F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bmw 435i f36 bimmerlink/ bimmercode option
GetBMWParts

05-24-2021, 02:44 PM   #1
Filip3615
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i 2015

Bmw 435i f36 bimmerlink/ bimmercode option

Hi, I own a 435i with FBO's including a Wagner catless dp and a supersprint cat-back exhaust with the original exhaust flap controller.

I had JB4 on my car a while ago, but bought MHD as I liked their options more.

I have been trying to find some way to let the cars exhaust flap open on cold-starts as this was possible with the JB4, but MHD tells me they cant assist me with this.
I have been looking and asking around and they said bimmerlink/ bimmercode had an option where you can manually open the exhaust flap.

Does anybody own these applications, and does opening the exhaust flap on cold start work with this?
What other purpose would this option else serve, as a 4 series always has the option eco-sport+ (which allows opening of the exhaust flap?) as far as I know.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 02:59 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

MHD's programming only allows "exhaust flap always open in sport mode" AFAIK.

Using coding, you can also control the exhaust flap. I read up on coding some time ago, but never implemented anything. Your best bet is to do some research and specifically go into the coding technical forum for coding-related questions: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=429

From what i recall, you either code it always open or always closed, i am not sure you can do more refined control than that.

Also, I am pretty sure my exhaust flap always opens for the first ~60 seconds on a cold start? So i am a little surprised yours doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 07:13 PM   #3
Filip3615
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
MHD's programming only allows "exhaust flap always open in sport mode" AFAIK.

Using coding, you can also control the exhaust flap. I read up on coding some time ago, but never implemented anything. Your best bet is to do some research and specifically go into the coding technical forum for coding-related questions: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=429

From what i recall, you either code it always open or always closed, i am not sure you can do more refined control than that.

Also, I am pretty sure my exhaust flap always opens for the first ~60 seconds on a cold start? So i am a little surprised yours doesn't.
AFAIK The F-series exhaust flap always stay closed for the first 30-60 seconds of cold start. Thats what ive head everywhere. So that yours would be open is strange in my regard.

I was not particularly interested in coding a permanent solution but wanted a temporary one where i could choose when to have the flap open and when not too. This is why I figure i would ask about the bimmerlink/ bimmercode options. As i see they have an option to control the exhaust flap.

I dont always want my flap open on cold starts, my neighbors think Its loud enough already, but would be fun to be able to make it really aggressive sometimes when out on a meet or such.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 11:29 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip3615 View Post
AFAIK The F-series exhaust flap always stay closed for the first 30-60 seconds of cold start. Thats what ive head everywhere. So that yours would be open is strange in my regard.

I was not particularly interested in coding a permanent solution but wanted a temporary one where i could choose when to have the flap open and when not too. This is why I figure i would ask about the bimmerlink/ bimmercode options. As i see they have an option to control the exhaust flap.

I dont always want my flap open on cold starts, my neighbors think Its loud enough already, but would be fun to be able to make it really aggressive sometimes when out on a meet or such.
Maybe i have it backwards. I just hear it move, ill check next time.

Well coding isnt "permanent" its just that you have to recode when you want to change it. They do have options to control it, but i dont think you can add custom logic or anything, just mess with preconfigured settings. I would check that section of the forums though as the more experienced coders will know.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 02:52 AM   #5
NEWTRON
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

Quote:

Yes, you can do this manually with bimmerlink. Just turn on the ignition, run the app and have it open the flap before starting the car.
VRSF RACE IC, FTP CP, VRSF CATLESS DP, BORLA ATAK CATBACK, CTS TURBO INTAKE, MST V2 INLET, PURE STAGE 2, TURBOSMART BOV,FTP TURBO OUTLET, SPOOL FX180, BM3 ETHANOL ANALYZER, PRECISION RACEWORKS COILS, BM3 STAGE 2+ E30
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 05:19 AM   #6
Filip3615
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTRON View Post
Quote:

Yes, you can do this manually with bimmerlink. Just turn on the ignition, run the app and have it open the flap before starting the car.
Have you tried this personally or just guessing? Im thinking about buying the app but my only need is the exhaust flap to open on cold starts and it feels dumb to buy it in case it wouldnt work.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 05:26 AM   #7
Filip3615
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:

Maybe i have it backwards. I just hear it move, ill check next time.

Well coding isnt "permanent" its just that you have to recode when you want to change it. They do have options to control it, but i dont think you can add custom logic or anything, just mess with preconfigured settings. I would check that section of the forums though as the more experienced coders will know.
No ofcourse coding wouldnt have to be permanent. Although it would be easier using an application like bimmerlink, than having to connect to the car with a mobile/ laptop to change some variables every time i would like to do a louder cold-start. Then turn them off after Its done.
Which is why I was asking about the application functionality
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 10:17 AM   #8
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

Filip - I have BimmerLink, and use it’s Flap Open Always setting. (It’s a really nice full-featured BMW-savvy code reader for the phone BTW). I use BimmerCode from the same folks too.

I’m also flashed with MHD. I did not enable the MHD flap-open-in-sport option (not wanting to mess with any conflicts between the tools and their coding roles.)

My exhaust flap always stays open (it’s obviously still hooked up, but there’s no operation at startup, it remains open) and I exclusively use BimmerLink to alter its setting. It’s a very quick BimmerLink code-flash to return it to stock operation, if needed.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 10:58 AM   #9
Filip3615
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionaut View Post
Filip - I have BimmerLink, and use it’s Flap Open Always setting. (It’s a really nice full-featured BMW-savvy code reader for the phone BTW). I use BimmerCode from the same folks too.

I’m also flashed with MHD. I did not enable the MHD flap-open-in-sport option (not wanting to mess with any conflicts between the tools and their coding roles.)

My exhaust flap always stays open (it’s obviously still hooked up, but there’s no operation at startup, it remains open) and I exclusively use BimmerLink to alter its setting. It’s a very quick BimmerLink code-flash to return it to stock operation, if needed.
Went ahead and bought it, Can confirm using bimmerLink will open your exhaust flap, even on cold starts, it works immediately without having to "map" or "flash" your engine.

Thanks for the input guys!

Last edited by Filip3615; 05-25-2021 at 05:10 PM..
Appreciate 0