F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > 3 Series GT Spotted Again
ARMA SPEED

06-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #23
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

Absolutely hideous. One of the few cars that looks better with the vinyl wrap on. At least they're bringing a PROPER 3er touring to the US, so we get the utility you'd expect from a wagon.

Don't get me wrong, I like hatchbacks, it's just that most hatchbacks are attractive and the BMW "GT" cars (thanks for bastardizing the name, BMW) fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

The 5GT was cannibalizing sales from the 7er (on its way to selling WORSE than the 5 Touring). I wonder what the 3GT will steal sales from.. if it sells any at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #24
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryChiu View Post
as far as China & a little bit of Hong Kong is concerned, 5GT is an enormous success, esp in china. I guess that's one of the reasons BMW keeps building them, despite the "failure" in N.A.

People got too carried away about the situation of their own country and failed to have a global perspective. BMW targets on the globe.
Nope, but thanks for playing. BMW refuses to bring cars to the US, over and over again, on the basis that they "won't sell" here. Sure, they build cars for the global market, but they only bring them to places where they think they'll sell. If they bring the 3GT to the US, it'll probably be a money-losing mistake.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #25
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

The 5er GT is now experiencing a surge in customer orders within europe because of the inclusion of the 520d GT, effectively the 520d GT was what customers were waiting for - a more affordable 5er GT.
The 5er GT's success in Asia is down to customer wanting more exclusivity over the 5er Li and the 5er GT fits that role perfectly.

We have an ex-BMW 530d GT in Neptune Blue and it is a completely mis-understood car. But it still draws looks from passer-bys. The real bonus is that interior no other car in its class can match that feeling of refinement which is akin to travelling in a Rolls-Royce.

The 3er GT aims to bring that ambience to the mid-level segment and what is good for the 3er GT is that it will be available from launch with four and six cylinders including 320d GT which will be very appealing to customers within europe, and other markets.

I still do not know if the 3er GT will come to the USA after the 5er GT has not performed as well as it should. But it will be launched in Asia,
Where the BMW 5er Touring has now been launched in what is seen as a growing market for conventional wagons or activity cars.
      06-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #26
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

i really hope any bmw buyer in NA doesnt buy those.. whenever i see a 5gt (which is rare around here) i go "when you are spending that much money on a car.. why on earth did you go 'now that is the car for me'?"
      06-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #27
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
They need to kill off this whole GT thing. Stick to coupes, verts, sedans, wagons, suvs & the 6 series Gran Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #28
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

i predict that there will be people buying this car... more so than the 5GT...

but it will not take over the main braid and butter sedan...

I understand why some people may buy this car:
novelty, new bmw customer wanting the badge, non-purist bmw drivers, higher off the ground, ease of access (for older population), etc etc...

they certainly have their reasons.... but i like my 3 series down low...

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #29
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

I wonder how many of you that bash the GT have ever sat or ridden in one? For me, it was one car that actually had enough headroom. I bash my head bending over double trying to get into a normal 5-series sedan, and the X-series aren't much better since they have taller seats.

I'm more of a function over form kind of person - it must 'work' well, looks are a nice second, if it exists. There's nothing else in the line that has this combination of 'fit' for me.

What's sad is that some of the dealers don't even stock one, so people can try one out...you can't sell something you don't have! Then, if they do get one, they option it out with everything...it can get close to or exceed $90K that way, and that is a selective market - no wonder they sit on the lot for so long!

For many people, if they actually take one out for a ride, they like it. Getting them to that point may not be that easy, especially for those dealers that don't stock one!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #30
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

So let me get this right, This is coming to US, but the 1er 3/5 door are not???
Is BMW Mad????? This 3er GT is hideous.....Unreal, i give up!!!!
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #31
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz5150 View Post
So let me get this right, This is coming to US, but the 1er 3/5 door are not???
That's what I think is so weird.. I don't mind the GT at all, I love the 5 GT for example, but it is indeed very weird they skip on the 3/5 door 1 series in the US while I can only imagine that being a nice competitor for those other hatchbacks you see more and more here.

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #32
USC2000
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

Its actually not bad. Seems like a good family car as I don't like SUVs and the wife doesn't like wagons.
      06-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #33
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@GTBPerformance View Post
It may be my anti-crossover colored glasses that are tinting my perspective on the 5GT. I am a die hard BMW Touring lover so it disappoints me to see this being served to the public instead of the spectacular F11 5 series touring.

My reference to it being a failure is not simply from a sales standpoint, personally I think it is a styling failure. I see if as a failure in the direction that BMW is headed... one where I can get a useless X1 crossover, but not an economical and practical 1 series hatch. Not to mention the car's styling is far less than flattering from most angles.

Just my .02
Rich...I agree with you on not having the option of the GT or the touring in the US market. Taiwan is a very small market of around 5000 cars per year for BMW, yet I can walk in and get 5 series sedan as either a 520d, 530d, 528i, 535i, M5, or 5 GT, and as well as the touring in either 520d, 530d, 528i. If it can be done here at such low volumes (Taiwan requires certification of every model, engine, and transmission combination available for sale), one would think it could be done in the US.

