F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Precision Raceworks N55 Ignition Kit Installed
ARMA SPEED

03-07-2021, 09:51 AM   #23
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 335i msport

Nexsys motorsports is making an adaptor plate and plug and play harness that allows us to run b58 coils, b58 coils have better performance than PR coils

https://*********************/thread...it.7170/page-1

***** spool street
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2266.00
      03-08-2021, 09:39 AM   #24
GAB0
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussiwillow View Post
Nexsys motorsports is making an adaptor plate and plug and play harness that allows us to run b58 coils, b58 coils have better performance than PR coils

***** spool street
Very intriguing option.

Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2021, 11:36 AM   #25
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAB0 View Post
Quote:

***** spool street
Very intriguing option.

Thanks for sharing.
No problem man, pretty cool for sure, I'm going to buy it when it's released fully, preventative because I'm going to push this car pretty hard this year
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 05:00 PM   #26
insane11
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i GC

Quote:
No problem man, pretty cool for sure, I'm going to buy it when it's released fully, preventative because I'm going to push this car pretty hard this year
getting that adapter plate and b58 coil gonna cost more than the pr coil
      01-04-2022, 05:02 PM   #27
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane11 View Post
B58 Coils are pretty cheap, especially for Eldor. And it performs better that the PR kit.
      01-04-2022, 05:05 PM   #28
insane11
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
B58 Coils are pretty cheap, especially for Eldor. And it performs better that the PR kit.
i know i bought a set of eldor b58 for $150. im in the process of installing the b58 coil on my car
      01-04-2022, 06:01 PM   #29
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane11 View Post
Quote:
450$ for kit and coils, better performance, easily replaceable and arguably more reliable, It's worth it
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 07:30 PM   #30
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
450$ for kit and coils, better performance, easily replaceable and arguably more reliable, It's worth it
What is the better performance people are getting out of coils? From a practical perspective, not theoretical on being able to run a bigger gap or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 07:34 PM   #31
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
What is the better performance people are getting out of coils? From a practical perspective, not theoretical on being able to run a bigger gap or whatever.
Let me rephrase that. More efficient coil. Lol
Better output and dwell, and an oem part. Looks stock when installed. On a full bolt on car? Probably won't see anything, if anything, it'll be negligible. Big turbo? Heavy fueling? Sure
I need to do coils anyway, so I'm one and done and future proofed. Mhd has a tune revision for it now as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 08:27 PM   #32
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
having these coils and having them for 2 years. it was a complete waste of money.
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 08:29 PM   #33
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 328i M Sport

They would be better for higher boost levels + ethanol mixes. I personally want to see how well they work and if I can fit them to my n20. I want the space in my engine bay back instead of bracket for coils. I know they will fit the PR harness, but there has to be a way to get harness adapters from OEM to the elders for ease + oem upgrade + basic tune.
MY13: TTE400 Stage 2 turbo, Spec Single Mass flywheel + Stage 3+ Clutch, FTP V2 Turbo Inlet, Evolution Racewerks Charge pipe + Boost pipe + Intercooler, Turbosmart Recirculating Diverter Valve, aFE grill scoop + aFE Magnum Force Cold Air Intake, B58 coil retrofit, eBay Downpipe, Active Autowerke muffler, DW400 LPFP, B58TU HPFP, M5 s63TU injectors, Bimmermilvs, e80 tune by Navardi Tuned. 380 whp/360 wheel torque stock block
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 08:43 PM   #34
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Let me rephrase that. More efficient coil. Lol
Better output and dwell, and an oem part. Looks stock when installed. On a full bolt on car? Probably won't see anything, if anything, it'll be negligible. Big turbo? Heavy fueling? Sure
I need to do coils anyway, so I'm one and done and future proofed. Mhd has a tune revision for it now as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwinny View Post
They would be better for higher boost levels + ethanol mixes. I personally want to see how well they work and if I can fit them to my n20. I want the space in my engine bay back instead of bracket for coils. I know they will fit the PR harness, but there has to be a way to get harness adapters from OEM to the elders for ease + oem upgrade + basic tune.

Yeah i get this from a theoretical perspective but the question is does this actually make a difference or are coil "upgrades" not really an upgrade at all and addressing a problem that doesnt exist? Difficult to quantify i know but I just dont think these are doing anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 01:29 AM   #35
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

What's the problem with the factory N55 Delphi/Eldor?
      01-05-2022, 02:29 AM   #36
NEWTRON
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
What's the problem with the factory N55 Delphi/Eldor?
I was having misfires when I went PS2/FX180. Everyone recommended that I upgrade my coils to PR so I did. The new coils fixed my issues. I'm sure stock replacement/Eldor would have fixed it too, but I decided if I'm buying new coils then I might as well upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Yeah i get this from a theoretical perspective but the question is does this actually make a difference or are coil "upgrades" not really an upgrade at all and addressing a problem that doesnt exist? Difficult to quantify i know but I just dont think these are doing anything.
I think the same thing happened here as with spark plugs. Some tuners recommended colder plugs and upgraded coils and everyone ran with that recommendation. If your coils are working properly then I dont think they are needed.
VRSF RACE IC, FTP CP, VRSF CATLESS DP, BORLA ATAK CATBACK, CTS TURBO INTAKE, MST V2 INLET, PURE STAGE 2, TURBOSMART BOV,FTP TURBO OUTLET, SPOOL FX180, BM3 ETHANOL ANALYZER, PRECISION RACEWORKS COILS, BM3 STAGE 2+ E30
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 12:42 PM   #37
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTRON View Post
I was having misfires when I went PS2/FX180. Everyone recommended that I upgrade my coils to PR so I did. The new coils fixed my issues. I'm sure stock replacement/Eldor would have fixed it too, but I decided if I'm buying new coils then I might as well upgrade.

