F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > If you want to feel how a BMW should drive, go test the new Camaro
Studio RSR

02-05-2016, 02:52 PM   #1
the_phew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 GTI 6MT, was 320i ZSP/ZMT

If you want to feel how a BMW should drive, go test the new Camaro

On a lark, I stopped by the Chevy dealer to test drive the new Camaro. It was the first '16 they've gotten, a grey over black 2LT 6MT (the LGX V6 with 335 HP). It was a pretty eye-opening experience:

-The steering wheel has a tiny diameter and the steering in general has perfect weight/feedback
-The chassis is very taught and engaging without being overly stiff
-The LGX makes beautiful noises, no fake pumped-in engine sounds required. Some nice pops/burbles from the exhaust on overrun as well
-I had forgotten how great the throttle response can be with a sporty n/a engine. Even tuned, the N20 responds almost like a diesel in comparison (low end torque and all)
-The 6MT is much more mechanical than the rubbery BMW shifter; it takes a bit more effort, but engagement is very crisp

My F30 felt like everything (steering, shifter, throttle pedal, chassis) was in a bowl of pudding after the Camaro test drive, and I have the Sport Package. Overall, it drove closer to an E46 M3 than any recent American muscle car I've driven. At least it's proof that automakers can still make affordable, mainstream cars that are engaging to drive! If the Caddy ATS offered this V6 with the 6MT and updated that gauge cluster from a '94 Cavalier, I don't think I'd even consider an F3x.

P.S.-I know the Camaro has blind spots the size of Texas, smaller windows than a tank, a back seat only suitable for small children, interior/exterior styling clearly aimed at a 14 yr old boy, mullet stigma, etc etc etc. None of those things have anything to do with the fact that GM made a car that offers more driving engagement than any current BMW, and it comes pretty well-equipped for $30k, and offers M4-level performance starting at $37k.
Appreciate 3
      02-05-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Isn't caddy putting that v6 in it next year?

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 03:04 PM   #3
the_phew
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
Isn't caddy putting that v6 in it next year?
I think it has it now for the 2016 model year, but they only offer the manual with the 2L turbo. By all accounts, that Ecotec engine is pretty thrashy and inefficient compared to the N20, so the upcoming B48 probably severely outclasses it.

If I'm going the turbo 4 route, I'll trust the Germans (since they are so far ahead in turbo technology). But this LGX and obviously the LT1 are best-of-breed when it comes to n/a engines.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 03:09 PM   #4
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
I'm sure GM is loving the comparison. The GC greenhouse is nothing to brag about either so I doubt a Camaro's view out is all that much worse. Even the GM turbo 2.0L 4 banger puts out a healthy 270HP or so. Pull up to a nice restaurant in a BMW and it might find a way to be out front with the rest. You can be sure the Camaro gets street duty or relegated to the back, though lol...(after the Valet takes some life off the tires..)
      02-05-2016, 03:12 PM   #5
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_phew View Post
On a lark, I stopped by the Chevy dealer to test drive the new Camaro. It was the first '16 they've gotten, a grey over black 2LT 6MT (the LGX V6 with 335 HP). It was a pretty eye-opening experience:

-The steering wheel has a tiny diameter and the steering in general has perfect weight/feedback
-The LGX makes beautiful noises, no fake pumped-in engine sounds required. Some nice pops/burbles from the exhaust on overrun as well
-I had forgotten how great the throttle response can be with a sporty n/a engine. Even tuned, the N20 responds almost like a diesel in comparison (low end torque and all)
-The 6MT is much more mechanical than the rubbery BMW shifter; it takes a bit more effort, but engagement is very crisp

My F30 felt like everything (steering, shifter, throttle pedal, chassis) was in a bowl of pudding after the Camaro test drive, and I have the Sport Package. Overall, it drove closer to an E46 M3 than any recent American muscle car I've driven. At least it's proof that automakers can still make affordable, mainstream cars that are engaging to drive! If the Caddy ATS offered this V6 with the 6MT and updated that gauge cluster from a '94 Cavalier, I don't think I'd even consider an F3x.

