F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Insurance joke
Studio RSR

11-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Insurance joke

After Swiftcover did the usual renewal hike in the hopes I wouldn't bother to switch and would just renew, I plumped for Sainsbury's Insurance of all places. Annual premium of £318 seemed quite competitive with the the other quotes I was getting from £250 or so up to £500.

When I got the policy the car was listed as a 'BMW 328i Sport AU', fair enough they've got the model line wrong so I wrote and told them when sending my NCD letter. They replied that I needed to call them and so I just did and of course had the misfortune of dealing with someone who 'knows things I don't know'.

Anyway, the upshot of the call was that:
  • To insure a 2012 BMW 328i Sport Auto is £318
  • To insure a 2012 BMW 328i Luxury Auto is... £781.50 !!!!!

No amount of telling the person that it's essentially the same car just a different trim level, made any difference. They were adamant that they were right and that they must have access to information I couldn't possibly know... yeah, like it's a new-ish model and they haven't updated their underwriting tables!! Needless to say I have cancelled and am looking elsewhere.

So, if you have a Luxury or Modern then BEWARE of Sainsbury's car insurance unless you want to get stung

EDIT
Seems the problem is with the Luxury line saloon cars. Insurance companies just don't know about them.

...and what's also stupid is that there's no such thing as a 2012 328i Sport (the one at the bottom of the list).

Life is a state of mind

Last edited by RobUK; 11-19-2012 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Bloody Nora! Well shave my legs and call me grandma! I am truly shocked by such utter stupidity and crass greed.

I wonder what an M Sport will cost?

I'll start checking for mine soon if I ever get the car.
Let the fun and games begin.
      11-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Check out LV guys they are very good.
      11-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
Gareth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 320D M Sport

I'm 24 with good driving history and 6 years NCB... was expecting my 320D M Sport to be awful on insurance but worked out at around £550 which includes class 2 business for me and wife.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Good luck mate getting that sorted, especially when the 'computer says no'. You may need to shop around for somewhere that does list it.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 03:55 AM   #6
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Wow, called Sainsbury's again today (to ask for a refund of the £26.50 cancellation fee and my proof of NCD letter back) and was met with the old "we'll say anything so long as it makes us sound right and gets you off the phone" tactic (aka bullsh!t).

I actually went and had a look at the table they use for what models of 2012-onwards 328 you can insure, and to anyone who knows their F30/F31's it's clearly WRONG. Firstly the Luxury saloon isn't even listed although all the other models of 328 are. Secondly, they list the 328i Sport (as well as the M Sport) as being available. So I challenged them and this is what they said....

The Luxury model is a LIMITED EDITION model, that's why it's not listed. Yeah?? In that case anyone who wants one better rush out and get one quick cos they won't be around forever. Oh and better let BMW know as well

The 328i Sport is listed (alongside the M Sport) because that's for people who import them. WTF?? Why didn't I think of that, order a 328i Sport from somewhere outside the UK then go to all the hassle of importing it because as it happens, insuring the thing with Sainsbury's would actually be cheaper than insuring a UK spec 328i Luxury!

When I dared to suggest that just maybe they'd made a mistake and had listed the Luxury saloon as a Sport saloon I was told that their tables are updated regularly and can't possibly be wrong. I'll leave you to decide...
  • 328 (12ON) SE AUTO 1997cc 4DR
  • 328 (12ON) AU SE EST 1997cc 5DR
  • 328 (12ON) AU M SPORT 4D 1997cc 4DR
  • 328 (12ON) AU MODERN EST 1997cc 5DR
  • 328 (12ON) LUXURY EST 1997cc 5DR
  • 328 (12ON) AUTO MODERN 1997cc 4DR
  • 328 (12ON) EST M SPORT AU 1997cc 5DR
  • 328 (12ON) SPORT AU 1997cc 4DR irony is, had BMW made this car available in the UK, it's the one I'd have bought!

