F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BM3 v.2.2 - Traction Control Issues Thread
Extreme Powerhouse

01-17-2022, 02:57 AM   #23
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

This map clearly has less timing and an ask for more boost and traction controls broken.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 05:27 AM   #24
thecooltype
drive to survive
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540 XI

checking into the discussion...

So this seems to happen with stage 1 and 2 according to the posts. Does anyone know if this is all cars? I have a 2017 540. I have done a few pulls off the line since upgrading to v2.2 and haven't noticed any wheel spin.

P.s. I have noticed pft lately being mute... I had questions on 2.2 that I sent through IG and email and got no response... They are usually very good at replying to emails
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 07:20 AM   #25
JezB58
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Update - I raised a support ticket with PTF and just got a response as follows :
"Our development team has been notified of the issue. They are testing our vehicles on a dyno as we speak in order to fix the issue. Please bear with us. We will release the fix shortly."

So good news in that they are acknowledging the issue and looking to put out a fix
Appreciate 4
Wires1636.50
eluded2960.50
G.Newt803.00
      01-17-2022, 07:37 AM   #26
thecooltype
drive to survive
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezB58 View Post
Update - I raised a support ticket with PTF and just got a response as follows :
"Our development team has been notified of the issue. They are testing our vehicles on a dyno as we speak in order to fix the issue. Please bear with us. We will release the fix shortly."

So good news in that they are acknowledging the issue and looking to put out a fix
Awesome news
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 08:34 AM   #27
Red-i
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i

Quote:

that's great to hear!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 10:25 AM   #28
CrimsonMoonLight72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Xdrive

Quote:

Cool....please post here if and when they let you know it’s done
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 01:28 PM   #29
culpability
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:

I haven't gotten this notice, but I did get a new test map on Friday that 100% resolved the issue. Only just today let them know that it is a vast improvement. Hopefully I'm literally the guinea pig that they figured it out with!!

My first test map was like, Wednesday of last week, and while it got TC sort of working again, it was still like 50% reduced from normal and was frequently engaging TC without showing the TC/DSC light. The second map TC felt 100% awesome. And car feels fast again unlike my first test map.

Last edited by culpability; 01-18-2022 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2022, 01:33 PM   #30
culpability
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecooltype View Post

So this seems to happen with stage 1 and 2 according to the posts. Does anyone know if this is all cars? I have a 2017 540. I have done a few pulls off the line since upgrading to v2.2 and haven't noticed any wheel spin.

P.s. I have noticed pft lately being mute... I had questions on 2.2 that I sent through IG and email and got no response... They are usually very good at replying to emails
Surprisingly, I actually think I have only seen users with 4 series reporting problems. That doesn't necessarily mean that the problem doesn't exist for 3's and 5's, and frankly it would make very little sense (to me, a layperson) for at least any difference in the 3s and 4s since afaik everything is about the same except a little extra bracing and weight on the 4s.

EDIT: I realize that JezB58 is in an F31 and having the same problem so my comment about only seeing 4s is moot. Haven't seen ayone in a 5 complaining about it though for sure, but that very may well just be because there are many less people tuning their 5s.
      01-18-2022, 02:04 PM   #31
CrimsonMoonLight72
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by culpability View Post
I haven't gotten this notice, but I did get a new test map on Friday that 100% resolved the issue. Only just today let them know that it is a vast improvement. Hopefully I'm literally the guinea pig that they figured it out with!!

My first test map was like, Wednesday of last week, and while it got TC sort of working again, it was still like 50% reduced from normal and was frequently engaging TC without showing the TC/DSC light. The second map TC felt 100% awesome. And car feels fast again unlike my first test map.
What does test map mean? So only those that request a tweaked map will get it? I would think the new version would be the official version for everyone that flashes it not just for those that specifically request it.....?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 07:10 PM   #32
GeneHackmanCrisis
Rep
Drives: 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonMoonLight72 View Post
What does test map mean? So only those that request a tweaked map will get it? I would think the new version would be the official version for everyone that flashes it not just for those that specifically request it.....?
It would make total sense to just fix the map and put up the updated one or ones for all users to flash but I’m assuming the test map is kinda like a preliminary map prior to the mass updated one they will soon put up. But knowing PTF they won’t make it official and no one will know that the maps were updated. Because I logged in just before and the updates are still posted up as 12/15. Go figurr
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 08:35 AM   #33
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
I have a M240i - same apparent behavior.

