PPI from local indy that someone else here mentioned who gave me a solid thumbs up on the car even though he admitted that he hated the BMW dealership I was working with. Great experience that I would do all over again!
      04-29-2021, 05:19 PM   #36
EnlightenedOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Smurf View Post
I bought my current car sight unseen and shipped, non CPO. Best thing I ever did was to get a PPI from local indy that someone else here mentioned who gave me a solid thumbs up on the car even though he admitted that he hated the BMW dealership I was working with. Great experience that I would do all over again!
Nice! How did you find the local indy person?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 05:25 PM   #37
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure what makes a car qualified for CPO. I don't know if any I've clicked on have had an accident reported, but I have seen carfaxes with damage reported. Here is an example
Quote:
CPOs can have paint and/or body work. It has to have been properly repaired.

Personally, I would not buy a car sight unseen and have it shipped. I don’t mind buying long distance as long as I can travel to pick up the car and put my own eyes on it before closing the deal. I just traveled to Houston to pick up a 340i M Sport RWD. Everything local was xDrive and I wanted RWD, so I had to go south to get it.

Have you seen the 330i in person and driven it yet?

I’ve attached a copy of the BMW CPO guidelines.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW CPO inspection guidelines.pdf (327.0 KB, 360 views)
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

04-29-2021, 07:35 PM   #38
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This is one I might buy sight unseen and have shipped. I am slightly obsessed with Sunset Orange. I just barely missed a Sunset Orange 340i M Sport and I’m still getting over it. Silver just isn’t the same.

https://www.bmwcleveland.com/certifi...cpo.bmwusa.com
Attached Images

04-29-2021, 08:22 PM   #39
M Smurf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Quote:
I just called the closest shop to the dealer I could find that was BMW knowledgeable
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 09:23 PM   #40
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Here’s a couple of resources - www.bimrs.org , www.bimmershops.com

04-29-2021, 09:31 PM   #41
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
This is one I might buy sight unseen and have shipped. I am slightly obsessed with Sunset Orange. I just barely missed a Sunset Orange 340i M Sport and I’m still getting over it. Silver just isn’t the same.

https://www.bmwcleveland.com/certifi...cpo.bmwusa.com
Just do it...

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 11:18 PM   #42
18340i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i

Quote:
About to pickup a 2018 330i xDrive with 23k miles on it. It has about 1 year of the factory warranty remaining. I'm debating if it's worth paying $2849 for the CarMax warranty that would cover it for 5 years or until it gets to 75k miles. I'm not too familiar with the F30 so I'm hoping to get some advice about whether it's worth paying for the warranty on this model. Thanks!
dang the warranty prices have really gone up. I was quoted like 1700 for a 5/100k on a M2 Comp last year
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 05:25 PM   #43
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
About to pickup a 2018 330i xDrive with 23k miles on it. It has about 1 year of the factory warranty remaining. I'm debating if it's worth paying $2849 for the CarMax warranty that would cover it for 5 years or until it gets to 75k miles. I'm not too familiar with the F30 so I'm hoping to get some advice about whether it's worth paying for the warranty on this model. Thanks!
Ask CarMax if the warranty will be available in one year just before the new car warranty runs out or does it have to be purchased at the same time the car is purchased.

05-03-2021, 11:26 AM   #44
bigdnno98
Real Car Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18340i View Post
dang the warranty prices have really gone up. I was quoted like 1700 for a 5/100k on a M2 Comp last year
From what company? That's insanely cheap. My 335is 3yr/36,000 mile warranty was $3,600 4 years ago, and the quoted me at $4k for a 3yr/36,000 mile for my 340xi in December.
Appreciate 1