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 04:03 AM   #7
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

You want to insure with ... a Supermarket?

Just a thought, but have you tried an insurance company?
      11-20-2012, 04:08 AM   #8
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
You want to insure with ... a Supermarket?

Just a thought, but have you tried an insurance company?
You're right, and maybe this is a lucky escape (as well as evidence of what a bunch of idiots they are)

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 05:25 AM   #9
swanseahammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI 330e M Sport

Garage List
2008 320d SE  [0.00]
I'm with Admiral and have recently bought a F30 320d ED Auto - ex BMW management car from London 2012 so when I phoned up to change the policy from my 2008 E90 no problem Then I had the new policy doc - wrong car completely - phoned up to query it - took them an hour to correctly identify the car. At least I didn't have to pay any more. Price was almost the same as the E90.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
F30FAN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport -

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
You're right, and maybe this is a lucky escape (as well as evidence of what a bunch of idiots they are)
Rob you got off lightly...what a load of old cobblers!

This is what happens when a grocery store wakes up one morning thinking its a bank and can sell financial products...

Did you get a quote from BMW Finance? LV is also recommended, I will be getting quotes from both..

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781108
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 03:01 AM   #11
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I had an annual quote off BMW back in July but it was around the £670 mark. I did get a quote from LV and while I've heard they're a good company, they couldn't get under £558, still about £200 over the average I was being quoted. After cancelling the Sainsbury's policy and getting a few quotes, I went back to my original insurers and challenged their renewal premium of £399 and they immediately dropped it to £323 without any quibbling. I've got GAP insurance already but will probably save the extra couple of hundred quid and go with LV at the next renewal to be honest.

I know for a fact that Sainsbury's have got it wrong, but the thing is they almost certainly aren't using their own underwriting tables, they share them with a group of 'front' companies. You go and get online quotes from certain other companies and you'll see the exact same descriptions used for cars (and the exact same omission of the 328i Luxury Saloon). In fact the whole insurance business is very incestuous and a lot of the back-end administration is handled by a few large insurers - I used to work in the insurance business until I quit about 7 years ago, partly because I just don't like the way they operate. I could tell you stories that would make your teeth curl

The final straw was that Sainsbury's insist on charging me £26.50 for cancelling the policy... that they got wrong! My demands on the phone for this to be waived were ignored and I was told to write in, which I have done, although I'm sure their first ploy will be to blow me off with some 'clause' or other, but I won't give up that easily - it's not the twenty six quid, it's the principle

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 03:13 AM   #12
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Good for you, Rob. Too many people roll over and take it from behind. Give 'em hell!
      11-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #13
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
I had an annual quote off BMW back in July but it was around the £670 mark. I did get a quote from LV and while I've heard they're a good company, they couldn't get under £558, still about £200 over the average I was being quoted. After cancelling the Sainsbury's policy and getting a few quotes, I went back to my original insurers and challenged their renewal premium of £399 and they immediately dropped it to £323 without any quibbling. I've got GAP insurance already but will probably save the extra couple of hundred quid and go with LV at the next renewal to be honest.

I know for a fact that Sainsbury's have got it wrong, but the thing is they almost certainly aren't using their own underwriting tables, they share them with a group of 'front' companies. You go and get online quotes from certain other companies and you'll see the exact same descriptions used for cars (and the exact same omission of the 328i Luxury Saloon). In fact the whole insurance business is very incestuous and a lot of the back-end administration is handled by a few large insurers - I used to work in the insurance business until I quit about 7 years ago, partly because I just don't like the way they operate. I could tell you stories that would make your teeth curl

The final straw was that Sainsbury's insist on charging me £26.50 for cancelling the policy... that they got wrong! My demands on the phone for this to be waived were ignored and I was told to write in, which I have done, although I'm sure their first ploy will be to blow me off with some 'clause' or other, but I won't give up that easily - it's not the twenty six quid, it's the principle
Rob, I'm in the process of renewing my insurance as well at the moment, as my current insurers have hiked the price one too often.

