F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Another Non On Flat Convert
Studio RSR

04-22-2017, 04:19 PM   #1
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i F20, 449i F33

Another Non On Flat Convert

Finally got around to outing the Potenza's and replacing with a set of MPSS.

All I can say, is wish I'd done it sooner. The harshness has gone, the car is marginally quieter and it drives superbly.

If your in two minds about doing this....do it!!!

Also gave the car a Quick bath and rushed round with Sonax NPT and BSD, though no daylight pics
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 04:31 PM   #2
vadimo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320D X-Drive

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter_74 View Post
Finally got around to outing the Potenza's and replacing with a set of MPSS.

All I can say, is wish I'd done it sooner. The harshness has gone, the car is marginally quieter and it drives superbly.

If your in two minds about doing this....do it!!!

Also gave the car a Quick bath and rushed round with Sonax NPT and BSD, though no daylight pics
did you have to increase tyre pressure ?

the only thing i keep thinking, you are screwed if tyre is busted and the crappy tyre filler doesnt work

i did think okay i can add spare wheel but that will take up premium space in my boot.
Current Ride: 2020 G20 M340i in Metallic Black Sapphire with Individual Full Merino Ivory White and Piano Black Trim Previous Ride1: 2014 F30 M Sport 320D X-Drive Auto, Dakota Beige Leather, M Sport Brakes, Adaptive M Suspension, Paddle Shifters, 19" 403 Alloys, Folding Mirrors, Pro Sat Nav & Harman Kardon Surround Sound. Previous Ride2: 2004 E46 M Sport 320CI Auto, Montana Beige Leather & 18" 135M Alloys.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 04:38 PM   #3
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep

I'm still messing around with pressures. Currently got 2.5 front, 2.7 rear, but may change as feels just a little of the soft side, but I think that's just because of the softer sidewalls of the MPSS's.

Yes, that was the main thing that put me off as I liked the 'security' of being able to get somewhere safe in the unfortunate event of a puncture. I've got the slime/compressor kit, but to be honest, I'll be calling BMW assist
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 04:53 PM   #4
rosstin
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i saloon

I'm getting close to doing the same.

What made you go for MPSS rather than the other michelins?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 05:07 PM   #5
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosstin View Post
I'm getting close to doing the same.

What made you go for MPSS rather than the other michelins?
A set with under 1,000 miles came up on here a few months back and I got them for £400, so was too good to turn down. Cost me £40 cash to get them swapped at a local garage, which to be honest they earn't on one tyre that just wouldn't 'pop' into place. So £440 all in.
Appreciate 1
rosstin326.50
      04-22-2017, 05:10 PM   #6
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimo View Post
did you have to increase tyre pressure ?

the only thing i keep thinking, you are screwed if tyre is busted and the crappy tyre filler doesnt work

i did think okay i can add spare wheel but that will take up premium space in my boot.
Thing with a run flat is if you use it's ability to run on flat you then have to replace it for around £200. Get a non run flat filled with slime or recovered to a garage and you likely get the damage repaired for £15. Much better in my opinion.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2017, 05:19 PM   #7
vadimo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320D X-Drive

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm still messing around with pressures. Currently got 2.5 front, 2.7 rear, but may change as feels just a little of the soft side, but I think that's just because of the softer sidewalls of the MPSS's.

Yes, that was the main thing that put me off as I liked the 'security' of being able to get somewhere safe in the unfortunate event of a puncture. I've got the slime/compressor kit, but to be honest, I'll be calling BMW assist
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Thing with a run flat is if you use it's ability to run on flat you then have to replace it for around £200. Get a non run flat filled with slime or recovered to a garage and you likely get the damage repaired for £15. Much better in my opinion.
hmm i will have to have a think, its sure does cost less to go non run flats, being told once tyre filled with slime you cant repair it and also been told if you run flat for short distance you can repair too
Current Ride: 2020 G20 M340i in Metallic Black Sapphire with Individual Full Merino Ivory White and Piano Black Trim Previous Ride1: 2014 F30 M Sport 320D X-Drive Auto, Dakota Beige Leather, M Sport Brakes, Adaptive M Suspension, Paddle Shifters, 19" 403 Alloys, Folding Mirrors, Pro Sat Nav & Harman Kardon Surround Sound. Previous Ride2: 2004 E46 M Sport 320CI Auto, Montana Beige Leather & 18" 135M Alloys.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 06:19 PM   #8
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimo View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
hmm i will have to have a think, its sure does cost less to go non run flats, being told once tyre filled with slime you cant repair it and also been told if you run flat for short distance you can repair too
Tyre filled with slime can definitely be repaired at my local tyre fitters.

