F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Angel Eyes On or Off?
proTUNING Freaks
View Poll Results: Do you keep your angel eyes (DRLs) turned on or off?
I keep them turned ON. 116 89.23%
I have them turned OFF. 8 6.15%
I don't have angel eyes on my car. 6 4.62%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

05-04-2019, 03:33 PM   #45
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
All the more reason to use the DRLs if you have a black car. My preference is white btw. I have a white and a grey bimmer.
You are not following the logic of the poster I quoted. To extend his logic, we would be criminally liable if we didn't have a 'fire engine yellow' car with flashing lights on top.

Hey, the study posted said 5-10% visibility improvement, in dark Minnesota, in 2006 or so, when mostly motorcycles ran DRLs. So now with so many more vehicles running DRLs, they are just part of the background & add less uniqueness & safety.

I prefer less passive safety, & I think 'angel eyes' look a bit precious. But with so many people buying dull colored cars, if that is what makes you feel safe....
I would rather run my parking lights, when needed.

"Nice try but not a good analogy. The DRLs are a safety feature, the color of a car is not."
Are you kidding me? Were you really born yesterday?

Murf
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 03:45 PM   #46
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Quote:
All the more reason to use the DRLs if you have a black car. My preference is white btw. I have a white and a grey bimmer.
You are not following the logic of the poster I quoted. To extend his logic, we would be criminally liable if we didn't have a 'fire engine yellow' car with flashing lights on top.

Hey, the study posted said 5-10% visibility improvement, in dark Minnesota, in 2006 or so, when mostly motorcycles ran DRLs. So now with so many more vehicles running DRLs, they are just part of the background & add less uniqueness & safety.

I prefer less passive safety, & I think 'angel eyes' look a bit precious. But with so many people buying dull colored cars, if that is what makes you feel safe....

"Nice try but not a good analogy. The DRLs are a safety feature, the color of a car is not."

Murf

If you run DRLs then it will make the car safer regardless of the color. I'm not sure why "precious" angel eyes which make the car slightly more safe should be disabled. It is completely reasonable to keep them on. It's not reasonable to regulate car colors.

I was probably born much earlier than you kiddo. I'm not the one arguing against leaving a light on for something as trivial as vanity.

Your argument that DRLs are just part of the background because they are now on cars make no sense. Having no DRLs whatsoever makes cars blend into the background to a greater extent.

Honestly it sounds like you are just making stuff up. If you don't like how they look, or think they look precious-you probably meant pretentious- then that's your vanity which should take a back seat to safety for something as easy and painless as a DRL. like I said, you can't tell people not to buy certain colors, but you can flip a switch to turn on a light.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 03:59 PM   #47
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
... It reasonable to regulate car colors.

I was probably born much earlier than you kiddo. I'm not the one arguing against leaving a light on for something as trivial as vanity.
OK....
Done

"...think they look precious-you probably meant pretentious...."

No, I mean "precious". As in "cute".

Last edited by Littlebear; 05-05-2019 at 06:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 04:05 PM   #48
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
... It reasonable to regulate car colors.

OK....
Done
You caught me in the middle of an edit with a bunch of typos. Please read again.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 04:11 PM   #49
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Quote:
What if you buy a black car instead of a red car? You could have bought the more visible car, but no....

Murf
A black car can be covered in salsa, thus negating your point.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 04:13 PM   #50
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you run DRLs then it will make the car safer regardless of the color.

I think most states have adopted a "cars after whatever_year must run DRL's".

So you have a choice, but you might be breakin' the law, breakin' the law.

Then there's that whole salsa thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 04:16 PM   #51
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:
What if you buy a black car instead of a red car? You could have bought the more visible car, but no....

Murf
Nice try but not a good analogy. The DRLs are a safety feature, the color of a car is not.

I am not arguing whether the DRLs add to safety, merely that having them and not using them could hurt your legal position should you get in an accident.
Agreed. Seems childish to even argue about it. Littlebear's reasoning is that since we don't regulate car colors for safety, then the safety of DRLs can be ignored. These are two completely different components of safety with differing levels of convenience and practicality. In this case, DRLs can even help the visibility of less visible colors. It's really baffling what the logic is.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 05:16 PM   #52
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agreed. Seems childish to even argue about it. Littlebear's reasoning is that since we don't regulate car colors for safety, then the safety of DRLs can be ignored.
Not my reasoning at all.
This thread is about whether one runs 'angel eyes' or not. I said no, too much like male jewelry (a Mercedes exec equated all the flashy bits on their cars as being this). Then I disputed the relevance of DRL tests done in the far north, when even they show minimal safety gains in daytime conditions. Also, that you can choose other ways to make your car just as visible if you desire another route, which may be better.
Then I gave info on how eyes generally don't respond as well to pinpoint light sources compared to natural lighting. The easiest example is how deer do not process the movement of light well, often freezing, while they would run from a 'naturally' lit object more readily. Hominids too to a certain degree.
Then I referred to the well know reason why fire engines are red (or yellow).