P.S.-I know the Camaro has blind spots the size of Texas, smaller windows than a tank, a back seat only suitable for small children, interior/exterior styling clearly aimed at a 14 yr old boy, mullet stigma, etc etc etc. None of those things have anything to do with the fact that GM made a car that offers more driving engagement than any current BMW, and it comes pretty well-equipped for $30k, and offers M4-level performance starting at $37k.
Does it have magnetic suspension?!? One i drove a few years back felt like overly tight suspension which was not pleasant at any speed.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 03:19 PM   #6
the_phew
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_335
Quote:

Does it have magnetic suspension?!? One i drove a few years back felt like overly tight suspension which was not pleasant at any speed.
I don't think MRC is offered on the V6. We have good roads here, so I don't usually think any vehicle rides poorly.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 03:26 PM   #7
the_phew
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDave View Post
Pull up to a nice restaurant in a BMW and it might find a way to be out front with the rest. You can be sure the Camaro gets street duty or relegated to the back, though lol...(after the Valet takes some life off the tires..)
If I ever care more about where some minimum-wage teenager parks my car than how engaging it is to drive, I'll officially abandon any notion that I'm a driving enthusiast and take up knitting or something.

Your post didn't do anything to dispel stereotypes about SoCal residents or BMW owners
Appreciate 7
      02-05-2016, 03:30 PM   #8
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

If I were going to get a Camaro, I'd rather shove a q-tip into my eye before I got a V6.

V8 or bust, it's a muscle car (or I guess pony car).
Appreciate 7
      02-05-2016, 03:33 PM   #9
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If I ever care more about where some minimum-wage teenager parks my car than how engaging it is to drive, I'll officially abandon any notion that I'm a driving enthusiast and take up knitting or something.

Your post didn't do anything to dispel stereotypes about SoCal residents or BMW owners
LOL. Which stereotypes? Here, BMWs are a dime a dozen on the roads. I said it MIGHT find a way to stay in the front (was tongue in cheek given how common the cars are here.) Take a look at my garage bro..I have a GM car I've had for 20yrs. LOVE it. I doubt I'll keep my current BMW that long.

No way in hell a minimum wage earner touches any of my cars. I NEVER valet park. I'll park and walk to a restaurant. I've never cared about rolling up to an entrance with the thought that it was 'cool'. I may drop wife.com off first if she's in heels though .

That better to dispel the myths you brought up?
      02-05-2016, 03:34 PM   #10
the_phew
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis
If I were going to get a Camaro, I'd rather shove a q-tip into my eye before I got a V6.

Agreed, but they didn't have an SS to test. I was just commenting on how engaging it was to drive; the SS probably retains the sublime chassis feedback while adding better noises and gut-wrenching acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 03:34 PM   #11
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post

Pricing is like getting a x28 vs a x35. The engine bump is about $3-4K..but I agree with you..if I was getting a Camaro, it would be full on SS /LT1 equipped.
      02-05-2016, 03:39 PM   #12
Fender150
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Try a 335 6mt with just a stage 1 jb
Appreciate 2
      02-05-2016, 03:46 PM   #13
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

These threads are great on so many levels.
      02-05-2016, 03:48 PM   #14
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

I'd rather get the bus than drive one of these
      02-05-2016, 03:55 PM   #15
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agreed, but they didn't have an SS to test. I was just commenting on how engaging it was to drive; the SS probably retains the sublime chassis feedback while adding better noises and gut-wrenching acceleration.
Got it.

I mean I know the NA V6 is a good motor, but I don't think I'd describe it's acceleration as "gut-wrenching". I guess that's also because my car accelerates faster than one.

I have read nothing but glowing reviews for the driving dynamics though.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 03:56 PM   #16
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The new chassis (Alpha) used on the Camaro is pretty state of the art. The LT1 is one of the best engines available and MRC is topnotch. There's nothing wrong with the car from a mechanical standpoint whatsover.
      02-05-2016, 03:58 PM   #17
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Got it.

I mean I know the NA V6 is a good motor, but I don't think I'd describe it's acceleration as "gut-wrenching". I guess that's also because my car accelerates faster than one.

I have read nothing but glowing reviews for the driving dynamics though.
323hp and 278lb/tq isn't bad...but I'll agree..the torque numbers are just 'ok'.
      02-05-2016, 03:59 PM   #18
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The new chassis (Alpha) used on the Camaro is pretty state of the art. The LT1 is one of the best engines available and MRC is topnotch. There's nothing wrong with the car from a mechanical standpoint whatsover.
That applies to pretty much every sporty GM car. It just sucks that they can nail the driving dynamics but fail so miserably in other aspects of the car.