Quote:
Surprisingly, I actually think I have only seen users with 4 series reporting problems. That doesn't necessarily mean that the problem doesn't exist for 3's and 5's, and frankly it would make very little sense (to me, a layperson) for at least any difference in the 3s and 4s since afaik everything is about the same except a little extra bracing and weight on the 4s.

EDIT: I realize that JezB58 is in an F31 and having the same problem so my comment about only seeing 4s is moot. Haven't seen ayone in a 5 complaining about it though for sure, but that very may well just be because there are many less people tuning their 5s.
Ohlins R&T coilovers, Turner monoball thrust arms, F87 LCAs, GC camber plates, Superpro subframe bushings, Megan Racing adj. RCAs, delrin differential bushings. Stoptech BBK 6 piston (f) 4 piston (r).
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 09:01 AM   #34
culpability
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneHackmanCrisis View Post
It would make total sense to just fix the map and put up the updated one or ones for all users to flash but I’m assuming the test map is kinda like a preliminary map prior to the mass updated one they will soon put up. But knowing PTF they won’t make it official and no one will know that the maps were updated. Because I logged in just before and the updates are still posted up as 12/15. Go figurr
OK I've got several things to respond to. I'll start with an update first and foremost.

This morning PTF sent me a 3rd test map and told me they had been testing it on their own cars this week. This 3rd test map is incredible. I previously stated my 2nd test map felt fast again; I was very wrong. If anything it feels like they've found even more power than the baseline 2.2. And more importantly, Traction Control is back to 100% effectiveness. I did my absolute damndest to get sideways, even goosing it on some icy patches, and TC wasn't having any of it.

So, based on JezB58's report, I suspect that PTF are aiming to finalize a new updated map this week and push it out that resolves the traction control issues. I would recommend anyone reading this go back to 2.1 and sit tight until they publish it.

Now I believe it was CrimsonLight or something was asking why only I am getting test maps. These are test maps. My first map was inadequate and had not resolved TC AND had dramatically cut power; my second map gave some power back and fixed TC; this third map I find is entirely satisfactory. So obviously they aren't going to publish these "test" maps since they were probably working through figuring out why the TC had gotten screwed up and they were using me as a guinea pig since I'd drawn it to their attention. It wouldn't surprise me if this third test map still isn't quite perfect and they have a little bit of tuning to do.

A few tags for users who would probably appreciate the update: WolfGTI CrimsonMoonLight72 GeneHackmanCrisis JezB58 WeDclOwN
dmanb2b2121.50
Wires1636.50
      01-19-2022, 11:02 AM   #35
CrimsonMoonLight72
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
OK I've got several things to respond to. I'll start with an update first and foremost.

This morning PTF sent me a 3rd test map and told me they had been testing it on their own cars this week. This 3rd test map is incredible. I previously stated my 2nd test map felt fast again; I was very wrong. If anything it feels like they've found even more power than the baseline 2.2. And more importantly, Traction Control is back to 100% effectiveness. I did my absolute damndest to get sideways, even goosing it on some icy patches, and TC wasn't having any of it.

So, based on JezB58's report, I suspect that PTF are aiming to finalize a new updated map this week and push it out that resolves the traction control issues. I would recommend anyone reading this go back to 2.1 and sit tight until they publish it.

Now I believe it was CrimsonLight or something was asking why only I am getting test maps. These are test maps. My first map was inadequate and had not resolved TC AND had dramatically cut power; my second map gave some power back and fixed TC; this third map I find is entirely satisfactory. So obviously they aren't going to publish these "test" maps since they were probably working through figuring out why the TC had gotten screwed up and they were using me as a guinea pig since I'd drawn it to their attention. It wouldn't surprise me if this third test map still isn't quite perfect and they have a little bit of tuning to do.

A few tags for users who would probably appreciate the update: WolfGTI CrimsonMoonLight72 GeneHackmanCrisis JezB58 WeDclOwN
Keep up the good work! It’s a help to us all
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 11:34 AM   #36
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
Thank you for the update.

