F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 drivetrain malfunction
Studio RSR

01-16-2022, 11:17 AM   #1
f30leohtx
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

Question F30 drivetrain malfunction

I turned the car on coldstar it was about 38 degrees Fahrenheit (note:this is probably the coldest the car has ever seen) I got a a drivetrain malfunction light while I was letting the car idle for about 3 minutes. But I turned the car off and then on again and the light didn't come back, not even the engine light, I drove it for about 5 minutes and still nothing. Also I checked for codes and everything was clear. Has this happened to anyone else ?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 01:02 PM   #2
HarryTee
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4CP & 2017 440i GC

Yes, it happened to me when I reconnected the battery (after disconnecting it for some work I was doing). I stopped the car, turned the engine off and then on again: never seen the light again and all have been well
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 05:55 PM   #3
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Bah... 38 degrees? Your car would die in my climate. It was -38F a couple weeks ago.

Sometimes there is a communications glitch which can toss erroneous codes. Cycling the power should fix it (like it did for you). As HarryTee mentioned, I've also seen a ton of codes when I've disconnected and reconnected the battery cable.

If it comes back, then I'd worry about it, otherwise, it should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 07:42 AM   #4
bmw888ml
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, 530d, 428i

I got this on my F32 428i from time to time, very random, and very rare (maybe twice a year?). Not sure what causes it, but it comes up occasionally. I probably flogged the car too hard. The car goes back to normal once I restart it.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 10:34 AM   #5
CrimsonMoonLight72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Bah... 38 degrees? Your car would die in my climate. It was -38F a couple weeks ago.

Sometimes there is a communications glitch which can toss erroneous codes. Cycling the power should fix it (like it did for you). As HarryTee mentioned, I've also seen a ton of codes when I've disconnected and reconnected the battery cable.

If it comes back, then I'd worry about it, otherwise, it should be fine.
So your car sits outside (no garage) on -38f nights all night and it starts in the morning?! Wow it almost makes you think that cars somehow actively adapt too cold weather. We have same car. And my ride sits in an unheated garage all night and it gets to single digits occasionally in NJ. I go to start it in morning in the garage which is probably 10-15 degrees naturally warmer than outdoors, and it struggles for a second or so to crank over!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 11:47 AM   #6
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonMoonLight72 View Post
So your car sits outside (no garage) on -38f nights all night and it starts in the morning?! Wow it almost makes you think that cars somehow actively adapt too cold weather. We have same car. And my ride sits in an unheated garage all night and it gets to single digits occasionally in NJ. I go to start it in morning in the garage which is probably 10-15 degrees naturally warmer than outdoors, and it struggles for a second or so to crank over!
Oh sorry, no, normally I leave it in 45F heated garage. It was in the work parking lot after sitting for 9 hours. That day it did whirl a bit, fire, idle for a bit, stall. Then started and ran. I want to say on that day it did toss the driveline warning as well (which was super concerning considering I was 25 minutes from home, and it was colder than humans should have to deal with outside).

I joked with a "I think the car is just telling me to park and wait for warmer weather!"
Appreciate 0