F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Car won't start after failed Bootmod3 flash
Extreme Powerhouse

03-23-2021, 10:02 PM   #23
Kbeezy86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i GC

Garage List
2017 BMW 430i GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_an_alien View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslice86 View Post
I was running BM3 stage 1 for 3months all of a sudden now it started this. My dealer updated my software the beginning of March.
What's your i-step version
I will have to check and see.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 07:56 PM   #24
hristo.p
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Xdrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hristo.p View Post
My car is 2015, out of warranty and I haven't been to the dealership in ages... some of the newer models can get updates wirelessly (dealer updating you software without you knowing) but I doubt that's the case here. I saw some other reports with the same issues, it their cars were updated at the dealer.
I have a remote session scheduled with PTF tomorrow who will look into the issue remotely.

Will keep you all posted!
I agree its unlikely its due to a software update, but let us know how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt19504 View Post
just registered to note that i am having the same problem as everyone here.

have a new m4 (2019) tried to flash on bootmod3 after unlocking the ecu and it fails at 1% and now i cannot start the car as the ecu is corrupted.
will be looking through it with bm3 support tomorrow, but not holding my breath as we all seem to have the same problem.

likely going to have to end up taking it back to bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslice86 View Post
My car is finally ready after a week of being in the shop. The dealership reached out BMW and was told the tune was bad. When I was trying to flash stage 1, it would get to 3% then crash. PTF told me the only way to get passed it was to bench unlock, I would have to send them my DME(ecu).
Although you might be having the same failed flash issue, OP's problem is likely different. You are talking about a newer model, different car, different DME, etc. Plus, OP had already flashed and been running BM3 previously.
It was a flash gone wrong kind of issue. We had the remote session and we had ESYS downloaded and ready to go, but the PTF guys just reflashed it and it worked. So I guess a couple of mistakes on my part even though I had several successful flashes prior to that.
1. Use of iPhone and not windows PC
2. Not having the car plugged every single time, particularly during that bad flash
3. Download and flash seems to be the prefer way rather than just flash now
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 10:07 PM   #25
dougt.ah3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AH3 Msport; F150 XLT

Quote:
It was a flash gone wrong kind of issue. We had the remote session and we had ESYS downloaded and ready to go, but the PTF guys just reflashed it and it worked. So I guess a couple of mistakes on my part even though I had several successful flashes prior to that.
2. Not having the car plugged every single time, particularly during that bad flash
Don't be hard on yourself. I had the same issue and I use a Windows Laptop and have always used a battery charger. Downloading the flash first and then flashing solved my issue too.
2022 K1600B
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 11:49 AM   #26
snipagang
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 320i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
I had my car serviced recently and I think the dealership might have coded some errors out and updated the dme. I am about to do stage 1 tune for the first time, am I at risk for screwing up my car? I had my car at the dealer like a week ago...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 12:31 PM   #27
hristo.p
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Xdrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipagang View Post
Quote:
I had my car serviced recently and I think the dealership might have coded some errors out and updated the dme. I am about to do stage 1 tune for the first time, am I at risk for screwing up my car? I had my car at the dealer like a week ago...
I think so! Check with OP, my issue was different
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 02:16 PM   #28
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipagang View Post
If you are concerned, contact PTF support prior to flashing to confirm compatibility with your hardware and software versions.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 01:10 PM   #29
snipagang
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 320i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
If you are concerned, contact PTF support prior to flashing to confirm compatibility with your hardware and software versions.
That is what I am doing now. I will be so annoyed if that is the case since I just bought and committed to flashing the car. How long does it usually take them to update the tunes so they work with newer software.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 12:28 AM   #30
Dazznz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 428i f32

Hi guys

New to the BMW and bm3 world.
This was my 1st flash attempt.

I got my ots map and went to flash, got the error
"flash successful but coding failed to apply"
I tied to revert to the original tune but having the same results

I now have a dash full of errors and malfunctions, and the car won't start.
I have launched a ticked with PTF and super confident they can sort me out but unfortunately I'm in Australia and they are not available until 11pm my time Monday at the earliest.

I'm wondering if anyone has had the same issue and how it was resolved?

