F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Audi S3
ARMA SPEED

06-21-2018, 11:01 AM   #23
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossm View Post
Every Audi I have driven has had a boring chassis with atrocious understeer. I'm sure they are safe and they are sure quick and grippy in the corners, but they aren't what I would class as fun. I haven't driven the very latest S3 though but I doubt its any different these days
I've found the same in the past - couldn't believe quite how poor the previous A4 was and my point of reference at the time was an Avensis

The answer seems to lie in the first link that skyjawa posted - the nature of the Quattro system meant that they had to hang the engine further forward of the front axle line Not a great place to put weight. That doesn't apply to A3/S3 though as the transverse cars don't have true Quattro, they use a Haldex system.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 11:26 AM   #24
rossm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966-TR4 View Post
I think that's true, however the trick is to drive them as fast front wheel drive cars that don't suffer traction loss. You can't expect them to beat physics.
Well I've driven some really sorted FWD chassis over the years both on track and the road (Honda EK9, EP3, DC5, FD2, Clios from the original Williams through 172's Cups, 205 GTis etc) and they are generally much more chuckable due to lift off oversteer which goes a long way to enhance the entertainment levels. Being able to steer the car and adjust its attitude just on the throttle is wonderful and thats something you just dont get in the Audi's.

I would say you have to drive the Audi's like you drive Subaru Imprezas and Mitsubishi Evo's, just plant the throttle mid corner and hook up traction - you may end up in a 4 wheel drift but you need a lot of run off space like an airfied or track, but sadly for Audi in this respect - the Imprezas and Evos are much more fun

Just my 2ps worth anyway
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13346.00
      06-21-2018, 11:43 AM   #25
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Getting out of an S3 and into an M3 was the best move I ever made. Someone said it before on here. If you want outright luxury get a Mercedes. If you want performance and luxury get a BMW. If you want something that straddles the two and cannot get it quite right then get an Audi.

Prepared to be knocked down for that comment now.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 12:56 PM   #26
ciscopete822
Major
Rep
Drives: RS6 , 840i and others :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surg_Capt_R View Post
Getting out of an S3 and into an M3 was the best move I ever made. Someone said it before on here. If you want outright luxury get a Mercedes. If you want performance and luxury get a BMW. If you want something that straddles the two and cannot get it quite right then get an Audi.

Lol , give me new s3 and I will double your 440i on any track with more than 10 laps. This is how good new s3 is. Gimme magna ride and jb4 on that s3 and you can drive m3. Thank you. Have a lovely day. 😁
Appreciate 2
Soul_Glo13346.00
      06-21-2018, 01:16 PM   #27
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscopete822 View Post
Quote:

Lol , give me new s3 and I will double your 440i on any track with more than 10 laps. This is how good new s3 is. Gimme magna ride and jb4 on that s3 and you can drive m3. Thank you. Have a lovely day.
yes, because the 440i and S3 have similar aims.

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 01:28 PM   #28
scotgc
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 440i

Quote:

I wouldn't regard the S3 and M4 in the same league... If your going down that route your talking about RS5 - M4.

Kind of stating the obvious with that comment ?

Current - L494 Range Rover Sport
Previous - F32 440i Tanzanite Blue - F30 335d X drive Black Sapphire
- E92 330d LCI M Sport Alpine White - E92 325d M Sport - E87 120d M Sport - Mk5 Golf GTI - Ep3 Civic Type R
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13346.00
      06-21-2018, 01:38 PM   #29
scotgc
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 440i

Quote:
Quote:

Lol , give me new s3 and I will double your 440i on any track with more than 10 laps. This is how good new s3 is. Gimme magna ride and jb4 on that s3 and you can drive m3. Thank you. Have a lovely day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Quote:
Quote:

:

I currently Own both these cars I feel in a decent place to comment,

Had my 440 1.5 years - The 440i is more of a grand tourer smooth comfortable and quick (Feels massive on the road IMO), needs a bit of thought when planting the right foot in even greasy conditions.
Massively satisfying with the windows down in a tunnel

The S3 - had it 5 minutes, plant the right foot and don't worry about loosing it with the Quattro 4wd (From the test drive, launch control it doesn't have the same glorious noise as the inline 6 but it feels very fast. It feels like it's egging you on a bit more than the 440i.

Haven't really had it long enough to give much more detail Than that.

Current - L494 Range Rover Sport
Previous - F32 440i Tanzanite Blue - F30 335d X drive Black Sapphire
- E92 330d LCI M Sport Alpine White - E92 325d M Sport - E87 120d M Sport - Mk5 Golf GTI - Ep3 Civic Type R
Appreciate 2
      06-21-2018, 01:45 PM   #30
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotgc View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Quote:
Quote:

:

I currently Own both these cars I feel in a decent place to comment,

Had my 440 1.5 years - The 440i is more of a grand tourer smooth comfortable and quick (Feels massive on the road IMO), needs a bit of thought when planting the right foot in even greasy conditions.
Massively satisfying with the windows down in a tunnel

The S3 - had it 5 minutes, plant the right foot and don't worry about loosing it with the Quattro 4wd (From the test drive, launch control it doesn't have the same glorious noise as the inline 6 but it feels very fast. It feels like it's egging you on a bit more than the 440i.

Haven't really had it long enough to give much more detail Than that.
That's exactly how I imagined it cheers

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 01:59 PM   #31
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d M Sport

Thanks all, some really useful feedback and comments. Does seems that concensus is i should stick to a beemer (obvious i guess seeing as it a BMW forum...lol)

Might have to try a test drive of an S3 soon and decide for myself
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 04:04 PM   #32
antjos1
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f30 330i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panchoa View Post
Thanks all, some really useful feedback and comments. Does seems that concensus is i should stick to a beemer (obvious i guess seeing as it a BMW forum...lol)

Might have to try a test drive of an S3 soon and decide for myself
You won't be disappointed I have the new s3 saloon
And can't fault its very very fast ,launch control unreal,interior lovely place to be, lovely looking car.
I had the f30 330i msport and a nice motor it was but the s3 in my opinion is much much better.
Appreciate 0