Then I said do what you want , or, of course, you can enlist the government to make choices for you.
But my car has this little switch that varies the outside lighting, suitable to conditions. I don't have to annoy other drivers all the time (like the gov often does)!

Murf

Last edited by Littlebear; 05-04-2019 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 05:32 PM   #53
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Murf
Dark MN requires lighting on. DRL's appear to be optional during regular normal days.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/169.48

What were you all arguing about again? Cats in tacos with raccoons watching?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 05:36 PM   #54
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post
Dark MN requires lighting on. DRL's appear to be optional during regular normal days.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/169.48

What were you all arguing about again? Cats in tacos with raccoons watching?
Exactly.

Last edited by Littlebear; 10-30-2021 at 06:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 05:44 PM   #55
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Exactly.

I'm glad you agree with the cats and raccoons.

BTW I leave my DRL's enabled. But nobody cares until I start flashing the slow guy in the left lane on the freeway.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 06:14 PM   #56
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post
I'm glad you agree with the cats and raccoons.

BTW I leave my DRL's enabled. But nobody cares until I start flashing the slow guy in the left lane on the freeway.
"Whatever gets you through the night, it's all right..."
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 06:32 PM   #57
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Agreed. Seems childish to even argue about it. Littlebear's reasoning is that since we don't regulate car colors for safety, then the safety of DRLs can be ignored.
Not my reasoning at all.
This thread is about whether one runs 'angel eyes' or not. I said no, too much like male jewelry (a Mercedes exec equated all the flashy bits on their cars as being this). Then I disputed the relevance of DRL tests done in the far north, when even they show minimal safety gains in daytime conditions. Also, that you can choose other ways to make your car just as visible if you desire another route, which may be better.
Then I gave info on how eyes generally don't respond as well to pinpoint light sources compared to natural lighting. The easiest example is how deer do not process the movement of light well, often freezing, while they would run from a 'naturally' lit object more readily. Hominids too to a certain degree.
Then I referred to the well know reason why fire engines are red (or yellow).

Then I said do what you want , or, of course, you can enlist the government to make choices for you.
But my car has this little switch that varies the outside lighting, suitable to conditions. I don't have to annoy other drivers all the time (like the gov often does)!

Murf
So now DRLs are unsafe because we are all like deer. Okay buddy, whatever you think justifies your strange logic. Male jewelery, really? That's the reason why you take the effort to turn something off that adds safety for minimal effort? You do what you want. Darwinism at its finest.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 06:52 PM   #58
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
... That's the reason why you take the effort to turn something off that adds safety for minimal effort? You do what you want. Darwinism at its finest.
Yo, drive 55 to stay alive.
I'm sure you do.
What color is your car, pls?*

*In the old days, like before DRLs, they had studies to see what color cars are safest.

Murf

PS: JMG, my name is Murf, or Littlebear, or Tom, but not "buddy", pls!

Last edited by Littlebear; 05-04-2019 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 07:11 PM   #59
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
... That's the reason why you take the effort to turn something off that adds safety for minimal effort? You do what you want. Darwinism at its finest.
Yo, drive 55 to stay alive.
I'm sure you do.
What color is your car, pls?*

*In the old days, like before DRLs, they had studies to see what color cars are safest.

Murf

PS: JMG, my name is Murf, or Littlebear, or Tom, but not "buddy", pls!
I drive 55 when the flow of traffic limits me to 55. Im certainly not turning my DRLs off because I don't like the name "angel eyes". That's asinine.

Again, the color of the car is an entirely different discussion since DRLs are much easier to implement, come standard with most new cars, actually help the visibility of darker colored cars, and can be turned on and off. You can't change car colors through your iDrive can you?

I have 5 cars. What color do you want? I have 2 white ones, a lime rock grey, and a blue one.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 07:17 PM   #60
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
... and can be turned on and off....

I have 5 cars. What color do you want? I have 2 white ones, a lime rock grey, and a blue one.
Why are you arguing with me, pls?
Like I said, I'll go my way you go yours.

Be safe, Murf
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 07:21 PM   #61
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Be safe, Murf
Why are you poking the bear?

I cover my silver bmw with salsa now, because you said it's safer. Thanks man!

I even keep a visible raccoon in the trunk (F31).
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 07:59 PM   #62
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
... and can be turned on and off....

Be safe, Murf
You asked a question. I answered. :

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 08:31 PM   #63
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Remind me not to do that again.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 08:43 PM   #64
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Remind me not to do that again.
It's not my job to keep you in check.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 09:13 PM   #65
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

I will tell you all two thing's, the first thing is it don't get no darker here in Minnesota than it does anywhere else and the second thing is Duane Allman never said "I'm no angel. Let me show you my tatoos....", that was Greg and technically speaking it's spelled "Tattoos". edit: which probably makes it three things I've told you, if we're still being technical that is?

Last edited by Beek; 05-04-2019 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 12:01 AM   #66
learntocode
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

[x] I have them turned OFF.

Prolong the angel eyes(DRL) to last longer.
Appreciate 0