F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 435i M Sport 0-60mph in 5.2 secs in Apr '14 Car & Driver, loses again this time to S5
Extreme Powerhouse

02-28-2014, 08:05 AM   #45
Alessandro
Major
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

Garage List
2011 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastoys View Post
The n55 motor is "technically" a 7 year old design with just one evolution 3 years ago from the n54 - like the s4. I find it interesting that some magazines are seeing high 4 seconds for the 8sp auto in the n55 motor configuration with a 4.4 when ppk installed for 0 to 60.

I did find it odd that BMW did not bump power 10% for the new F30/31/32 and it may appear to hurt them especially when the Audi S3 for $45k will have 300hp 2.0 for banger.
+1 indeed
08 E92 335i FBO 6MT 427 whp space grey
05 E46 M3 red
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 08:15 AM   #46
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_hf View Post
The S5 is basicly an S car, just like the RS.
The 435i is a standard car, not M-performance, not M. And dressing up a monkey doesn't make it king kong either. Not surprised. Test drive the non S audi's and Judge again. Hmm FWD 3 litre manual tranny non S audi? No thanks. Then again, there's no M435i available, only the M4 which costs more. Speccing the 435i with M pack, LSD, M brakes and M performance still doesn't make it M.
Sore loser. Hilarious. Tested against 435 xdrive it would have done worse. Endless chest pounding every year when C&D comes out with their 10 Best list. Its a fuc*&^% car that you guys had no hand in designing or producing and it got wacked in an independent test. So what. If you like the 435 then buy it. So defensive.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 08:33 AM   #47
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

I think the comparison just shows again that people think the m-sport models are something special, when it's really just a sportline wearing the emperor's new clothes. We've seen other comparisons where the reviewer says something like, "We're using the biggest, baddest 3-series model, the m-sport version...." When we all know that as far as performance it's not any different from a sportline.

BMW really should have included the MPPK and m-perf suspension with the m-sport instead of making it purely an aero/looks package. MPPK isn't even shown on the website; probably only 1% of the people buying an F30 have even heard of it.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 09:36 AM   #48
Mik3ymomo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive

I drove the S5 and the 435xi Msport. The S5 was Manual and 435xi was 8AT. Audi felt like a bloated slow old ladies car. Maybe I just test drove one that fell off the boat on the way over and they fished it out and salvaged it.
There really wasn't any question which was the better car.

Maybe some people like driving Miss Daisy. Can't fault them for that.

What's the median age in the Netherlands anyway?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #49
ToyotaBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Whitetintedwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik3ymomo View Post
I drove the S5 and the 435xi Msport. The S5 was Manual and 435xi was 8AT. Audi felt like a bloated slow old ladies car. Maybe I just test drove one that fell off the boat on the way over and they fished it out and salvaged it.

Well it obviously isn't since in most if not all tests the S5 is as quick if not quicker than the 435. What you feel and what is actual may be different. You may feel it is slower because maybe it has better insulation so the car might be quieter hence you feel it is slower. It could also be that the torque curve may be flatter hence you feel it is slower. Turbo cars always make it feel faster because of the slight lag and then a rush of torque.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 10:16 AM   #50
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:

Lol, come on man, did you sit in Pete's car at the track?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 10:24 AM   #51
Mik3ymomo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaBMW View Post
Well it obviously isn't since in most if not all tests the S5 is as quick if not quicker than the 435. What you feel and what is actual may be different. You may feel it is slower because maybe it has better insulation so the car might be quieter hence you feel it is slower. It could also be that the torque curve may be flatter hence you feel it is slower. Turbo cars always make it feel faster because of the slight lag and then a rush of torque.
My car is considerably faster.. How do we account for that? And my drive in the Audi is also real world. Its also a better comparison of an AWD vs an AWD car.
What else is there to go on?
Their test is flawed by at least not running a 435xi against the Audi.

I've proven my point at the track already. There really isn't an argument.

Not speaking to you specifically as you are just pointing out C&D's flawed results but we have a saying in my circles about such debates...

"Run your car...not your mouth."
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #52
insanediego
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i (on order)

Residual is 63% or $37,311. $5,150 off MSRP is selling price. If i take out the first month of the $3k down, it would be another $66 or so per month, so closer to $700.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastoys View Post
What was your residual? I am leasing mine for $750 with just first month payment as my down and I have a 775 credit score an my residual is $35k.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #53
Agamemnon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3 ss2 zcp full leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
I think the comparison just shows again that people think the m-sport models are something special, when it's really just a sportline wearing the emperor's new clothes. We've seen other comparisons where the reviewer says something like, "We're using the biggest, baddest 3-series model, the m-sport version...." When we all know that as far as performance it's not any different from a sportline.

BMW really should have included the MPPK and m-perf suspension with the m-sport instead of making it purely an aero/looks package. MPPK isn't even shown on the website; probably only 1% of the people buying an F30 have even heard of it.
Here in Canada, the MPPK and M-Performance suspension is shown on the website. Most of the BMW dealers here have models already loaded up with the MPPK and MPE on the show room floor. The BMW sales reps are all very knowledgeable about what is available. If you wanted an MPPK and MPE installed on your car, it can be done before delivery. Perhaps only 1% of the people buying BMWs care about having it. I cared and I am very happy with my car. And it would certainly keep up with an S5.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #54
Mik3ymomo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

4 posts.. You should look around the site a little better...
      02-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #55
Batmobile
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i m performance edition

Canada

If I base my self on official canadian specs of both cars, the 435xi with mppk should be 0.3 faster 0 to 100 km/h.