Car is a 2013 f32 428i with the n20
Lights and fan were off,
Seatbelt plugged in,
25amp charger connected to a brand new battery (to be safe and as per instructions)

I apologize in advance if I've posted this in the incorrect place, very new at forums as well lol

Thanks in advance for any advice
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 05:13 PM   #31
okla_m2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
Ran into this issue today. Was going from a Stage 1 91 BM3 tune to Stage 2 93.

Issue seemed to have been the physical adapter I was using. Would NOT recommend using the USB/Ethernet adapter that comes with the BM3 kit. I've ran into issues using this adapter w/ detecting the OBD agent, both with my iPhone and with my Macbook. At a certain point, I was able to get to ~70% complete but the flash failed. Wasn't able to turn on the ignition after that. Ended up borrowing my gf's car and ran out to best buy to get a different adapter.

The OBD II Ethernet (yellow) cable is fine, however, would recommend going to Best Buy or Amazon and getting the Insignia USB-C to Ethernet adapter and flashing via laptop using the pre-downloaded map.

Happy flashing.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 10:06 PM   #32
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazznz View Post
Hi guys

New to the BMW and bm3 world.
This was my 1st flash attempt.

I got my ots map and went to flash, got the error
"flash successful but coding failed to apply"
I tied to revert to the original tune but having the same results

I now have a dash full of errors and malfunctions, and the car won't start.
I have launched a ticked with PTF and super confident they can sort me out but unfortunately I'm in Australia and they are not available until 11pm my time Monday at the earliest.

I'm wondering if anyone has had the same issue and how it was resolved?

Car is a 2013 f32 428i with the n20
Lights and fan were off,
Seatbelt plugged in,
25amp charger connected to a brand new battery (to be safe and as per instructions)

I apologize in advance if I've posted this in the incorrect place, very new at forums as well lol

Thanks in advance for any advice

So it ended up needing a basically full flash. I had to pay a coder to do it.
I think it was the Andream unit that was making things wonky as this was before Bootmod added that ticker box for people that have the MMI in between.
      09-11-2021, 03:08 PM   #33
christivn11
Registered
Rep
Drives: M240

BM3

i have a m240 i have been running stage 2 93 octane for over a month or so just went to change the config and the flash didnt go through. skipped the flash and went straight to clearing codes. tried to go back to stock flash and same thing. my car currently wont turn on. ive tried to flash with phone and with laptop and got the same results. tried all the tricks disconnecting battery, ect. unsure what to do. also ran a trans flash and that was successfull. loaded up to 100% and cleared codes. but car still has all the codes and wont turn over. stuck in ignition mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 05:00 PM   #34
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by christivn11 View Post
i have a m240 i have been running stage 2 93 octane for over a month or so just went to change the config and the flash didnt go through. skipped the flash and went straight to clearing codes. tried to go back to stock flash and same thing. my car currently wont turn on. ive tried to flash with phone and with laptop and got the same results. tried all the tricks disconnecting battery, ect. unsure what to do. also ran a trans flash and that was successfull. loaded up to 100% and cleared codes. but car still has all the codes and wont turn over. stuck in ignition mode.
Battery charger on?

Best bet is to contact support. I assume you havent been to the dealer or had any software updates since the last flash?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 04:26 PM   #35
tauzins
Wing Chun Shifter Speed
Rep
Drives: 2015 Tanz M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chhappy7 View Post
So it ended up needing a basically full flash. I had to pay a coder to do it.
I think it was the Andream unit that was making things wonky as this was before Bootmod added that ticker box for people that have the MMI in between.
where do you see a check box? i dont seem to have one on mine and im having flashing issues atm.

Totaled:F30 335i | ER Chargepipe | ER Down-Pipe | Wagner Intercooler | BMS Intake | Meisterschaft Exhaust | MHD BEF JB4 Map 3 / 30% e85 / 50/50 Meth
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 08:40 AM   #36
M2_PLS
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT/2017 Hyundai Azera

Quote:
Originally Posted by chhappy7 View Post
Well, it wasn't the battery.
Bootmod support suggested it was a faulty ENET cable so I ordered one but ZGW Search tool was able to the car just fine.
So upon doing some searching it seems on bootmod3 enthusiast facebook group, Zed coding seems to have helped many people recover from something similar to what I experienced, and so I reached out.
And now within 4 hours of contacting him, my Yanny is back to life!
Albeit with a stock tune, but I think I'm going to keep Yanny in the current form for now.