If you run a run flat for any distance on zero pressure it should not be used again.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 12:26 AM   #9
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

That depends on many variables that can shorten the lifespan of the run crap e.g. Distance, driving style, speed, type of damage, extent of damage, technology used by manufacturers...

I had a RFT on an E92. I drove 100 miles at 50mph to get home.
Next day 20 miles to a trusted tyre fitter.
Tyre internals were fine. No shredding, no damage to side wall...
unfortunately it suffered another puncture... off to the nearest garage who had a policy not to repair RFT... second time lucky at a different garage who agreed to repair it and by that time it had done 50 miles on flat. Internals were fine.

I hate Bridgestones!!! They are over hyped junk. Conpare a BS rft to Michellin rft and you'll know straight away. Even compared to a non-rft they are rubbish. I cannot bash them enough.

I wonder if there is nonsense touted by dealers to drum up busines for the rft... that they cannot be repaired and should be replaced. Then again most dealers replace and don't repair. That you will invalidate your insurance yada yada yada...

I remember when we brought that car. "Run flat insurance sir that will be £1000." Playing on paranoia: "Your wife is driving home it is dark and raining would you want her to change a tyre on an abandoned road?" The first thing I taught her to do was change a tyre when we picked up a nail. Oh but no says the dealer you mustn't allow a lady to change a tyre.

Best thing I did was ditch the rft and throw in the continental tyre repair kit. The car came to life! Less rotational inertia/mass meant a little increase in mpg and suspension felt less harsh. For the price of one rft I could buy 2-3 non rft so that was all the tyre chnges taken care of. The uni royal rain sport 3 were slightly softer, less noisy and lasted 15k miles a go but still outlived the rft!

Last edited by Soul_Glo; 04-23-2017 at 12:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 04:26 AM   #10
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep

One thing I will add. I had 37,000 on the Potenza's when they came off and although all tread depths were legal across the tyres, the two fronts had started to degrade on the inside edges (visible from the inside of the tyre only).

The guy said it was due to the stiffened sidewalls putting pressure on over potholes and the like.

Drove to the station this morning and on a regular 20 mile route, the car just feels so much nicer and the 'crashey' ride is no longer there.

All in all, very pleased with the change
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 05:16 AM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
One thing I will add. I had 37,000 on the Potenza's when they came off and although all tread depths were legal across the tyres, the two fronts had started to degrade on the inside edges (visible from the inside of the tyre only).

The guy said it was due to the stiffened sidewalls putting pressure on over potholes and the like.
Not sure on the pothole comment, as potholes are not selective to the inside of a tyre. 37,000 miles a lot of 'work' on a 335d.

I'd say geometry, and how the front inside was generating more load/heat. Also an indicator the pressures were allowing more load than ideal on the sidewall. xDrive front traction will also load the inside more. Remember there is a conflict on toe with ideal RWD settings, but front drive tug.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2017, 07:46 AM   #12
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Not sure on the pothole comment, as potholes are not selective to the inside of a tyre. 37,000 miles a lot of 'work' on a 335d.

I'd say geometry, and how the front inside was generating more load/heat. Also an indicator the pressures were allowing more load than ideal on the sidewall. xDrive front traction will also load the inside more. Remember there is a conflict on toe with ideal RWD settings, but front drive tug.
I think to be honest HP, it was more of a lesson for me, that although the tyres may have looked fine from the outside, as you say, 37,000 is a fair distance and it had clearly taken its toll on them. There was no sign of uneven wear across any of the tyres, but I will get the alignment checked in the next week or so, just to back sure everything is in order.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 07:30 AM   #13
Riskypicker
Registered
Rep
Drives: F31 330D M Sport Touring

Did you have any issue with the adaptive suspension, if its on your car?

Ive got it on my F31 330D and am looking at replacing all 4 tires shortly for non run flats.

But the guy that does my changes has raised whether or not the adaptive suspension would need some sort of re-calibration?

Anyone got any input? Would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 07:39 AM   #14
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep

Mine has got adaptive and no, absolutely no issues. The only thing I'm messing around with is tyre pressures currently.

Out of interest, what are those with MPSS running on their F31's?
Edit: Have found that other 335d owners are running 2.6 all round, so I'll try that as the current 2.5/2.7 seems a little odd at the moment.

Last edited by Beancounter_74; 05-10-2017 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 09:00 AM   #15
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

The best I think I ever did with my 640d was to change to non-runflats. It is literally a night and day difference and I bought a good quality puncture / slime kit with generator just in case. But in the worst case scenario I checked with BMW and they will assist / recover.

The tyres were also 30-40% cheaper than RFT's and I went for very good quality tyres too.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 09:37 AM   #16
CazuaLLUK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Black F30 M Sport

Garage List
First thing I ever did was get rid of run flats!
Appreciate 0