Audi S5: 5.1
BMW 435 xi with mppk: 4.8

I think many of these comparisons are not fair matched. The S5 should go against the 435xi with M package 1 and 2 (which includes mppk/MPE and m adaptive suspension and brakes).

The 435xi with MPPK has more power and torque and is lighter than S5. No Reason for S5 to be quicker...

Anyways, at this point we are splitting hair, it all comes down to the car you prefer.

Last comment: I doubt the new S5 will pack much more power than the previous model. It is all marketing and if you look at the compitition, the S5 and 435xi are by far quicker than most cars in same category. If you make them any faster they will canibalize sales of RS5 and M4...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #56
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Lol at all the butt hurt people about their car losing in a magazine comparison article.

At the end of the day who cares, we all picked the cars we drive now for a reason.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #57
MikeJ87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive MPPK 1&2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Here in Canada, the MPPK and M-Performance suspension is shown on the website. Most of the BMW dealers here have models already loaded up with the MPPK and MPE on the show room floor. The BMW sales reps are all very knowledgeable about what is available. If you wanted an MPPK and MPE installed on your car, it can be done before delivery. Perhaps only 1% of the people buying BMWs care about having it. I cared and I am very happy with my car. And it would certainly keep up with an S5.
Exactly! I have the MPPK & MPE installed and my car was delivered to the dealership with everything already installed. All of it was clearly outlined to me when I ordered in June 2013 and the info wasnt even on the website at that point.

+1 to keeping up with an S5.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #58
Mik3ymomo
Lieutenant
Rep

My car ran stock 0-60 in 4.56 seconds. Nothing to be butt hurt about if they actually tested the equivalent car.
NO PPK here.
      02-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #59
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Why does everyone get so hung up on 0-60?!?! I don't get it, such a flawed metric of any kind of tangible performance...I understand it's easier for every day Joe to make sense of it, but why on a car enthusiast board? There are far better scores such as 1/4 mile et/trap-> 1/8 mile et/trap -> 60ft. Then there is standard 60-130 pull.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 12:48 PM   #60
BMWFanatic2008
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

S4/S5 being better than 335/435 in a number of these test comparisons doesn't bother me at all. These are the only 2 cars I considered and no one else comes even close to BMW/Audi IMO. Both are great cars and each has something over the other one (a lot of it comes down to taste though). If you're leasing, it makes more sense to go with a BMW as their lease programs are more attractive (you can get a loaded 335 in $500-600 range). If I were to buy, Audi would probably be my choice as S models are more exclusive and should hold their value a little better down the road.
      02-28-2014, 01:06 PM   #61
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
My car ran stock 0-60 in 4.56 seconds. Nothing to be butt hurt about if they actually tested the equivalent car.
NO PPK here.
Quote:

lol ok...sound pretty butt hurt and awfully desperate to justify why you bought what you bought.

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 01:15 PM   #62
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
NO PPK here.
Clearly different conditions and Audi would benefit equally. Side by side comparo is the only real wayt to do that. ...or we could scour the mags for the lowest # and throw that at it. HP would cure the straight line aspect of the comparo.....thats it though. Really Really defensive on here.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 01:15 PM   #63
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
lol ok...sound pretty butt hurt and awfully desperate to justify why you bought what you bought.

AGREED!!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 04:52 PM   #64
ToyotaBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Whitetintedwindows

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaBMW View Post
Quote:
My car is considerably faster.. How do we account for that? And my drive in the Audi is also real world. Its also a better comparison of an AWD vs an AWD car.
What else is there to go on?
Their test is flawed by at least not running a 435xi against the Audi.

I've proven my point at the track already. There really isn't an argument.

Not speaking to you specifically as you are just pointing out C&D's flawed results but we have a saying in my circles about such debates...

"Run your car...not your mouth."
Seems like you are the one running your mouth. Even say your car is 4.56 and say the S5 is 4.8 that is still a drivers race and that means that your car may be faster but it doesn't mean the S5 is a old ladies slow car.
Second why should we take your number of 4.56 when C&D had two cars tested the same day same conditions. Yes maybe BMW should have given them a different car but even if BMW did it would only be slightly fast either to match the S5 or beat it slightly. That would not make the S5 a slow car as you say running your mouth.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 06:31 PM   #65
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:

Exactly right. The S5 is a step further than the sportiest 435i. It has enhanced suspension, the option of an electronic limited slip diff, heavily bolstered seats, very powerful engine and more. The 435 MSport does not have a specially enhanced engine (the 335is E92 did), it as the std sport seats which are nice but not as special as those in the S5, and the suspension is not that stiff, even with DHP.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 10:57 PM   #66
Number 6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92

Quote:
I got the impression that my CA didn't even know what the MPPK was, or what the port install option was. Didn't matter, I did (because of this board, thank-you very much) and I dictated what I wanted.
Appreciate 0