F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Kitchen woes - Warning
GetBMWParts

06-13-2021, 09:01 AM   #1
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

Kitchen woes - Warning

Hey folks,

So a few months back we were all set with our kitchen from Howdens and had our fitting date all set. The fitter then said that he mostly uses Benchmarx and suggested we go, if anything just to save a little and the quality is on par (same guarantees etc) and he's used them before so has that relationship.

We went in maybe 6 weeks ago and loved a dark green kitchen that was completely different to our original choice - and is was a little cheaper. So we went ahead and finalised everything.

Cue last Monday morning and the fitter came and took out the old kitchen, sold on fleabay and collected Tuesday. Call on Wednesday to Benchmarx as we hadn't heard anything except for confirmation of the delivery date.

"We can't get hold of the base units for your kitchen and have no timescale for delivery, our UK plant is closed fully until further notice"

So here we were, no kitchen and no new one in sight. Another Howdens branch has been amazing via the fitter and can get us units and a full kitchen in a week - just now have to potentially compromise as they don't do the same colour.

Been a very stressful few days and I think we are taking the week to just assess options rather than jump into things.

Anyway...maybe just a rant after all. Possibly the most stressed I've been in a while.

Apparently Benchmarx and Wren are in a similar place with delays.

Armaan
Appreciate 2
Rbrown2765.50
stefan41083.50
      06-13-2021, 09:06 AM   #2
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

It’s the one part of a new kitchen build that worries me the most - being certain everything is there before the old one is ripped out.
We are about to get a new kitchen. Luckily I have the space to get everything delivered, checked and double checked before anything is taken out.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 10:21 AM   #3
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

Probably should have confirmed the new kitchen was coming before you ripped out and flogged the old one, but hey ho.
Appreciate 1
Th3Walrus340.50
      06-13-2021, 10:28 AM   #4
Armaan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemacca01 View Post
Probably should have confirmed the new kitchen was coming before you ripped out and flogged the old one, but hey ho.
Maybe too much trust in a brand delivering unless they say otherwise...but get your point
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 10:35 AM   #5
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaan View Post
Maybe too much trust in a brand delivering unless they say otherwise...but get your point
I feel for you Armaan.

It is too late for you now but for the past 10 years I have used a Professional Kitchen Planning service owned by a Lady I know and whilst it is added expense it really does take the hassle out of it.

Aligning all the different trades and the Kitchen Suppliers can be a royal pain and I have been doing it for years.

Can you at least get some of it installed to tide you over for a few weeks?

I wish you luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 10:39 AM   #6
Armaan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
Quote:
I feel for you Armaan.

It is too late for you now but for the past 10 years I have used a Professional Kitchen Planning service owned by a Lady I know and whilst it is added expense it really does take the hassle out of it.

Aligning all the different trades and the Kitchen Suppliers can be a royal pain and I have been doing it for years.

Can you at least get some of it installed to tide you over for a few weeks?

I wish you luck.
Much appreciated. Speaking to the fitter in the next few days to see what can be done, but base units required to hold everything are quite fundamental - the only thing that they can't get hold of from Benchmarx. They literally have everything else which is annoying somewhat.

Armaan
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 10:44 AM   #7
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Quote:
Much appreciated. Speaking to the fitter in the next few days to see what can be done, but base units required to hold everything are quite fundamental - the only thing that they can't get hold of from Benchmarx. They literally have everything else which is annoying somewhat.

Armaan
Of course you could always do what the majority of the UK population seem to do anyway and live off of Takeaways for a few weeks
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 10:45 AM   #8
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

I’d be round to BQ and by something to hold the sink and the oven /hob. At least you’d be functional. Joiner can work on the wall units.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 10:56 AM   #9
Arcticdan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: A car!

Feel for you and hope it gets sorted.

For the past few months we have tried to get our kitchen redone which involves building work (constantly let down on starting dates by builder) so have delayed ordering the kitchen till I know dimensions etc following building work however had quotes from Howdens and Wren (surprisingly Wren Cheaper) but Wren salesmen has been a pain in the A**e with constant hard sell.

So I was considering going to Benchmarx as a relation works for Travis Perkins and says he can get me a good price. I think I will now heed your warning, thanks!

May be back to Howdens, had a kitchen with them in the past with no issues, they just seem to have got a lot more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 11:16 AM   #10
Armaan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticdan View Post

For the past few months we have tried to get our kitchen redone which involves building work (constantly let down on starting dates by builder) so have delayed ordering the kitchen till I know dimensions etc following building work however had quotes from Howdens and Wren (surprisingly Wren Cheaper) but Wren salesmen has been a pain in the A**e with constant hard sell.

So I was considering going to Benchmarx as a relation works for Travis Perkins and says he can get me a good price. I think I will now heed your warning, thanks!

May be back to Howdens, had a kitchen with them in the past with no issues, they just seem to have got a lot more expensive.
We had a quote from Wren - I think they called me every few days for a week before I said leave me alone and I'll call you back - they also have a 12-13 week wait currently for your information, we went into store yesterday just to ask. The hard sell just annoyed me to no end!

If you get a written quote from Benchmarx, take it to Howdens and they'll match it, as long as it's like for like - that's exactly what they are doing for us.