I think the same thing happened here as with spark plugs. Some tuners recommended colder plugs and upgraded coils and everyone ran with that recommendation. If your coils are working properly then I dont think they are needed.
Exactly. New coils can be an "upgrade" to old coils but a coil "upgrade" doesn't really seem to be a thing since there isnt a problem with OEM coils.
Appreciate 1
n55david1295.50
      11-12-2023, 10:20 AM   #38
Renato Gambine
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 2017

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=1QuikWS6;26185848]Just finished up install of my new PR N55 Ignition Kit

The Precision Raceworks BMW N55 HIGH PERFORMANCE IGNITION KIT is designed to integrate with any vehicle equipped with the N55 engine. This is the highest output ignition system ever developed for the N55 community Featuring 100% plug and play connections and low resistance 50ohm/ft proprietary plug wires. This High voltage & High Current coil design is equipped with technology from Marine & Aerospace applications.

This is their latest design with new 1-pc Bracket that lays the Coils down at a different angle so as to allow for full install of Engine Cover without any cutting/mods

Coils are similar to the GM LS variety - known for their Reliability + Hi Output/Dwell Time. Featuring OEM resistance matched primary coil to prevent error codes or programming requirements for your car. These coils pack a punch with 250% more output than the factory ignition coils found on your BMW
  • Primary Coil Resistance: .50 ohms
  • Output Energy: 118mj
  • Dwell Saturation Point: 3.7ms

Install was relatively EZ - just the usual fiddly bits of having to remove Strut Brace, OEM Rear Brace, & Rear Cowling
  • Bracket installs under (4) fuel injection rail attachment bolts
  • Coils bolt to bracket w/(2) bolts/ea
  • R&R each OEM Coil 1 @ a time, connect PR trigger wire harness to OEM Coil Harness & new Coil
  • Install PR Plug 8mm Wire Adapters to Plugs (make certain they are fully engaged) & plug other end on to new Coil

I tywrapped wires so as to route neatly, put a light amount of dielectric grease to the inside tip of plug boot ONLY as per PR instructions

Plug Adapters fit into openings as OEM with same style silicone boot @ top to seal. Plug attachment is done by old style metal ferrule instead of the spring loaded connection as stock. There is a definite 'click' feel when they are completely engaged...

Car was smooth B4, even smoother now, no misfires, worx well with my NGK colder plugs & PS2 turbo + now I can check off the 'PR Ign Coils' option in BM3 to take full advantage of their higher output/dwell (coding is NOT req'd for this kit to work-just even higher perf if turned ON thru BM3 or MHD)

Coming soon some Dyno Time with Cary Jordan remotely so as to finalize his custom BM3 Tune

Hey guys, talking about Brazil here!
Yesterday I had problems with my Precision Raceworks coils, the car ran normally... I stopped to change the spark plugs as soon as we finished the service, I went out for a spin with the car, unfortunately the M2 when it was going up to 5 thousand RPM or 6 thousand RPM it failed, I was disbelieved... I thought I was unlucky that the spark plugs were bad, it could happen.
To my surprise, it was the coils, as I returned the old spark plugs that still worked... and the car didn't return to normal.
I removed the coils and put in the OEM ones I have in storage and magically the car returned to normal. I don't understand, I put the precision raceworks in and it gives me a problem. Can someone help me!!???
My friend had the same problem.

Fala galera, falando do Brasil aqui!
Ontem tive problemas com as minhas bobinas da precision raceworks, carro funcionado normal... parei para efetuar a troca das velas assim que terminamos o serviço, saí para dar uma volta com o carro, infelizmente a M2 quando subia giro 5 mil RPM ou 6 mil RPM ela falhava, fiquei desacreditado... Achei que tive o azar das velas estarem ruim, pode acontecer.
Para minha surpresa eram as bobinas, pois retornei as velas antigas que funcionavam ainda... e o carro não voltou ao normal.
Tirei as bobinas e coloquei as OEM que tenho guardadas e magicamente o carro voltou ao normal. Estou sem entender, coloco as precision raceworks dá problema. Alguém pode me ajudar!!???
Meu amigo teve o mesmo problema.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 06:29 PM   #39
NEWTRON
Private First Class
Rep

[QUOTE=Renato Gambine;30647164]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Just finished up install of my new PR N55 Ignition Kit

The Precision Raceworks BMW N55 HIGH PERFORMANCE IGNITION KIT is designed to integrate with any vehicle equipped with the N55 engine. This is the highest output ignition system ever developed for the N55 community Featuring 100% plug and play connections and low resistance 50ohm/ft proprietary plug wires. This High voltage & High Current coil design is equipped with technology from Marine & Aerospace applications.