Just a few examples:
-Camaro: You have a better field of vision of your surroundings from a submarine.
-Cadillac ATS: Gauges plucked from a Cavalier. Back seats are suitable for paraplegics only (Camaro is worse but no one buys a Camaro or Mustang thinking "This will be a great car to transport people in!"). Interior designers thought it was a great idea to cover the touch sensitive center stack of the ATS a glossy black material because they figured owners would love to see their interior covered in fingerprints. And the overall shittiness of CUE (I guess I can give that a pass, I avoided the E90 years ago because iDrive made me want to punt a child).
-Corvette: I can never get over the styling. The car already looks like it's been around for 10 years.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2016, 04:04 PM   #19
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:

.....My F30 felt like everything (steering, shifter, throttle pedal, chassis) was in a bowl of pudding after the Camaro test drive, and I have the Sport Package. Overall, it drove closer to an E46 M3 than any recent American muscle car I've driven. At least it's proof that automakers can still make affordable, mainstream cars that are engaging to drive! If the Caddy ATS offered this V6 with the 6MT and updated that gauge cluster from a '94 Cavalier, I don't think I'd even consider an F3x.
Does it drive like any non-M BMW you've ever driven?
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

02-05-2016, 04:04 PM   #20
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That applies to pretty much every sporty GM car. It just sucks that they can nail the driving dynamics but fail so miserably in other aspects of the car.

Just a few examples:
-Camaro: You have a better field of vision of your surroundings from a submarine.
-Cadillac ATS: Gauges plucked from a Cavalier. Back seats are suitable for paraplegics only (Camaro is worse but no one buys a Camaro or Mustang thinking "This will be a great car to transport people in!"). Interior designers thought it was a great idea to cover the touch sensitive center stack of the ATS a glossy black material because they figured owners would love to see their interior covered in fingerprints. And the overall shittiness of CUE (I guess I can give that a pass, I avoided the E90 years ago because iDrive made me want to punt a child).
-Corvette: I can never get over the styling. The car already looks like it's been around for 10 years.
I have burlwood in my GC...it shows fingerprints in the gloss pretty easily. I just use a microfiber and wipe it clean . I love the ATS-V car but haven't sat in one. IF the dash is that bad, I'd pass too. The view out the back of a GC isn't anything to brag about and the side mirrors are shaped so that your view isn't great either as they care kind of narrow. You get used to it lol.
      02-05-2016, 04:05 PM   #21
the_phew
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
323hp and 278lb/tq isn't bad...but I'll agree..the torque numbers are just 'ok'.
I didn't think the V6 Camaro felt particularly fast or anything; around town it accelerates about the same as my 320i (I have the BMS Stage 1 @ 4psi, so about 230whp, but way more torque than the LGX at cruising RPMs). But the throttle response, engine/exhaust sounds, steering, shifter, chassis, etc were all so much crisper than the F3x.

Sorry about the stereotype comment; I thought you were being serious about the valet thing (a la BJ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Does it drive like any non-M BMW you've ever driven?
Non-M? I never drove an E46 330i ZHP, but people said it was very M-like in feedback/engagement, so I would probably say that if I'd ever driven one. The steering and throttle response reminded me a bit of a 996 (the last P-car I've driven), although Porsche dials everything up a notch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender150 View Post
Try a 335 6mt with just a stage 1 jb
I don't see how that would do anything about the numb steering/chassis/shifter. Unless you are talking about the E9x with the N54, then at least you'd have comparable steering and some engagement from the chassis.

Last edited by the_phew; 02-05-2016 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 04:06 PM   #22
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have burlwood in my GC...it shows fingerprints in the gloss pretty easily. I just use a microfiber and wipe it clean . I love the ATS-V car but haven't sat in one. IF the dash is that bad, I'd pass too. The view out the back of a GC isn't anything to brag about and the side mirrors are shaped so that your view isn't great either as they care kind of narrow. You get used to it lol.
Yeah but you don't have to actually touch it to do anything. In the ATS, all of the controls are touch sensitive.

Imagine if the actual buttons attracted fingerprints. I've sat in one at an auto show and it was littered in fingerprints. Sitting in one gave me anxiety.
Appreciate 0