BMW wanted £340.

LV were the cheapest at £300 until on recommendation I did an online quote with Marks & Spencer Insurance (which is actually through Ageas).

They've quoted me £244 including protected no claims & legal insurance. I know some people are sniffy about insuring "with a grocery company" but at least M&S is an upmarket grocery company.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #14
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I've insured with M&S before and had to claim (against someone else). They were very good
      11-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #15
F30FAN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Rob.. you sock it to them where the sun don't shine. Don't let them take a cent from you.

You may have a claim under the Sales of Goods Act 1974 for being mis-sold a product i.e.. not fit for purpose? Not sure if this covers insurance policies.

Did you pay via your credit card? Also to pile the pressure on If you paid via the credit card you can pursue the credit card company as they would be just as liable as Sainsbury.

Good Luck..

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 04:32 AM   #16
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Had an update today - they have agreed to waive the £26.50 cancellation fee on the basis that when I applied for cover I used the registration number of the car which their system incorrectly identified as a 328i Sport.

They did say however that they couldn't change their system to include a 328i Luxury saloon because their table data comes from Thatcham who in turn get this from the manufacturers and the DVLA, so it would have to change further up the line. This means there are a number of insurance companies out there who have the same incorrect data. So if you have or are thinking of getting a 328i Luxury saloon, either check your policy wording carefully... or buy a 330d instead!

PS - My registration cert has the car model down as '328i Luxury Turbo Auto' so for once it's not DVLA's fault.

Life is a state of mind

Last edited by RobUK; 12-05-2012 at 04:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #17
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Insurance Companies are beyond the pale and are tantamount to being fraudulent.

Admiral withdrew £730 from my credit card account this year even though I was not insured with them. I'd cancelled my Insurance Policy by email, letter and phone as the premium was too high. They could not take out another years (2012-2013) premium as I had cancelled the Credit card I had originally used. I went with Esure instead as their premium was £520. This is for my Golf GTI. Imagine my shock when I got their renewal request today!

Anyway, they were very apologetic and will return the amount in the next 3 working days. I'll be checking my account like a hawk.

So beware of Insurance Companies belonging to the Eui Group.They automatically renew your policy.

Their list of companies is:
http://www.admiralgroup.co.uk/busine..._companies.php
      12-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #18
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep

Most insurance companies do that know I'm afraid. Some people think it is a good thing, but don't most of phone around for quotes. Elephant helped themselves to my money last year and Direct Line stated they were going to do the same this year. I had to call and cancel.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #19
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Didn't realise they did this, thanks chaps, direct debit from elephant cancelled Just got a quote from elephant for the 330d today, and they wouldn't insure it because it had 'more than 6' factory-fitted optional extras?! I think elephant don't differentiate between a modification and an option, or know the difference, hence the problem, I've had similar issues with them before...
      12-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #20
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep

For me I'd paid in full with elephant on a credit card and they took the money again a year later even though I hadn't wanted to renew. I hadn't realised it was in the small print of the renewal. I didn't even notice until my credit card bill came through.

I got the money back but I had to prove I'd insured elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #21
F30FAN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Just got a quote from LV at £417 with an excess of £250 not bad compared to BMW Insurance's quote of £830 with an excess of £450...yikes!

I know were I will be spending my money after my free 7 day trial...

Insurance companies the biggest scammers out there today...the sh*t they pull is unbelievable..

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 03:04 AM   #22
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW83 View Post
Didn't realise they did this, thanks chaps, direct debit from elephant cancelled Just got a quote from elephant for the 330d today, and they wouldn't insure it because it had 'more than 6' factory-fitted optional extras?! I think elephant don't differentiate between a modification and an option, or know the difference, hence the problem, I've had similar issues with them before...
Did you know they are the same company as "Admiral".

Last edited by JOHNBMWM5; 12-07-2012 at 03:22 AM..
Appreciate 0