Here is link to the fb. It took Zed an hour plus but it finally worked!
https://www.facebook.com/zedcoding/
So you were able to sort out this issue by contacting Zed on FB? If u don't mind me asking, can you please tell me how much the session cost you? I ran into a similar issue and I just emailed PTF regarding this.
As for me, my car just died even though my car was on a battery charger and even though I had my seatbelt on while I was flashing my car back to stock and now I can't start my car (I can only go into accessory mode) nor flash another tune on it and I have a bunch of codes on my dash...
It's not a connection issue either because I can reset my DME and open or close my exhaust valves but I can't seem to read my DME...
I initially used my galaxy note 9 to flash my tune but I might try and use my laptop and download my tune and then flash it afterward to see if that helps...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 08:35 AM   #37
g01m40ighost
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40I

I need help

I decided I wanted to go stage two with my x3m40i 2018, installed a VRSF downpipe installed new spark plugs and went with the flash. About 65% in the flash failed:/ we tried to flash it again but I can't connect to the dme no matter what I try. Car doesn't start just goes in accessory mode no communication with the dme and it's been about a week. If anyone knows what I can do to fix this that would be amazing. Btw I didn't get a message saying the car needed to be bench unlocked.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 11:28 AM   #38
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g01m40ighost View Post
I decided I wanted to go stage two with my x3m40i 2018, installed a VRSF downpipe installed new spark plugs and went with the flash. About 65% in the flash failed:/ we tried to flash it again but I can't connect to the dme no matter what I try. Car doesn't start just goes in accessory mode no communication with the dme and it's been about a week. If anyone knows what I can do to fix this that would be amazing. Btw I didn't get a message saying the car needed to be bench unlocked.
Did you have it on a charger?

Contact BM3 support...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 09:05 PM   #39
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
You fix it by contact protuning freaks and talking to them like it tells you to.. email tech support man
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 10:17 PM   #40
Icarium81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018, 330i xdrive

Is it just me or are there nothing but a lot of problems to be opened up by TRYING to flash your car?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 02:36 AM   #41
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarium81 View Post
Is it just me or are there nothing but a lot of problems to be opened up by TRYING to flash your car?
Yes. I have a lot of traction problems after the flash.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 05:08 PM   #42
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2_PLS View Post
So you were able to sort out this issue by contacting Zed on FB? If u don't mind me asking, can you please tell me how much the session cost you? I ran into a similar issue and I just emailed PTF regarding this.
As for me, my car just died even though my car was on a battery charger and even though I had my seatbelt on while I was flashing my car back to stock and now I can't start my car (I can only go into accessory mode) nor flash another tune on it and I have a bunch of codes on my dash...
It's not a connection issue either because I can reset my DME and open or close my exhaust valves but I can't seem to read my DME...
I initially used my galaxy note 9 to flash my tune but I might try and use my laptop and download my tune and then flash it afterward to see if that helps...
tbh I don't quite remember but it was not a lot at all. Definitely not in teh 100s
      03-04-2022, 10:51 AM   #43
g01m40ighost
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40I

i want to revive this thread, i have a 2018 x3m40i went to flash stage two 93 oct bm3 flash was at like 65% failed didnt start did everything possible to try and bring it back couldnt even connect to dme on any device had to bring it in to bmw they reprogrammed it and now it works... but i still have the tune idk was this a one off situation and try to do it again with bm3 support on the side while i do it, i didnt get a warning saying anything about it requiring bench unlock i have spoke with some local tuners and half of them say i need to bench unlock it cus it was at a dealership other half say no. and i was on bm3 support originally they said it wasnt a bm3 and couldnt do anything to help
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 11:46 AM   #44
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
i want to revive this thread, i have a 2018 x3m40i went to flash stage two 93 oct bm3 flash was at like 65% failed didnt start did everything possible to try and bring it back couldnt even connect to dme on any device had to bring it in to bmw they reprogrammed it and now it works... but i still have the tune idk was this a one off situation and try to do it again with bm3 support on the side while i do it, i didnt get a warning saying anything about it requiring bench unlock i have spoke with some local tuners and half of them say i need to bench unlock it cus it was at a dealership other half say no. and i was on bm3 support originally they said it wasnt a bm3 and couldnt do anything to help
BM3 should be able to confirm based on your current software version whether or not you need a bench unlock. also make sure you follow all other procedures with battery charger, seatbelt, etc etc
Appreciate 0