As for different buyer preferences, this is VERY true. The GT does pretty well here in Taiwan too because I think most buyers look at is an "economical" 7 series...and they do have a point...it is very luxurious inside. Another different characteristic about the greater Chinese market is that even cars like Mercedes' R-Class do well here, but are terrible sellers in so many other markets. Now, I have no idea what buyers here see in a R-Class, but there are 2 of them in my apartment parking lot as I speak. Global markets...confusing...but the reality for car buyers everywhere else is that we are going to be seeing a greater influence of Chinese-buyer preferences throughout model designs....get ready for more chrome and badges everywhere boys!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #34
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipei-TT View Post
Rich...I agree with you on not having the option of the GT or the touring in the US market. Taiwan is a very small market of around 5000 cars per year for BMW, yet I can walk in and get 5 series sedan as either a 520d, 530d, 528i, 535i, M5, or 5 GT, and as well as the touring in either 520d, 530d, 528i. If it can be done here at such low volumes (Taiwan requires certification of every model, engine, and transmission combination available for sale), one would think it could be done in the US.

As for different buyer preferences, this is VERY true. The GT does pretty well here in Taiwan too because I think most buyers look at is an "economical" 7 series...and they do have a point...it is very luxurious inside. Another different characteristic about the greater Chinese market is that even cars like Mercedes' R-Class do well here, but are terrible sellers in so many other markets. Now, I have no idea what buyers here see in a R-Class, but there are 2 of them in my apartment parking lot as I speak. Global markets...confusing...but the reality for car buyers everywhere else is that we are going to be seeing a greater influence of Chinese-buyer preferences throughout model designs....get ready for more chrome and badges everywhere boys!

Hahahaha! You make some excellent points

You can't account for taste and how cultural upbringing changes that taste. I do wish the US had what Taiwan has though, certification of all models within a given series... although I'd imagine that the cost of BMW's would go up if the roundel bosses decided to go that way.

Chrome =
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #35
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

No chrome and debadged, other than that a manufacturer should offer different products if there is a real market for them
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #36
Bimmerlover76
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Ugh... That GT is hideous... Reminds me of the Malibu Maxx and Dodge Caliber... And if I'm not mistaken, only the Malibu did "well." This GT is too much.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #37
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
I wonder how many of you that bash the GT have ever sat or ridden in one? For me, it was one car that actually had enough headroom. I bash my head bending over double trying to get into a normal 5-series sedan, and the X-series aren't much better since they have taller seats.
I think it's safe to say that the average buyer is probably not too tall for a 5er sedan, so it doesn't particularly matter if we've tried one on for size. And ultimately, unless you're (apparently?) tall, there's nothing the GT does that the wagon doesn't do. But there's plenty the wagon can do that the GT cannot.

I'm a form over function kind of guy too; I can't see why people buy sedans that take up 100% of the road space as a wagon but are vastly less useful.. but I can't see spending a massive sum of money on something so... interestingly designed.... as the GT.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #38
zzzmmm
SICK
Rep
Drives: MCB F10 M5

:b arf:

GT
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #39
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Arrow

call me crazy... i have a certain attraction to the Malibu Maxx !

for real! and i like your sign dude!

EDIT: and yes Taipei_TT makes a few great points and predictions!
and the reason for the affordability of BMWs and other luxury cars in the USA and mainly due to the reduced number of choices!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #40
Bimmerlover76
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
call me crazy... i have a certain attraction to the Malibu Maxx !

for real! and i like your sign dude!

EDIT: and yes Taipei_TT makes a few great points and predictions!
and the reason for the affordability of BMWs and other luxury cars in the USA and mainly due to the reduced number of choices!
Thanks for the compliment! You like the Malibu??!! Hey, whatever works for you.

I just think this GT is just too much. How many versions of how many lines of how many series does BMW want to make?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #41
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@GTBPerformance View Post
It may be my anti-crossover colored glasses that are tinting my perspective on the 5GT. I am a die hard BMW Touring lover so it disappoints me to see this being served to the public instead of the spectacular F11 5 series touring.

My reference to it being a failure is not simply from a sales standpoint, personally I think it is a styling failure. I see if as a failure in the direction that BMW is headed... one where I can get a useless X1 crossover, but not an economical and practical 1 series hatch. Not to mention the car's styling is far less than flattering from most angles.

Just my .02
Put your .02 with my .02 and we damn near have a nickle, because I agree with you 100%.

I don't mind if BMW offers the 3GT as long as I can buy a proper wagon. I cant WAIT for the F31 and really wish they'd bring the F11 to the States!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #42
kv12
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 540i E39, X2 F39, 330 G20

How about a quick render for the BMW 3 Series GT Sportline? There isn't going to be a lot of love for this car in North America... but with the spoiler up... surely it looks better then the Malibu Maxx and perhaps better then the 5 Series GT.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #43
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv12 View Post
How about a quick render for the BMW 3 Series GT Sportline? There isn't going to be a lot of love for this car in North America... but with the spoiler up... surely it looks better then the Malibu Maxx and perhaps better then the 5 Series GT.

I agree that render does look better than the 5GT. But I'll still take the F11 535i wagon over either any day of the week

The whole concept of the crossover hatch plays against good styling. You simply cannot make a hunchback look good! As they say, lipstick on a pig.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #44
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconti View Post
I think it's safe to say that the average buyer is probably not too tall for a 5er sedan, so it doesn't particularly matter if we've tried one on for size. And ultimately, unless you're (apparently?) tall, there's nothing the GT does that the wagon doesn't do. But there's plenty the wagon can do that the GT cannot.
The wagon does NOT have anywhere near as much headroom (or legroom) as the GT. And, if you actually drive one, it drives nicely,too. Can't see it from the driver's seat, so it works for me. But then, my first new car was a Citroen ID19, which I could wear a campaign hat it and still have lots of room. An acquired taste, but that thing would haul down a bad, rutted dirt road and other than the noise, it rode like it was on smooth pavement. The Citroen actually had a longer wheelbase, and the GT's is pretty long.
Appreciate 0