Armaan
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 11:29 AM   #11
Arcticdan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: A car!

Quote:
We had a quote from Wren - I think they called me every few days for a week before I said leave me alone and I'll call you back - they also have a 12-13 week wait currently for your information, we went into store yesterday just to ask. The hard sell just annoyed me to no end!

If you get a written quote from Benchmarx, take it to Howdens and they'll match it, as long as it's like for like - that's exactly what they are doing for us.

Armaan
Thanks for that, I've got a quote from Wren so will push Howdens harder using that.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 12:28 PM   #12
Malone
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i Touring Shadow Ed. MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticdan View Post

Have a good measure-up or go to b&q or somewhere that designs kitchens, then buy all the units etc from DIY-Kitchens and save yourself a fortune.
Appreciate 1
neilr45.50
      06-13-2021, 01:52 PM   #13
speedski
Major
Rep
Drives: Former F40/F36/E81/E85 Owner

Ikea is a good option if you need a bridging solution - can even take it home yourself if you have the car for it.

Must admit, our Ikea kitchen was miles better than we expected in the last house we had.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 01:59 PM   #14
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

We put off our new kitchen due to current shortages of stock.

Had quotes from Howdens, Benchmarx and a local bespoke company. I spoke with a fitter who said there were shortages everywhere. Our Benchmarx closed down recently for some reason. They hadn't been open for long.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 02:03 PM   #15
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4series Grand Coupe

I had similar problems with Howdons but I delayed kitchen until all bits were here then ripped out old units stored in garage then put them onto fleabay just didnt want to take any chances and I much preferred Howdons units.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 03:38 PM   #16
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

We used wickes, it all turned up the week before the fitter was due to start, couple of non essential bits missing that arrived during the build for when required. Wouldn’t want it any other way, no way I’d have stuff ripped out without the replacement already on site!

Good luck hope you sort it!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 03:59 PM   #17
M33DLO
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i MPPSK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedski View Post
Ikea is a good option if you need a bridging solution - can even take it home yourself if you have the car for it.

Must admit, our Ikea kitchen was miles better than we expected in the last house we had.
+1 for Ikea..
Excellent...

As Speedski says, it could be a good option to pickup some cabinets to hold the sink and oven/hob.

Priced well, quality is bang on, you can ask for their approved fitters or provide your own, full interactive planner that you can change bits about and it gives you a new price there and then..
We ordered a kitchen which must have comprised of 100's of parts in probably 60odd boxes.. Everything was there and fitted together perfect..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 04:37 PM   #18
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
I’d be round to BQ and by something to hold the sink and the oven /hob. At least you’d be functional. Joiner can work on the wall units.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M33DLO View Post

As Speedski says, it could be a good option to pickup some cabinets to hold the sink and oven/hob.

Think I’ll claim that one thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 05:09 PM   #19
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

Wow, kitchens are stressful at the best of time. Thanks for the heads up, we had looked at wren as we're having a new kitchen shortly but we've ended up going elsewhere in the end.

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 06:01 AM   #20
Lynxi2k
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 335d

Just completed our Kitchen through, Howdens. Had the Kitchen delivered in Feb and fitted April/May. Had a few issues with missing/wrong damaged items but all replaced and sorted with a phone call, all in stock no issues.

Not sure on which part of your kitchen is delayed but normally all carcasses are the same and the doors and panels are the decorative bit. That's the case with Howdens at least, so even if doors aren't in stock you can fitted all the units and appliances and doors can be added later.

Hindsight is wonderful, but you never expect the kitchen to not turn up without some warning!

Our second kitchen through Howdens, thy will price match, even DIY Kitchens, and they have most things in stock and a good network of stores to get bits from if they are damaged/missing.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 07:03 AM   #21
Armaan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxi2k View Post
Just completed our Kitchen through, Howdens. Had the Kitchen delivered in Feb and fitted April/May. Had a few issues with missing/wrong damaged items but all replaced and sorted with a phone call, all in stock no issues.

Not sure on which part of your kitchen is delayed but normally all carcasses are the same and the doors and panels are the decorative bit. That's the case with Howdens at least, so even if doors aren't in stock you can fitted all the units and appliances and doors can be added later.

Hindsight is wonderful, but you never expect the kitchen to not turn up without some warning!

Our second kitchen through Howdens, thy will price match, even DIY Kitchens, and they have most things in stock and a good network of stores to get bits from if they are damaged/missing.

Good luck.
They have everything but the base units. Benchmarx doors do not fit on any other units - one of a few that make different sizes to most of the other brands, which I think are more mix and match.

Howdens have been amazing and picked up our designs on Friday, ready to deliver if we wanted it tomorrow. Can't fault their service.

Armaan
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 04:35 AM   #22
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Think the issue of supplies is hitting all the building trades due to lockdowns and Brexit.

Also resulting in increased costs all round which will get passed onto the end customer.

When I’ve done refurbs etc I’ve always tried to ensure I’ve got the kit to hand first - mind you mine all used Wickes flat packs so storage isn’t so much of an issue.

Good luck with all the woes and remember it’ll all just be distant memory to laugh about one day