Quote:

Ohlins R&T coilovers, Turner monoball thrust arms, F87 LCAs, GC camber plates, Superpro subframe bushings, Megan Racing adj. RCAs, delrin differential bushings. Stoptech BBK 6 piston (f) 4 piston (r).
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 04:17 PM   #37
alexander7599
Alexander Hartunian
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i

Garage List
2018 BMW 440i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecooltype View Post

I recently flashed Stage 2 acn91 V2.2 on my 440i coupe (RWD) and so far, have not really seen a crazy amount of wheel spin like others have in their cars. I do notice it's trying a little harder to hook up because it definitely is more powerful than before, but never fails to hook and certainly doesn't send me sideways when WOT from low gears.

If it matters, I got hankook ventus v12 evo2 all around; however I don't think it's solely a matter of the tires 😄 For me, the car feels great in any case!
      01-19-2022, 10:03 PM   #38
CrimsonMoonLight72
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander7599 View Post
I recently flashed Stage 2 acn91 V2.2 on my 440i coupe (RWD) and so far, have not really seen a crazy amount of wheel spin like others have in their cars. I do notice it's trying a little harder to hook up because it definitely is more powerful than before, but never fails to hook and certainly doesn't send me sideways when WOT from low gears.

If it matters, I got hankook ventus v12 evo2 all around; however I don't think it's solely a matter of the tires 😄 For me, the car feels great in any case!
Well they may of updated the maps already without officially saying so. That might be why you’re not having any of the issues that many people had 2 weeks ago or so.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 11:59 AM   #39
335kc
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

It's quite weird that I don't feel any of these problems when I drive my car and I flashed a while back when maps first came out. Stage 2 91 here.

Anywho I appreciate the update from this thread, you've been amazing!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 10:17 AM   #40
biomed27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30

Any news on when BM3 will release an update?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 04:29 PM   #41
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:

Halim sent me that latest map and, although, I am on a 4WD G platform (X3 M40i) I can tell you that this "3rd version" is much less responsive/torquey down low and feels more tame than the base 2.2 but fixes the traction control issue that has been problematic for the traction-buster seekers. I completely understand that for those living in harsher conditions (snow, sleet, rain, etc.) this may be an adequate trade off.

2.1 is still my preferred for that instant throttle response off tap (very naturally aspirated feeling). And, yes, it's undeniable 2.2 makes more power in the mid and upper power ranges but feels somewhat lazy down low for day to day driving...especially for my big and heavy soccer mom SUV...you can just tell it is a bit more lethargic until the power ramps. This "3rd version" is even less responsive than that imho. My hardcore track days may be over and this is completely from my butt-dyno but it very obvious to me...I'm going to do some logs shortly...but for now I'm going back to 2.1 until this all finalizes.

Last edited by TreDirtyFive; 01-22-2022 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 05:45 PM   #42
GeneHackmanCrisis
Rep
Drives: 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDirtyFive View Post
Halim sent me that latest map and, although, I am on a 4WD G platform (X3 M40i) I can tell you that this "3rd version" is much less responsive/torquey down low and feels more tame than the base 2.2 but fixes the traction control issue that has been problematic for the traction-buster seekers. I completely understand that for those living in harsher conditions (snow, sleet, rain, etc.) this may be an adequate trade off.

2.1 is still my preferred for that instant throttle response off tap (very naturally aspirated feeling). And, yes, it's undeniable 2.2 makes more power in the mid and upper power ranges but feels somewhat lazy down low for day to day driving...especially for my big and heavy soccer mom SUV...you can just tell it is a bit more lethargic until the power ramps. This "3rd version" is even less responsive than that imho. My hardcore track days may be over and this is completely from my butt-dyno but it very obvious to me...I'm going to do some logs shortly...but for now I'm going back to 2.1 until this all finalizes.
Wow this bites....it really does. People present an issue of TC not working properly which is never good due to crazy torque which IS good. And rather than presenting a fix that is specific without compromising any other performance metrics people are getting maps minus the balls of the map....if that’s a fix? I think I’m sticking with v2.1 until this is sorted out because as of now it doesn’t seem like it is. Funny thing is I don’t recall people complaining about the v2.1 maps which makes me wonder the purpose of v 2.2 maps? And on top of all this apparently( according to some ) they are standoffish and oddly apathetic and childish. Well when people start going to other tuning sources I guess they can put 2 and 2 together.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 06:18 PM   #43
JezB58
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Excellent news, looking forward to those new maps when they finally get released !
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 07:05 PM   #44
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

How many people who are sh*tting their pants because they don't have a big safety net from TC also don't have significant road course track time and skid pad training?
Appreciate 0