F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > 2014 BMW Halogen Headlight Issue
Extreme Powerhouse

05-01-2023, 10:10 AM   #1
F30 Paul
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328 Diesel Sedan

Exclamation 2014 BMW Halogen Headlight Issue

Hello, I am new to this forum - but wanted to post a recent issue to check for any feedback or advice. Several weeks ago, my automatic headlights stopped working. I didn't think much of it since I could manually use the switch. Several days after ... the left low beam malfunctioned. Not much longer, the right malfunctioned. Sometimes they'd work, sometimes they didn't.

Then, they stopped working at night all together & the only way I could drive home was to "hold" my bright's on. They wouldn't stay on without holding the lever.

Since the lights work intermittedly - I don't think it's bulbs ... especially since the automatic feature stopped.

I "believe" that the rain & light sensor behind the rear view mirror is the culprit - based on symptoms only. I replaced the 5 amp fuse, it wasn't bad. I think it's the module.

Any advice would be appreciated ... I have it scheduled to go to the dealer on Friday for the recall, so I can have them look at it. I just feel like I'm opening up my wallet when asking them to look into an issue.

I was told the module is $288 & it appears that it needs to be initialized by a computer - thus me not just throwing a part at it to check it.

Thanks,
Paul
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 01:08 AM   #2
_das_bae_
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30 Paul View Post
Hello, I am new to this forum - but wanted to post a recent issue to check for any feedback or advice. Several weeks ago, my automatic headlights stopped working. I didn't think much of it since I could manually use the switch. Several days after ... the left low beam malfunctioned. Not much longer, the right malfunctioned. Sometimes they'd work, sometimes they didn't.

Then, they stopped working at night all together & the only way I could drive home was to "hold" my bright's on. They wouldn't stay on without holding the lever.

Since the lights work intermittedly - I don't think it's bulbs ... especially since the automatic feature stopped.

I "believe" that the rain & light sensor behind the rear view mirror is the culprit - based on symptoms only. I replaced the 5 amp fuse, it wasn't bad. I think it's the module.

Any advice would be appreciated ... I have it scheduled to go to the dealer on Friday for the recall, so I can have them look at it. I just feel like I'm opening up my wallet when asking them to look into an issue.

I was told the module is $288 & it appears that it needs to be initialized by a computer - thus me not just throwing a part at it to check it.

Thanks,
Paul
Not sure if you’ve tried this already but if you’re saying only the automatic portion of the switch doesn’t work, what happens when you turn it all the way to the right which is lights on manually?

If it is just the automatic function of the switch not working then yes it would have to be either the switch itself or the light ambience sensor in the mirror which has the issue I’ll guess. It is unlikely the bulbs… but you would get an error on the dash if they were out (unless bulb check was coded out), and it’s not the harness unless a single wire was somehow cut or unplugged from the back connector.

Hope this helps, welcome to the forums! Seems you’re on the right track for troubleshooting! Also just a heads up, normally a post like this would go in the technical discussions.
Appreciate 0