This is their latest design with new 1-pc Bracket that lays the Coils down at a different angle so as to allow for full install of Engine Cover without any cutting/mods

Coils are similar to the GM LS variety - known for their Reliability + Hi Output/Dwell Time. Featuring OEM resistance matched primary coil to prevent error codes or programming requirements for your car. These coils pack a punch with 250% more output than the factory ignition coils found on your BMW
  • Primary Coil Resistance: .50 ohms
  • Output Energy: 118mj
  • Dwell Saturation Point: 3.7ms

Install was relatively EZ - just the usual fiddly bits of having to remove Strut Brace, OEM Rear Brace, & Rear Cowling
  • Bracket installs under (4) fuel injection rail attachment bolts
  • Coils bolt to bracket w/(2) bolts/ea
  • R&R each OEM Coil 1 @ a time, connect PR trigger wire harness to OEM Coil Harness & new Coil
  • Install PR Plug 8mm Wire Adapters to Plugs (make certain they are fully engaged) & plug other end on to new Coil

I tywrapped wires so as to route neatly, put a light amount of dielectric grease to the inside tip of plug boot ONLY as per PR instructions

Plug Adapters fit into openings as OEM with same style silicone boot @ top to seal. Plug attachment is done by old style metal ferrule instead of the spring loaded connection as stock. There is a definite 'click' feel when they are completely engaged...

Car was smooth B4, even smoother now, no misfires, worx well with my NGK colder plugs & PS2 turbo + now I can check off the 'PR Ign Coils' option in BM3 to take full advantage of their higher output/dwell (coding is NOT req'd for this kit to work-just even higher perf if turned ON thru BM3 or MHD)

Coming soon some Dyno Time with Cary Jordan remotely so as to finalize his custom BM3 Tune

Hey guys, talking about Brazil here!
Yesterday I had problems with my Precision Raceworks coils, the car ran normally... I stopped to change the spark plugs as soon as we finished the service, I went out for a spin with the car, unfortunately the M2 when it was going up to 5 thousand RPM or 6 thousand RPM it failed, I was disbelieved... I thought I was unlucky that the spark plugs were bad, it could happen.
To my surprise, it was the coils, as I returned the old spark plugs that still worked... and the car didn't return to normal.
I removed the coils and put in the OEM ones I have in storage and magically the car returned to normal. I don't understand, I put the precision raceworks in and it gives me a problem. Can someone help me!!???
My friend had the same problem.

Fala galera, falando do Brasil aqui!
Ontem tive problemas com as minhas bobinas da precision raceworks, carro funcionado normal... parei para efetuar a troca das velas assim que terminamos o serviço, saí para dar uma volta com o carro, infelizmente a M2 quando subia giro 5 mil RPM ou 6 mil RPM ela falhava, fiquei desacreditado... Achei que tive o azar das velas estarem ruim, pode acontecer.
Para minha surpresa eram as bobinas, pois retornei as velas antigas que funcionavam ainda... e o carro não voltou ao normal.
Tirei as bobinas e coloquei as OEM que tenho guardadas e magicamente o carro voltou ao normal. Estou sem entender, coloco as precision raceworks dá problema. Alguém pode me ajudar!!???
Meu amigo teve o mesmo problema.
Its the plug wires. they tend to get stuck on the plugs and will break if pulled too hard.
VRSF RACE IC, FTP CP, VRSF CATLESS DP, BORLA ATAK CATBACK, CTS TURBO INTAKE, MST V2 INLET, PURE STAGE 2, TURBOSMART BOV,FTP TURBO OUTLET, SPOOL FX180, BM3 ETHANOL ANALYZER, PRECISION RACEWORKS COILS, BM3 STAGE 2+ E30
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2023, 08:22 PM   #40
Renato Gambine
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Its the plug wires. they tend to get stuck on the plugs and will break if pulled too hard.
What is the correct way to remove these cables witthout causing problems??

They get pressure that is hard to remove.
But you looking visually when they leave, everything is ok!
I think they break inside and there’s no way to notice it.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 08:34 PM   #41
NEWTRON
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renato Gambine View Post
What is the correct way to remove these cables witthout causing problems??

They get pressure that is hard to remove.
But you looking visually when they leave, everything is ok!
I think they break inside and there’s no way to notice it.
Yes, they break inside. I never figured out how to remove them without them breaking so I switched to eldor coils.
Appreciate 2
      11-13-2023, 03:37 AM   #42
Renato Gambine
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Yes, they break inside. I never figured out how to remove them without them breaking so I switched to eldor coils.
Thanks!!
I Found a guy here in my country who remakes these cables! I’II try again with these coils.
It’s a shame to be so fragile, they’re too beatiful in the engine safe.

If anything, I’ll go to eldor!
Thanks thanks!
Appreciate 0